Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

MonkeyTime

@MonkeyTime
Sorry about all that mix up with PayPal. All my fault when setting up the new store to the wrong account. Will have no effect on your actual order. Nice choice on the Walnut body and Cherry switch box. I can't wait to get started on the Walnut units.

@Pam
My #1 supporter. I truly appreciate all that you do, down in the trenches. Let's hope Lil' Bud will speak for himself when he gets out there.

We're all good!

I can't wait either!

MonkeyTime,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Just took a couple of pics before packing up. These guys, and the rest of the team will be traveling soon. I'm already working on the next batch. Can't wait to see them in their new homes!

I guess that also means that this thread is ready to move into the portable vape section. :wave:

VVaqvoU.jpg

1fXohIb.jpg

Drdureq.jpg

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
We move the thread when we know that customers have taken delivery.
Shipping priority mail tomorrow. That means some will have their units by Thursday for sure, maybe even Wednesday. Today, I wanted to put a dent in the coil situation on the next batch. Done, done, and done... Alan would be proud. If I had to charge based on the pace I was going at the beginning, each Lil' Bud would have been out price range for just about everybody. But, I gambled on the fact that I'd speed up without sacrificing quality. I have, especially in the electronic aspect of the vape. I was pretty quick with the woodworking all along, once I settled into a design, it got quick.

The next few days will be about building the 10 (maybe 12) wood bodies, switch boxes, back plates. I have an idea on how to make the rough cutting process really efficient. I'm also going to build a couple as *all same wood* pieces. I gave it a shot on round one (a customer requested one so I wanted to try first), and wound up keeping it. This time I'm going to pay attention to the extra work involved, and offer this as an option for a slight charge.

Once I get the wood all cut (size, switch box), routed (mortise, edges, back plate), drilled (tapered joint, coil compartment, vent holes), planed, sanded, hand finished, it's time for pre-assembly, and another round of planing, sanding with switch box attached. I have to break down one more time, and then assemble with coil, wire up, reassemble. Lil' Bud is not a Lil' Job.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
I'm also going to build a couple as *all same wood* pieces. I gave it a shot on round one (a customer requested one so I wanted to try first), and wound up keeping it. This time I'm going to pay attention to the extra work involved, and offer this as an option for a slight charge.

Why should there be any difference in price using the same wood? I don't understand why there should there be any price difference between units that are constructed of the same vs. 2 different woods?

Summer,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Summer
That's a good question. We're not talking about the same *type* of wood, but the actual same piece of wood. Using the same exact piece of wood for the switch box and back plate is a bit more involved than you might think. You can't just cut out for the switch box and use that piece, it's too small because of the saw blade is an 1/8 of an inch. So... I need the closest possible thing, a small piece just under that piece that made the main body, or just in front of the main body.

This is instead of cutting one long piece the size of the switch box, then slicing up into units. I can do a lot of work on the switch boxes in one big piece, instead of having to work each little one. Same for the back plate. I'm not sure I explained it so clearly, but the simple answer is, it takes more time.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Why should there be any difference in price using the same wood? I don't understand why there should there be any price difference between units that are constructed of the same vs. 2 different woods?

Yeah, from my wood working experience, it takes slightly more wood to end up with the same desired size , it's also more time consuming working with matching pieces and needs to be "thought out" more when working with it . In other words it takes abit more material and its harder on the brain , lol

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
All labels have been written out (need printer ink), boxes packed. I should get to the post office in the morning, and I'll provide tracking to you. I'm not sure about tracking with the international orders, we're going to have to play that by ear.

I'm having a moment. First, I suddenly realize I'm am wiped out, but I'll miss this batch. I worked double hard to get this batch out, as not everything was finalized, but we worked it all out. But it's onward and upward --- I'm already knee deep in batch two.

For those of you eagerly awaiting my video debut, just hang in there. While Lil' Bud's are flying around the world, I'll be cutting a one take, come as you are, instructional video.

No more pics, all Lil' Buds are sleeping, getting ready for their big journey. :wave:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good morning on the official launch date of Lil' Bud - February 26, 2018

I was looking for the perfect tab to serve as the battery safety block. I fashioned some out of very thin 1/64 inch wood stock, each Lil' Bud will be sent out with ten. I've still be looking for the perfect plastic tab, that's replenishable, and you can get yourself with no work. I had the shape in mind, and I knew I'd seen it, then it hit me, collar stays.

I just ordered some and will include a dozen or so with each order. If I knew where to purchase them locally, I'd include with batch one, but not worth holding the orders until Wednesday, when you can pick up your lifetime supply (probably a few lifetimes) yourself for under $10 on amazon.

Here's the amazon link.
http://a.co/dJuI1On

Lil' Bud's new battery safety block. Looks like it's gonna be a winner.
jpTV4Z9.jpg

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
I read that you’ll be getting you real soon. Let us know what you think. I’m dying to see and read about how this thing works and performs. I’m hoping this is the vape I’ve been looking for.

Same here , looking forward to hear and see pics of people's Lil' Buds and i too have a mighty strong feeling it will be the vape I've been looking for . I currently have a love and hate relationship with my vapcap, lol, it's high time we part ways , lol.. I've been vaping since 2016 and been searching for a quality - efficient - to me portable vaporizer since. Not having lots of money to try multiple vapes i waited it out and when seen the Lil' Bud, I decided to give it a try! The installement plan purchase helped make purchase more comfortable too. It fulfills my personal needs in a vape ; pure air path, on demand, exchangeable battery, durable, efficient, even down to builder being transparent, etc.. the mention of @Alan working with Mike on this only adds to it. Even if ends up not being vape i was waiting for I'll still find it kick ass having this handcrafted collaboration of these two guys.

@Fat Freddy .. last pics we seen , a slot opening in the lid lined up with the battery connection inside lets you slide the blocker in / with the lid closed .

@HindelangGG , haha nice, you really can't go wrong they all seem sooo nice ! I'm not even sure which one I'd prefer (blonde for day, dark for night maybe ? Hahah )

Thinking of settling with dark walnut body and either light walnut or cherry switch box and lid, matching stem would be cool . But really knowing the amount of time and effort Mike puts into these, each unit truly is unique and beautiful on their own !!

Happy Launch day everyone! Congrats again @Bravesst

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Hello Boys and Girls...

10 orders shipped as promised. I never liked being made to wait longer than I'm told, and it seems that in the vape world, there are all sorts of delays. I'm glad I was able to avoid that. Tracking numbers were sent to the lucky 10. That means it's time to get serious about cutting the video. I have less than 48 hours. Tonight, I'll organize my thoughts on what I need to cover.

Lots of questions, I'll answer what I can. Darker wood is actually Black Walnut. Sometimes it'll have gnarly grain patterns, other times swirly, with light streaks. Cherry is the lighter wood, but gets darker as it ages. With this type of use, where it's handled all the time, probably even quicker. My new DD is a Cherry / Cherry model, and it's already a few shades darker.

Timber will have the same heater, I'm not 100% on the configuration / design of the rest of it, but one thing I know, it'll have that coil.

Now that the units are out, I have to say I did my best to flush out any issues. The video will cover how to get the most out of the unit, but I'm open to any questions, publicly or privately. If something does go amiss, I'll either fix or replace ASAP.

I also did some cutting to size of my walnut stock. Real gnarly, tough to cut on the table saw. My blade bound up a couple of times, and then my saw wouldn't restart. I looked for the reset switch, taking the saw half apart, no good. I searched the owner's manual and it wasn't in the place they said. I went online, and read five different things on what to do. I am now freaking out because the table saw is the most important, most expensive, piece of equipment I have. Long story short, I found the reset button, all is well. Walnut is cut to size.

This time I'm going to have to work in units of two Lil' Buds per board. Each board is cut to the right width (60mm) and thickness (28mm), but about 2 feet long (final length is 95mm or under 4 inches). Last time I worked with 4 foot boards, but that last batch of cherry was much easier to work with. Each board will probably yield 2 Lil' Buds. I have 6 boards ready to go. Goal is to produce ten units to match my already formed 10 coils. I like working with some extra, once the set up is made, might as well make a couple of extras. I was tempted to increase batch size to accommodate the demand, but ten just feels like the right amount for me to work with, so I stuck with ten.

So... as the launch day comes to a close, I'm looking forward to a bright future for Vapwood, including Timber, and maybe even a collaboration with Alan. Can't wait...

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@MonkeyTime
Yes... the collaboration. Let's just say there are a couple of *plug in* options in the works.

@HindelangGG
It was sent priority, so hopefully it isn't that bad. I picked you out a nice looking Cherry / Walnut.

I was thinking, my video will wind up being an advertisement in addition to instructional. I need to cover some important points.

1. Herb Prep
dry, hand break
2. Load
amount, distance, tamp, stir
3. Use
draw speed, switch depression
4. Maintenance (really is none outside of stem)
clean screen, stem
5. Battery
safety stop block, when to swap, gauge

Am I forgetting anything?

About wood. I like cherry and walnut, not only because they look great, and are nice to work with, but both are beyond suitable for this task. The Lil' Bud is a light weight, I've dropped it numerous times and it just takes it. There literally is nothing to break. I'm sure a drop on concrete will nick up the wood, but it'll keep on ticking. Maple is another options, harder, and there will be some maple units when I can get some nice figured maple. I'm going to expand, eventually, into exotic woods. But for now, I'll probably stick with the big 3.

Last edited:

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
I'm going to expand, eventually, into exotic woods. But for now, I'll probably stick with the big 3.

This old hippie would be okay without a move to exotics-there are so many sustainable North American woods that are also beautiful and can have some wonderful figure: Walnut, Maple, Oak (if not too hard), Cedar (might be too soft), or even Redwood from stumps. I have a Redwood topped guitar that came from a 12' tall Redwood stump that was cut down in the late 1800's. All of these can be harvested in a sustainable way.

Top Bottom