Log Vape roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwien

MattyGTwenty3 said:
Edit: I do catch your meaning completely though, a beautifully crafted piece of wood being considered a log is unflattering and could almost sound disrespectful to the crafter.

Very well put and is exactly why that term doesn't quite site so well with me so I won't use it knowing full well that the majority here will. No big deal.

Like I said earlier though, I don't believe that the OCD should be lumped into the "log" vape category. It could be included in the term "direct draw" because that term covers a much wider area, but the term "log" narrows that area by quite a bit, and there are enough differences between it and the other "log" vapes on the market to warrant it not being lumped in there.

On a side note, I really do wish Wes and the OCD well, but I don't think it's ready for prime-time yet. Maybe one day, but not quite yet. All vape manufactures, worth their weight, SHOULD continually desire to improve their product and make running changes as they do so. Both Rick and Tom have done this, and I have no doubt they will continue to do so, but these are improvements on an already proven and successful design. OCD has not reached that point yet, but if they do, I still don't see it being included in this narrow description of what a "log" vape is. It really is a different animal. A hybrid of sorts.

lwien,

Gunky

I don't find "log" unflattering at all (likewise whip vapes are described by metaphorical nomenclature suggesting physical attributes; just a convenient term and we don't need to go looking for S&M connotations). It indicates that the thing is made of wood and cylindrical. You could say "you know, one of those cylindrical wooden vaporizers" but it's easier to say "log vape". For certain worshipers, "log" is not holy enough. :D

Gunky,

lwien

Gunky said:
For certain worshipers, "log" is not holy enough. :D

Now that was a bit condescending ........(As I make my way to my PD shrine. Picture a newly buttered PD glowing with reflected candlelight and flanked by pictures of Tom and Pammy who's eyes kinda follow you around where ever you go :luv: )

lwien,

Gunky

lwien said:
Gunky said:

Now that was a bit condescending ........(As I make my way to my PD shrine. Picture a newly buttered PD glowing with reflected candlelight and flanked by pictures of Tom and Pammy who's eyes kinda follow you around where ever you go :luv: )

ROFL!

Gunky,

MG23

Relaxin'
lwien said:
MattyGTwenty3 said:
Edit: I do catch your meaning completely though, a beautifully crafted piece of wood being considered a log is unflattering and could almost sound disrespectful to the crafter.

Very well put and is exactly why that term doesn't quite site so well with me so I won't use it knowing full well that the majority here will. No big deal.

Like I said earlier though, I don't believe that the OCD should be lumped into the "log" vape category. It could be included in the term "direct draw" because that term covers a much wider area, but the term "log" narrows that area by quite a bit, and there are enough differences between it and the other "log" vapes on the market to warrant it not being lumped in there.

On a side note, I really do wish Wes and the OCD well, but I don't think it's ready for prime-time yet. Maybe one day, but not quite yet. All vape manufactures, worth their weight, SHOULD continually desire to improve their product and make running changes as they do so. Both Rick and Tom have done this, and I have no doubt they will continue to do so, but these are improvements on an already proven and successful design. OCD has not reached that point yet, but if they do, I still don't see it being included in this narrow description of what a "log" vape is. It really is a different animal. A hybrid of sorts.

I wouldn't consider the OCD a log vape either, I was never on that side of the debate. The mere fact that it is wood and somewhat cylindrical doesn't put it into the same category as the 3 log vapes. I think the majority would agree that it isn't, in fact.

That being said, if a new vape came out that looked exactly like the current 3 log vapes but with a temperature dial, I -would- consider that a log vape.

MG23,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
And I thought that my English 258 (intro to Shakespeare) class that I took last semester would NEVER pay off...

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

- William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, 2.2

But really...this whole 'log vape thing', I think its just kinda the easiest, most convenient way to quickly distinguish a group of vapes. Just like bag vapes or whip vapes, digital or analog or lighter based...its just a way to separate em. Might not be the most accurate or specific way to group them, but it gives people a general sense of understanding. To really define the vapes in the 'log vape' category, you'd really have to describe the individual characteristics of each one. They are all different in several ways and in my opinion should not really even all be lumped together at all in the first place. But as I stated, it is just a convenient and easy way to describe a group of vapes that work in a similar manner.

The OCD is not a log vape in my opinion though, I will agree there. It varies to much from the original Eterra and its off shoots (PD, WDZ, MZ, AZ)

finchrock24,

djonkoman

about log being unflattering, what about if you lookat it in this angle:
a beautiful piece of nature, the log, is worked to express the most of it's natural beauty, without the natural beauty of the log the endproduct wouldn't be nearly as beautifull, the polishing etc is just ment to bring out this beauty

djonkoman,

Purple-Days

'Don't like' is probably to strong for how I feel about the name that has stuck to this particular style product.

I am a skilled carpenter and have built lots (and lots) of houses. . . Not one of them was built with logs. I have built many custom doors, none of them with logs. I have made delicate jewelery boxes, none made from logs.

I understand the why the term is easy to use and pretty near describes what you are holding.

But, (Rick, Todd and) I use Lumber. I know it's a fine distinction :rolleyes: ... Furniture grade stuff from our suppliers. I'm sure the others use quality woods too. None of us gather it from the wood pile (correct me if I'm wrong). Yes, it's a slight distinction, but you may understand my slight wince at the term 'log' which designates 'timber'.

But, 'Log Vape' it is ;) ... Seems this thread confirms, the Purple-Days Diffuser, The Myrtlezap and the Woodeez are the only currently represented 'log vapes' on FC. 12 Volts (AC or DC), 25j20RE resistor, metal heat exchanger, small metal bowl. You can make them square, or round, or out of another substance, but what is at the heart of the system, is what counts. Not the shape or size or material of a products outer shell... :2c:

Purple-Days,

mrfloopa

Vappy
So... which of the three do you find most efficient, Gunky? Are the bowls all roughly the same size? I could only find purple days' .025g measure.

mrfloopa,

Brother Brigham

King, Priest and Ruler over Israel on Earth
For the record, IO own a walnut PD, my brother bought a Woodeeze. I see much more craftsmanship and quality of material in the PD. Also, I couldn't stand the smell of woodeeze wax compared to buzz butter. I have my PD, and I am biased I suppose, but the difference in craftsmanship was more than I expected. :2c:

Brother Brigham,

lwien

Brother Brigham said:
For the record, IO own a walnut PD, my brother bought a Woodeeze. I see much more craftsmanship and quality of material in the PD. Also, I couldn't stand the smell of woodeeze wax compared to buzz butter. I have my PD, and I am biased I suppose, but the difference in craftsmanship was more than I expected. :2c:

Yeah, I've been saying this for long time.

Only own the PD, but looking at the pics of the Woodeez ever since they first came to market, I concur that the craftsmanship just doesn't seem to compare.

lwien,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Hey Gunky, I noticed you have a Rock Zap as well now. I'd really like to see that one added to the comparison in the opening post if you have the time to do so.

OhTheAgony,

Nycdeisel

lwien said:
Gunky said:

:lol:

I would also be curious as to how the Rockzap measures up in your eyes.

Nycdeisel,

mrfloopa

Vappy
I'm really interested in the RockZap reviews, too. From what I could tell, the basic difference is just temperature? It runs hotter? I haven't scoured the thread following the development, but I sure am curious about them and how they stack up to the vanilla log vapes.

mrfloopa,

Nycdeisel

Actually they retain the heat better, and they are not wood insulated, its insulated by cement in the middle and ceramic on the top. thus the wood inside will not char and it wont have the rattling issues that are common in wood insulated log vapes.

same recent posts explaining this in the thread

Its able to get more out of one stem load, compared to my PD and other zaps the herb can get a good bit darker and hotter as well from observing the taste. just my :2c:
:peace:

Nycdeisel,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
To clarify a little more, the RZ has cement as it's insulator. There are only a couple of these in existence and they are no longer for sale. The CRZ, is the current Zap; insulated with a ceramic blanket and a ceramic ring at the top. Both of these units run hotter than the old school MZ's, however, the CRZ runs hottest. The premise of the insulation is to insulate the heatport, keeping the heat consistent. In the other log vapes, the wood is the insulator. The CRZ's insulation has the additional bonus of protecting the wood so that there will be no more rattle issue.

momofthegoons,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
The Toasty Top is designed around the wood being a conductor of heat energy rather than an insulator. The small mass and shape have a lot to do with why it gets so hot inside. I am not convinced that charring causes rattles. Charring only reduces the ability to conduct heat from the heat sink. I have had a Toasty Top running almost continuously for nearly a year and have not noticed any rattles or looseness. The wood is dark near the heat sink but still very solid and secure. No reason to believe it won't stay tight for many years to come. The 1" stainless steel sleeve is driven into the wood as the fit is so tight. The heat sink is pressed into the 1" ss sleeve. This allows it to stay in without a clip.

Alan,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
My PD had been on 24/7 for about 6 months and never rattled.....until last night. I had to unplug it for an hour or so and I noticed a rattle when I went to plug it back in. It's been about 24 hours now and the rattle is completely gone. What does this tell us?

Stu,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Stu said:
My PD had been on 24/7 for about 6 months and never rattled.....until last night. I had to unplug it for an hour or so and I noticed a rattle when I went to plug it back in. It's been about 24 hours now and the rattle is completely gone. What does this tell us?

I left my first Toasty Top unplugged last week when I drove to CA. The heat sink was slightly loose when I returned to plug it back in. It tightened back up when it was up to operating temp for a few hours. I even had some TT's that had never been heated up and the heat sinks were loose when it was really humid this summer. The wood was turned during the winter when it was very dry.
Most woods really want to hold water and try to get it whenever possible. If the wood is cold and there is some humidity in the air, it will migrate to the wood and cause it to expand. This will cause the heat sink to become loose. Heating the wood will drive off the moisture and shrink it back down until the heat sink is tight again. Leaving them plugging in 24/7 will ensure a tight fit especially in very humid conditions.
I can't speak specifically for the PD, but the wood appears to be behaving as it does with the TT when cold. Just the nature of wood for this type of installation.

Alan,

Gunky

OK, I will try to put up my observations on the CRZ (RZ2) soon. For now let me just say they are very nice. People are raving about the CRZs now and they do have some terrific features (I'm planning on getting another myself); in my experience the other log vapes are also pretty wonderful. You can get similar temps to the CRZ with any of the first gen of log vapes with the judicious use of a coozie or sock blanket.

Gunky,

Nycdeisel

Thats what I meant, it rattles when it gets cold. Plug it back in and by the time its warmed up again the rattling is gone.

Nycdeisel,

lwien

Man, I wouldn't want my PD any hotter. As it is, the ABV comes out a very, very dark chocolate brown...........just a shade or two below black. Guess it may be because mine is made from CherryWood. The Ash's and the Myrtles run cooler.

lwien,

Rick

Zapman
Wow! I just read only this page on this topic. Conversations in February of this year regarding log vapes are now totally outdated.
We make CRZs out of scrap wood.
We make CRZs out of limbs(small logs).
CRZs are not dependent on wood density or wood dimensions.
CRZs run hotter than MANY AZs and MZs because those MZs and AZs were in slightly denser wood than others but enough to make them run closer to mid range than upper range vapor producers.
CRZs run hotter but not too hot. We have taken the original Eterra design as it related to heat produced with 12 volts, less than one amp in a certain size tube with a basic mass and made it better by dialing the wood OUT of the equation. We have isolated that original calculation by insulating it with insulation, not wood.
Alan, call it what you will(conductor of heat) but the bottom line is the same. Forget the charring and rattle issue for now. Maybe you have that mostly resolved and that is a good thing. But you still can only use certain density woods with a specific amount of wood mass for the TT to operate in the near perfect range it does. That's cool and works.
The CRZ does what it does because the heat generating SS mass in the middle of the wood is isolated to a great degree from the wood.
Did we see that big log, Stumpy? And Vitos little Mabel? Only one way to do that. The thing is, the wood is way more in the equation now because we are not restricted by what wood we can use and how we can use it.

Rick,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom