Tek MCT oil (medium-chain triglycerides)

Deleted Member 1643

Sounds to me like there's a narrow temp range between vaping cannabinoids and smoking MCT, which makes sense. Might work out for some cart/battery combos, but a temp controlled RDA or tank might dial it in.

Deleted Member 1643,

RekOne

What do you think would be best ? I have istick mini think it does like 5v and 3.3 the lowest. Maybe use that with a nice tank like a nautilus mini ?

Chase4969

NYC Space Cadet
What I was asking before was not that coming any who makes the carts filled with oil, what I wanted to know was who makes the best non flavored mct oil to make your own, is bulletproof the best ?

Deleted Member 1643

What do you think would be best ? I have istick mini think it does like 5v and 3.3 the lowest. Maybe use that with a nice tank like a nautilus mini ?

What I was asking before was not that coming any who makes the carts filled with oil, what I wanted to know was who makes the best non flavored mct oil to make your own, is bulletproof the best ?

Wish I had more answers. This is kind of a blind-leading-the-blind thread. Maybe get advice from Extract Consultants and report back? They should know how to optimize what they're selling. It's unclear which MCTs are in their base, but that's the only product I've seen sold specifically for vaping.

Also, RDAs and TC box mods aren't as difficult to use as you might think, and they have many advantages for experimenting. With Steam Engine, you're in control of every variable. Since you're not filling a tank, you can risk as little as a few drops of juice at time. Wire and cotton are also a lot cheaper than replacement coils.

trichome_renaissance

Sorry for posting a flowers based edibles question on the concentrates board, but I'm looking for info on using C8 MCT oil (vs. standard coconut oil) for flower extraction and I don't see any info on C8 MCT oil anywhere else on this site.

Any thoughts on using C8 MCT oil (vs. regular coconut oil) to make infused coconut capsules from flowers rather than concentrate?

Current process is using 1oz decarb'd flowers per 8oz coconut oil and infusing with MBM or crockpot. Would using 8oz of C8 MCT oil (in lieu of 8oz standard coconut oil) make a better infused oil in this manner?

Also, anybody got a lead on 100% C8 MCT oil derived 100% from coconut oil (rather than a mix of coconut oil and palm kernel oil)?

Also, anybody know for sure if there is an advantage to using 100% C8 MCT oil derived entirely from coconuts (rather than coconuts + palm kernel oil) for my process? My thought was that palm kernel is a 50/50 split btw saturated and unsaturated fats, while coconut oil is about 90% saturated fat and, therefore, the latter would be better for thc extraction.

Last edited:

Danksta

Sorr

y for posting a flowers based edibles question on the concentrates board, but I'm looking for info on using C8 MCT oil (vs. standard coconut oil) for flower extraction and I don't see any info on C8 MCT oil anywhere else on this site.

Any thoughts on using C8 MCT oil (vs. regular coconut oil) to make infused coconut capsules from flowers rather than concentrate?

Current process is using 1oz decarb'd flowers per 8oz coconut oil and infusing with MBM or crockpot. Would using 8oz of C8 MCT oil (in lieu of 8oz standard coconut oil) make a better infused oil in this manner?

Also, anybody got a lead on 100% C8 MCT oil derived 100% from coconut oil (rather than a mix of coconut oil and palm kernel oil)?

Also, anybody know for sure if there is an advantage to using 100% C8 MCT oil derived entirely from coconuts (rather than coconuts + palm kernel oil) for my process? My thought was that palm kernel is a 50/50 split btw saturated and unsaturated fats, while coconut oil is about 90% saturated fat and, therefore, the latter would be better for thc extraction.

Check out Onnit's MCT https://www.onnit.com/onnit-mct-oil/

I use their emulsified version in my coffee. Love it.

trichome_renaissance

Check out Onnit's MCT https://www.onnit.com/onnit-mct-oil/

I use their emulsified version in my coffee. Love it.

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like that product is 30% C12 (lauric acid), 31% C10 (capryic acid), and 38% C8 (caprylic acid). On a good note, all three of those MCT's are saturated fatty acids plus that product is 100% coconut oil (no palm oil).

Now it's just a matter of determining:

1. Will this MCT oil work better for extraction than standard coconut oil?

I think it will because it should be 100% saturated fatty acids vs. coconut oil's roughly 93%.

2. Will this MCT oil work better for oral ingestion than standard coconut oil?

I think it will because it's 100% medium chains (vs. 63% in coconut oil) and it's my understanding that medium chains are absorbed and transported directly to the liver where the thc is converted into 11 hydroxy thc, which is supposed to be up to 3x more powerful. However, I've seen other claims that only the medium chain C12 (lauric) is processed by the liver.....(see "where stuff gets weird" below). I've also read that C12 (lauric) is 66% processed by the liver and 34% processed by the lymphatic system.

That leads to the next question though.... Choosing the best type of 100% Coconut oil based MCT oil.

Choosing between options like 100% C6, 100% C8, 100% C10, 100% C12, or a mixed MCT. If mixed, it's a matter of deciding if the shorter C's should be favored over the longer C's (and if Lauric Acid, C12 should be avoided completely).

Here is where stuff gets weird....

I've seen websites claiming that C12 (lauric) acts more like a long chain triglyceride than a medium chain one, despite it being classified as a medium chain triglyceride. And again, I've seen websites claim that MCT's are processed by the liver more so than LCTs and therefore produce more 11 hydroxy thc. But I've seen other sites claiming that the shorter MCT's (namely 8 and 10) are actually less likely to go through the liver pathway than C12 (lauric), because they can be converted into ketones and used in the brain instead. My suspicion is that they are wrong and that both C8 and C10 do indeed get processed by the liver first, prior to either being stored as fat or being converted into ketones to feed the brain. These same sites report that C12 is the technically classified MCT that HAS to be processed by the liver. See link below.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/what-is-mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil/

"C8, Caprylic Acid (Brain Octane)- The rarest ~6% of coconut oil:
It has potent anti-microbial properties (way more potent than lauric acid) to help you maintain a healthy gut, and it is the fastest to metabolize in the brain. (This is Brain Octane Oil.) Your liver does not need to process this rare type of MCT, and it only takes 3 steps for your body to turn it into ATP, the cellular fuel you use.[5] Sugar takes 26 steps. This is why Brain Octane is so good at suppressing cravings and is the most powerful oil to put in Bulletproof Coffee. You would need 18 tablespoons of coconut oil to get just one tablespoon of Brain Octane.

C10, Capric Acid – Around ~9% of coconut oil:
This is the second shortest form of MCT, also rare. It is slower to turn into energy but more affordable than C8. XCT Oil is triple-distilled in a non-oxygen atmosphere with no solvents ever used, and it contains C10 and C8, because these are the only two MCT oils that turn into ATP quickly without the liver. You would need 6 tablespoons of coconut oil to get one tablespoon of XCT oil.

C12, Lauric Acid: Around ~50+% of coconut oil:
It requires a pit stop in the liver rather than getting immediately converted into energy like the other MCTs above."

So I guess what I really need to know is which MCT (8, 10, or 12) is/are most likely to be processed by the liver?

Products. like the one you linked to, seem to have the same % of C12 as coconut oil, but they gain more C8 and C10 in exchange for less LCT's and less Unsaturated fats. Since they have the same amount of C12 and overall more saturated fat than standard coconut oil, I'd say they have to be better for the extraction of thc. It's just a question of whether or not the additional C8 and C10 will be processed by the liver or not. I guess it's also a question of whether the increased rapidness of absorption that C8 and C10 offer will substantially offset the reduction of 11 hydroxy thc production they might induce by not passing through the liver....

Last edited:

trichome_renaissance

I've been doing lots more research today and most other sites suggest that both C8 and C10 are processed through the liver FIRST before going on to rapid uptake in the brain. This is contrary to the "Bullet Proof" blog I quoted before, which suggested that only C12 was processed through the liver.

It also appears that C12 (lauric) is generally about 66% processed in the liver and 34% processed by the lymphatic system. So that would seem to suggest that favoring a MCT oil that is entirely C8 and C10 (with no C12) might actually be better for thc absorption / 11 hydroxy thc production via the liver. Seems they are also more likely to cause stomach upset, diarrhea, and an energy boost.

I think I'll ease into this transition from using coconut oil to using c8 + c10 specific MCT oil 100% derived from coconuts. First I'll try using an MCT oil 100% produced from coconut oil that is a combo of C8, C10, and C12. I'd like to compare that to my usual 100% coconut oil baseline. I'm going to try this one....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XM0Y9S...d=1486161611&sr=sr-1&keywords=premium+mct+oil

which appears to be: 4800mg C8 (38%), 3900mg C10 (31%), and 4000mg C12 (31%)

Last edited:

JBO

@trichome_renaissance have been using the MCT oil for vaping or edibles? I'm going to be making edibles with my ABV and I've been thinking of using MCT instead of coconut oil and I was curious if you had any results you could share since your last post. Thanks for any info!!!

trichome_renaissance

@trichome_renaissance have been using the MCT oil for vaping or edibles? I'm going to be making edibles with my ABV and I've been thinking of using MCT instead of coconut oil and I was curious if you had any results you could share since your last post. Thanks for any info!!!

I'm using it for edibles as I thought the consensus on vaping coconut/MCT oil is that it was potentially bad for ones health. I made my first batch with MCT recently and I am finding it to be at least 25% stronger than my previous coconut oil batches. While some of this is due to the better extraction potential (more saturated fat) of MCT oil, it's mainly from the increased absorption rate, imho. im finding that the effects come on more rapidly and hit harder. I highly recommend going with MCT oil. Just make sure its 100% derived from coconuts (no palm kernel oil) and that it's either 100% C8 or a blend of C8+C10.

JBO

Awesome thanks! Yeah I was going to go with the same brand you posted on here. I just don't have enough abv yet, I figured you would have better results and it's good to hear that. Thanks for the help.

trichome_renaissance

mayhem69

Sorry to open up this thread again, but i need some good advice. I have some very good GSC co2 oil. It is way too thick! I bought some NOW foods MCT oil. How do i mix? what ratio? Do i do the double boil way over stove and mix thoroughly?

JBO

FWIW: The MCT oil I linked previously had C8 + C10 + C12 in it.

I actually ended up using this MCT oil instead, which is all C8 + C10....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGW5UV...ds=Viva+Naturals+Non-GMO+Pure+Coconut+MCT+Oil
Ah I gotcha, I almost went with that, I ended going with Natural Force brand because it seemed to have the highest C8 count, which was 5200 mg. Everything will be here Friday so I'll be making my first batch this weekend using the Crock-Pot method. I have close to an oz of ABV and can't wait any longer!! Lol

Sorry to open up this thread again, but i need some good advice. I have some very good GSC co2 oil. It is way too thick! I bought some NOW foods MCT oil. How do i mix? what ratio? Do i do the double boil way over stove and mix thoroughly?

I'm using the method discussed in this thread http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/easy-abv-coconut-oil-recipe-crockpot.4419/ only I'm using the MCT oil instead. And ratio is just enough MCT oil to cover the bud so you can stir it. I don't know about with the concentrate you have but check out the cooking with cannabis section you probably will find something. Good luck!

Deleted Member 1643

Probably won't need double boiler. QWET oil dissolved very easily in MCT, although it was always a little cloudy. Just swirled in warm eater. Suggest experimenting with a few drops first to work out your procedure.

Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: JBO

Vapology

Any news regarding the DIY vape-juice made from concentrates and MCT oil?

I really want to make some cannabis-vape-juice for Ccell or Liberty cartridges and for my Vaporesso Veco atomizer. I press my own rosin from kief, hash and flower. I don't liked the taste and the feel of added Terpenes like HolyTerps or CaliTerpenes. I'm not a cloud chaser or vaping nerd - I don't like PG, VG or PEG
I stopt smoking 3 months ago and now I want an easy, clean and portable solution to medicate with cannabis without combustion or any other health issues.

An 'all organic' mixture with just two main ingredients - fresh rosin & MCT oil - sounds desirable to me.
I would love to hear some new experiences, ideas, advices from users whom just went through this hole story :)

Vapology

1 g QWET oil plus 2.5 ml MCT oil
So you never tried to mix something like a 50/50 mix with 1G/1ML? Or even lower?
I can understand that you are not interested in experimenting further because you are happy with your E-juice. I thought that MCT could be a real alternative for people like me who don't like the PG/VG mixtures.

Vapology

I got my MCT oil today and I started preparing and mixing immediately.

0.5 G rosin + 0.5 G MCT oil

I mixed it on a hotplate between 140-160F/ 60-70C degrees. The consistency is perfect for my Vaporesso veco tank (thanks to @Steven and @Vape Donkey 650), the same mix should also be good for cartridges with bigger intake holes and Ceramic heater. The taste is really not existent - well I think that's great to start with ;) I can taste a little light greenish flavor from the rosin but the MCT oil really is tasteless. I vape in TC mode at 383F/ 195C degrees with 13Watt and a SS316L coil at 0.46Ohm in a Ceramic tube.

I'm not sure about the effects jet but i think it's different to my first batches. In the first two batches I mixed the same rosin with terpenes from HolyTerps and CaliTerpenes ... the consistency was not good at all, I had to warmup the tank before hitting it. The taste with the terpenes was very harsh and strong, it made me cough immediately. But maybe I felt more effects vaping the rosin mixed with terpenes ... I'm not sure ... i just have to start a new mix: 1G rosin + 1G MCT + 1 drop GorillaGlue fake Terpenes

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Nah bro you don't want to be vaping MCT, especially at a 50% ratio! If you're not going to use real cannabis derived terpenes, you should just use a Load As You Go atomizer that works with raw undiluted concentrate products such as the Divine Tribe V3 or the Saionara.

Top Bottom