Modifying the Hakko 556

2clicker

Observer
check this out!

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49,349&PID=5032&Page=1
FX-601_v2.jpg

this must be the replacement to the 556se iron. it looks like its built more like the 456 series (which is a good thing), but with the adjustability of the 556se. if that is the case then it will indeed replace the 556se. they will be available Jan 18th and i will likely be getting one.

this could also mean that the price of the 556se may go down a bit.

stay tuned

2clicker,

mari

2clicker said:
check this out!

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/SPENCERvex/DBV/FX-601_v2.jpg

this must be the replacement to the 556se iron. it looks like its built more like the 456 series (which is a good thing), but with the adjustability of the 556se.
stay tuned

That looks better than what i got. I found a 30w ceramic core soldering iron from "Edi-Tronic" germany for 8 euro. I exposed the heating element and let it heat up for ~10 hours - the smell was pretty bad at first.. now it is fairly inoffensive but still noticeable.

How smelly was your ceramic piece after a few hours of heating?

Here is a test of the vape action with a packed Arizer solo stem - the chamber combusts if left sitting on the tip of the heating element, but works well between 1-2cm distance.

YFnt9.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing your experiments.

mari,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Mari, the Hakko is RoHS compliant, that's one of the reasons it is so popular among potheads.

I'm pretty sure yours isn't. Be careful with that thing please.

OhTheAgony,

mari

OhTheAgony said:
Mari, the Hakko is RoHS compliant, that's one of the reasons it is so popular among potheads.

Yes thanks, and how smelly was your unit after burning-in?

mari,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I don't have one myself. I live in 220V-land & the Hakko's don't like that unfortunately.

OhTheAgony,

2clicker

Observer
mari said:
OhTheAgony said:

Yes thanks, and how smelly was your unit after burning-in?

of the 4 hakko vapes ive made and used not one of them had any smell at all. im quite certain that the hakko heaters are identical to the heaters 7th Floor uses on the SSV, DBV, and LSV. they dont produce any smell either.

i would discontinue use of that iron and replace it with a hakko.

2clicker,

Kief

Medicated
check this out!

this must be the replacement to the 556se iron. it looks like its built more like the 456 series (which is a good thing), but with the adjustability of the 556se. if that is the case then it will indeed replace the 556se. they will be available Jan 18th and i will likely be getting one.

this could also mean that the price of the 556se may go down a bit.

stay tuned

I've been staying tuned, any more info on the new Hakko FX-601 ? Is the DBV heater cover going to fit?

Kief,

2clicker

Observer
im going to have to apologize. i dropped the ball on this one. i never ordered one to find out. however im am sure it can be made to work. i wish i had more info.

sorry kief

2clicker,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
i was wondering if you could use a test tube to isolate the element and put the SSV/DBV cover on top? :D

vorrange,

2clicker

Observer
i was wondering if you could use a test tube to isolate the element and put the SSV/DBV cover on top? :D

i tried something similar to this. i located a local glass place in town and had some small boro tubes cut with the perfect inner dia. for the hakko element. it worked great for about 5 minutes until the heat was too much for the boro. the mini tube cracked inside my DBV HC and a couple of pieces fused themselves to the ceramic element. i wasnt sure if i should continue to use that element anymore so i replaced it.

i have not tried to cover the ceramic since.

2clicker,

Kief

Medicated
im going to have to apologize. i dropped the ball on this one. i never ordered one to find out. however im am sure it can be made to work. i wish i had more info.

sorry kief

No problem 2clicker, I'm just glad you're around to help out. If you have any new tips, ideas, or other parts sources... I would be grateful. About to dive into this project with the new iron, looks like it will cost me about $150 for everything.

I don't think you will be able to fit anything else under a DBV cover, It would have to be all custom. There's a few posts about it here: http://www.fuckcombustion.com/threads/homemade-vaporizers.114/page-8#post-28813 . I did consider about doing something like that, but I think the heat-up time would suffer and it would be hard/expensive to have made.

Kief,

2clicker

Observer
No problem 2clicker, I'm just glad you're around to help out. If you have any new tips, ideas, or other parts sources... I would be grateful. About to dive into this project with the new iron, looks like it will cost me about $150 for everything.

which iron are you going with? i ask because $150 seems a tad high.

2clicker,

Kief

Medicated
which iron are you going with? i ask because $150 seems a tad high.

I'd be getting the new Hakko FX-601, found it here for $70 http://www.anythinginstainedglass.com/tools/ironsHakko.html . My reasoning behind this is all about heat up time, "Heats up 5x faster than the 456" ... whatever that adds up to. I didn't want to say it like this, but here it goes anyway... I want my vape to hit like a VHW and heat up in 60 seconds or less. After researching for several months, this project seems like the best fit for me. I welcome any suggestions.

Kief,

2clicker

Observer
I'd be getting the new Hakko FX-601, found it here for $70 http://www.anythinginstainedglass.com/tools/ironsHakko.html . My reasoning behind this is all about heat up time, "Heats up 5x faster than the 456" ... whatever that adds up to. I didn't want to say it like this, but here it goes anyway... I want my vape to hit like a VHW and heat up in 60 seconds or less. After researching for several months, this project seems like the best fit for me. I welcome any suggestions.

you are on the right track. my 556SE heats up in about 80 seconds to full temp. and boy does it rip.

$70 iron
$20 heater cover
$10 silicone rubber
$10 and maybe a wand and some tubing...?

after shipping id say your looking at around $110-$125 for everything you need. pretty good price for such a gnarly vape. please post pics!

2clicker,

Kief

Medicated
you are on the right track. my 556SE heats up in about 80 seconds to full temp. and boy does it rip.

I needed to hear that, thank you. If your 556se only takes 80 seconds and the new FX-601 is suppose to be faster, it should meet my desired 60 second or less heat-up time.

after shipping id say your looking at around $110-$125 for everything you need. pretty good price for such a gnarly vape. please post pics!

I wish my math came out like that, I just got all the shipping quotes and my total is closer to $160. I also have a blower making me a bowl for $25 (+tax & gas=$35), I figured that was the hardest part so I did that first. I'm trying not to rush this and get all my ducks lined up first, but I can't wait to have this thing working.

Kief,

Kief

Medicated
I'm a little late with the update on this, it's been a rough month.

The Hakko FX-601 did not work out for me and has been returned. The ceramic element is only about 1.75 inches long and maybe 1/8 inch diameter and by the pictures of the 556, I assume it's about 1/2 inch longer than that. So, the hot part of the element on the 601 was barley making it to the intake hole of the DBV heater cover and because it was so much smaller, it didn't have the mass to keep the cover heated. It may have worked without using the cut sleeve and just using a shim over the threads, but I couldn't think of a way to seal it safely at the time. The perfect shim and the perfect heater cover could work.

When I did have it all together and was trying to heat up a bowl, I could taste/smell the rubber tube... because it's not "pure" or whatever like most of the translucent silicone we all use for vape tubing. I do have one of those sensitive palates and imagine that others wouldn't notice it.

There's time and cash invested and I still want this to work out for me... I just need a good ceramic iron with temp control in the handle. I've searched for a 556 SE and have had no luck, if anyone finds one in stock somewhere, please let me know. I'm also looking at other options, but I'm lost.

Kief,

2clicker

Observer
I'm a little late with the update on this, it's been a rough month.

The Hakko FX-601 did not work out for me and has been returned. The ceramic element is only about 1.75 inches long and maybe 1/8 inch diameter and by the pictures of the 556, I assume it's about 1/2 inch longer than that. So, the hot part of the element on the 601 was barley making it to the intake hole of the DBV heater cover and because it was so much smaller, it didn't have the mass to keep the cover heated. It may have worked without using the cut sleeve and just using a shim over the threads, but I couldn't think of a way to seal it safely at the time. The perfect shim and the perfect heater cover could work.

When I did have it all together and was trying to heat up a bowl, I could taste/smell the rubber tube... because it's not "pure" or whatever like most of the translucent silicone we all use for vape tubing. I do have one of those sensitive palates and imagine that others wouldn't notice it.

There's time and cash invested and I still want this to work out for me... I just need a good ceramic iron with temp control in the handle. I've searched for a 556 SE and have had no luck, if anyone finds one in stock somewhere, please let me know. I'm also looking at other options, but I'm lost.

damn. did you take any pics? i ask because when still looking into the fx601 that hakko told me it would have the exact same heater in it. i would love to see what you are talking about.

unfortunately the 556SE has been discontinued. the fx601 was the replacement.

2clicker,

Kief

Medicated
Sorry, I was more interested in getting my money back at the time and didn't take any pictures. There's no way it's the same heater, my measurements are pretty close... 1.75 inches long and 1/8 diameter, how long is the 556 element? I only have pictures to compare it, but it looks like the glowing red hot part of the 601 element is less than half the size.

It looks like the stained glass community really liked their 556se Hakko's and bought them all up when they were discontinued. I don't think they aren't too happy with the changes either.

Any ideas for a different iron that would work?

Kief,

2clicker

Observer
Sorry, I was more interested in getting my money back at the time and didn't take any pictures. There's no way it's the same heater, my measurements are pretty close... 1.75 inches long and 1/8 diameter, how long is the 556 element? I only have pictures to compare it, but it looks like the glowing red hot part of the 601 element is less than half the size.

It looks like the stained glass community really liked their 556se Hakko's and bought them all up when they were discontinued. I don't think they aren't too happy with the changes either.

Any ideas for a different iron that would work?

there was another MFG that was making a comparable iron, but i cant remember it off the top of my head. i have it written down somewhere i think. ill look for it and post it up.

it sucks that the fx601 didnt work out. Hakko is fully supportive of people using their product for vaporization.

would the piece of silicone tubing (just like on my 556SE) work to couple the HC to it w/out the cut sleeve? just like you said... it would bring the HC down farther also lowering the intake hole on the HC to meet up with the hot spot.

ill see if i can find that other MFG and also get a measurement from my 556SE.

another idea im having is finding a solution to put temp adjustment inline on the cord. that way you could buy any old Hakko iron and adjust it via the cord. my 456-18 iron has a HUGE element in it. i think its 1/4" diameter and it works VERY well with the DBV HC. as you can see in this pic im controlling the temp with a box i made out of an outlet and lighting dimmer. disregard the steamroller and gong adapters you see in the pic. i was experimenting with different glass setups.

photo2-1-1.jpg

so are there any "in-line" lighting dimmer switches that could work?

2clicker,
Reactions: Tweek

Kief

Medicated
would the piece of silicone tubing (just like on my 556SE) work to couple the HC to it w/out the cut sleeve? just like you said... it would bring the HC down farther also lowering the intake hole on the HC to meet up with the hot spot.

No, the big red tube was too big for it, slipped right off. I was thinking a piece of Silcon® Tubing 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD (500° F rating) just to seal it, but the fit would still have to perfect. I just don't think it's worth trying because of how small the heater is.

ill see if i can find that other MFG and also get a measurement from my 556SE.

I'm very curious about those dimensions.

another idea im having is finding a solution to put temp adjustment inline on the cord. that way you could buy any old Hakko iron and adjust it via the cord. my 456-18 iron has a HUGE element in it. i think its 1/4" diameter and it works VERY well with the DBV HC. as you can see in this pic im controlling the temp with a box i made out of an outlet and lighting dimmer. disregard the steamroller and gong adapters you see in the pic. i was experimenting with different glass setups.

so are there any "in-line" lighting dimmer switches that could work?

I have considered dimmers and even soldering stations... I'd like to stay away from any extra bulk to keep it travel friendly and save what little space I have in my room.

found it... its made by "Goot"

http://www.goot.co.jp/e/detail.html

temp range is right there... ceramic element... looks like it should work

I remember seeing that in the old homemade thread, I have a guy taking some measurements of the Goot PX-201 for me :) just waiting for a call back.

Thank you.

Kief,

2clicker

Observer
I have considered dimmers and even soldering stations... I'd like to stay away from any extra bulk to keep it travel friendly and save what little space I have in my room.

i was thinking something that would be hardwired into any Hakko cord.

something like this
PH-30-10192.jpg

i dont think it would add too much bulk, but the Goot may be a great choice. im interested to see what the Goot heater specs are. when i get home i will measure the 556SE element.

2clicker,

Kief

Medicated
i was thinking something that would be hardwired into any Hakko cord. i dont think it would add too much bulk, but the Goot may be a great choice.

I had thought of something simple like that, but it's still more than I want. I may even see if I can buy a VHW 3.0 without the glass, has a great element that heats at the tip instead of the middle.

im interested to see what the Goot heater specs are. when i get home i will measure the 556SE element.

The Goot PX-201 measurements are 2.75 inches long and 1/8 inch diameter. Not sure if the diameter is enough, but I picked one up for $50 + shipping. Should know whithin a week.

Kief,
Top Bottom