Log Vape roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nycdeisel

Yea thanks, Gunky. I fussed with the plug for a bit, trying electrical tape and such, which eventually made a mess since it got warm around the plug and certain glues softened. I will have to try some of that spiral cable wrap. Does it have adhesive on it?

Great review and comparisons for the logs, too! :)

Nycdeisel,

Gunky

No adhesive, it's just a ribbon of plastic with a strong 'memory' which sort of wraps around a cable. Completely removable. I think I will get the 10 foot length Radio Shack sells for five bucks and use two or three feet for each cord. Will probably get a repair kit or two from Rick.

Gunky,

Gunky

I picked up some spiral cable wrap at Radio Shack. In the kind they have the tube formed by the plastic ribbon is quite a bit larger in diameter than the stuff I got off my bicycle speedometer cable. It works, but not as well as the narrower stuff. I will let you know if I find a source for the narrower type.

Gunky,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
djonkoman said:
do any of the log vapes ship international?
I know the purple days doesn't, just looked up the aromazap and their website says they don't ship international either, couldn't find anything on the woodeez website
currently I only have a VG but I would like a home-unit somewhere in the future and a log vape really atracts me, but if there aren't any log vapes available internationally I'll have to look for another vape to put on my wishlist
I looked in to this a week or so ago; MZ won't ship internationally, Purple-days will only sell a pandora kit internationally and I never got a reply from Woodeez, despite sending a couple of emails.

nuvap,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Hippie Dickie,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
There's a new (prototype) vape on the scene it's called an Old City Diffuser (OCD) and it seems to be somewhat of a hybrid. Some of you may already have seen it on the thread. It's made from hand turned wood with a unique and different shape than all other log types. It also has an adjustable temp control. The bowl takes about twice the ave load that a PD or MZ takes but could be loaded half way if you so choose. I think that it's being offered for an introductory price of $175.00. A seemingly honest, dedicated, responsive and personable fellow named Wes from St Augustine FL is the inventor and manufacture. There is a complete thread on this new vape. Reading the threads there seems to be a few start-up issues that still require working out before perfection and full production. A few of these have already been sold and are being tested and reviewed. My question remains, is it a log vape or not? Take a look at this new vape and see what you all think. What would you all classify it as?

Lycanthrope,

Nycdeisel

I heard it being referred to as "a log vape with a variable temp" which sounds pretty contradicting, however, it does seem to be going at the log vape market if I am not mistaken.

Nycdeisel,

lwien

The whole "log vape" terminology really never set well with me for some odd reason. It just doesn't seem to do this type of vape justice and kind of marginalizes it. The PD and the MZ were on the market for a long time before this terminology was ever attached to it.

So.......does this mean that all vapes that are cylindrical and made of wood should be thrown in the same category? I don't think so.

To me, the OCD is a different animal than either the MZ or PD and to think of the OCD as the same kind of vape doesn't make much sense to me. They are all direct draw vapes, but the similarities with the OCD ends there.

lwien,

MG23

Relaxin'
Nycdeisel said:
I heard it being referred to as "a log vape with a variable temp" which sounds pretty contradicting

Log vapes and variable temperature don't necessarily need to stay mutually exclusive. :)

MG23,

DaProfessor

MattyGTwenty3 said:
Nycdeisel said:
I heard it being referred to as "a log vape with a variable temp" which sounds pretty contradicting

Log vapes and variable temperature don't necessarily need to stay mutually exclusive. :)

Agreed, since log vapes have always been variable temp. Time to bust out the cozies and 13.5v adapters...

DaProfessor,

max

Out to lunch
Nycdeisel said:
I heard it being referred to as "a log vape with a variable temp" which sounds pretty contradicting, however, it does seem to be going at the log vape market if I am not mistaken.
There are no official definitions for vape categories. People just come up with names to describe similar vapes and sometimes the names stick- box vapes for the wood boxes (some are plastic now but still a box vape)-the SSV/DBV and some others are just variations on the box design, and they're all considered whip vapes. What's the Vapolution but a top loading box variation? It's not a whip vape if you use the glass straw/AIW bowl. Dual mode vapes are the bag fill/direct draw models, etc.
MattyGTwenty3 said:
Log vapes and variable temperature don't necessarily need to stay mutually exclusive.
I agree. I don't think the log vape definition has to be so narrow that one like the OCD can't be included. It's pretty much the same basic design and size, just with temp control. It certainly fits in the log category better than any other.

lwien said:
The whole "log vape" terminology really never set well with me for some odd reason. It just doesn't seem to do this type of vape justice and kind of marginalizes it.
Log vape, like it or not, has stuck IMO, and I don't think it's going away, at least not on this forum. I'm not crazy about the term myself, but I don't agree that it marginalizes. I don't think there was any attempt with the description to make this style of vape unimportant. It was just an attempt to categorize.

max,

lwien

max said:
I'm not crazy about the term myself, but I don't agree that it marginalizes. I don't think there was any attempt with the description to make this style of vape unimportant. It was just an attempt to categorize.

I don't think it was an attempt to marginalize it either, but I still think it does being that the workmanship and atheistic attributes to these vapes, in my opinion, sits a bit higher than just a...........log. Purely a subjective opinion. I always referred to these types of vapes as direct draws and I think I still will.

lwien,

Gunky

As I have detailed in the original post, there are these 3 vaporizers which are descended from the Eterra, use the same resistor to generate heat, etc. I used the term log vape because that was the term I found. It's a good term because it rather precisely delineates a small group which are nearly identical in design and distinguishes them from other direct draw vapes like whip vapes.

Gunky,

lwien

Gunky said:
As I have detailed in the original post, there are these 3 vaporizers which are descended from the Eterra, use the same resistor to generate heat, etc. I used the term log vape because that was the term I found. It's a good term because it rather precisely delineates a small group which are nearly identical in design and distinguishes them from other direct draw vapes like whip vapes.

There was a time, Gunky, that whip vapes were attributed to vapes that had whips and direct draws were attributed to vapes that used a much, much shorter vapor path that used stems such as the PD and MZ. Guess I'm just a bit old school, that's all.

If memory serves me, I think the first time a "log" definition was used was to describe a WDZ and it kind of migrated to the PD and MZ as well.

lwien,

Gunky

lwien said:
I don't think it was an attempt to marginalize it either, but I still think it does being that the workmanship and atheistic attributes to these vapes, in my opinion, sits a bit higher than just a...........log. Purely a subjective opinion. I always referred to these types of vapes as direct draws and I think I still will.

Atheistic attributes? Ai, those godless log vapes!

Gunky,

MG23

Relaxin'
Direct draw is just too broad of a definition. For example the MFLB would definitely be considered direct draw and it is a completely different species of vaporizer compared to log vapes.

Log vape is just a term based on aesthetics to focus on a very distinct style of vaporizer. (PD,MZ,WDZ)

Edit: I do catch your meaning completely though, a beautifully crafted piece of wood being considered a log is unflattering and could almost sound disrespectful to the crafter.

MG23,

max

Out to lunch
lwien said:
I always referred to these types of vapes as direct draws and I think I still will.
Can't say I blame you, but direct draw covers a lot of territory. You could use it for anything but a bag filler, and most of those are dual mode, so they could qualify in whip mode. Too bad 'log' is such a short, easy to use tag.

max,

lwien

MattyGTwenty3 said:
Direct draw is just too broad of a definition. For example the MFLB would definitely be considered direct draw.

Naw, I'd consider an LB as a portable, not a direct draw. But then I never refer the the Box as an MFLB either. That acronym was born at GC and was always refereed to here as an LB ever since it was first introduced.

Guess I'm swimming upstream here. ;)

lwien,

MG23

Relaxin'
lwien said:
MattyGTwenty3 said:
Direct draw is just too broad of a definition. For example the MFLB would definitely be considered direct draw.

Naw, I'd consider an LB as a portable, not a direct draw.

I would consider it a portable as well, but when I put my lips against the side of the box itself and draw the vapor directly to my mouth, I would also consider that a direct draw.

max said:
lwien said:
I always referred to these types of vapes as direct draws and I think I still will.
Can't say I blame you, but direct draw covers a lot of territory. You could use it for anything but a bag filler, and most of those are dual mode, so they could qualify in whip mode. Too bad 'log' is such a short, easy to use tag.

Couldn't have said it better.

MG23,

Purple-Days

Hey, I don't like the 'log vape' tag either, as I don't go out in the back woods and pick up logs to make them... But that's a whole other subject.

What's been brought up here is, putting the OCD vape in with what are 'known on FC' as 'log vapes'.

All 'log' vapes, as they have traditionally been referred to on FC, have been 12 Volt, fixed resistance / fixed Voltage / fixed temperature vapes using the same resistor since 1978. Also all using about the same load size in a small metal 'bowl'.

Along comes a somewhat small, wooden body vape called the OCD and some folks want to lump it into the 'log vape' catagory, only because it uses a somewhat small wooden body... :rolleyes:

The Purple-Days, the Myrtlezap and the Woodeez, (PD, MZ, WZ) are all based on an old patent (Eterra, 1978) each with slight differences, but all more similar than not. All using a tried and true, system that has proven safe and been in use for over 30 years.

OCD is (was?) a 120 Volt (mains) product. The OCD has gone through 2 (marketed) significant design changes in less than three months and is working on a third unspecified change. See post 292 of that thread. The external temperature of the unit is at 146.5 F, the temperature of a Medium-Rare steak. And he says all the owners of those previous failed designs will get replacements with the unspecified 'new' design. So the public doesn't even know what the OCD is yet.

One thing for sure, new designs should be tested before marketing, IMO. :cool:

Other differences: OCD (in the first two failed designs, failed, as in, removed from the market) uses a much larger glass bowl that needs to be stirred (ala SSV) according to reports. The small metal bowls of the PD/MZ/WZ are what makes these 'log vapes' efficient. Also adding to the efficiency, the metal of the bowl conducts heat well, the large glass bowl is an insulator. And while all three PD/MZ/WZ come standard with a nearly unbreakable bowl / tube, there are reports of the OCD glass bowl breaking during normal operation (removal). Also the PD/MZ/WZ are all meant run 24/7, the OCD mfg. has said that is not the intent of his product (ie. PD/MZ/WZ = always ready vs. OCD = warm up time).

While I don't like the term 'log vape', I will live with it. It has come to represent a very specific group of units. The Purple-Days, The Myrtlezap and the Woodeeze.

The OCD, if it ever makes it back to the market, does not fit the category, as it has come to be known around here. Best of luck to OCD with his newest design, but unless it's a 12 Volt (fixed Voltage) / fixed resistance / fixed temperature unit it IS NOT a 'log vape' as we have come to know it on FC over the years. You might as well call the SSZ a 'log vape', it's round like a 'log vape', or the MFLB a 'log vape' since it has a wooden body. :2c:

Purple-Days,

Nycdeisel

Thanks for the input, Tom.

For the record, I dont think I would actually consider the OCD as a 'log' as I agree, that name was coined for the WDZ/PD/MZ

I have noticed that the OCD looks to be marketed almost like a log in some ways(note that I never read the entire OCD thread) but I also would say its better lumped into direct draws then anything. I said I only heard it being referred to as ^^^^

Nycdeisel,

Purple-Days

^^^ Really just trying to answer Lycanthrope who threw this (obviously different, in several key ways, and an unfinished, twice failed design at that) vape into the 'Log Vape round-up' thread.

The OCD is it's own thing. :2c: It's as closely related to the SSV, as it is to the 'log vapes', as they are known here. :peace:

mod note: Since you're a manufacturer, it's really not appropriate to be commenting on another company's design problems.

Purple-Days,

Rick

Zapman
I kinda like the log vape terminology for the three similar vapes but then I do work in the woods often doing the log thing.
Toms points again are all right on target. Quite a big difference in function between the traditional log vape design and the OCD.
What has kept us going for so long IS the simple design which guarantees maximum efficiency in the delivery of essential goodies. That is the basic bottom line on traditional log vapes. Another very big issue in my book is the step down to 12 volts, 1 amp going in to the unit. Read SAFE. 120 volts going in to an electrical gizmo is another story. 12 volts 1 amp limits the heat possible.
Several years ago I had a guy send me a pic of his AZ, spaced for a day, upside down and under a foam pillow. The pillow got brown in a big area where the upside down heatport had rested(of course "on") for many hours but did not burn.
Traditional log vapes deserve the category they are in for a reason. They are proven, year after year to be a very simple, very efficient and safe vapor distributing device.
As for the log name, it's cool. When I go over to Bobs place for wood and look at his perfect bowls and spheres, I always say...." I just turn logs, day after day". Nothing fancy.

mod note: Since you're a manufacturer, it's really not appropriate to be commenting on how another company chooses to design- "another story" = unsafe.

Rick,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Thanks everyone for your valued input. I think that the consensus here is that the OCD is not to be considered a "log vape". While I think that the OCD concept is a good one and has merits, it has a long way to go as far as being a reliable trouble free vape that's acceptable to the vape community at large. As I'm relatively new to vapeing (8months) the only collective reference to the MZ, PD, and WZ I have seen on this forum is the term "log vape". I guess that term is going to stick whether its liked disliked or otherwise it is what it is which is OK with me. Being an owner of an MZ, every time I come across the term "log vape" I only think of the three that are considered "log vapes" and nothing else comes to mind. To me that term is uniquely definitive. God this place can be fun, educative, and entertaining. Again, thanks for the input. :D

Lycanthrope,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom