MaxVapor E-Nail - 2018 Version

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Still working on the video guys, sorry it is taking so long it has turned into something larger than I first anticipated to highlight all of the features and modes. What I expected to be a short video is quickly approaching a 10 minute walkthrough.

I too am very excited, on the verge of placing an order but would love to see a bit of the functionality in action

There is certainly no rush, I am sure you will be convinced once the video is posted.

Any idea what time-frame you're looking at for a 220V international release?

Making the hardware work on 220v is just a matter of switching the Fuse, Solid State Relay, the power receptacle and the coil so they will likely be available on the next manufacturing run, so probably around November if I had to guess.

After the demise of Hex-Nail this looks very interesting. On the site it mentions that the cleaning mode is 5 minutes and the ramp mode goes from 400F to 850F, will these values be user customizable? So if I wanted to clean for 20 minutes and ramp up from 500F-650F for example would that be a simple change for me to make?

On the website I noticed there's only an option for what appears to be First Class shipping to Canada. Would there be any way to pay more for a faster option like Priority or Express International?

Nearly all of the settings are customizable once you link your unit with our web portal. Any values that are listed are just defaults that ship with the unit or for those users who wish to remain unconnected. All of these features will be highlighted in the instructional video.

I don't know the final weight of the boxes yet, once everything is squared away I can add those shipping options for everyone or if you want to send us an email with your location I could make you a custom invoice.

I already do this! My HN is connected to a smart plug, and I use Tasker to control Alexa to get exactly the behavior you described. Could also be done without Alexa and a smart plug if you leave it on and allow Tasker or another automation tool to imitate screen contact. For example you can have it open the site, connect to the device, and toggle the heater. It'll be nice when there's a device that does it with their own services.

We have an endpoint that works with services like IFTTT so if you have something like a Samsung SmartThings Hub that detects your presence when you are home, or another way to trigger it such as Amazon Alexa you can send a few different events such as temperature change, coil on / off.

JigMelon

We have an endpoint that works with services like IFTTT so if you have something like a Samsung SmartThings Hub that detects your presence when you are home, or another way to trigger it such as Amazon Alexa you can send a few different events such as temperature change, coil on / off.

That blows away emulating touch input! You'll probably have this out before such features are released for the hex, and I think that exact point, if advertised, would be the turning point for people who wanted a hex (RIP).

JigMelon,

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
That blows away emulating touch input! You'll probably have this out before such features are released for the hex, and I think that exact point, if advertised, would be the turning point for people who wanted a hex (RIP).

The IFTTT integration is something that already exists on our previous wifi only model so we have had that for about a year now.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
This does look promising. Would i be able to use my disorderely conduction coils on this unit? or is your pin layout different? @maxvapor710

Also, are you still expecting to ship at the end of this month?

The standard unit ships with what we call the "D-nail pinout" but as I mentioned we are happy to wire your connector to any standard you provide us with as long it is before your unit goes through final assembly.

We have had a few people who pre-ordered request the NewVape style connector on their unit so we are doing our best to accommodate that as well.

We are still on track to be ready to ship at the end of the month, the only potential holdup I can see for retail sales at this point is the final packaging with barcodes and everything on it to go to the shops but if you are fine with receiving a brown box if it comes down to it, then it shouldn't affect you receiving a unit in a timely fashion.

Dubmonkey

I am very interested but will hold off until I see a video of response time and connectivity.

Do you happen to have the dimensions of the maxvapor controller?
Is the silicone mat on top of the unit removeable? What is under it?
Looking at the purple edition is the top of the unit purple under the silicone mat?
Are you folks comsidering a battery pack for the maxvapor unit? So it can be used mobile?
Is the interface app based or browser based? If app based are the apps in the iTunes and google play stores already?
What is the targeted shipping date if I don’t care about barcodes, boxes, and stuff? Late August or earlier?

Thanks in advance. And like I said loving the features listed and the proposed performance.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
I am very interested but will hold off until I see a video of response time and connectivity.

Do you happen to have the dimensions of the maxvapor controller?
Is the silicone mat on top of the unit removeable? What is under it?
Looking at the purple edition is the top of the unit purple under the silicone mat?
Are you folks comsidering a battery pack for the maxvapor unit? So it can be used mobile?
Is the interface app based or browser based? If app based are the apps in the iTunes and google play stores already?
What is the targeted shipping date if I don’t care about barcodes, boxes, and stuff? Late August or earlier?

Thanks in advance. And like I said loving the features listed and the proposed performance.

The footprint of the unit is 97x80mm, and is approximately 41mm tall.

The mat is removable and 3 of them are included. The cases are made from 6061 Aluminum and the area where the silicone mat sits has a small ridge to keep the mat in place so underneath it is just the anodized aluminum like the rest of the case.

Battery Pack... we have an internal prototype that runs from a USB-C PD power source (battery or otherwise) but I don't feel comfortable turning it into production hardware at this point. There are some new USB-C power controller ICs coming out soon which I think will make the product better in the long run, the ones on the market currently are kind of finicky in my opinion, so probably not this year.

You can control all of the core functionality of the unit just by using the knob and screen that is built in, you only need to link it to WiFi or Bluetooth if you want to set advanced parameters or log your temperature data, etc.

Currently all online interaction is done through our web portal which pushes any changes to your unit via MQTT protocol and the Bluetooth / React Native app is still under development.

Target shipping date: Late August. All of the hardware is here ready to go, just waiting on some red tape basically.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
A few people have emailed us asking for us to post the internals of our electronics to see what they are getting in to.

I am out of the office today so I don't have any photos of a completely assembled one wired up inside but below is a photo of one of the devs prototype main board from a May 2018 revision which is pretty close to the shipping board.

https://imgur.com/a/fOr5ygT

edit:

One of our developers was kind enough to snap a few photos of his devkit. Apart from the rainbow colored wire snaking off to the left from the programming port, what you see is what you get.

https://imgur.com/a/d6vcYhQ

You can see that our Solid State Relay and Power Supply are both encapsulated and CE certified.

This particular unit appears to have a Crydom relay, but the production units normally ship with the same part from a US based company Opto22 which carries a lifetime replacement warranty from the manufacturer.

I believe the Crydom relays are manufactured in Mexico but we will honor the lifetime SSR warranty no matter which relay is in your unit.

Last edited:

JigMelon

@maxvapor710 That's probably my fault; I posted the inside of an HN-02 in the Hex thread, which likely caused people to be wary. Thank you for disclosing the pics and info; Hex and AugustHaus can't hold a torch to this. Undoubtedly the best IC solution on the market right now.

Also, that was me who emailed you asking about open source. On the same topic, do you have (or are you making) an API or another interfacing system for the signaling server? Is it RPC based? I do intend on buying a MaxVapor in the future (I need to wait a few more paychecks before I can drop yet another $300 on a weed device that replaces something I have that already works), but I'm also interested in using the HN-02 with some of your tech once you get to the open source stage of development. Of course there are many things specific to your hardware/firmware, but if you are using a discreet interface for the signaling server there's no reason I/someone couldn't make an abstraction layer/library for using the Hex with your signaling solution.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not suggesting using the Hex on your services. Rather, I'm suggesting that once you open source the components which are not in the physical device (if you intend on open sourcing that, as well), it would be possible to implement a signaling server similar to yours either on a private/local server or on the Hex itself.

Looks like you added my question to the site, too!

What do you mean by "Open Platform"?
We encourage people to improve the unit or make it their own. You can customize Boot Screens and Audio Themes in the MaxVapor Dashboard.

Advanced users can hook up to the programming header and load their own software. Full source code will be released once the firmware is ‘feature complete’.​

The transparency is a serious game changer coming off the heels of HexNail, AugustHaus, and CCA710.

When do preorders stop? I might have to bite the bullet before the pricing is increased.

Last edited:

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Looks very promising...i am also looking forward to the 220V batch,
any plans on releasing a DUAL Unit ?

I am using a Flowerpot for Herb and a Liger
for Concentrates so i would love to have one unit to power them both and i think there are more peops out there rocking more then one coil at a time :)

Last edited:

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@maxvapor710

Also, that was me who emailed you asking about open source. On the same topic, do you have (or are you making) an API or another interfacing system for the signaling server? Is it RPC based? I do intend on buying a MaxVapor in the future (I need to wait a few more paychecks before I can drop yet another $300 on a weed device that replaces something I have that already works), but I'm also interested in using the HN-02 with some of your tech once you get to the open source stage of development. Of course there are many things specific to your hardware/firmware, but if you are using a discreet interface for the signaling server there's no reason I/someone couldn't make an abstraction layer/library for using the Hex with your signaling solution.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not suggesting using the Hex on your services. Rather, I'm suggesting that once you open source the components which are not in the physical device (if you intend on open sourcing that, as well), it would be possible to implement a signaling server similar to yours either on a private/local server or on the Hex itself.

I am not sure how technical I should get.

I do not own a HN but from what I understand the platform is a SoC / Linux based and probably runs on a bunch of python scripts.

Our unit is based on a modern microcontroller and doesn't really run an operating system in the normal sense. All of the firmware for the device is written in C with a little C++ sprinkled in and the microprocessor runs something called FreeRTOS to help us interact with the hardware a little bit and manage some things. This is the portion we intend to release the source to once everything is finalized.

You can see in the pictures I provided above there is a programming port on the front of the unit, anyone is free to hook up to that and modify our code and load it to their unit or write their own firmware if they want; we don't use it on our codebase but our microprocessor is also compatible with the Arduino IDE which I am sure a lot of people are familiar with so you can write sketches and load them up too.

Elemen0py

+1 for dual output @ 220V. That's an insta-buy from me.

As long as we're throwing in dream scenarios, a premium variant with a touchscreen with the full functionality of the app without any external connection required would make this perfection for me, but now we're talking a whole different ball-game.

You can see in the pictures I provided above there is a programming port on the front of the unit, anyone is free to hook up to that and modify our code and load it to their unit or write their own firmware if they want.

First one to get Doom running on this thing gets a free vape of their choice.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Looks very promising...i am also looking forward to the 220V batch,
any plans on releasing a DUAL Unit ?

I am using a Flowerpot for Herb and a Liger
for Concentrates so i would love to have one unit to power them both and i think there are more peops out there rocking more then one coil at a time :)

Are you using EU 220V or you just want to use 220V coils in the US? If the former, send us an email and I will put you guys on a list or something for when we are ready to test.

We made some dual and quad output controllers a couple years ago for some people running dab station booths at events but as far as the consumer product goes, all of our attention is on this product at the moment until release.

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Im from the EU so in the former...but rly just interessted in a dual unit as for now i am using a cheapo dual chinese station and it also gets the job done...but i never said no to an upgrade :D

gunmetalshark,
Reactions: Hogni

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
+1 for dual output @ 220V. That's an insta-buy from me.

As long as we're throwing in dream scenarios, a premium variant with a touchscreen with the full functionality of the app without any external connection required would make this perfection for me, but now we're talking a whole different ball-game.

First one to get Doom running on this thing gets a free vape of their choice.

https://github.com/espressif/esp32-doom

Getting a little confused but wiring up for EU 220V and US 220V with two hot legs are pretty different when switching and relays are concerned...

An EU 220V is coming soon, I mentioned above its just a matter of swapping out a few parts.

You want to use like a US 220V dryer / kitchen outlet and power (2) 120V coils from that? Is that a common thing?

maxvapor710,

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
I can only speak for me but what i would want is a EU- Unit with 220V Inlet

04565_o.jpg

and 2x XLR 220V DNAIL wired output sockets :)

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Just to confirm, would an EU 220V be functional in Australia with the right plug?

In the US our residential "220V" is (2) 120V lines used together which makes creating those devices a little more complicated. Its normally only used on large appliances like Washer/Dryer or an Oven. I have heard it is a reason that electric tea kettles aren't more common in the US as they take way longer to heat up from a countertop outlet running 110.

Most countries who have a 220V standard would use the EU version and just swap with a different plug.

So if you guys are on the "EU 220V" please send us an email and I will see if we can get some testing units or something worked out.

For those that already have a dual output EU 220V unit, does the unit have separate PID / Relay for each output?

Last edited:

Elemen0py

You want to use like a US 220V dryer / kitchen outlet and power (2) 120V coils from that? Is that a common thing?
No, we're on the same 220V EU standard, we just have a different plug.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I said dual power outlet I meant to run two coils at once, not dual power from the wall outlet.

Last edited:

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
From what I understand the kit will likely increase to 349 we will offer the controller only at the 299 price.

At the moment we don't have anything listed without coils but I could see if we could knock 20-30 bucks off or something like that for the preorder.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
No, we're on the same 220V EU standard, we just have a different plug.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I said dual power outlet I meant to run two coils at once, not dual power from the wall outlet.

Yep I got you, send us an email if you haven't already.

maxvapor710,
Top Bottom