Longtime older smokers not fond of vapor?

nucleo

I have been smoking for years now. I have tried the volcano and ended up selling it after a few months. I just did not like how long it took. I also tried a heat gun with my water pipe for some time. It was clumsy though. I like loading a bowl in a water pipe and just one hitting it. It is fast and I get high. I often find I feel like I am missing something from the high when I vaporize. I ended up not trying it again for years.

I bought an IOlite, Magic Flight Box, and Exteme Q. None of them have stuck with me. I hated the IOLite. I did not feel like I was getting high. The Magic Flight Box was just okay. More trouble then it is worth to deal with the batteries. I am a photographer I deal with batteries enough already. The Extreme Q is okay as well. I just feel like I have to run 2-3 grams through it to feel high.

I just got the Plenty tonight. I was impressed with it so far. After my first session though I wanted to smoke so I ended up loading a bowl in my water pipe. I want to make an adapter that goes to my water pipe. I just prefer the water pipe feeling over a whip or bag. I don't smoke joints, blunts, pipes, blubbers or any of that. I usually just stick to water pipes. I am hoping an adapter that fits my water pipe will help me want to vape more.

On some level I just feel like giving up on vaping. I have tried so many different models. With good medical grade herb over the years. I think I just prefer the chemicals you get from smoking over vaporization.

Had volcano sitting around, but wasn't until after 5 years later i started using it. In fact when people smoke in the street i actually hold my breath before i enter the cloud of smoke and continue breathing when i'm out of range. I can't stand people that smoke, any kind of smoke, it feels like i can't breathe.
Kinda weird huh? And i was the kind that loved smoking one after another.

When your lungs clear up from all the smoke, which took me about a year, you will realise more vapor can enter your lungs and you will get higher with less.

nucleo,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Had volcano sitting around, but wasn't until after 5 years later i started using it. In fact when people smoke in the street i actually hold my breath before i enter the cloud of smoke and continue breathing when i'm out of range. I can't stand people that smoke, any kind of smoke, it feels like i can't breathe.
Kinda weird huh? And i was the kind that loved smoking one after another.

When your lungs clear up from all the smoke, which took me about a year, you will realise more vapor can enter your lungs and you will get higher with less.

My thoughts exactly, i used to be a smoker, both tobacco and joints, and now the smoke is so unconfortable to me that i realize sometimes i am holding my breath when that puff goes through me and the smell is really bad.

About the OP, i think it has to do with health concerns and health problems. Most people who switched to vapor, do it first because of their health and second, because it tastes better and usually are starting to feel the problems related to smoking and want to make a change about it.

The people who don't make the switch or do it partially, don't have the health problems in general, either because they just smoke ocasionally or because they don't smoke long enough to have them. This applies to young people or old people. And usually younger people have the invincibility syondrome, and don't realize the problems usually start because of earlier habits, whether it is smoking, drinking, or eating junk food.

vorrange,
Reactions: sessnet

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
I turned many people on to vaping,,,via my EQ. All said they have never been so hi. dan,,,you should have watched some 'youtube' videos. You could have learned how to use your 'Q' in about 30 minutes.

Jeppy,

nucleo

My thoughts exactly, i used to be a smoker, both tobacco and joints, and now the smoke is so unconfortable to me that i realize sometimes i am holding my breath when that puff goes through me and the smell is really bad.

About the OP, i think it has to do with health concerns and health problems. Most people who switched to vapor, do it first because of their health and second, because it tastes better and usually are starting to feel the problems related to smoking and want to make a change about it.

The people who don't make the switch or do it partially, don't have the health problems in general, either because they just smoke ocasionally or because they don't smoke long enough to have them. This applies to young people or old people. And usually younger people have the invincibility syondrome, and don't realize the problems usually start because of earlier habits, whether it is smoking, drinking, or eating junk food.

Although i just typed out almost a whole page, i won't promote my personnel life on here but i will say this... Switching to vape, and staying under 185 has never given me any of the side effects i would get when vaping above 185 (clouded vision, spaced out with no thoughts), and additionally any physical dependance and cardiac problems after long term use when mixed with tobacco.

nucleo,

dannkk

Videos are about as good as the instruction book. Almost all of them are made by people using their first vape, and not using it well. Most of them I've seen, are about how great vaping is...not how to effectively use the vape they're talking about. On top of that...I was the kid that had to touch the fire to believe my parents when they said it was hot.

dannkk,

crawdad

floatin
i only know of one person personally who prefers the vapor such as myself, the rest i know have been toking since the 60's and mostly roll it. i came into the scene on a vapor trail, so when i vapor hit i always have my earliest toking memories right there with that sweet tasting vapor...id imagine the same is true for those who prefer to roll/combust. not to mention the type of high one might be used to. when i ask about it, they usually just say something along the lines of "its how i roll", nuff said.

you definitely need to use a good vapor device (and use it properly) and try it for at least a week or so before coming to any conclusion, that's my take on it at least. i feel l learned quick with my glass vg but it still took me just over a year to get the consistent hitting style i have now, im dialed in.

crawdad,
I heard once that the plant matter gives a certain dimension to the high that one can get used to out of habit when they are combusting... so when they try vaping they feel like something is missing and go back to it.

Vaping for me was totally a stepping-out-of-the-dark-ages moment. "How did we not know this sooner?". Granted, some of the first experiences [such as conduction vaping giving a horrible taste] made it totally unappealing in those times...
I kind of feel that way, by the way i'm in my mid 20's, i'm used to combusting and trying to switch over to vaping is very difficult. The Cloud will help that though... :)

VapeXhaleCloudIsLEGENDARY,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
i got my neighbor into vaping, he's prolly 70ish or so, i never asked. i brought my EQ over to his place one time and that was it. he ended up buying my EQ that night. he still combust once in awhile but vapes for the most part. he loves it when i come over with new toys, i let him try my cloud out once too, but prolly my last time doing that. his hand are so shaky every time he would hit it my heart would skip a beat. hahahaha

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I've been using MJ for almost 12 years and vaporizing solely the past year. The first time I hit a vaporizer I knew from that moment that smoking is truly inferior in almost every aspect. It literally took that one hit off my No2 to convert me. With friends and family there seems to be mixed opinions on vaporizing. The younger crowd seem to love them (although I'm the only person I know who doesn't combust at all) and nearly all of the more mature smokers just don't seem to like it. I know it's kind of hard to break tradition and everything isn't for everyone but I really thought more people would have a life changing experience as I did.

Thoughts?

I can't really add anything, other than my experience is EXACT to the detail, the same as yours. Younger crowd. My bud tender is a friend, so I hang at his place sometimes. I'm in my 40s... so its an odd scene. Cool bunch of of guys though and ALL of them, I've introduced to vapor, loved it. My own first experience was the same as yours. I wondered, what the Hell I had been wasting weed for, all those years. My wife and father-in-law just got their cards. Neither of them, liked it and think it is weird.

One of the reasons, I pushed at least giving MMJ a try, for both of them... was the healthier aspects of vaporization, as just another argument for, over pharmaceuticals. No difference. Had to hand over, one of my glass pieces and set it up, for a smoker. Yuck. She of course, took the nicer (zero drag) of the beakers I had. Lost my 3 arm perc to. It was a cheapo, that I kept because it fires, so beautifully.

BigDaddyVapor,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
i got my neighbor into vaping, he's prolly 70ish or so, i never asked. i brought my EQ over to his place one time and that was it. he ended up buying my EQ that night. he still combust once in awhile but vapes for the most part. he loves it when i come over with new toys, i let him try my cloud out once too, but prolly my last time doing that. his hand are so shaky every time he would hit it my heart would skip a beat. hahahaha
Right on boobs! Good man. :nod:

Jeppy,

beach bum

Ok...possible 'conversion' in process and wanted to share. We had friends over yesterday (60-ish, groovy/hippie, married couple) and showed them how to use a vaporizer. They tried it and just sat there and said "oh wow!". They enjoyed it so much, we sent 'em home with one of our older models that doesn't get much use here anymore. I'll probably seem them or run into them in a couple of weeks - can't wait to see how they are doing with it! :)

I am on a shitty chemotherapy schedule that is really intense. I got diagnosed in the middle of my spring semester as a junior only 50 credits shy of the 150 credits I needed to finish up my Acct/Phil degree with the opportunity to take the CPA exam. Well my housemate and I had a large communal bong that we would load with snappers, which are like large single loads that the one person would finish in one large rip. I can't smoke anymore because its too risky health wise because my immune system is in the trash from my chemo. I love vapor, it gets me my medicine really fast and was super easy to get used to instead of smoking. However, I really want to rip that communal bong again, but I'm not sure if its just a nostalgia for the good ol days, or because I like taking in large lungfuls of smoke that is not too great for my body.

Icculus Forbin,

roadking

FOG here. Started combusting in summer of '69. Began investigating the vape scene a year ago as I became more conscious of the effects that combustion had on how I felt, especially in my lungs. Actually used flower combustion to detox from cigs in '78. Been 100% vapor since last Thanksgiving. Still learning the nuances with pen technologies and different concentrates, however I don't see me ever going back to burning.

roadking,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Update: My wife and father-in-law still only combust. I've taken to combusting occasionally and honestly, I kind of enjoy it. Don't know why. I still don't like the taste. I think its more, I like the act. You know, kind of like how mammals are comforted suckling on a teat and even mimic it, in sleep (or continue sucking their thumbs). I like that sensation of ripping on a bong load, it takes me back to 1984. I might hit a joint, if it were offered. Though, my desire to smoke a pipe, is nil.

I can see myself going back to vapor only, as the novelty wears off. Plus, now I'm getting into the nicer glass pieces, I really like the whole ritual of vapor. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I like working with the fittings making sure everything's lined up. I like the sound of the glass, the bubbles and listening to the *tink* of tiny bubbles on thick glass. I like the wisp of vapor, rather than the rushing thunderhead of smoke.

I love my MFLB and will always own it and it will get regular use (its too convenient and efficient, not to). However, as my Glass Bug grows, so does my desire for more vaporizers... not combustion devices. Feels like an elite club and I find myself looking down on smokers, at times. :lol:

I am on a shitty chemotherapy schedule that is really intense. I got diagnosed in the middle of my spring semester as a junior only 50 credits shy of the 150 credits I needed to finish up my Acct/Phil degree with the opportunity to take the CPA exam. Well my housemate and I had a large communal bong that we would load with snappers, which are like large single loads that the one person would finish in one large rip. I can't smoke anymore because its too risky health wise because my immune system is in the trash from my chemo. I love vapor, it gets me my medicine really fast and was super easy to get used to instead of smoking. However, I really want to rip that communal bong again, but I'm not sure if its just a nostalgia for the good ol days, or because I like taking in large lungfuls of smoke that is not too great for my body.

I think its probably the nostalgia. At least it is, in my case.

Hope your chemo is going better. My mom's in remission right now, she handled it OK... I wish she would get a MMJ card (we've talked about it). However, because of a legal case she's involved in... she has to submit to regular testing (stupid, for a civil case, imo... f'ing insurance companies). Once that's cleared up... I'm gonna work hard on her. I think MMJ will bring a LOT of her symptoms, cancer and other issues.

You're in many prayers and good karma.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
However, as my Glass Bug grows, so does my desire for more vaporizers... not combustion devices. Feels like an elite club and I find myself looking down on smokers, at times. :lol:

Hahaha, occasionally I'll think about all the herb I smoked in the past and think about how dumb I was not to use a vaporizer! I've used an Extreme Q back when it was still called the V-Tower Extreme and loved it but I saw it more as a novelty. But I was younger back then, and less educated.

That, and my income wasn't what it is today, either. I'm making more money now, which translates to some of the finer things being easier to get. Better flower, different methods of consumption, different reasons for using it... although now that I think about it, I might have been subconsciously self-medicating for the pain too.

Quetzalcoatl,

BalzaSteel

I know one of the things that kept me away from vaping was that when I started smoking getting caught with paraphernalia was generally grounds for the fuzz to be really annoying, harrasment, maybe an asskicking, and could even land one in court, even to this day in the privacy of my own home I look around before I hit anything I can't hide in one hand.

not surprisingly it was the MFLB that got me interested in vaping, I may smoke the occaisional joint with a friend from now on, but I just may buy the few friends I like to toke with MFLBs of thier own :)

BalzOut

SalamiCity

A lot of older folk don't really like to change their ways, but I've known some 60+ year old dudes who have switched.

SalamiCity,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am doing better with the switch. I have found some devices that fit my ritual so it seems to be working. The tech sure seems to have come a long way in the last few years.

Slightly Medicated,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Alot of the whole MJ experience seems to be the ritual for alot of people. For me, the ritual was never that important, I just loved being high. I do miss rolling blunts from time to time but i'm a changed man.

tranceporter,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I am very much into the ritual. I have an absolute fascination with glass, especially scientific stuff. It was born, at an early age, when my dad was studying for his PhD in Biochemistry. He used to take me to the campus all the time. I spent my fair share of time, under a laminar flow hood. One time for Show and Tell, I brought in two beakers and a pipette. Yet, my wife can't understand my "hobby", as she calls it. Yeah, its a hobby that has a very natural and logical origin. They are good memories.

I love the different types of diffusion and looking for that perfect uniformity in bubbles (it doesn't exist, but its nice to upgrade and try new things). Hell, if I could get away with it... I'd have a big China cabinet, just display glass pieces in. But, I still enjoy using them, over looking at them... and I take my sweet ass time, when I do. :D

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: crawdad

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
I've been smoking weed for 46 years. I went to A'dam in 2002, used my first Volcano, came home and bought one 3 days later. I bought a Vapir the day after i came back from A'dam but hated it lol. I was trying to save money. I've since invested in a few portables like the MFLB and an Iolite. I bought a DaVinci last week and love that one.
I vape 99% of the time now, smoking weed is so bad for your lungs.

Hai_Rypo_T'head

Why smoke and die, when you can vape and fly?
Some older folks are averse to what they perceive to be excessive paraphernalia - they had their fun with bongs and such when they were younger but now just prefer joints or a one hitter. Vaporizers are to them excessive paraphernalia. I remember a few years ago I turned an old friend of mine onto vaping offering him a hit from my SSV. His words - "Yeah, I get it, it's floaty. It's OK. A little too ritual for me."

I'm a grand-dad, keeping fit and active, hoping to reach 100 (and retain my faculties). That's why I started vaping and quit smoking 2 years ago. I haven't felt better since before I started smoking over 40 years ago!

BTW, I added your wonderful Armstrong quote to my 'quotations' collection. One good turn deserves another (albeit pre-inclusive language era):

The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community against his will, is to prevent harm to others . . . Over himself, his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign. John Stuart Mill

:tup:

Hai_Rypo_T'head,
Reactions: TriiKLe
I've been trying to convert folks for years.

I agree that vaporizing can be cost prohibitive for some, which is likely the main barrier to switching. Even a VG or an MFLB is going to cost in the range of $40-120. Average smoker owns a decent glass piece that cost $20, a metal piece that cost $5-10 or uses $1-2/pack of papers. Then again, I break glass pieces frequently, and often lose my papers. I looked to vaping to save me money in the long run. Eventually I hope I'l hit the break even point. If I could stop buying more devices, I might even see it in my lifetime! In terms of conservation of my supply and being able to reuse ABV though, vaping has been very cost effective for me.

The other main barrier I see, is like others have said, additional paraphernalia. Now that I own a house, it's less of a concern for me.

kingofnull,
Top Bottom