Magical Butter

grokit

well-worn member
No, it was olive oil for eating.

To put it another way, would it be possible make hash oil from AVP in this machine, for vaping with an e-pen that has an oil tank?

I understand that a different oil may work better, I was thinking of coconut :huh:

grokit,

grokit

well-worn member
I think the big thing for me is I don't understand the temperatures at all. Why give me an option for butter at 160-250? I get film at 160 where I bet at higher temperature makes it easier to work with and better extraction. Is there a reason to use oil at lower temps or higher temps? I always thought 220 was the perfect temp before.

Thoughts?

I am not finding the 160 to be worthy. A cup of cooking oil at 220 for 1 hour was far superior to the same butter at 160. And did not lose 20%.

And fwiw. 90 min oil, cleanup, back in box. Brownies in 30 min, 15 to cool. Hair over 2 hours potent. Well worth 175.00 and no smell.
All oils have different smoking points, so I would think that setting the machine at the highest temp that's under the smoke point for the oil being used would offer the best yield.

For example peanut oil has one of the highest smoking points at 450°F, while EVOO has one of the lowest at 320°F. I may hone in on avocado oil for my purposes, it doesn't smoke until it reaches 520°F!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CookingOilTypes.htm

grokit,

grokit

well-worn member
I guess it's kind of too bad that you can't bypass the decarb cycle for processing AVP?

I'm also thinking that it may be necessary to process/strain the same oil more than once to make it strong enough to be worth vaping.

I can't be the first one to think of this :worms:

grokit,

grokit

well-worn member
I'm looking forward to this, everybody everywhere seems quite happy with it!

I was thinking of trying some avocado oil for my first AVB batch. It has a smoking point over 500°F so I can try to vape it, and it's food safe so I can put it in stuff to eat. The only downside that I can think of is it may not solidify easily so if I add water it could be more of a chore to remove it later.

From what I know about cooking oils, even the healthy ones like olive and coconut (and hemp:peace:) lose their health benefits when they are heated to a certain temperature, and become downright harmful when heated to the point of smoking. I would assume this includes inhaling it as well as ingesting it.

Here's a thought: If we could somehow turn the decarb off, could we then safely use this for alcohol tinctures, or is there heat during the rest of the extraction cycle?

I can't wait to try this sucker out :p

grokit,

Tweek

To put it another way, would it be possible make hash oil from AVP in this machine, for vaping with an e-pen that has an oil tank?

I understand that a different oil may work better, I was thinking of coconut :huh:

You can make a tincture using glycerine in the machine and vape that. I think the problem with oils that are used for eating, is that they can go rancid easily.

Tweek,
Reactions: grokit

lowkee00

All oils have different smoking points, so I would think that setting the machine at the highest temp that's under the smoke point for the oil being used would offer the best yield.

For example peanut oil has one of the highest smoking points at 450°F, while EVOO has one of the lowest at 320°F. I may hone in on avocado oil for my purposes, it doesn't smoke until it reaches 520°F!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CookingOilTypes.htm

The mb2 goes up to 250, so you think 250 would be just as good with veggie oil as 220? will it extract more? The smoking point in insignificant, the mb2 does not get that hot.

lowkee00,

grokit

well-worn member
I really don't know. I have everclear, glycerine, coconut, avocado and olive oils laying around, and even some prop glycol but I think I want to be successful on my first batch so I'll probably go with butter. That is the namesake of the machine after all lol, but maybe olive oil since I use a lot of that as well.

My comment was more about the health benefits of not heating the oil too much. I would think that the oil extraction temperature recommended my the manufacturer for oil is optimum for most oils. EVOO, which has the lowest smoking point of 320°F, is still out of the range of the MBM's maximum so it can't smoke an oil to the point of being harmful to our health which is good.

But heating it to even 220°F could potentially reduce some of the health benefits of EVOO, so I wouldn't risk heating it to 250°F instead. The higher the temperature, the more potentially destructive the process could be for the health benefits of consuming EVOO in the first place, which are considerable.

Something like extra light olive oil has a much higher smoking temp than EVOO, but it has less health benefits as well because it's not first-pressing or cold-processed.

But if you are using regular salad or canola oil there's no real health benefits anyways and the smoking points are on the high side, so perhaps you could try it at both temps and get back to us? That would certainly be a valid datapoint.

I thought that Tweek's comment about rancidity was a good one, but if the end product is refrigerated it may not be that big of an issue. Still it is interesting that coconut oil, which has a low smoke point, has one of the longest shelf lives.

I agree that we need to look at shelf stability as well as smoking points etc., but sorry but I can't offer any real advice as I haven't received my MBM to use it yet!

grokit,

grokit

well-worn member
You can make a tincture using glycerine in the machine and vape that. I think the problem with oils that are used for eating, is that they can go rancid easily.

Do you think a glycerine tincture from strictly ABV would be worth vaping?

grokit,

satyrday

I never had much luck vaping cooking type oils. Even if you hit their smoke point, they don't really release a lot of smoke or vapor - they just kind of bubble like in a fryer and mainly stay in the liquid state. YMMV.

grokit

well-worn member
Okay that's good, mj for example vaporizes at what say ~390°F, so what we need is an oil that would have a high smoke point so as to vaporize the thc without smoking the oil. That's why I went with avocado oil, it's over 500° before it smokes, well past the vaporization point for mj.

It's harder to research the shelf lives than it is the smoke temp for cooking oils, but it seems peanut and coconut lead the pack at about 5 years. Avocado isn't too bad though, at up to two years (and interestingly) without refrigeration:

"This is the only carrier oil we sell that I recommend leaving at a cool room temperature rather then in the refrigerator. Avocado has a 1-2 year shelf life, and it is recommended that it is not kept in the refrigerator as it forms deposits and it congeals."

Peanut oil may be the best of both worlds with a high smoke point of 450° and a 5-year shelf life. Also rice oil has a smoke point of 490° but it looks like its shelf life is quite poor, especially if it still has the bran in it.

I know from cooking that you can re-infuse the same oil over and over again to increase the flavor (potency), I wonder about doing that with oils/glycerine for vape purposes.

grokit,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Refrigerator really...I never put my oil in the fridge am I suppose to. I am not talking about mj oil just reg olive and veggie. I don't put mj oil in the fridge either though. The only oil that is in my fridge is coconut oil the open one, the closed one is on the counter.

Dreamerr,

grokit

well-worn member
Evidently they're all different to some degree as far as their storage needs, but oxidation and light are two of oil's other biggest enemies besides temperature. If the jar is clear glass, even if it's unopened it should be in a dark cabinet because light affects them as well.

grokit,

Tweek

Do you think a glycerine tincture from strictly ABV would be worth vaping?

I've never tried it with duff, but personally I would use fresh for glycerine. As a carrier it doesn't hold as much THC as butter, for example, so starting with potent material will probably give you better results, IMO. Interested in hearing from folks who have tried it though.

Tweek,
Reactions: grokit

CheeseSandwich

Is there a way to tell the mb1 from mb2? I seen one at a LHS for $160 but i wasn't sure which one it was?

CheeseSandwich,

grokit

well-worn member
mb1-vs-mb2.jpg

defy

Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread but I found it in a search so just in case:

You shouldn't vape and inhale oils(of any kind) because they release a chemical that is cancerous when at their smoke point. I can't remember specifically what it is, but this is why most juices stick to propolyne glycol or vegetable glycerin.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that' it's bad for you so be careful if you do try to experiment.

On a side note, from what I've read, PG and VG don't really mesh or mix with THC/CBC, etc. They act as more of a carrier to get them into your wick.

~defy

grokit

well-worn member
Mfr website is down (bad sign, like ploom.com?) so here's an ebay graphic:

hky1643167.jpg

grokit,

Dreamerr

Defy, then what should we do if no oils and vg/pg isn't the best?

Dreamerr,

Dreamerr

Gro who is smoking oil? Did I miss a post somewhere...still in the state of confusion...not sure if you ever read my location.

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
Mfr website is down (bad sign, like ploom.com?) so here's an ebay graphic:

hky1643167.jpg

Check again Grokit, I still can access both of the websites. I am really tempted to pick one of these up. I like edibles but have a fear that I will mess up and waste my herb making my own oils and butter, this seems to make it a sure thing.

NinjaMindTriks,
Reactions: ou812?

grokit

well-worn member
Okay so I have finally fired my mbm up. I went big, put in 3 cups butter*, 2 cups coconut oil, 24 grams avb and 16 grams dry green bud so it's maxed out lol, running for two hours on the butter cycle.

* 1 salted, 2 unsalted

:popcorn:

Literally I'm thinking popcorn. And cookies. And toast...

Top Bottom