Tek MCT oil (medium-chain triglycerides)

randomtoker

So you got some experience in vaping MCT? Please tell me more!

I thought that MCT is less dangerous compared to PG, VG and PEG
http://de.tinypic.com/r/rhlqwg/9

@randomtoker said that some people from the e-cig world really like vaping mct as an alternativ ....
You're going to get a lot of hysterical people reacting to mct. Most confuse it with coconut oil and will raise lipid pneumonia concerns. By definition, "medium chain" categorizes a certain molecule size that would not behave in that manner.

The best "crowd sourced analysis" (because there's not much else) on the topic I've found is this reddit thread, which like most discussions raises as many questions as it asks but puts a good perspective on things.

Many dispensary pens use mct alone and combined with other carriers. That doesn't prove any measure of safety, but this isn't an untrodden path. The primary reason it isn't already used rampantly in the nicotine world side of things is cost. It costs way more by large volume than PG/VG.

Vapology

The best "crowd sourced analysis" (because there's not much else) on the topic I've found is this reddit thread, which like most discussions raises as many questions as it asks but puts a good perspective on things.
I read this thread twice and everything else I could find on the web. If you are not heating your mct-mix over 410F/ 210C degrees you won't get contact to any carcinogens and because of the 'medium chain' it's not possible to get lipid pneumonia. Sounds good to me!

If you're not going to use real cannabis derived terpenes, you should just use a Load As You Go atomizer that works with raw undiluted concentrate products such as the Divine Tribe V3 or the Saionara.

I have some cannabis derived terpenes but they are steam distilled from industrial Hemp. I thought this could be a cheap alternative to the real and expensive stuff. Any thoughts about that?
I guess the taste will not be that great but it's worth a try...
my next mix could be:
1G rosin + 1drop fake terpene blend + 1 drop industrial hemp terpenes + 0.2G MCT + 0.5-1.0G PG

And I have to try the PG mix from @randomtoker : 1G rosin + 3-5ML PG

Looks like I got many recipes in my mixing book :)

I need more rosin - happy pressing everybody

Last edited:

Deleted Member 1643

I got my MCT oil today and I started preparing and mixing immediately.

0.5 G rosin + 0.5 G MCT oil

I mixed it on a hotplate between 140-160F/ 60-70C degrees. The consistency is perfect for my Vaporesso veco tank (thanks to @Steven and @Vape Donkey 650), the same mix should also be good for cartridges with bigger intake holes and Ceramic heater.

It's good to know that a 1:1 dilution is sufficient. What's the least amount of MCT oil you could get away with?

So you got some experience in vaping MCT? Please tell me more!

I thought that MCT is less dangerous compared to PG, VG and PEG
http://de.tinypic.com/r/rhlqwg/9

@randomtoker said that some people from the e-cig world really like vaping mct as an alternativ ....

That table is from a very good article that's highly relevant to cannabis use, but keep in mind that the researchers only assayed formaldehyde, acrolein, and acetaldehyde, the substances of greatest concern produced by heated glycols (VG, PG and PEG). MCTs are chemically dissimilar - to an extent. They have a glyceride backbone but also short hydrocarbon chains. So, it's not clear that these substances are the only concern from MCTs. Evaluating MCTs wasn't the main point of the article, and this wasn't discussed.

@randomtoker, some interesting findings from that study with regard to PG and especially PEG. Stopped using PEG after reading it.

my next mix could be:
1G rosin + 1drop fake terpene blend + 1 drop industrial hemp terpenes + 0.2G MCT + 0.5-1.0G PG

Recommend keeping it simple at first. Maybe minimize the MCT concentration and then try some small percentage (<5%) of one of the terpene mixes. Why do you want to include PG in this mix?

Vapology

It's good to know that a 1:1 dilution is sufficient. What's the least amount of MCT oil you could get away with?
I haven't tried jet but I think a 25% mix, without any terpenes, would work just fine.

Recommend keeping it simple at first. Maybe minimize the MCT concentration and then try some small percentage (<5%) of one of the terpene mixes. Why do you want to include PG in this mix?
Thanks for your advice :) I felt that MCT is a really good thinning agent for my rosin, as good as the terpenes I'm using. But the MCT oil is, compared to the terps, totally tasteless and also feelless (I don't feel any vapor in my throat). When I mix with terpenes i can feel way too much... coughing my ass off! So it could be smart to use MCT as main thinner and then add some tiny amounts of terps for the taste and some drops/ ml of PG for the throat hit... any suggestions?

randomtoker

...But the MCT oil is, compared to the terps, totally tasteless and also feelless (I don't feel any vapor in my throat). When I mix with terpenes i can feel way too much... coughing my ass off!
This is my main attraction to mct, so it's good to hear. While PG doesn't irritate me (no allergic response like some people), it does pack quite a throat punch if I I'm not paying attention and I don't regulate the length, speed, and volume of a hit.

Deleted Member 1643

So it could be smart to use MCT as main thinner and then add some tiny amounts of terps for the taste and some drops/ ml of PG for the throat hit... any suggestions?

You could always use nicotine for the throat hit. (Just kidding.) No suggestions, but understand what you're saying. Vaping that MCT mix from the original post felt more like cooking over a frying pan than enjoying a pleasant vape - but that was mostly MCT.

Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: Vapology

Vapology

MCT oil is NOT the key ingredient for vape cartridges and THC e-liquids.
The mixing abilities are great but it doesn't vape good, the feel is kind of wet and a little oily, the vapor is dense and unreal ...
Today I mixed some purged qwet with a few drops extra ethanol and 5-7% terpenes derived from industrial hemp (not tasty but cheap) this is the first really vapeable liquid I made. The vapor is real and enjoyable. The taste is a little bit green and farmy but I can still taste the flowers ... the cannabis derived terpenes from industrial hemp are not harsh at all. The effects are high :D

Deleted Member 1643

MCT oil is NOT the key ingredient for vape cartridges and THC e-liquids.
The mixing abilities are great but it doesn't vape good, the feel is kind of wet and a little oily, the vapor is dense and unreal ...

Sounds like you used too high a temperature. With MCT, you might need to use only the lowest temperatures to avoid reaching its smoke point.

Deleted Member 1643,

Vapology

Sounds like you used too high a temperature. With MCT, you might need to use only the lowest temperatures to avoid reaching its smoke point.

I used a vaporesso veco tank in TC mode and tried all different temperatures. On the low end 170-200 their was no visible vapor at all and on the high end 200-250 it started to get better. You @Accept described it as a frying pan experience and that was totally what I felt too.

I made a mix with MCT and rosin only 50/50 - it worked out great but the taste and the vaping experience was missing (frying pan)
The other mix was a blend with rosin, mct, terps, PEG and PG - a total overload! And it separated after some days. I think the mct blends good with rosin and terps but not with PG ...

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i65.tinypic.com/16270py.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

http://i65.tinypic.com/16270py.jpg

Last edited:

eos

Im a medical patient in MN. Thanks for this thread. Amazing how little info about MCT vaping is out there. Been using MCT with cannabis oil in vape pens a short time now, a few weeks. I agree it's not a great "vape feel" for recreational use, but the convenience is worth it, as a medicine.

I'll try to check back in to report any side effects as time goes on.

eos

Hullo, Yes, one of the two dispensaries in MN uses MCT as a carrier. They color code their products for different ratios
"Yellow" products have a 4:1 ratio of THC to CBD.
THC: 400 mg/mL
CBD : 100 mg/mL
I have a 2ml vial that has 800mg/200mg thc/cbd. No other ingredients are listed but I don't know how much MCT is used. The real fail is the cost is $179... :doh:

Deleted Member 1643

Hullo, Yes, one of the two dispensaries in MN uses MCT as a carrier. They color code their products for different ratios
"Yellow" products have a 4:1 ratio of THC to CBD.
THC: 400 mg/mL
CBD : 100 mg/mL
I have a 2ml vial that has 800mg/200mg thc/cbd. No other ingredients are listed but I don't know how much MCT is used. The real fail is the cost is $179... :doh:

Doing the math, if there are no other ingredients, it's a 1:1 dilution, cannabinoids to MCT. Cool, thanks! :tup:

Vapology

Yes. I meant it's just 1ml of the good stuff for 179$
Is this a normal price for a vapepen in the legal states? I am from Europe and I thought you guys can buy the best solvent free oil for the cheapest prices?

It's 2ml and it sucks... Gov. Dayton is just robbing us! $60 for 1/2 ml and it is horrible... 1:1 mix
60$ for 0.25 ml of oil is a real rip off :mental:

So I'm more than happy with my homemade diy qwet oil filled in ccell vape pens & tanks :D

BusterNuggets

Is there still time to save my lungs?
I see your point, which is right.

In MN, it is only medical now and the state allows only 2 dispensaries to operate in the state. $$$ is being made by the companies awarded the license to offer it at the expense of the patients who need it.

QWET + SubZEROextractEviroment + 11 micron filters + vacuumed purged + real terps + MCT = better product for less...but that is illegal... complete ridiculousness

BusterNuggets,

eos

But the upside is I can actually deal with my ptsd without being paranoid about using herb. I finally tried the LLL cobalt 22:1 CBD:THC vape. It doesn’t have MCT. We are instant besties. Not going to afford much of it, tho. The THC pills tend to be much more economical at about a dollar a pill, $60 a month for me, 1 5mg cap 2x a day. I’m kinda a lightweight, and not dealing with pain. Somone trying to stay off opiates might need 2 or 3 times that dose.
We have a table top Arizer that is a champ with good ol flower.
And I swear the vaping of MCT did something to my sugar levels. Like spiking them and then I’d have mini sugar crashes until I hit the vape again. I believe this is physiologically possible as Mct is fuel for the body. But my understanding is superficial. Different thread maybe.
Cheers!
Happy Solstice!

eos,

ms.olivs

Hi everyone,
I know this is an old and sorry to reopen this up but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to buy MCT oil that is suitable for vaping. I was doing some research that suggested that using "triple distilled" was best, but can't seem to find that. Thanks!

ms.olivs,
Reactions: uncanni

amexudo

Hi everyone,
I know this is an old and sorry to reopen this up but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to buy MCT oil that is suitable for vaping. I was doing some research that suggested that using "triple distilled" was best, but can't seem to find that. Thanks!

We bought from iherb
Just search for mct c8

amexudo,

uncanni

Hi everyone,

Hi ms.olivs I just started making my own canna juice, and after doing research on the liquidizers, I decided that MCT was far and away the safest one. I would never use PG or recommend it: it's cheap, as someone mentioned above, and it produces formaldehyde in vapor form.
https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/acm.2016.0337

I don't have the "frying pan" experience that some members describe: it vaporizes very smoothly, and I get very nicely high after 2 hits. No coughing (unless I over-do it.)

uncanni,
Reactions: JCat

solo1811

In a Rubi vape pen by KandiPens. My juice is around 1:1, with one drop of terpenes.

Hi could you please provide some info on how you mixed the MCT? I ordered CBD crystals from cbdistillery.com and want to make a MCT CBD vape liquid like the one they sell (1000mg 15ml)
https://www.thecbdistillery.com/product/1000mg-cbd-e-liquid-strawberry-lemonade/

Do I just add 10ml of MCT and then dissolve my cbd?????

I purchased both the liquid and the CBD recently waiting for arrival.

Also @Accept do you think the XCT oil is good to make this mix? It has both the C8 and C10 chains with no C12 Lauric acid. And is triple distilled like the vape liquid I ordered.

Bulletproof XCT oil, Reliable and Quick Source of Energy (16 Ounces) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R7FFOLG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_29ViBb74Y8WZM

LONG LIVE THIS THREAD lol

Deleted Member 1643

Also @Accept do you think the XCT oil is good to make this mix? It has both the C8 and C10 chains with no C12 Lauric acid. And is triple distilled like the vape liquid I ordered.

Sorry, never pursued this. Only used brain octane as a vape and medible.

LONG LIVE THIS THREAD lol

Hope somebody figures this out. The less-than-ideal results could have been due to high temps, but never tested. Might have to pick up a Rubi to play with.

Deleted Member 1643,
Top Bottom