Longtime older smokers not fond of vapor?

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I've been using MJ for almost 12 years and vaporizing solely the past year. The first time I hit a vaporizer I knew from that moment that smoking is truly inferior in almost every aspect. It literally took that one hit off my No2 to convert me. With friends and family there seems to be mixed opinions on vaporizing. The younger crowd seem to love them (although I'm the only person I know who doesn't combust at all) and nearly all of the more mature smokers just don't seem to like it. I know it's kind of hard to break tradition and everything isn't for everyone but I really thought more people would have a life changing experience as I did.

Thoughts?

vapirtoo

My crew of 40 + years of imbibing weed in many different ways is 50-50 when it comes to vaping.
Some like you loved it at first puff while some others just don't get it and don't want it.
All of my people are weed only no cigs although the occasional cuban cigar is appreciated by a few.
Most loved the health benefits and the more mature high, but about half of my die hard stoner ( 4 )
friends felt the high was either too intense !? or the hit in the lungs was not as satifying as combusting.
All of my friends that loved vaping ran out and got a Magic flight Launch Box and have not looked back
since. My combusting peeps look on like I'm in another new fad.

OH yeah sweet little Honda sports car. :rockon:

vapirtoo,

max

Out to lunch
In a lot of cases it's the reverse, with the young people not bothered by smoke yet, and older smokers looking to take a load off their lungs. On the hardware side, I can see younger people taking to vapes better, with older smokers (especially those who just use small pipes or joints) not feeling comfortable with some of the vaping apparatus.

For anyone who wants to give vaporizing a serious try, I advise using a decent vape and laying off the smoke for a while. Switching back and forth between smoke and vapor, if you're a smoker, tends to favor smoke, since there's more hangover effect. Going back and forth tends to blur the difference, while going vapor only for a week or so brings the vapor high into sharp focus. And some will still prefer smoking, even after a good long trial with a top quality vape. In some cases, for some people, the smoke high will be preferred.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Some older folks are averse to what they perceive to be excessive paraphernalia - they had their fun with bongs and such when they were younger but now just prefer joints or a one hitter. Vaporizers are to them excessive paraphernalia. I remember a few years ago I turned an old friend of mine onto vaping offering him a hit from my SSV. His words - "Yeah, I get it, it's floaty. It's OK. A little too ritual for me."

jeffp,

djonkoman

I have some friends who do like vapor, but still won't buy a vape themselves. then a very few who have gotten a vape(one a vaporgenie, wich he got as a birthdaypresent btw, the other an arizer solo)
and especially one friend doesn't even want to try it, he also doesn't like edibles(but I don't know if he ever tried edibles), just joints mixed with tobacco. and he is a younger stoner

I notice mopre difference between tobaccosmokers and non tobaccosmokers, and ocassional smokers and stoners that smoke daily andf are used to joints with tobacco

djonkoman,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
A friend I haven't seen in years was in town last week. He came over with another guy who is a MMJ patient. These guys are both my age (40-50) and both combust. My friend's only experience with vapor was at a show when a guy let him hit his MFLB. So, of course his experience was less than stellar. He said he was hitting it like a pipe and was getting nothing. the other guy actually owns an Iolite or something and never uses it.

So, I bring them down for a tour of the facility and to try my EQ. I loaded it up with SLH and showed them how to hit it through glass. My friend liked it and got blasted. The other guy thought it was combusting because he "saw smoke" on exhale and never saw anything with his Iolite. He then asked if he could combust the next hits. Oh well, I don't think there is much hope turning him!

My friend came back the next day for a more serious attempt at vaping. I loaded him up with some Widow and got him to take some nice, huge hits though my Mobius. He was coughing and laughing and just amazed. Now, I can see him vaping, but he probably doesn't have the money to dish out on a vaporizer.

I think as I got older, smoking just wasn't very appealing anymore to me. I have been vaping for 2 years and never combust anymore. It's not really a health thing, but I love that i don't stink like weed anymore, don't cough up a lung in the morning, and generally feel better. It's also given me the opportunity to become addicted to nice glass.

It was awesome to see my friend again, and it was cool to be able to expose two older heads to the wonders of vaporization! I just wish my Cloud had arrived in time- now that would have really impressed them!

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I'm 20, all of my friends who partake smoke it, or sometimes have edibles. I'm the only person with a vaporizer, and I looove it. I still cough sometimes from the dry vapors (especially with kief) but I constructed a silly little makeshift waterpipe with a diffused 'downstem' and used some hot water. It cleared up my coughing pretty quickly and I was taking huge hits off of it. I expect a 12-16" glass on glass with a properly diffused downstem and maybe an ice catcher will serve me quite well, but I'm low on funds and I've still got a car bill to pay this month as well as some medical bills, so I might not see it till the end of this month/beginning of next month.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever use the water pipe for my meds, maybe once or twice just to say I did, but the only times I smoke now are when I'm getting something handed to me, otherwise I stick to my vape. My lungs have cleared up nicely, I can taste food a bit better now, and I don't smell like weed anymore after a session/dose. I rolled up a joint the other day, about .5-.7g of The Church, and only the first 2-5 hits tasted good, the rest tasted like copper or metal or something :( A bubbler and hemp wick did help the flavor out a bit but I still got that weird taste as I got closer to being done with it. I can stand the popcorn taste way better than the combustion taste, and I can imagine that desktop vaporizers will only be better than my box (which, IMO, is a unique and lovely little device.)

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: KeroZen

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I smoked for most of 30 years. I think I refused vaping as a viable thing to do for a very long time, it was too expensive, it was too fringe, it was something I didn't have access to, blah blah blah

I remember a client in 2005 telling me he switched to e-cigs, and it was like he was speaking a different language, the language of weirdos and weaklings.

Then my ADHD attentiveness started to manifest in Internet obsessions, and my gaze swung to FuckCombustion, I became obsessed, read a lot which deepened my understanding.

This was the site that clued me into humans being herbivores, so I appreciate the new perspectives this site has given me.

VWFringe,
Reactions: KeroZen

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I smoked most of my life, but I could never go back. It's just too nasty for me now.

Vicki,

HoneyAir

I heard once that the plant matter gives a certain dimension to the high that one can get used to out of habit when they are combusting... so when they try vaping they feel like something is missing and go back to it.

Vaping for me was totally a stepping-out-of-the-dark-ages moment. "How did we not know this sooner?". Granted, some of the first experiences [such as conduction vaping giving a horrible taste] made it totally unappealing in those times...

HoneyAir,
been smoking since i was 15 seriously. i am now 44 and been vaping for 6 years now. i switched because i work out and found that heavy smoke made excersize troubling for many reasons. But i am not using a vape away from home and most of my friends age 25 to 45 smoke out of many things and ive noticed they seem to think coughing their brains out is part of the ritual and essential to getting off. in my vape i only smoke concentrates and the occasional high grade hash. i prefer the concentrates for many reasons and i will never stop vaping for as long as i am working out.

badbadbiker,

JacFlasche

I have been using the herb since 65'. I started vaping 15 years ago. Since I started, I have taken about three puffs off of a joint, that was five years ago. Lots of my buddies don't get it. They tried a commerical whip or something and were unsatisfied. Luckily I was exposed to it by someone who used a Steinel heatgun and a bong. That's what I use to this day. It is unsurpassed for flexability and great hits, of whatever strength you want. I have never found a vaporizer that works as well, and have been using the same Steinel for all of this time with no problems. Of course it isn't exactly portable, but I still drag it along to coffee shops and use it there. I am just spoiled, I don't even like to use a vaporizer that doesn't give me a shotgun like my bong with the Steinel. Of course you have to have the right size bowl that the heat gun fits right into, really thick glass helps too. A local glass blower hooked me up for five dollars for a really thick long steamed bowl that the head of my gun fits right into. So I guess I spent a total of $105 because I use an empty Acai juice bottle that I drilled a hole in for the bong, it is chemical grade plastic like in labware, The vapor is cool or freezing if I keep it in the freezer on a slant to keep it from freezing shut. I would probably only eat herb if I had to go back to smoke.

If only we had had these things at Woodstock. I guess that a safe heatgun didn't really exist back then.

JacFlasche,

JacFlasche

A friend I haven't seen in years was in town last week. He came over with another guy who is a MMJ patient. These guys are both my age (40-50) and both combust. My friend's only experience with vapor was at a show when a guy let him hit his MFLB. So, of course his experience was less than stellar. He said he was hitting it like a pipe and was getting nothing. the other guy actually owns an Iolite or something and never uses it.

So, I bring them down for a tour of the facility and to try my EQ. I loaded it up with SLH and showed them how to hit it through glass. My friend liked it and got blasted. The other guy thought it was combusting because he "saw smoke" on exhale and never saw anything with his Iolite. He then asked if he could combust the next hits. Oh well, I don't think there is much hope turning him!.

>When I read this I felt for you because I knew that you had just let this guy spoil the taste of your rig until you cleaned it again. That says it all right there. I can drink my bong water and it tastes good, refreshing, like pure water with a hint of mountain air in it. But one toke through there that has been oxidized, and the water tastes like crap.

mod note: If you're going to quote posts, learn how to do it properly. Quote tags fixed.

JacFlasche,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I've always avoided doob smoking with herb as it always killed my bronch's.

Being a hash smoker (preferred), I do enjoy imports in doobs, but concentrates on a skillet, and kief in a bubbler. But to enjoy the herb, I'm really liking my Solo ;)

And yes.... I'm an 'old fart', lol.

smokum,
Funny it wasnt my health that got me smokin other ways it was my in ability to get a really good work out and not feel like i was trying to breath with syrup coated lungs that did it. other wise i would never have tried anything else.

badbadbiker,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I have been smoking for years now. I have tried the volcano and ended up selling it after a few months. I just did not like how long it took. I also tried a heat gun with my water pipe for some time. It was clumsy though. I like loading a bowl in a water pipe and just one hitting it. It is fast and I get high. I often find I feel like I am missing something from the high when I vaporize. I ended up not trying it again for years.

I bought an IOlite, Magic Flight Box, and Exteme Q. None of them have stuck with me. I hated the IOLite. I did not feel like I was getting high. The Magic Flight Box was just okay. More trouble then it is worth to deal with the batteries. I am a photographer I deal with batteries enough already. The Extreme Q is okay as well. I just feel like I have to run 2-3 grams through it to feel high.

I just got the Plenty tonight. I was impressed with it so far. After my first session though I wanted to smoke so I ended up loading a bowl in my water pipe. I want to make an adapter that goes to my water pipe. I just prefer the water pipe feeling over a whip or bag. I don't smoke joints, blunts, pipes, blubbers or any of that. I usually just stick to water pipes. I am hoping an adapter that fits my water pipe will help me want to vape more.

On some level I just feel like giving up on vaping. I have tried so many different models. With good medical grade herb over the years. I think I just prefer the chemicals you get from smoking over vaporization.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Yea when I was using the volcano. I went about 4 months only vaping. One day I picked up a water pipe and was like "I miss this." I never went back full time to vaporizing. I actually went several years without trying to vaporize again. My main excuse was how long the sessions were on the volcano and other devices in general. I could load a bowl in 1 minute or I could do a volcano session in 10-15 minutes. Now the technology has gotten better and faster. I am pleased with how quickly my Plenty warms up. I think I will have one less excuse to not vaporize.

Slightly Medicated,

lwien

Yeah, I know it's a goal, but still, there are those that just like smoke better than vapor. It just works better for them. I don't think anyone here would say that you didn't give vapor a fair chance. :)

But hey, it's worth a revisit now and again.

lwien,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am young enough (27 years old) that I do worry about the long term exposure of smoke my lungs are bound to take from years of usage in the future. I have been smoking daily throughout the day for over 7 years. I don't plan on stopping my mmj use anytime soon. It really helps me with my back pain and OCD.

Honestly, it makes me a bit sad I don't like it more. The advantages of vaporizing over smoking are numerous. The conservation, health, and all of that are very appealing to me.

I was just impressed with the session I just had with the Plenty. I held it to the down stem for my water pipe. So I managed to use the water pipe. I found that satisfying. The high I have now is not bad for how much I used.

I am also thinking about getting the Arizer Solo. The Cloud looks interesting as well. I looked at the thermovape but something about it did not turn me on. Maybe it is the lack of temp control.

Slightly Medicated,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Funny it wasnt my health that got me smokin other ways it was my in ability to get a really good work out and not feel like i was trying to breath with syrup coated lungs that did it. other wise i would never have tried anything else.

I hear you. My lungs would give out on me before anything else when I smoked heavily. Since switching to vapor my lung function feels the best it's been since I was young teen.

One of my older friends says "vaporizers are for young lungs." because he always gets monster rips from my LSV. He finds the hits too intense and ends up coughing up a lung. He also says that vapor isn't as satisfying. This is funny to me because smoke is no longer satisfying to me at all. The last time I combusted I didn't even get high.

tranceporter,

dannkk

I'm just around 30. Have a friend that likes to throw around money and one day he's all, "why don't we go get a vaporizer?" This was like 2-3 years ago. Went to the shop and he got an EQ. He never really figured out how to use the thing. I'd try to mess with it when I was over by his place and he'd just throw a g in there and turn it up to 250 or grab the bong and smoke. Few months after he bought it, he offered it to me for a $150 bucks. I told him $100, and he called me back a couple weeks later and took it.

So, I kinda just fell into vaping. Was interested, but never could have justified the money to buy a decent vape at the time. I think the trouble most people my age or older have with vaping is the entry cost, and the learning curve. Took me over a month using the thing to learn the right temps and packing methods and everything.

I've never had any complaints from young or old people though, when they hit my setup. Just need to show them what a proper setup is like and instruct them on how to use it(or just bust out the bong setup), and at most, they'll be indifferent to vaping. Haven't brought my setup out in a while, but I'm probably going to next time I go by this one dudes house. Talked about trying to vape but just burning the weed...but he's the type. Pretty sure I can swing him over if he's shown a proper setup.

Top Bottom