Mobius Glass

stickstones

Vapor concierge
The can has a pretty good crack in it as well...must be on the other side of the pic. I'll probably toss it unless I could get a repair for less than $150. How much to repair yours, roger?

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
It was my only piece of glass, other than the shitty one I am using now that was in the garage...thanks for the thoughts, tree. My question is, can I still make use of that perc? Would it be worth the time or money to take it to a blower to reconstruct a can around the perc, or is that kind of stuff more money that it's worth?
Damn that's sad sticks. You might drop an email to Sam at http://glassblowersdirect.com/ with your pic. They specialize in repairs and he could probably tell you what could be salvaged and if it's worth messing with.

I'll put in another :tup:for the reti perc here. It's often available when the matrix perc is out of stock and the difference is minor. The matrix is more involved to make and therefore a little more expensive, but that doesn't mean it's any more effective, just a minor difference in drag and how the bubbles stack.

max,

Anonymouse

Sith I care
The can has a pretty good crack in it as well...must be on the other side of the pic. I'll probably toss it unless I could get a repair for less than $150. How much to repair yours, roger?

If you do toss it, toss it to me then? :p I'd love an Ion with a removable mouthpiece but I couldn't justify modifying an intact one (or paying massive bank for a Mobius custom).

You'd be mad not to try getting it modded into something worth keeping for yourself, though, rather than take the $300 hit.

Heh. If you cut the rest of the broken base off the result it'd be sorta like a Mobius version of the "Infamous" Pipesdaddy bubb. Mobius travel bubbler! (Only with a bit of a scar on the can repair, assuming it succeeds)

Anonymouse,
Reactions: JLG

kingtut106

I have been debating getting a mobius for my collection. Is it really worth getting the clear over the ion? The only difference seems to be size and the base, which does not seem worth the extra money IMO.

kingtut106,

max

Out to lunch
Is it really worth getting the clear over the ion?
I really like the smaller size of the Ion since I mostly hold it during use. I can handle a big hit and the Ion is big enough to deliver one, so I find that it suits me from that angle too. I think this vid does a pretty good job of showing the size difference, although some views, due to perspective, can be misleading, size wise.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
The only difference seems to be size and the base, which does not seem worth the extra money IMO.

There is a difference in volume of the can and the size of the Matrix perc. Someone posted earlier that the Clear has twice the volume.

From the video above, it also appears the Clear has a beefier mouthpiece, but it may just be the perspective.

JLG

I have been debating getting a mobius for my collection. Is it really worth getting the clear over the ion? The only difference seems to be size and the base, which does not seem worth the extra money IMO.

From the video above, it also appears the Clear has a beefier mouthpiece, but it may just be the perspective.

The mouthpiece of the Clear is 25 mm, the Ion is 19 mm.

For me, the size and the height of the MP on the Clear is much more confortable.
The extra money over the Ion is well spent for my taste.
I don't use the Ion anymore, it's collecting dust.
But there are people who like better the smaller can.

az2b.jpg

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
The mouthpiece of the Clear is 25 mm, the Ion is 19 mm.
I assume that's before the flair?
Here's 2 pics I took a while ago of my Clear Matrix Mouthpiece:

I personally far prefer the mouthpiece on the clear, the ion feels so tiny.

Function wise though, the ion is just as good as the clear in my books.

MGG

Well recently i broke my Mobius 60t,
Horrid i know..

I contacted fishbone on boromarket who told me the repairs would be $140
( you can see the damage yourself http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/782/dh1b.jpg )

However i may be able to trade
my mobius 60t + $100 to get a Matrix Clear.

Now i'm unsure if this is the best decision.
I think both pieces are great and i'm getting more into dabbing lately soi think the matrix clear would be a more appropriate piece.
How do people find having flowers with it? I've only ever smoked flowers through the 60t
but i'd imagine it'd be smoother than the matrix clear due to the slightly larger chamber allowing the smoke to cool more.

I don't know guys, what do you think i should do?Be interested to here users opinions on the forum.

MGG,

toros23

I personally far prefer the mouthpiece on the clear, the ion feels so tiny.

FYI - The MP on my Ion is a little over 1 1/4".

I think it is important to point out (again) that almost all these pieces have variations. If you visit a LHS that has many in stock, you will see lots of different heights and sizes.

MGG

that repair does look risky - they need to remove the joint and the whole can and redone everything from the perc up

I would go for the trade

That's not what fishbone told me :S. He made it sound much less extreme than that.
The guy may be interested in making the trade cause when he gets it fixed he wants to add a custom design to it. If he doesn't accept my offer though i'm likely to just drop $800 on it and get a custom design of my own. Thoughts?

MGG,

redglassgallery

JHANPIXEL
Glass Blower
because of the spider crack going down the can, it may or may not run all the way down the to seal.

thats the risk factor - i would just cut off the joint and flame cut the whole can off and replace w another keeping intact the perc so it would look good as new

kingtut106

Are the percs the same size in the clear and ion? The clear looks bigger from the pictures and I'm assuming it has more slits because of this. Is that correct?

kingtut106,

bassplayer

Are the percs the same size in the clear and ion? The clear looks bigger from the pictures and I'm assuming it has more slits because of this. Is that correct?

The Clear does have a bigger perc, somewhere in this thread I remember seeing a post about the number of slits, can't find it though

EDIT - found the post:
Yes, the perc of the Clear is bigger than the Ion.
The Clear Matrix have 28x4 = 112 holes
The Ion Matrix have 22x3 = 66 holes

bassplayer,

MGG

So with fixing my mobius 60t i have the idea to turn it into a modular piece.
I'd like to get the forums opinion on this. I have drawn up some very rough amateurish designs but they give you a decent idea of what i'm going for.

So essentially i'd have the 'perfect' piece to switch between dabbing and also
flowers. Being able to switch from basically a 60b design and a design slightly larger than the 65t with added ice picks. In my opinion this would give me the best of both worlds and would be like owning 3 different pieces in 1. I also think ice picks will help this piece soo much because whilst the diffusion is amazing the smoke is always a bit hot in my opinion.

Anyways i'd love to hear your guys thoughts. Lame idea (what would you do instead)? Awesome idea? Would you do it?

By the way thanks for the insight redglassgallery. What do you think the likelyhood of that happening? and what would have to be done if the crack did go all the way down to the seal? :/

but yeah either i'd do this design or i'd just but a male adapter on the top which i could attach hydratubes to. Though i have concerns about added drag doing that method.

Dafni

... likely to just drop $800 on it and get a custom design of my own. Thoughts?

if you're ready to spend this kind of money I think anything should be possible. I like your idea in the above post, but somehow I don't like the modular aspect in a mobius piece. For me they have always been those one-piece perfection things. But who knows, maybe a modular mobius would be nice indeed. I like your thinking, anyway, might be worth a go.

Dafni,
Top Bottom