Log Vape roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunky

Log vape roundup:

A few months back I got a cherry PD. I use it a lot and was thinking of getting a backup for it and also wanted to send one to a friend as a gift. Woodeez happened to have a nice special on at the time so I picked up walnut Woodeez for me and my friend. Recently reading through the Aromazap thread I noticed there were some interesting aspects to the Zaps and the gearhead in me won out: I decided to complete my collection of all three (that I know of, anyway) log vapes descended from the ETerra.

Similarities:

-All three use the same ceramic resistor
-All three ship with the identical 12-volt Jameco adapter
-All three offer a similar if not identical copper oil diffusion cup (if you don't take the fancy diffuser on the Zap)
-all three include a small tin of beeswax-based polish

Accessories (accessories vary depending on the package you buy;
these are some standard included accessories):

PD: 3 vapor tubes, car cable, 2 muslin bags, tube cleaning bottle
WDZ: 3 vapor tubes
Zap: 2 (or 3) vapor tubes, car cable, glass tooty, aroma flower diffuser

Vapor tubes:

These are all pretty similar. The PD and WDZ have stainless inserts in plastic tubes. The Zaps use plastic tube with brass insert. The plastic used for the PD stems is white, partially transparent, and has a slightly softer feel to it. The WDZ and Zaps use opaque types of plastic which have a harder feel and click when striking a hard surface. The WDZ stem looks white while the Zap has an attractive cream to match the brass tip. WDZ tubes are about an eighth of an inch longer than PD, and the Zap tubes are around a half inch shorter than WDZ. The diameter of the mouthpiece is pretty close and I noticed I could get a pretty good seal if I slip the standard whip tubing from an SSV over the end of all three vapor tubes. WDZ and PD tubes are interchangeable but the stainless tips are too big to fit in Zaps. Zap tubes and tooties (and Ed's T&T wood Zap tubes) fit in any of the three brands.

Heat exchange port:

The PD and WDZ have a similar, loose-fitting stainless tube at the top of the unit into which the vapor tube tips are inserted. There is considerable room to wiggle and angle the tube while inserted. The Zaps, on the other hand, are made such that the brass tip on the vapor tubes fits quite tightly into the brass heat exchange tube at the top of the unit. The vapor tube, once inserted, does not have much play. The connection creates a tighter seal on the Zaps, yielding a different feel both to handling (ie inserting and removing vapor tubes) and to the quality of the draw. The tighter fit means less air
comes around the side of the tube and more goes through the heat exchanger. It may just be the units I have, but it seems to me that the Zap has slightly less restricted air flow, possibly because it has more air input holes - 6 compared to 2 on PD
and WDZ. To me there is a slightly more efficient feel in the draw through the Zap, as though you have to do less sucking to get things happening. The brass tubing used in the Zap vapor tubes and heat port is thinner and more flexible than the stainless of the PD and WDZ. Because of that and the tighter fit, there is some possibility the Zap could be damaged by not pulling the tube straight out, or accidentally pushing it the wrong way. With reasonable care this is not a concern. One other feature found only in the Zaps: a small screen inside the heat exchange tube to prevent herb from falling into the heater. This seems to work ok. Dumping out anything that spills into the heat exchanger with PD and WDZ works fine too.

Metal Core:

The Zaps use a brass core while PD and Woodeez use stainless steel. Weights are pretty similar on all three units and the different metals do not appear to affect functionality.

Overall:

The three brands are putting out pretty similar units. Functionally, they seem about the same to me. Customer service is top notch from all three brands. The muslin bags and tube cleaning bottle included with the PD are noteworthy accessories and add to elegance of use for any of the units. The glass tooty (get it with carb!) supplied by AromaZap gets my vote for top log vape accessory, and works with any of the three units.

All of these log vapes are made of wood, an organic material. Each species has differnt heat insulating characteristics and each piece within a given species is unique. So across the board, operating temps will vary depending on species and particular unit. They all seem to have a break-in period during which the temperature goes up a bit.

edit: mentioned screen in heat exchanger
edit: changed description of all vapor tubes to plastic for clarity as pointed out by Tom at PD
edit: forgot to mention that Zaps have a (free) option to include an LED lamp on the unit. I chose to leave it off - one less thing to break. They do look pretty cuddly though...
edit: added some detail on the vapor tubes

Gunky,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Chunky, Thanks so much for the comparative review of the log vapes. I dont know for sure but I think that this type of review has hasnt been done before, at least to this extent. I think your comparison review will be very helpful to those considering getting a log type vape. I'm an owner of an MZ and it's served me very well now for over 8 months. You might have mentioned that MZ also offers other woods and not just the myrtle wood. You can also purchase just the wood vape unit at a significantly reduced cost without all of the transformer, stems, and aroma flower. This is perfect for those that already have an MZ but just want one or two more but dont need another set of transformers stems or the aroma flower. And yes, there are actually some of us that have as many as three different MZs which just goes to show how well the MZ owners like their vape. I would also add that the log type vapes are extremely efficient, look nice, reliable, built tough, and are simple and uncomplicated to use. For me the greatest attribute is their efficiency. I actually wouldnt mind having all three log vapes for a collection.

Lycanthrope,

lwien

One other thing to add, Gunky, is the warranties:

The Zap----one year
The WDZ---one year
The PD-----three years

With that said, I know that Rick at Zap has stood behind his product even after the warranty period. Don't know about the WDZ, but I still feel that the warranty differences should be mentioned when comparing the three.

lwien,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Good post...now I know what stems fit my WDZ for certain. Thanks a lot!

Side note: I tried to magnatize the SS tip on my WDZ stem but it wouldn't take...I think I recall reading somewhere that stainless steel is magnetic only above like 303 or 404 rating or something. I thought it would be cool if the stem just 'snapped' into place via magnets (I use a lot of small magnets on my RC planes to hold hatches,cock pits, canopies, etc in place during very high G and high speed maneuvers).

finchrock24,

collegerower

This was fun to read, thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I know I love my zap but I do Find myself wondering who the other logs are like. Its fun to hear the differences.

collegerower,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
A very nice, objective review. Thank you Gunky.

I am a little confused, however, by your edit to change the material used for the stems to plastic. My understanding is that the tubes (for the Zap; I can't speak for the others) are made of food grade nylon.

momofthegoons,

Purple-Days

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic
"The real star of the plastics industry in the 1930s was polyamide (PA), far better known by its trade name nylon. Nylon was the first purely synthetic fiber, introduced by DuPont Corporation at the 1939 World's Fair in New York City." edit: quotes added

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon
"Nylon is a thermoplastic "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropylene
Polypropylene (PP), also known as polypropene, is a thermoplastic ..."

Nylon and Polypropylene are both 'thermoplastics' or 'plastics'. :2c:

Both are food grade, both are plastics.

Purple-Days,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Actually, a plastic proprietarily named Bakelite was one of the very first "plastics" developed back circa 1907-1909 considerably pre-dating nylon. Bakelite is a thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin based on phenol/formaldehyde reaction chemistry. Bakelite is still available mostly under the trade name of Garolite. Nylon is however used in conjunction with Bakelite to form a reinforced laminate exhibiting excellent dielectrical properties. Bakelite is also used as stand alone material in many current consumer, industrial and military applications. By the 1930's Bakelite was well on its way to being used to make a wide range of consumer goods oddly enough including billiard balls. I thought I'd add this bit of trivial information concerning plastics development.

Lycanthrope,

thedeserttortoise

Hey Gunky.. superb post. I like probably a lot of others around here only have one particular brand of log vape. And... we all show a bit of favoritism to whatever particular make we have. You, having all three were able to point out a lot of things I didn't know about each.... a big thanks! This should help all newbie's searching for a log (like myself 4 weeks ago, thanks Ed! Just what I needed.. a cool stem to have to match a log to), and make their decision making process a bunch easier.... great job. Tortoise

thedeserttortoise,

Purple-Days

Sorry, Lycanthrope, I missed putting the quotation marks around that bit about, "The real star of the plastics industry in the 1930s was polyamide (PA), far better known by its trade name nylon. Nylon was the first purely synthetic fiber, introduced by DuPont Corporation at the 1939 World's Fair in New York City."

That quote is directly from the Wikipedia Article on Plastics, so you can take it up with them, they are not infallible. They also mention Bakelite in the same article so there is probably a reason Wikipedia says what it says.

BTW, I'm old enough to remember Bakelite being used for everything from Coffee Mugs to Switch Plates. It was a common substance in the '50s and '60s household. A useful insulator too, I believe...

Quatation marks now edited in...

Purple-Days,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I would have found this very useful when I was reading all three threads on each specific log vape :lol: Good to know what parts are interchangeable between the vapes, and that I can someday get one of cleardome's wonderful pieces of art.

aesthyrian,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Hey Wikipedia, sometimes wrong, sometimes right, and sometimes in between. Gotta watch what you read on there.

Lycanthrope,

Purple-Days

Yeah, but totally my fault for not putting the quotes on, (oversight) so it sorta seemed that I was saying that.

Generally though, for technical stuff, Wikipedia is pretty self regulating and usually right about facts. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :peace:

Purple-Days,

the ob

all good in the hood.
aesthyrian said:
I would have found this very useful when I was reading all three threads on each specific log vape :lol: Good to know what parts are interchangeable between the vapes, and that I can someday get one of cleardome's wonderful pieces of art.

I found that cleardomes tubes did not actually fit perfectly into my zap. I think mom said the same thing at some point. It was a little tight. I actually sold mine because it drove me nuts.

sorry back on topic......

nice post. I had always wondered why no one did this.

the ob,

aero18

vaporist
Gunky, you could also comment on the shapes of the two. The MyrtleZap tends to be more slender than the Purple Days, lending the PD the ability to get hotter than the MZ.

A slender body is more ideal for my hands, but that is more subjective.

aero18,

Gunky

Yes the cherry Zap I got is more slender than the cherry PD. It appears to taper from a thicker base to a thinner top, while the PD is more cylindrical. I hesitate to say too much about the shapes because I believe the makers are turning blocks of wood on lathes and that the shapes are in effect hand made and thus unique and faintly inconsistent. I do notice the slimmer cherry zap is hotter on the outside (though not uncomfortably so) than the PD. So far from a functional point of view it is cooler than the PD, but I've only been running it a few days and the PD has been going continuously for months. The Zap is clearly following the same pattern as PD and WDZ, getting hotter as it breaks in. As I did with the WDZ for a few weeks, I am running both the PD and the Zap, and I can observe the developing temp of the Zap pretty well by finishing a load on it and then trying it on the PD. Over a few weeks the WDZ got closer and closer till there was little or no vapor I could extract with the PD from a load already run through the WDZ.

I ordered a package from Rick (AromaZap) called 'best deal going' or something like that and it did not include the diffuser flower. Maybe someone can chime in on how that fits to the heat port and whether it would work on PD or WDZ.

Gunky,

aero18

vaporist
The PD's consistently have more girth to them. It's not just a few out of a batch that are this way.

aero18,

Gunky

aero18 said:
The PD's consistently have more girth to them. It's not just a few out of a batch that are this way.

You may be right about that. And if girth really does reliably increase internal temperature, perhaps the makers could offer a "chubby" version for those who like it hot?

Gunky,

Rick

Zapman
Nice job on the review Gunky.
A slightly smaller diameter log vape made from a hard wood like Cherry, Myrtle and walnut will run slightly warmer than one with more girth in my opinion. Less hard wood around the heater will suck less heat from the heater. Way back when we tried some biggies. It was like putting a heater in a rock.
It is my understanding the PD has slight internal design differences that allow it to run a tad warmer than the AZ/MZ. It is not the larger diameter that allows them to run warmer IMO. The diameter difference between PD and AZ/MZ is probably less than 1/8 inch as we like to turn ours real close to >2 7/16" and < 2 5/8".
It also seems apparent all log vapes run warmer with time, based on numerous customer comments.
The AZ/MZ classic Aroma flower will NOT fit the PD or WDZ.
Stem tips in both the regular vapor stem and the glass Tooty for the AZ/MZ are slightly smaller than the PD and WDZ so will fit all current log vapes. PD and WDZ stems will not fit the AZ/MZ as they are just a hair too big.
We have never had a heatport tube or stem tip reported disfigured or bent in any way because of the close fit of our stems to the heatport tube.
Thanks to all for contributions to this thread.

Rick,

djonkoman

do any of the log vapes ship international?
I know the purple days doesn't, just looked up the aromazap and their website says they don't ship international either, couldn't find anything on the woodeez website
currently I only have a VG but I would like a home-unit somewhere in the future and a log vape really atracts me, but if there aren't any log vapes available internationally I'll have to look for another vape to put on my wishlist

djonkoman,

Gunky

I noticed the wire from the transformer to the PD was beginning to get too bendy near spot where it plugs into the PD. It's still heating OK so I came up with an idea for preventing breakage which I am trying out as we speak: spiral cable wrap. Looks like this:
blackspiralwrap.jpg

I had a piece on my bicycle around part of a speedometer cable which I appropriated for this purpose. It looks like it may work and it is pretty easy to get the spiral wrap end to clip firmly onto the little molded plastic support for the end of the adapter cable.

edit: they appear to have this stuff at most Radio Shack stores. About 8 or 9 inches for the end of the 12 volt wire near the plug seems to work well at preventing sharp bends.

Gunky,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I just used some gaffers tape wrapped around the end but I will most likely be buying Rick's transformer repair kit, and replacing the end before the need to. Even with the tape I'm still too anal about how the cable lays :lol:

aesthyrian,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom