Mighty Vs. Firewood

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
i have to hold mine to my ear to hear it. indoors.

Thats good to hear. So in the interest of objectivity, does the guy in the video I linked just have a one-off loud heater? I think we can all agree that his isn't making a subtle sound. I'm just trying to gauge where it would actually be if I picked one up, as I'd otherwise look into alternatives--for my needs a dynavap fits a lot of my portable needs. I'd want the TM/FW/whatever to fill a niche that includes being subtle, and this video ain't it!

gordontreeman,

floribud

I love this thread. So many concepts:
Ah that's kind of a bummer, so because the Tinymight is full convection I might not get that nice body high?
Me and My Splinter Z just had some Wookie Girl. As I'm not capable of getting up off my bed at this point I'm pretty sure convection vapes can delivery a "body high". Just for good measure I toasted a bowl of 28% Velvet Glove in my Firefly and I now I can't move anything but my fingers, but now think you're all philosophers.... convection works!

Also, for all the hate it's gotten the Airvape Legacy with the new screen component has a very good conduction/convection session mode. The new screen component really fixed how session mode used to just char herb. It's not the easiest to use, but it has great cooling. It takes a while to figure out, and the temperature settings or nowhere near reality, But it's a great out and about vape that's about the size of a crafty (although heavier), but it heats up in about 10 -12 seconds

Last edited:

blackstone

Not really, no, no, no, and not necessarily :D

Not necessarily hybrid even, it is a huge difference between session conduction and on demand conduction, digital vs analog, temp regulation vs open loop... The Pax is slow and underpowered, yes the way it extracts, but no not the conduction per se... There is so much variation within the hybrid category that that distinction is almost meaningless imo

Convection does not necessarily need long draws, I take very long draws with my FW7 or IQ2 just as often as I take short draws in my TM or Tafée Bowle...

I just think you are generalizing too much based on very subjective factors... You found what works for you, but I don't think it is a universal truth, personally based on my own experience... The chemical compounds' extraction is a much more complicated than "body high" "head high" regardless

Well they must be pretty common personal misconceptions as they can be found all over this site.
Even one resident expert stickstones noticed it a while back too! Or generalised a bit? as you put it.
I have found that my conduction vapes tend to make me more sleepy/stoney/couchlocky than the convection vapes. Sometimes the difference is subtle and in others it is more pronounced. It's what led me to thinking of a vapes' signature. If I really want maximum sativa type effects I will use a sativa in Herbie on a low temp. If I want maximum indica type effects I use an indica at high temp in the Baker.

I have found that the differences are effected most by strain, then by temp, and finally then by the vape's signature or conduction/convection ratio.
The conduction element in this thing is giving me some big old clouds and good sleepy effects for my nightcaps!

Maybe some of it does come from those like me who have no choice of strain, limited availability, and no easy access to concentrates.
I stand behind my findings for my situation and I'm not prepared to spend much more money investigating it further, i already feel satisfied that I know enough for me.
And I suppose the fact that S&B went to the bother of changing Volcano to a Hybrid, and the resulting confirmation of a perception of significant added power from myself and most other users kind of backs it up for me a bit.
I accept convection can even work better for another person, but when I see people recommending it as universally better, while saying a decent vape using another method is suddenly simply outdated and doesn't compare, I will try to mention my position on it.
Maybe more so when someone asks, "this conduction added vape or that conduction added vape?" And somebody answers "a convection vape, mainly because I think it's good", while knocking one of the vapes in question and ignoring the other.

In other threads that investigate this, you will see similar findings to everyone above, and also disagreement and differing opinions.

There's a time and place for all three styles for me. While very enjoyable, if I used a convection only vape as a daily driver I feel like I would run out of stuff twice as fast, twiddle my thumbs a lot trying to stop myself using it again and again, and/or have to withdraw a bit from the relief I'm accustomed to.
But maybe that's just me, and a few others!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Well they must be pretty common personal misconceptions as they can be found all over this site.
Even one resident expert stickstones noticed it a while back too! Or generalised a bit? as you put it.

Maybe some of it does come from those like me who have no choice of strain, limited availability, and no easy access to concentrates.
I stand behind my findings for my situation and I'm not prepared to spend much more money investigating it further, i already feel satisfied that I know enough for me.
And I suppose the fact that S&B went to the bother of changing Volcano to a Hybrid, and the resulting confirmation of a perception of significant added power from myself and most other users kind of backs it up for me a bit.
I accept convection can even work better for another person, but when I see people recommending it as universally better, while saying a decent vape using another method is suddenly simply outdated and doesn't compare, I will try to mention my position on it.
Maybe more so when someone asks, "this conduction added vape or that conduction added vape?" And somebody answers "a convection vape, mainly because I think it's good", while knocking one of the vapes in question and ignoring the other.

In other threads that investigate this, you will see similar findings to everyone above, and also disagreement and differing opinions.

There's a time and place for all three styles for me. While very enjoyable, if I used a convection only vape as a daily driver I feel like I would run out of stuff twice as fast, twiddle my thumbs a lot trying to stop myself using it again and again, and/or have to withdraw a bit from the relief I'm accustomed to.

Bottom line I never said convection was better than conduction or vice versa, my point was FW7 and TM are both much better than the mighty, being on demand and near instant heat up, on top of just having more power and many other superiorities in my opinion... Then my argument was both convection and conduction can extract full herbal effects if done properly.... You implied or even said that convection cannot provide effects conduction can, I do not believe that to be true... And really vape signature is something even more complex, not merely a conduction vs convection thing... :2c: :peace:

Last edited:

angular ocelot

Thats good to hear. So in the interest of objectivity, does the guy in the video I linked just have a one-off loud heater? I think we can all agree that his isn't making a subtle sound. I'm just trying to gauge where it would actually be if I picked one up, as I'd otherwise look into alternatives--for my needs a dynavap fits a lot of my portable needs. I'd want the TM/FW/whatever to fill a niche that includes being subtle, and this video ain't it!
the loud noise in the video, near the end, is the vibration from the haptic feedback as it is being switched off from session mode, i think.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
the loud noise in the video, near the end, is the vibration from the haptic feedback as it is being switched off from session mode, i think.
I’m meaning all throughout. The heater sounds awfully loud while it’s activated in that video. I’m just curious if that’s indicative of the tm in general or the user in the video happens to just have an extreme case.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: dimmusp

angular ocelot

I’m meaning all throughout. The heater sounds awfully loud while it’s activated in that video. I’m just curious if that’s indicative of the tm in general or the user in the video happens to just have an extreme case.
i will be honest and say i didnt hear it over the sound of the music. my hearing isnt the best though so maybe i should leave this thread.

angular ocelot,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I suppose it's some kind of noise cancellation algorithm that amplifies the sound of the heater. In real life it's not an issue.

Siebter,

blackstone

Bottom line I never said convection was better than conduction or vice versa, my point was FW7 and TM are both much better than the mighty, being on demand and near instant heat up, on top of just having more power and many other superiorities in my opinion... Then my argument was both convection and conduction can extract full herbal effects if done properly.... You implied or even said that convection cannot provide effects conduction can, I do not believe that to be true... And really vape signature is something even more complex, not merely a conduction vs convection thing... :2c: :peace:
You are saying a convection vape is way better than a hybrid one and I doubt that would be the case for myself.

I put the Crafty+ down as being stronger than a Flowerpot or SSV, so it's extremely hard to imagine (even if I was ok about using it!) a tinymight being better or stronger than a mighty for me at all, but maybe the Mighty is more dull than the Crafty plus than I remember.

I was also pretty much in agreement with this person until I turned the Volcano Hybrid up full.
I swear that my Crafty+ hits harder and faster than my Volcano Hybrid.

My implication was more that, considering the same herb and amount is used in both, a convection only cannot provide some of the effects that a hybrid heating can, for me at least it appears. And that I see much evidence that I'm not alone thinking this.

Kins

You are saying a convection vape is way better than a hybrid one and I doubt that would be the case for myself.

I put the Crafty+ down as being stronger than a Flowerpot or SSV, so it's extremely hard to imagine (even if I was ok about using it!) a tinymight being better or stronger than a mighty for me at all, but maybe the Mighty is more dull than the Crafty plus than I remember.

I was also pretty much in agreement with this person until I turned the Volcano Hybrid up full.

My implication was more that, considering the same herb and amount is used in both, a convection only cannot provide some of the effects that a hybrid heating can, for me at least it appears. And that I see much evidence that I'm not alone thinking this.

I don't think I was posting sober when I wrote that.

GoldenBud

I don't think I was posting sober when I wrote that.
you mean slow draw with the crafty+ gets you as high as a draw from FP or SSV? but with FP or SSV you can get the same high with faster draw right?
with the right weed, almost any device will be sufficient eh? ;) hehe
i think most ex smokers would like a device that they can get a fast draw, but with the right weed you got more options....

justcametomind

To some extent I agree that FW7 and TM are “superior” to the Mighty because (imho) they are “funnier” to use. I can only speak for the TM but I like to use that better than the Mighty because it heats up quicker and flavor is better. But imho it’s a trade off. Funnier but prone to leave O rings on top of my load, if I set it for full extraction. The Mighty instead is less fun, slower but theres way less things that can go wrong, the technology it uses is proven, there’s no losing potency due to bad contacts, there’s no scorching EVER, and if I sum all this things up, if I wasn’t vape obsessed as I actually am, I’d say the Mighty is superior, because of the reproducibility of the medication it provides. If the CU is clean enough, gasket are all in place and battery is charged, theres nothing that can go wrong: extraction to the last bit every time, no scorching, and I completely agree that people like @blackstone who are less obsessed than I am, prefer the Mighty.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Are you trying to extrapolate more broadly based on the specific thing I said? The TM being better than the Mighty does not have to do with convection versus conduction per se... It is better for a large variety of reasons, primarily power, speed, purity, and size... If we say FW7 is also a hybrid vape, nowhere did I say the TM is better than it... In fact I even referred to them as a pretty fantastic complimentary pair, did I not??

... So you've never even used a tinymight then? I mean to each their own obviously, I have not tried flowerpot but used to own an LSV, and it absolutely trounces the mighty performance in my experience...

I've only used regular volcano, it is pretty impressive, largely due to the gigantic bowl and fan pump thing, never felt like it was lacking anything requiring it to be a hybrid, but yeah what do I know in that regard lol

I understand that implication, and I strongly disagree with it, is exactly what I'm saying! I see just as much evidence that I'm not alone in thinking this either... The FW7 and the TM both can yield the same effects for me if desired, with the same exact herbs, as I found the Mighty to be extremely lacking personally! Everyone is free to their own opinion, and to share it as such, but when you state something broadly true more often than not you're going to hear opposing sides as what is true for you may not be true for another, it is subjective not objective...

Last edited:

blackstone

I completely agree that people like @blackstone who are less obsessed than I am, prefer the Mighty.
I could be some bit obsessed alright! But I think I have regained some control and my financial situation helps with that.
I was always obsessed with value for money, the best deal, and vapor quality and effects like everyone else!
Having a few personal safety concerns about a few vapes doing the rounds these days might help me keeping my numbers down too.

The Mighty can milk a bong pretty well.
Not a fast heatup by today’s standards but once it gets there you can vape the whole bowl in one or two hits with near perfect AVB. That’s pretty challenging to do, even with the latest releases.
That is a challenge alright, I respect how they achieved it.
Conversely, I can say that in another instance, when you are confident you can construct an as good as, or better functioning vaporizer yourself it makes it hard to pay for or maybe even use the other one!
Especially if you feel your design is somehow safer or cleaner than the other man's!

what is true for you may not be true for another
I agree with this

stickstones

Vapor concierge

Wow, man...how'd you dig that up? That was seven years ago! I haven't thought about the Baker in a while. Thanks for the memories!

GoldenBud

devices with strong conduction side like Mighty/Solo II/Fury Edge they heat the material also when you don't take a draw. that means less terpenes (they have lower boiling temperature other than cannabinoids) are found in your vapor. if it means better high/feelings? I dunno. but with capsules Mighty has great flavour. but I also prefer the high from Lotus which is 100% convection. depends what YOU like. have to try different devices fo sho

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
devices with strong conduction side like Mighty/Solo II/Fury Edge they heat the material also when you don't take a draw.
That’s true, but so does a joint!

This is often viewed as a negative for conduction devices, but I think perhaps there are scenarios where this is preferable - if you look at the results from one of the only analytical comparisons I’ve ever seen for vaporizers; the Arizer Solo extracted more actives than the convection based Volcano Classic, and the hybrid Plenty.

pone.0147286.g003.jpg

GoldenBud

That’s true, but so does a joint!

This is often viewed as a negative for conduction devices, but I think perhaps there are scenarios where this is preferable - if you look at the results from one of the only analytical comparisons I’ve ever seen for vaporizers; the Arizer Solo extracted more actives than the convection based Volcano Classic, and the hybrid Plenty.

pone.0147286.g003.jpg
WOOOW they can make just a small fixes for their Solo III like making sure the air never comes from the 12V input and maybe abit bigger heater +bigger air intake and it will be great device :o

blackstone

Wow, man...how'd you dig that up? That was seven years ago! I haven't thought about the Baker in a while. Thanks for the memories!
It was a search for "conduction sleepy"!
Fair play for coming to those conclusions back then, and getting them in that order too.
Thanks for all the streams and input you give out to all! I will wear a Jerry shirt.

WOOOW they can make just a small fixes for their Solo III like making sure the air never comes from the 12V input and maybe abit bigger heater +bigger air intake and it will be great device :o
About the Solo, this one from last month came up with a search for "couch"!
From a long-term smoker who is chasing the couch-lock feeling

Solo with gong and long stem bong....I just place it for 2 mins and take a huge bong rip. I have a flowerpot too but I prefer the solo with water adapter.

Vaporware

Thanks!! I'm excited, I hope its only two weeks my last puff was about a month ago at this point and I don't know how much longer I can last haha

I will be buying extra batteries in the meantime so I have a few ready to go when the TM shows up, i believe it comes with a battery included?

I'll definitely be trolling the TM thread every day to stoke my vapelust until it's in my hands I'm sure haha, I'll learn as much as I can so I can really see what it can do as soon as possible

Can't wait!!

If you can wait that’s great, if not you’re better off looking for another decent vaporizer to buy or borrow until it comes in. Smoking right now would make the transition harder, and if you avoid it you’ll probably be happier when your break’s over. :)

You canusually find a VapCap tip and cap with a glass connector at least for like $50 or less for example. I know you want to avoid Butane, but it’s nice to have a solid backup and it’s easy and quick to get one if you can’t wait for the TM. Just about anything else that doesn’t melt plastic while you use it is an okay backup too. :)

As a last resort, rigging up something as simple as a thick glass tube with a screen heated from the outside can work.

It’s not the hybrid heating that bothers most of us about the Mighty, it’s the slow heating and session style most of us don’t love.

Yes you can dump a hot dosing cap out after every hit, but I’d rather just draw a little longer on the Firewood 7 (also hybrid but it heats up in a few seconds) and stick it back in my pocket.

Because I don’t often take more than 1-2 draws at a time, on demand performance is very important to me. Even for people who often use a whole bowl or more at once, unless they’re ready to stop after exactly 1 bowl the Mighty requires sacrifices that the FW, TM, FP or just about anything convection or “on-demand” we talk about here more appealing.

As for effects, I think with some of these fast extracting vaporizers I miss out on part of the body effects that I first got with my conduction Ascent because I took like 5+ long slow draws from it along with edibles. One draw from the FlowerPot can be more than enough for my head, but I’d have to slow down and take more small draws (or completely melt my brain with several big ones) to see if I could get similar effects, but I think with the right techniques I probably could get similar effects from convection.

If you have a higher tolerance and want to experiment, maybe try convection at high temps and take as many draws as you do with conduction or hybrid to see what effects you get. I think conduction vs convection makes some difference, but if you use either one in the right way for you I think you can get where you want to be. :)

Fart_Goblin

If you can wait that’s great, if not you’re better off looking for another decent vaporizer to buy or borrow until it comes in. Smoking right now would make the transition harder, and if you avoid it you’ll probably be happier when your break’s over. :)

You canusually find a VapCap tip and cap with a glass connector at least for like $50 or less for example. I know you want to avoid Butane, but it’s nice to have a solid backup and it’s easy and quick to get one if you can’t wait for the TM. Just about anything else that doesn’t melt plastic while you use it is an okay backup too. :)

As a last resort, rigging up something as simple as a thick glass tube with a screen heated from the outside can work.

It’s not the hybrid heating that bothers most of us about the Mighty, it’s the slow heating and session style most of us don’t love.

Yes you can dump a hot dosing cap out after every hit, but I’d rather just draw a little longer on the Firewood 7 (also hybrid but it heats up in a few seconds) and stick it back in my pocket.

Because I don’t often take more than 1-2 draws at a time, on demand performance is very important to me. Even for people who often use a whole bowl or more at once, unless they’re ready to stop after exactly 1 bowl the Mighty requires sacrifices that the FW, TM, FP or just about anything convection or “on-demand” we talk about here more appealing.

As for effects, I think with some of these fast extracting vaporizers I miss out on part of the body effects that I first got with my conduction Ascent because I took like 5+ long slow draws from it along with edibles. One draw from the FlowerPot can be more than enough for my head, but I’d have to slow down and take more small draws (or completely melt my brain with several big ones) to see if I could get similar effects, but I think with the right techniques I probably could get similar effects from convection.

If you have a higher tolerance and want to experiment, maybe try convection at high temps and take as many draws as you do with conduction or hybrid to see what effects you get. I think conduction vs convection makes some difference, but if you use either one in the right way for you I think you can get where you want to be. :)
Good advice! I know it's normal but my order is still listed as 'pending' on the TM website, I think I may do what you've suggested and get a cheaper dyna model from a local distributor in the meantime... it's already been about 5-6 weeks I don't know if I can last another 4-6 haha.

Or maybe if I can get my hands on one, I should just get the FW7 as well in the meantime... Or maybe the Solo 2...

Is this that VAS I keep hearing about?? So it begins haha

Shit Snacks

Good advice! I know it's normal but my order is still listed as 'pending' on the TM website, I think I may do what you've suggested and get a cheaper dyna model from a local distributor in the meantime... it's already been about 5-6 weeks I don't know if I can last another 4-6 haha.

Or maybe if I can get my hands on one, I should just get the FW7 as well in the meantime... Or maybe the Solo 2...

Is this that VAS I keep hearing about?? So it begins haha

If you do really want to mess around with Arizer in meantime... Not sure where you are:

I think there's firewood drops every Sunday now, might as well try to snag one if you can!

Top Bottom