New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
**I'm curious what other people think of this. Personally, I think it's BS. People should be able to make their own choices. Not be told what to do.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html

New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

BLOOMBERG-articleLarge.jpg

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg on Wednesday with Linda I. Gibbs, deputy mayor for health, as he discussed a plan to ban large sugary beverages. Next to each soda is the amount of sugar in it.

By MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUM

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

“New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something,” he said. “I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do.”

A spokesman for the New York City Beverage Association, an arm of the soda industry’s national trade group, criticized the city’s proposal on Wednesday. The industry has clashed repeatedly with the city’s health department, saying it has unfairly singled out soda; industry groups have bought subway advertisements promoting their cause.

“The New York City health department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top,” the industry spokesman, Stefan Friedman, said. “It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity. These zealous proposals just distract from the hard work that needs to be done on this front.”

Mr. Bloomberg’s proposal requires the approval of the Board of Health, a step that is considered likely because the members are all appointed by him, and the board’s chairman is the city’s health commissioner, who joined the mayor in supporting the measure on Wednesday.

Mr. Bloomberg has made public health one of the top priorities of his lengthy tenure, and has championed a series of aggressive regulations, including bans on smoking in restaurants and parks, a prohibition against artificial trans fat in restaurant food and a requirement for health inspection grades to be posted in restaurant windows.

The measures have led to occasional derision of the mayor as Nanny Bloomberg, by those who view the restrictions as infringements on personal freedom. But many of the measures adopted in New York have become models for other cities, including restrictions on smoking and trans fats, as well as the use of graphic advertising to combat smoking and soda consumption, and the demand that chain restaurants post calorie contents next to prices.

In recent years, soda has emerged as a battleground in efforts to counter obesity. Across the nation, some school districts have banned the sale of soda in schools, and some cities have banned the sale of soda in public buildings.

In New York City, where more than half of adults are obese or overweight, Dr. Thomas Farley, the health commissioner, blames sweetened drinks for up to half of the increase in city obesity rates over the last 30 years. About a third of New Yorkers drink one or more sugary drinks a day, according to the city. Dr. Farley said the city had seen higher obesity rates in neighborhoods where soda consumption was more common.

The ban would not apply to drinks with fewer than 25 calories per 8-ounce serving, like zero-calorie Vitamin Waters and unsweetened iced teas, as well as diet sodas.

Restaurants, delis, movie theater and ballpark concessions would be affected, because they are regulated by the health department. Carts on sidewalks and in Central Park would also be included, but not vending machines or newsstands that serve only a smattering of fresh food items.

At fast-food chains, where sodas are often dispersed at self-serve fountains, restaurants would be required to hand out cup sizes of 16 ounces or less, regardless of whether a customer opts for a diet drink. But free refills — and additional drink purchases — would be allowed.

Corner stores and bodegas would be affected if they are defined by the city as “food service establishments.” Those stores can most easily be identified by the health department letter grades they are required to display in their windows.

The mayor, who said he occasionally drank a diet soda “on a hot day,” contested the idea that the plan would limit consumers’ choices, saying the option to buy more soda would always be available.

“Your argument, I guess, could be that it’s a little less convenient to have to carry two 16-ounce drinks to your seat in the movie theater rather than one 32 ounce,” Mr. Bloomberg said in a sarcastic tone. “I don’t think you can make the case that we’re taking things away.”

He also said he foresaw no adverse effect on local businesses, and he suggested that restaurants could simply charge more for smaller drinks if their sales were to drop.

The Bloomberg administration had made previous, unsuccessful efforts to make soda consumption less appealing. The mayor supported a state tax on sodas, but the measure died in Albany, and he tried to restrict the use of food stamps to buy sodas, but the idea was rejected by federal regulators.

With the new proposal, City Hall is now trying to see how much it can accomplish without requiring outside approval. Mayoral aides say they are confident that they have the legal authority to restrict soda sales, based on the city’s jurisdiction over local eating establishments, the same oversight that allows for the health department’s letter-grade cleanliness rating system for restaurants.

In interviews at the AMC Loews Village, in the East Village in Manhattan, some filmgoers said restricting large soda sales made sense to them.

“I think it’s a good idea,” said Sara Gochenauer, 21, a personal assistant from the Upper West Side. Soda, she said, “rots your teeth.”

But others said consumers should be free to choose.

“If people want to drink 24 ounces, it’s their decision,” said Zara Atal, 20, a college student from the Upper East Side.

Lawrence Goins, 50, a postal worker who lives in Newark, took a more pragmatic approach.
“Some of those movies are three, three and a half hours long,” Mr. Goins said. “You got to quench your thirst.”

Vicki,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
It makes no sense. People who want to drink that much soda ( we call it "pop" here :lol: ), will just buy more of the smaller bottles or go in for more refills with their smaller cups. I call bullshit.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: Vicki

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Exactly; many self serve restaurants in NYC allow free soda refills anyway so this is a joke. This doesn't affect me personally as I'm really not a soda drinker - just once in a while and I enjoy it as a treat. Bloomberg is probably focused on his legacy as this is his last term. I remember he said early on that if he could charge $20 for a pack of cigarettes he would. He's been an environmentally and health conscious mayor- for instance alot of new bike paths were added through his tenure. A city mayor is always an easy target for criticism but I think in retrospect most New Yorkers will regard him favorably. But yeah I agree that this soda rule is meaningless and absurd.

wthanna

Where does it end. I don't need to be protected from myself. There are things the government does not need to be involved in, period. Educate me, but let me decide what to do with that knowledge and what risks are acceptable to me!

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
^ It will never end until they control every aspect of your life. If they ban it and "criminalize" it you will still be able to get it just like what I've been doing with MJ since 1967. Until people stop voting into office those who have this uncontrollable desire to make you do what they want you to do, it will never end.

Papa Woody,

ManicMaurice

I live in NYC and I actually appreciate the transfat ban and the law requiring calorie counts on menus, but this new soda restriction is ridiculous. The new smaller bottles have been showing up in bodegas (convenience stores) over the past couple months, but the catch is that they usually cost the same as the "normal" size bottles and cans.

Oh yeah, and a pack of cigarettes costs $12. This one I'm torn about because I'm a former smoker, but there's definitely a part of me that doesn't like the idea of a nanny state.

ll11

I think a small soda at the movie theater might be more than 16 ounces, they're going to have to replace all their cups.

ll11,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
is the popcorn bucket water tight? May i have a bucket of pop?

That's a good idea! :lol:

Or....one could just buy the bigger size drinks (in bottles) where they are available (news stands) and sneak them into the theatre!

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Those are apparently going away too.

Not going away everywhere. Here's a copy and paste from the article:

Restaurants, delis, movie theater and ballpark concessions would be affected, because they are regulated by the health department. Carts on sidewalks and in Central Park would also be included, but not vending machines or news stands that serve only a smattering of fresh food items.

A person could stop at a news stand or vending machine to pick up the bigger sizes there, no?

Vicki,

ManicMaurice

Not going away everywhere. Here's a copy and paste from the article ...

Guess I need to pay a little more attention when I'm reading. :D

So yes, it looks like they could just pickup a "normal" size soda from a bodega that doesn't include a deli section or a street vendor. Interesting ... doesn't sound fair and balanced to me.

ManicMaurice,

Nycdeisel

It makes no sense. People who want to drink that much soda ( we call it "pop" here :lol: ), will just buy more of the smaller bottles or go in for more refills with their smaller cups. I call bullshit.

Those were my thoughts too. They will just have to buy more smaller containers, in many cases.
Seems to be just to be for more money, I remember maybe last year or so albany was trying to raise the tax on soda. Just like they did with cigarettes! and that worked out so well :rolleyes:
and now a pack of cigarettes here can go over $10 a pack here, its sure making a lot of tax money thats for sure!

EDIT: AND LOOK AT THE PICTURE! Its practically hilarious. Hes pointing and shes laughing. it really is a riot!

Nycdeisel,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I think it depends if you agree that America has an obesity problem, or if it is just individual choice to be so fat and it's not anyone else's place to try and change that. I kind of do think it's a problem, because some people (corporations) are sustaining, aggravating and exploiting this situation for profit- they can and do change our consumption habits, not for our benefit and in some cases to our detriment- so some action is warranted and needed. However, it does reek of 'the nanny state' and so many take a reaction against it. But how much do you really love those huge drinks portions? Not as much as coca cola loves to sell them, surely.

There's heaps and heaps of research showing a direct correlatation between the amount consumed and the portion size offered. There was an experiment of tv just the night before last where subjects were allowed free reign to eat as much ice cream of whatever flavour from an ice cream buffet as they wanted. Some had a large bowl and some had a small bowl. They were monitored for how much they chose to eat before they decided of their own free will that they'd had enough, and hey presto, those that were given the large bowl needed on average 44% more ice cream to feel satiated. That's a lot extra for the exact same result. The vendor looses out, but the consumer didn't. (that's just an experiment on tv- there's much more proper research out there demonstrating similar). I don't think that the amount we choose to consume is necessarily as independent as we'd like to think, and so something to even the balance is not unwarranted seeing as it's causing massive public health issues. I'm not sure if this is quite the right way though- 'bans' aren't a particularly effective route for anything IMO. Taxes are probably better, but it's easy to end up with an equally stupid solution. Maybe attempts to encourage appropriate portion sizes in appropriate places isn't sooo bad, though encouragement is preferable to regulation. It would be different if we had the same budget for public information as the drinks companies do for their advertising, when I could argue that we give the public all the information they need to decide for themselves, but we don't and so the drinks voice is far louder and more influential.

edit: I just thought I'd add that Scotland's famous and favourite soft drink was banned in the USA, so I've heard, due to the ingredients being carcinogenic or something! :o They had to reformulate IRN-BRU especially to export to the US market, though I think we've still got the carcinogenic stuff- sugar is the least of my worries :uhoh: (not that I drink the awful shite)

WatTyler,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Those were my thoughts too. They will just have to buy more smaller containers, in many cases.
Seems to be just to be for more money, I remember maybe last year or so albany was trying to raise the tax on soda. Just like they did with cigarettes! and that worked out so well :rolleyes:
and now a pack of cigarettes here can go over $10 a pack here, its sure making a lot of tax money thats for sure!

EDIT: AND LOOK AT THE PICTURE! Its practically hilarious. Hes pointing and shes laughing. it really is a riot!

Bloomberg could cut the amount of cigarettes that's in a pack down to ten - that would damn well practically insure that people smoke less. That's win win for the consumer and the city as well.

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
haha, they tried the opposite in Ireland, and mooted it here- we already have 10's but it was mainly young teenagers buying the more affordable packs of 10, so they banned them.

They've just decided to remove them from view in the shops as well- in a couple of years it will be a strictly 'under the counter' type business, so you won't even be able to see the branding.

WatTyler,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Tobacco could end up being the new marijuana with people buying seeds and growing their own. If I lived in a tropical climate and still smoked this would be in the realm of feasibility.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
It disturbs and bothers me. Making that decision for someone is not appropriate in my book. If someone wants to drink soda they will drink it. The only poeple it adversely affects is the low income individuals. I know some poeple who shared a large drink at McDonald's because it was cheaper then buying two medium drinks. I also knew individuals who did not buy soda at the store and would get a Super Sized soda to last all day. I also think it is laughable that diet sodas and some fruit juices are allowed. The jury is still out on artificial sweeteners and the caramel coloring they add to diet soda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-Methylimidazole

Fruit juice often has about as much sugar as soda:

Coke:
20 oz (590 ml) Bottle
Sugars, total: 65g
Calories, total: 240
Calories from sugar: 240

Apple Juice:
16 oz Bottle
Sugars, total: 52g
Calories, total: 240
Calories from sugar: 208

The apple juice is 13g sugar per 4 oz. 20oz of apple juice would be the same as a coke in sugar content

Everyone on the news says something about walking back to the machine to get another refill. What do you do when you get your meal and go eat somewhere else. When I was living in downtown Seattle I would get a large drink and go eat in a park. Once you leave the restaurant you are not allowed to go back inside and refill your soda.

Speaking from experience I drank soda all the time. I was about 310 lbs. I am down to 219lbs. I have lost 49lbs since February of this year. I decided to start taking weight loss seriously. It was not until I decided I wanted to loose weight that I quit drinking soda and changed my habits. In high school they took away the vending machines. So I brought a small ice chest with 6 sodas and stored them in my locker for the day. If I wanted soda I went to my locker. If I had any left over I sold them for a mark up. I had to decide to change my habits, because I wanted to, in order to actually have any motivation to do so. Once I decided to take it seriously. I switched to drinking other things.

I am always someone who likes to drink ALLOT of water. I drink more then the US recommended 2.7 liters. When I go to a movie I like to teat myself to the expensive soda. This new rule would mean I would have to leave the theater in order to refill the drink. I usually finish the soda before I leave. I maybe see one movie a year. It would bother me to have to drink the water from the soda machine. Which means I would end up buying a bottle water and probably finishing it half way through the movie. I wonder... since they still will have large size cups for Diet soda, fruit juices, and unsweetened teat. Most of the fountain drink machines are self serve. Could you ask for a large size cup for water and then just fill it up with soda yourself?

To think making access to something harder so that poeple will stop trying to consume that thing is just naive. Personally, it really bothers me anytime someone ties to make a decision for you.

Slightly Medicated,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
It shouldn't be about banning the drinks, I wish people would realize the danger and harm of the drinks and stop supporting them. If everyone stopped drinking Coke, the company would die.

weedemon

enthusiast
I agree. we shouldn't limit that. I think education NOT LIMITS is the answer to the problem. it will go away if people know it. and those who don't care after are committing suicide anyways.

I try my best not to drink pop. Water is my drink of choice. but i have been known to enjoy a glass of pop with some rum in it :p

we should be able to do whatever we want to our bodies. I am in favour of legalizing every substance. I saw a funny E-card image the other day it said: "I'm not saying lets go kill all the stupid people.... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort it self out."

I agree with that statement to a point. I suspect I would be dead if this was true... Who here has never made a mistake? ;)

Ultimately though we should be allowed to make our own choices. The one and only governing rule on this planet should be "cause no harm" if we did that over everything else... I think we might be in paradise.

Irie

Chant Down Babylon
And I will subsidize all your medications and surgeries for obesity related diseases and diabetes.
Drinking soda.....why? Do you actually see the amount of sugar in front of each product in the above pictures????
That's just plain disgusting.

Irie,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
This is political bullshit. This law wouldn't help anyone. The only people who get help and change are those like Slightly Medicated...and congratulations to you and thanks for sharing your story!

If they really wanted to change things they would go after big food companies and change the whole ballgame, instead of making a mountain out of one itty-bitty part of the problem.

Nycdeisel

The sugar packets mean shit. Its just a little blip to make you think they care about your health or your sugar intake in anyway. Besides, these sodas use High Fructose Corn Syrup! Not even real, GMO and pesticide laden sugar!

Nycdeisel,

vapirtoo

I think Bloomberg is testing the waters to see how much B.S. we NYers will take before
standing up for our freedoms. Repression always starts with small freedoms being eradicated.
In a free society all substances should be legal ! Education is the only way.

Top Bottom