New York Cannabis News

Razhumikin

Golly gee, NY is fucking up legalization. Who would have thought?
In some ways yea, but in other ways like, theres basically unlimited weed in the city now and its super cheap. Way better when they legalized in mass and then no stores opened up for years and there were no good options. I could never have bought a sub-100 dollar ounce of good weed here 3 years ago

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I found this page that lists all open rec stores in NYS.

One is in the Bronx, a temporary, delivery-only store.

I checked, and I'm in the delivery area! (Lower Westchester) This is huge.
Okay, menu is a bit limited so far, but I could not resist making my very first LEGAL Rec purchase in my home state.
No charge for delivery, only the 13% (in total) sales tax.
SO, within 2 hours now I'll accept delivery of 1/2 oz of Flowerhouse - Blueberry Danish - Smalls at $130, out the door $146.90. Kinda strong (pricing), but I'm pretty excited! 🤞

Edit:
Arrived right on time, a lovely small bud.
Shout out to Flowerhouse up in Walden, NY, nice job! :nod:

Last edited:

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Nothing against the Vets, but
Legalization in NY has been a clusterfuck.
This is also going to put farms out of business, a second year in a row that some will have no buyers for the crops. The domino effect will hit every level of processing, testing, distribution, etc.

Without commenting on the original intent of the program, I can say the whole narrative is now rife with unintended, entangled consequences!

As William Bendix used to say, "What a revolting development this is!"

vinnyzan

Any one doing any shopping at the licensed dispensaries ? There are some deals to be had if you keep your eyes open. I have been going to union sq travel agency for 1 g carts by 'Hepworth' for $50. Also I saw they had an oz of Blueberry Danish by 'Flower house' for $230 so I grabbed that as well.

I'm seeing 1/8ths for $25 by 'LeaL at Housing works and am wondering if any one has tried these yet. The only flower I've tried from any of the licensed places is the blueberry Danish I mentioned and the quality of that was pretty good.

Concentrate prices are still absolutely insane at the licensed dispensaries. I'm wondering when they will come down to earth. I don't get why they don't have any reasonably priced concentrates. If these farms are sitting on all this product why not make some concentrates instead of letting it sit ?

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
If these farms are sitting on all this product why not make some concentrates instead of letting it sit ?

Not long ago these upstate farmers were just doing hemp. The proper machinery for large scale distillation is probably very expensive. I haven’t bothered with any of these new stores due to the price gouging, and lack of variety of products, as you pointed out. This plan of keeping everything from plant to store exclusive to NY State is so far not attracting to me. My supplier gets a diversity of products shipped in, and is 50% cheaper, NO TAX!

vinnyzan

Not long ago these upstate farmers were just doing hemp. The proper machinery for large scale distillation is probably very expensive. I haven’t bothered with any of these new stores due to the price gouging, and lack of variety of products, as you pointed out. This plan of keeping everything from plant to store exclusive to NY State is so far not attracting to me. My supplier gets a diversity of products shipped in, and is 50% cheaper, NO TAX!
Do we not have companies that can process the flower into concentrates? Isn't that how it usually works ? I'm sure some do it in house but I thought typically there is a business that just does extractions.

I can't blame you for avoiding the licensed dispensaries. We still have a long way to go but I have noticed some improvement in pricing for certain things.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Do we not have companies that can process the flower into concentrates?

I believe it’s a fairly specialized process, and with all the doubt and legal issues NY had, I doubt anyone was going to invest in the space, equipment, etc., on pure speculation at the time. Assuming the demand is strong, they may eventually catch up, but they are not “companies” sitting around waiting to process concentrates. I assume what we have seen on the dispensary menus are small batch runs with those that had some equipment in house already. Only speculation on my part, but as you already said, with all the reports of huge excess supplies of flower, it would make sense to convert it to oil, which would last longer then stale weed, but without large tanks etc., perhaps they have no immediate choice, especially if they have to keep it in NY state.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: NYC_Frank

vinnyzan

I believe it’s a fairly specialized process, and with all the doubt and legal issues NY had, I doubt anyone was going to invest in the space, equipment, etc., on pure speculation at the time. Assuming the demand is strong, they may eventually catch up, but they are not “companies” sitting around waiting to process concentrates. I assume what we have seen on the dispensary menus are small batch runs with those that had some equipment in house already. Only speculation on my part, but as you already said, with all the reports of huge excess supplies of flower, it would make sense to convert it to oil, which would last longer then stale weed, but without large tanks etc., perhaps they have no immediate choice, especially if they have to keep it in NY state.
https://cannabis.ny.gov/adult-use-conditional-processor if you go to the link above scroll down until you see 'Resources' under that click List of AUCP licenses and this will take you to a PDF with a list of all the LLCs with AUCP licenses ....there is over 30 'companies' listed. Some of them I recognize for also having licences to grow but it seems some are dedicated to just processing. Maybe they still haven't invested in large scale production like you said.

Out of this list, figure some are growers who are processing there own harvest in house Some of these license holders are probably just focusing on edibles. Out of this list I wonder how many are equipped to make extracts.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker

vinnyzan

I read an article that was sort of a reaction to the one you posted: https://www.timesunion.com/state/article/this-ruined-life-n-y-cannabis-meeting-reveals-18361515.php

"In addition to sitting on several hundred thousands of pounds of marijuana they could not sell, the farmers, who may only grow outdoors, have faced a second growing season this year that has been plagued by heavy rain that has caused crops to falter and become exposed to mold."

“You’ve got to allow us to indoor grows immediately if you’re going to open it up to the registered organizations,”

I myself was wondering why all the recreational bud is outdoor, I didn't know cultivators weren't allowed to grow inside. Does anyone know what the reason is to not allow indoor grows to cultivators?

Also couldn't they have just opened up retail licensing and kept everything else the same ? Seems like they did a total 180. I feel like people are upset that not enough stores have been able to open. They could have changed the retail licensing with out opening the flood gates to companies like curaleaf to compete with these upstate farms.
Im all for an open market but I can't help but feel like they sold a false bill of goods to pretty much any one who holds any type of license. Instead of turning the whole thing upside down why not just address retail licensing. They had different licensing for Cultivators, processors and retail. If the other two were working as intended why not just focus on retail which is objectively lagging to say the least...

Top Bottom