Looking to buy a Solo, had some questions about accessories.

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
Hey guys, I'm about to buy a solo here in a couple days and I had some questions for you solo owners out there.

Is the PVHE stem really necessary? What exactly does it do/How big of a difference does it make? What is the difference from the normal PVHE to the Turbo besides the bowl size?

Does the solo have a problem with herb falling from the stem into the stainless oven? If so can the PHVE stem or sandwiching screens eliminate the problem?

What is the newest model number of the solo? The M108?

And are there any other accessories you would recommend?

Thanks in advance, I actually have done a fair amount of research but these are some questions I had that couldn't be answered.

Kevdog420,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
The PV stems aren't necessary by any means, they are just nice. I use the standard stems though.

I always push the herb into the stem pretty tight and then blow lightly over it to remove any small particles that will fall on the heater to ruin the taste. Works pretty well.

Newest models all start with M1A and then a number 1 - 4. There are not any major differences between them.

And I really like the planet vape whip adapter. The Solo is great with a whip.

CentiZen,
Reactions: hoptimum

Meghan

Hey there! I bought a Solo M1A4 (I understand that's the latest version) just a few weeks ago. I really love it, so good choice! :)

The guy I bought the unit from suggested that I pick up a PVHE stem, and I'm really glad I did. The Solo I purchased came only with the stock bent stem because the seller (who'd only had it a couple weeks) damaged the original straight one while modding it. It worked just fine with the stock stem, but I felt like there was a definite learning curve as far as getting big hits (which I like). Once I got the PVHE stem, getting big clouds became much easier. I haven't used the stock stem since except for this past Sunday evening, when I thought I'd left my PVHE stem at a friend's house. It was just fine, of course, and I actually did note that I got nice, fat hits from it (my vaping technique has improved). But when I found my PVHE stem in my pocket the next morning (d'oh!), I switched right back to it. I really do prefer it.

I can't speak to the difference between the various PVHE stems...I got the straight one.

I haven't had much issue at all with herb falling into the oven. I've had a couple tiny crumbs left over, but nothing I haven't been able to easily knock or scrape out. For the most part the material seems to stay in the stem just fine...just load and unload with the Solo upside-down and you shouldn't have an issue.

I haven't tried any other accessories yet, but I do plan on picking up a GonG adapter once my new water pipe arrives (the tiny one I have now just won't cut it). Enjoy your Solo! :)

Meghan,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
Thanks guys.

What exactly is the difference between the stems though? I don't really understand what makes the PVHE ones better.

Also are screens nice to have for the solo? or are they even necessary?

Kevdog420,

hoptimum

Thanks guys.

What exactly is the difference between the stems though? I don't really understand what makes the PVHE ones better.

Also are screens nice to have for the solo? or are they even necessary?

The PV stems have notches, which improves the air flow. Yes, 1/2 inch screens are nice, especially for filling the stem by using it like a straw to sip up your ground herb.

hoptimum,
Reactions: Meghan

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
The PV stems have notches, which improves the air flow. Yes, 1/2 inch screens are nice, especially for filling the stem by using it like a straw to sip up your ground herb.
OK thank you!

Also does anyone recommend sandwiching the bud inbetween screens? or is it necessary?

Kevdog420,

VAPORIZER22

OK thank you!

Also does anyone recommend sandwiching the bud inbetween screens? or is it necessary?

I use a flat 1/2 in screen on the bottom of the bowl of the stem and I use a domed screen to top the bowl. I do not like any debris falling out and sitting on the heating element so I always use a screen. The PVHES are not necessary but for me are a great improvement over the stock stems. With a slower draw to compensate for the increased airflow, I am able to get thicker clouds in a shorter draw time compared to the stock stem. If you plan on using your Solo with water then a GonG (PVHE or regular) is a good to have, although you can directly put the stock stem in a 14mm joint.

VAPORIZER22,
Reactions: Kevdog420

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
Well now my only question is to find out the difference between the PVHE and the Turbo model. I think it's the bowl size and a notch for the screen but idk.

Yeah I was gonna wait for the ascent but the solo @ $150 just seems like such a better deal. Sounds like its the champ of all the portables right now.

Kevdog420,

hoptimum

Well now my only question is to find out the difference between the PVHE and the Turbo model. I think it's the bowl size and a notch for the screen but idk.

Yeah I was gonna wait for the ascent but the solo @ $150 just seems like such a better deal. Sounds like its the champ of all the portables right now.

the solo has been around long enough to have a track record, which you cannot say for the ascent. the ascent may possibly be a great vaporizer, but for the money you cannot go wrong with the solo

VAPORIZER22

The Turbo PVHE is just an open hole, instead of having four small holes. It has the most airflow of all the stems, some like them some prefer the regular. There are also shorty stems that have a 30% reduced bowl size.

VAPORIZER22,
Reactions: Kevdog420

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
The Turbo PVHE is just an open hole, instead of having four small holes. It has the most airflow of all the stems, some like them some prefer the regular. There are also shorty stems that have a 30% reduced bowl size.
Thanks man!

What one do most people prefer? seems to me the regular would probably do a better job.

Kevdog420,

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
Thanks man!

What one do most people prefer? seems to me the regular would probably do a better job.

I prefer the normal PHVES to the turbo, I like to 4 holes because the airflow is good enough and not "too much" ... also I can use a more coarse screen since than with a 1 hole where I would need a tighter screen who requires more cleaning...

I always sandwich and the cooking is even :)

I have a GoNG PVHES BTW...

m0sh,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I like Ed's stems. screen is built in, doesn't break, has a little better airflow than stock stems and fits a 14mm downstem.

stickstones,
Reactions: KidFated.

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
I like Ed's stems. screen is built in, doesn't break, has a little better airflow than stock stems and fits a 14mm downstem.

Oh yeah +1 to Ed's stem, tho I haven't used it in a while...he has a very tight mesh...The airflow can go away badly if you don't clean it often...but nothing will get through your stem...

This is a must even if you're not using it,in case you break all your glass stem or in case you want to travel with no glass...

m0sh,
Reactions: ataxian

Kief

Medicated
Hey guys, I'm about to buy a solo here in a couple days and I had some questions for you solo owners out there.

Is the PVHE stem really necessary? What exactly does it do/How big of a difference does it make? What is the difference from the normal PVHE to the Turbo besides the bowl size?
I would try the stock stems before you decide if the restriction is too much for you. That restriction is part of the design.

Does the solo have a problem with herb falling from the stem into the stainless oven? If so can the PHVE stem or sandwiching screens eliminate the problem?
Not much of a problem, having a little moisture left in your herb helps keep it together.

What is the newest model number of the solo? The M108?
No, just buy from a trusted FC retailer and have no worries.

And are there any other accessories you would recommend?
If you plan on using your Solo near a power outlet at all, I would get a power adapter. With the PA, the Solo is also a contender as a desktop vape. You can get the Solo and PA together for $190 @ PuffItUp.

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
I will look into this since the PVHE's are sold out. The wood looks nice.

Is there any other retailers that carry PVHE stems? Im guessing probably not..

Kevdog420,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
Im seeing $130 as a pretty standard price on Ebay.

Does arizer honor the warranty if you buy it from ebay?

Kevdog420,

Meghan

I don't think you'll get warranty support with an Ebay purchase. Also, and I'm not sure how often this actually happens, but I've heard that some sellers on Ebay sell fake, counterfeit units made on the cheap in faraway places. Again, this is purely anecdotal, but I've also heard that the Arizer Solo is one of the more commonly counterfeited vapes due to its popularity.

You can buy the Solo at puffitup.com for $160. For a difference of $30, I'd play it safe and buy through an authorized retailer.

Meghan,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
I don't think you'll get warranty support with an Ebay purchase. Also, and I'm not sure how often this actually happens, but I've heard that some sellers on Ebay sell fake, counterfeit units made on the cheap in faraway places. Again, this is purely anecdotal, but I've also heard that the Arizer Solo is one of the more commonly counterfeited vapes due to its popularity.

You can buy the Solo at puffitup.com for $160. For a difference of $30, I'd play it safe and buy through an authorized retailer.
Yeah probably a much better idea. I think I'll just pay the extra for the guarantee. thanks for the advice.

Kevdog420,
Reactions: Meghan

chisholm

Aromatherapatient
When I registered my Solo a few days ago, the reply email said that if I ever need warranty service, to contact the seller. May be harder through an ebay seller.

chisholm,

SlinginPaint

As Above ∞ So Below
When I registered my Solo a few days ago, the reply email said that if I ever need warranty service, to contact the seller. May be harder through an ebay seller.

Then you probably bought a unit that is a fake/counterfeit... If the Serial Number you sent Arizer was not valid, then this is most likely the case. Solo is one of the most popular vapes... hence counterfeits.

SlinginPaint,

hoptimum

Then you probably bought a unit that is a fake/counterfeit... If the Serial Number you sent Arizer was not valid, then this is most likely the case. Solo is one of the most popular vapes... hence counterfeits.

Thats not necessarily true. Arizer has a very stringent policy toward honoring warranties. Unless you buy it from them they nearly always instruct you to deal with the seller for warranty issues. Do you have any evidence to support your claim of counterfeit Solos, because this is the first I've heard of it.

hoptimum,
Top Bottom