Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

cpk

Brother of the Leaf
Take your stem out and go into a dark room and hit the power button. You should see the coil glowing and feel the heat. Make sure your basket is close to the stem. Good luck.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Still not having any luck with my LB. I haven't gotten one satisfying hit yet. Not even close to the first manual vape I've used so I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble getting vapor.
I feel your pain! I agree with you, if you're a seasoned, on demand vape guy, you should not being having these issues. Something must be up with your unit. Not sure it's repairable any longer, as I'd wind up having to rebuild it from scratch. I've been giving breaks to people that have picked up used units and upgraded. You can PM me if you're interested. If not, I tend to agree with you, something's up with your LB. Yes, great advice, put in some fresh batteries and take a peek.

Last edited:

HindelangGG

Hello out there guys. I am one of the guys from the first batch and shortly after I stopped following the threat because I had everything I.needed. But now the question is what's new? Are there some new accessories, a new mouthpiece, is the timber avaible soon or any other news?

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

@HindelangGG Lots new. LB 2.o and LB Elite for starters.

LB Classic 2.0
Improved coil design
Stainless steel foil lined oven
New larger 3 amp switch
Softer edges, better finish

LB Elite (coming soon)
All of the above plus...
DNC chip
Regulated
Programmable

After being a firefighter / captain with the FDNY for almost 25 years, an author, web designer, gym owner, teacher, woodworker, I have to say, I LOVE BUILDING LIL' BUDS, but do not like being a business man. Thank God, FC takes the sting out of that, for the most part, because I feel like I'm selling vapes to my friends, with everybody's best interest at heart. Sometimes, it's a lot to deal with in this fast paced, I want it yesterday world. I also make myself very available, and everything is an open book, good and bad. I must say, I expect the same respect I give my customers.

I can hear the Soup Nazi now, "No soup for you."

Last edited:

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
Still not having any luck with my LB. I haven't gotten one satisfying hit yet. Not even close to the first manual vape I've used so I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble getting vapor.

I sent you a DM, you mostly likely have a bad switch. I've had two like that which is why Mike's list has the switch #1.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Weird couple of days in the shop this week. Both Monday, and this morning, I've been having unusual mishaps. While using a very fine scratch awl to mark the spot for the side vents, I must have applied a little too much pressure, when the unit just split in half, clean break. I could probably glue it back together if it was furniture. Incident two, while installing the coil I notice the anchor screw hole strips out and coil is now able to move - bad. I wind up scrapping the coil and starting over. I usually have a plan for stripped out screw holes (next larger size screw), but just can't pull it off on the disk. New coil is just easier. Next, I'm drilling the conduit from the switch box to the battery compartment on a pre-assembled unit. I notice the brad point drill bit is kinda getting dull, having trouble with this simple cut, again, I apply a little too much pressure and it pokes through the front of the switch box, just marring an edge. Lastly, I'm mortising out a switch box for the larger switch and I discover a split of some kind in the already narrow side wall. Too close for comfort, I have to ixnay the switch box.

I've had the screws strip out, but while forming, not upon installation. The other three incidents are a first. Maybe I'm pushing too hard, but I feel relaxed while I'm working. Taking a break right now, and hoping these annoyances disappear.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Not sure it's repairable any longer,
What a weird thing to say.
I sent you a DM, you mostly likely have a bad switch. I've had two like that which is why Mike's list has the switch #1.
I think it may be ok actually. Wasn't giving it enough time to warm up initially but once it's heat soaked it seems to work pretty good. Should I be able to grab it when cold and get a rip with a ~5 second pre-heat?

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising

I think it may be ok actually. Wasn't giving it enough time to warm up initially but once it's heat soaked it seems to work pretty good. Should I be able to grab it when cold and get a rip with a ~5 second pre-heat?

Yes you should be able to get a rip with less pre-heat then that..

Mike reached out to you , why not send him a PM? You'd get a quick reply and be in contact with the best person to help you . I said or could say weirder things then he said :D

SpudBob

I've had the screws strip out, but while forming, not upon installation. The other three incidents are a first. Maybe I'm pushing too hard, but I feel relaxed while I'm working. Taking a break right now, and hoping these annoyances disappear.
Maybe you need to take a little time off between batches! When you start making unforced errors you may be pushing too hard. Don't let yourself get burned out! Its not worth it! Hard to do, sometimes, but good for your soul! Spend some away time with the Wifey and Reddy!!!

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Suddenly, I have lots to think about. The support and advice is always much appreciated. I have now closed batch 8 at 10 LB Classics. Batch 9, slated for October, will include the Elite prototypes, and if possible some of the pre orders. Not sure how batches of Elites and Classics will work out (together / alternating). Only time will tell. I'm pretty sure that almost twice the price will keep sales lower on the Elite, but who knows. I do know one thing, I have been pushing too hard, and my batches have been too big and too frequent. I'm taking a step back and I'm going to slow down a bit. For the next couple of batches, we're keeping numbers kinda low. This will hopefully allow for the Timber and Elite to come to fruition as well.

With that said, looks like 8 units will ship tomorrow, virtually putting a close to the mega batch 7. There are a 3 special cases, not regular sales, who will have to wait til next week. I guess you're still in batch 7, just couldn't get you finished today. So batch 7 took four trips to the post office. Batch 8 will be one trip.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I bought a prototype LB when Mike was settling on the new switch so it's an early 2.0 model and it's become my favorite vape for home use. I've had even better results since adding a 4" glass lined stem from Alan.

I prefer big clouds and maybe that's the reason I've taken to stirring every one or two hits. I also think the glass insert makes the load heat up with a bias toward the middle since roughly half of the screen just has the end of the glass tube behind it and can't experience the same airflow.

I'm mainly just checking in to say thumbs up to Mike and the batch 7 folks who are going to be in good shape.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I knew I had a couple of these around. Thanks @Alan for the endless stream of new products. This is just a simple 12mm OD glass insert, and extension of sorts. Definitely a little cooler, but a little less taste. Maybe I'm used to the wood / resin flavoring things. This is a little almost a bit too clean for my current taste buds. However, I fried the bowl in 4 hits (light load), didn't cough, and got really high. I haven't pulled on anything but a short wood stem in a very long time.

UPDATE ON THE GLASS INSERT
The dynamics of the *hit* change. I'm finding a better result with a looser draw, faster air, without as much suction, is making things sing nicely. Also seems to be keeping things quite cool. Without the hard suction, ABV seems to be staying a bit lighter. Too early to tell, but after a few stems that's what I'm observing.
jaxlkj.jpg

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

Sounds like the battery might be older?

With a new battery a 5 second pre heat should be unneeded. Heck I'm surprised it isn't combusting.

Just tossing out other possible reasons for the slow heating. Lots of bad batteries, rewraps etc being sold.

What your describing sounds like a weak battery issue. Hope so, that's a cheap easy fix :)

HerbieVonVapster,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good Morning FC!

The glass insert has taught me much. It is a completely different balance when the inside diameter shrinks below 12mm. Not sure what the ID of the glass insert is, but guessing 9mm, or a 25% reduction. Add the extra length (about an inch and a half when fully inserted), and the suction I can create is reduced, changing the nature of the hit. I like the slow draw, high suction, almost like I have a vise grip on the vapor as it expands, increasing resistance, and the vacuum effect. In the end, I love the wide open, high suction, short stem.

Reddy's little chin is rested in the crook of my elbow as I type, sitting on the couch. As long as I don't move my left arm, I can just about type. Have my right arm for sipping coffee, sipping LB. Today will be a post office run, and maybe unboxing some DNC parts just to get a better understanding of what I will need to do. I'm working tomorrow and Saturday (break from the shop), but will be back at it Sunday.

Lil' Bud has come a long way. In 8 months we've gone from a great idea to one of the busier threads on FC day in, day out. I am looking forward to the Elite, but damn proud of the Classic. I've accomplished every one of my goals with the LB-C.

ORIGINAL GOALS

ALL WOOD
All wood vape, no plastic, no adhesives, no freaking nothing but wood and stainless steel. There is a drop of plastic in the actual switch, and one wire is teflon coated (not connected to the coil).

NO GLASS
Drilling a tapered hole to accept a 19/22 stem is a much more refined operation than simply drilling a straight hole and shoving a glass 19/22 female joint into the hole and gluing it in, but I was determined to eliminate the need for glass. Glass is fragile, and also gets very hot, stealing heat from the coil, making the heater work much harder, draining the battery. I was actually challenged to build LB without glass - I accepted.

NO ELECTRONICS - UNPARALLELED RELIABILITY
It's got a battery and a switch. Once the switch is sorted out, there is nothing to break. Now that LB is nailed down dimensionally, even if a switch is defective, it's an easy swap out. Finding my current switch supplier was a game changer for LB.

SAFETY
Battery safety tabs create a fail safe system

BATTERY GAUGE
External, not part of the unit, interchangeable

INSTANT HEAT
Thanks @Alan, and the foil lining is just pushing it over the top

BEAUTY
The ability to hand craft a functional vaporizer didn't happen overnight. Building furniture was a great primer, but once I got the hang of working with smaller parts, my skills caught right up.

FUNCTION
Probably the best thing about LB Classic 2.0 is how effectively it can extract vapor from dry flower cannabis

REASONABLY PRICED
So for just over $150 you can get a LB, less if you wait for a sale. Early on, when it took me 3 times as long to build LB, this was a bad plan. I counted on the fact that I'd get faster and faster. Thankfully, I got much more efficient, even if some of the most recent 2.0 tweaks have added a bit of time back in. Building LB's isn't paying my mortgage, not yet anyway, as I have a pension and another part time job, but time is money, and keeping prices fair early on was a leap of faith that worked out.

LB classic has been compared to a sports car. I'm going to take it a step further, and compare it to an old classic American hot rod. When I was growing up in Brooklyn, my neighbor had a '57 Chevy. Minimalistic is the word that comes to mind when I think of him sliding under the car to pull the chain that opens the door (no door handles). The hot rod of its time was all engine / transmission / chassis and wheels - one seat, no heater, ac, radio - hell, door handles were a liability to these guys. S0, not a Porsche (Elite?), more a GTO or Road Runner, or even a '57 Chevy.

Last edited:

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
@Bravesst it has been my joy watching all this unfold. And classic American Sports Car it is indeed.

One of the cool things about @Alan stems is you can customize the stem to meet your natural draw. I must have been a vampire in a former life because I can suck a bowling ball through a straw. The reduced diameter restricts my draw, giving me more control, and I've also learned that I like the mouth feel of glass better than wood.

At this point I'm probably going to keep my LB-C Classic, but I do look forward to incorporating a bit of technology from Vapwood and make my Timber investment in the Elite when that inevitably comes to fruition later this year or early next.

SpudBob

One of the cool things about @Alan stems is you can customize the stem to meet your natural draw.
Thats what is awesome about it. You can adjust to increase your experience. I, personally, like the reduced diameter glass lined Alans in my Milaana.It slows down my draw speed and cools the vapor accordingly. I hope it does the same in the Lil B, but I may not like it as much in the LB .I will have both though. Sometimes you just want a change and, to me, adaptability is KING! Then you got bongs, whips, etc if you really want to shake it up. Thats whats nice about having multiple vapes too. Gives you choices.

Last edited:

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Finally decided to try for myself the idea about adding ss foil to the coil cavity that I gave to @Bravesst for the Lil' Bud. It works quite well in the iHeat. More of the watts are going to heat the air rather than heat the wood body. It is a great advancement in the design. So great that @Bravesst is willing to try new things. Lil' Bud just keeps getting better and better. Looking forward to the DNA based LB. Should be really amazing. A DNA based Timber would also be sweet. Lots of good things coming from vapwood.

HerbieVonVapster

ALL WOOD
All wood vape, no plastic, no adhesives, no freaking nothing but wood and stainless steel. There is a drop of plastic in the actual switch, and one wire is teflon coated (not connected to the coil).

NO GLASS
Drilling a tapered hole to accept a 19/22 stem is a much more refined operation than simply drilling a straight hole and shoving a glass 19/22 female joint into the hole and gluing it in, but I was determined to eliminate the need for glass. Glass is fragile, and also gets very hot, stealing heat from the coil, making the heater work much harder, draining the battery. I was actually challenged to build LB without glass - I accepted.

This is the main reason I ordered a lil bud.

After a glass mishap I decided to check FC to see what's new.
I come to realize with my hands glass isn't my best option.

When I ran across the lil bud vaporizer it couldn't have come at a better time. I was looking for something where I wouldn't need to to deal with me breaking glass. Since I already have some wooden tubes it was a nice added bonus they fit.

Decided to order just a walnut unit. Started following the thread and decide I wanted to change mine to a matching switchbox cherry unit. A quick PM to Mike and was there was no problem changing my order.

Being stuck at home I really have enjoyed watching Batch 7's journey. Mike sharing the process was at times been fun, others time exciting and even sad with hearing about Reddy(so glad he is doing better).

Even with a double batch and life he kept everyone aware of the delay's, took feedback to heart and can tell he really does put his heart into this. i respect that.

Plus he is kinda ahead of schedule unit wise. Start of batch7 Mike was talking about upping to 15 units a batch. He double that amount so could argue he's ahead if I went by a 15 units is a batch instead of just the batch number:)

I think if you asked Mike in the beginning of June if he would have 30 units shipped by middle Aug. He would say he was woulda been ahead schedule.

Same amount of unit just two different ways you can look at it i guess :)

I was thinking of my walnut change to cherry order well sitting out on deck today. In sunlight the cherry's is almost 2 faced. One side lighter other more darker. Kinda like one's cherry one more walnut. I really like it since wasn't sure between cherry and walnut. Pictures don't really show it but in person the differance is really neat.
4j57bt.jpg

29wmt51.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Finally decided to try for myself the idea about adding ss foil to the coil cavity that I gave to @Bravesst for the Lil' Bud. It works quite well in the iHeat. More of the watts are going to heat the air rather than heat the wood body. It is a great advancement in the design. So great that @Bravesst is willing to try new things. Lil' Bud just keeps getting better and better. Looking forward to the DNA based LB. Should be really amazing. A DNA based Timber would also be sweet. Lots of good things coming from vapwood.
I really believe in sharing information, and trying new things. How could I not use the foil lining? It was just a matter of figuring out what, where, how, the why was clear.

Damn if I finally didn't build a LB with the brand, brand new switch for me. It's a beaded walnut unit, and typical of what I've been producing lately. I freaking love the switch. I'm testing it now with some hemp fiber to allow me to crank it a bit. Powerful, smooth, fast, really tasty. This is my first unit with not only the new switch, but left handed tighter coil, it's rocking!

2saff53.jpg

Went postal with 8 orders (tracking later tonight or tomorrow AM). I have 3 more assemblies before I completely close out batch 7 from everything, including repairs. Phew... Going to the vet with Red, nothing serious, just my regular vet (vs neurologist) for routine stuff. He is doing well, we are seeing improvements every day.

Sampling of today's shipment
x2572w.jpg

2a199k.jpg
2wf8ww5.jpg
2hwze3b.jpg

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Damn those are gorgeous....

I saw carnauba wax mentioned here and so I got some to treat my nano...
Damn, how do you use this stuff !? The only way I can think of (without solvents) is to spread the flakes on the wood and blast it with a hair drier at max setting... It is real a pain to do that on a cylindrical object...Also, as soon as you start working the stuff into the wood with a cloth it hardens into the fabric ... :o

I have never seen a material harden so rapidly after being melted! Most waxy stuff gradually hardens when the heating is stopped....This will revert back to full hardness pretty much instantly the moment the temperature drops even a tiny bit below the high melting point. It does feel like the ultimate natural wood stabiliser but does it need to be dissolved in a solvent?

Haze Mister,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I'm hitting on my batch 7 DD (I earned a DD on this batch, only have one spare really), with new switch and all, my battery is down around 3.6 and vapor still producing vapor with a little preheat. I've turned the stem to complete dust (stirred a couple of times), and started at about 3.7. Dare I load another bowl and see what happens?

STAY TUNED...
Holy crap. On my third super rip from this stem. Just read the battery at 3.55 (these gauges tend to be a little low) as compared to my nitecore. I'm headed back in.

TO BE CONTINUED...
Huge clouds, barely any preheat on hit 5 and six. I am really impressing myself. And the freaking switch is kind of, maybe, a drop, warm - if that. That is very cool (pun intended).

Last edited:
Top Bottom