max

Out to lunch
August West said:
Guess my threat of taking my complaint to social media and spreading the word about their HORRIBLE customer service and inferior product finally worked.
Not hardly. I've already reported this policy change, over two weeks ago, two pages back, and who knows how long before that they actually changed the policy.

max,

anivape

August, hope you don't have any more hassles getting a working iolite in your hands
They are a mechanical marvel when working optimally,

It's just the nature of butane,
that they can get clogged a little too easy.

I have to remind myself to bleed the gas every couple of weeks,
that seems to be a top tip for butane powered devices..
besides having clean butane..

"I'll get up and fly away... fly away..."

anivape,

Surf Monkey

I concur that the Iolite is great when you have one that works correctly. I've owned one for about two years now and the only reason I don't use it more is that I've switched to a MFLB for my main portable. I do fire up the Iolite from time to time, though and always find it to be a satisfactory experience. It took a little while to figure out the correct technique, but once I had that down I found I could get nice big clouds out of it, particularly if I was meticulous about stirring the load periodically. The only problem I've had with it is inconsistent butane burn, but it seems to be a case of air getting into the system, so a flush and re-fill fixes it every time.

Personally, I wish the Iolite would do an update to the current model. The WHSPR looks cool, but I really like the form factor of the original. With a few minor tweaks it could be a practically optimal system.

Surf Monkey,

HighMtnSkier

Waiting for winter
I've had my Iolite for almost a year now, and I've had pretty good success with mine. I consider it a game changer. :ninja:

After 9 months, it just stopped working. I called Iolite, and after some troubleshooting they promptly RMA'd it. While I was waiting for that to arrive, I bought another one. When my replacement arrived, they threw in a extra mouthpiece. I also use the optimizer.

Maybe I just have really good herbs, but I get about 30 minutes a bowl without the optimizer, and about 20 minutes with it. I do feel like I get thicker vapor hits with the optimizer. Great tip about spinning the bowl, btw.

It's nice having 3 mouth pieces, as I often have long drives (I drive around 30K miles a year). It's nice to leave with more then one pre-loaded bowl. I read the tic-tac box method...I'm gonna try that. I like to make edibles with my Iolite poo, so I currently accumulate the abv into a mint box now.

I don't get that great run time per refill though. About 2 bowls worth, maybe. I've tried to bleed the tank out, but it's still only 2 bowls. It's not a big deal, as I just keep some butane in the trunk of my car, and at home. If need be, I've thrown the can in my pack.

I've used mine everywhere, and in retrospect, a few places I shouldn't have :cool:. I've had limited success with it skiing however. I'm on the East Coast, so altitude isn't a problem, but the cold has been a bit of a show stopper getting it lit at times. When it works, it's a game changer for the slopes. First and foremost, herb is on the inside, so wind isn't an issue. Secondly, once it's packed and fueled, you can totally operate it with gloves on. That's pretty nice for riding the lifts. We usually toke on the lift rides up, since the runs are so short here, as opposed to a safety meeting style session.

I've had a bowl or two slide apart, I found a pretty good solution is to use one of those rubber (livestrong style) bracelets and wrap that around the unit.

Peace
HMS :peace:

HighMtnSkier,

max

Out to lunch
Surf Monkey said:
Personally, I wish the Iolite would do an update to the current model. The WHSPR looks cool, but I really like the form factor of the original. With a few minor tweaks it could be a practically optimal system.
What kind of tweaks do you think they could do, that they already haven't done with the original? They made changes to the herb chamber/mouthpiece. Anything else would require redesigning the housing. The changes they made with the WISPR were ones they got mainly from feedback here at FC, and none of those were possible with the original shell. They may eventually come up with new plastics or insulation, or a new shape in that size, for a complete redesign of the original, but I don't think it'll be any time soon.

max,

EMaC

I've had my Iolite for a couple of days now and absolutely love it so far. I've read through the 140 or so pages on this topic and have a pretty clear understanding how this device works. Even though, I still can't help but worry at least a little bit about the safety of the butane fueled catalytic conversion system that heats the conductor. I know the whole process is done in a separate sealed chamber and the exhaust it produces is supposed to be harmless. But what if it's malfunctioning in an unnoticeable way? Does anyone else share the same concerns I do? As in, is there any possible way we could be inhaling even a small amount of butane? I know there have been previous questions like this, I just couldn't seem to find a clear answer, from some of the more trustworthy sounding posters anyway. Has anyone heard of anyone having any problems with accidental butane inhalation? I have a roommate that isn't a fan of combusting in the apartment, that's what turned me on to vaping (and also being a healthier option to combustion). Before I would have to wait until the roommate left or go out to the garage, but now I can just whip out my Iolite whenever I want and he's none the wiser! This thing has to be too good to be true. I can use it almost anywhere at anytime with no worries. That's one of reasons I question the overall safety, nothing ever works this well without a catch haha. Regardless, I'm still sucking on this thing even as I write this. I'm loving it until I hear otherwise :D

EMaC,

nr-cole

EMaC said:
I've had my Iolite for a couple of days now and absolutely love it so far. I've read through the 140 or so pages on this topic and have a pretty clear understanding how this device works. Even though, I still can't help but worry at least a little bit about the safety of the butane fueled catalytic conversion system that heats the conductor. I know the whole process is done in a separate sealed chamber and the exhaust it produces is supposed to be harmless. But what if it's malfunctioning in an unnoticeable way? Does anyone else share the same concerns I do? As in, is there any possible way we could be inhaling even a small amount of butane? I know there have been previous questions like this, I just couldn't seem to find a clear answer, from some of the more trustworthy sounding posters anyway. Has anyone heard of anyone having any problems with accidental butane inhalation? I have a roommate that isn't a fan of combusting in the apartment, that's what turned me on to vaping (and also being a healthier option to combustion). Before I would have to wait until the roommate left or go out to the garage, but now I can just whip out my Iolite whenever I want and he's none the wiser! This thing has to be too good to be true. I can use it almost anywhere at anytime with no worries. That's one of reasons I question the overall safety, nothing ever works this well without a catch haha. Regardless, I'm still sucking on this thing even as I write this. I'm loving it until I hear otherwise :D

Heh I used to have the same roommate issues and the Iolite was also the vape that helped me get around them.

This is all just speculation and extrapolation on my part, so take it all with a grain of salt. First off O+B knows their butane. They've been making gas heating tools for a long time now (and by reputation the best gas irons in the world) and should know how to produce a reliable machine. "You should trust them" isn't the greatest reassurance ever but in this case I think it's true. I know the Iolite has a reputation for being finicky but that's more an issue with the technology at play. It's just a sensitive machine.

That being said, I doubt a reputable company like them would produce a device that uses butane and involves people sucking on that device without considerable failsafes in place. Knockoff companies in China is one thing, but a company like O+B probably wouldn't expose themselves to that level of risk.

In terms of the actual device, if there was a chance that butane could escape the closed system it works in my guess is that the device wouldn't work period. So in a sense you'd "know" if it was malfunctioning. Additionally, butane is cold, so if it was going anywhere it shouldn't you'd probably feel it as well.

Not sure how much all of that helps. Just me thinking forward from the fact that I trust the manufacturer. Also, I've been puffing on my Iolite for almost a year now, and I have yet to show any of the effects Wikipedia tells me come from inhaling butane.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butane#Effects_and_health_issues

Also, welcome!

nr-cole,

EMaC

nr-cole said:
EMaC said:

Heh I used to have the same roommate issues and the Iolite was also the vape that helped me get around them.

This is all just speculation and extrapolation on my part, so take it all with a grain of salt. First off O+B knows their butane. They've been making gas heating tools for a long time now (and by reputation the best gas irons in the world) and should know how to produce a reliable machine. "You should trust them" isn't the greatest reassurance ever but in this case I think it's true. I know the Iolite has a reputation for being finicky but that's more an issue with the technology at play. It's just a sensitive machine.

That being said, I doubt a reputable company like them would produce a device that uses butane and involves people sucking on that device without considerable failsafes in place. Knockoff companies in China is one thing, but a company like O+B probably wouldn't expose themselves to that level of risk.

In terms of the actual device, if there was a chance that butane could escape the closed system it works in my guess is that the device wouldn't work period. So in a sense you'd "know" if it was malfunctioning. Additionally, butane is cold, so if it was going anywhere it shouldn't you'd probably feel it as well.

Not sure how much all of that helps. Just me thinking forward from the fact that I trust the manufacturer. Also, I've been puffing on my Iolite for almost a year now, and I have yet to show any of the effects Wikipedia tells me come from inhaling butane.

Also, welcome!

Thanks for the info!

I figured this thing was safe, just needed a little reassurance from someone who's used it longer than the 3 days I've had it. I also read in a previous post that someone let it run for a while in a shoebox with a CO detector and the Iolite didn't set it off. I just couldn't believe a machine this great didn't come with any catches! Other than the fact it seems like a lot of people have issues with it not working properly. But I think most of that can be attributed to user error, as you said it's a very sensitive machine.

I was dead set on getting an SSV but the guy at my smoke shop talked me into the Iolite. At first I was certain I made the wrong choice but this thing definitely grew on me. I'm glad the guy was able to change my mind because it would have taken me that much longer, if ever, to realize how amazing a portable vape can be!

At first I was going to get the SSV and be done with it, just to please the roommate who doesn't like smoke. But getting the Iolite led me here which opened the door to the vape world for me and I don't think I'll ever combust again. So now I'm going back to get the SSV so I can have a vape for every occasion!

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated!

EMaC,

nr-cole

^ Heh, not entirely sure why, but headshops looooooove the Iolite. Might be due to an aggressive marketing/distribution campaign on the manufacturers part...

nr-cole,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
EMaC said:
nr-cole said:
EMaC said:

Also, welcome!

Thanks for the info!

I figured this thing was safe, just needed a little reassurance from someone who's used it longer than the 3 days I've had it. I also read in a previous post that someone let it run for a while in a shoebox with a CO detector and the Iolite didn't set it off. I just couldn't believe a machine this great didn't come with any catches! Other than the fact it seems like a lot of people have issues with it not working properly. But I think most of that can be attributed to user error, as you said it's a very sensitive machine.

I was dead set on getting an SSV but the guy at my smoke shop talked me into the Iolite. At first I was certain I made the wrong choice but this thing definitely grew on me. I'm glad the guy was able to change my mind because it would have taken me that much longer, if ever, to realize how amazing a portable vape can be!

At first I was going to get the SSV and be done with it, just to please the roommate who doesn't like smoke. But getting the Iolite led me here which opened the door to the vape world for me and I don't think I'll ever combust again. So now I'm going back to get the SSV so I can have a vape for every occasion!

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated!
Sorry to break the news but hitting the ssv is gonna send you out looking for a portable that hits a bit heavier than the IO if you are into that sort of thing, the IO is the king of stealth imo but very far from the king of vapor quality versus other popular portables, after getting an MFLB and NO2 my IO sees very little use but I still love it for convenience and stealth when the time is right

SF Giant,

max

Out to lunch
SF Giant said:
Sorry to break the news but hitting the ssv is gonna send you out looking for a portable that hits a bit heavier than the IO if you are into that sort of thing ...
I'm into that sort of thing (I'm assuiming you mean higher temp hits) but still enjoy my iolite. Now if you're talking about big hits and not referring to the iolite's fixed temp, portables aren't known for being big hitters for the most part. If that's the priority with a portable, I'd just get a VaporGenie. If the iolite can't get you sufficiently fucked up, you need something with temp control.

max,

nr-cole

Just like anything else, and in my opinion more than with other vapes, technique with the Iolite is key. You can simply turn it on and puff on it casually and after twenty minutes or so you'll be feeling it, but if you want the big hits you've got to focus on having a super fine grind, let it have a couple heat cycles to itself, cover the air-intake vents with your hand, and take some long, stupidly slow hits. I've also had some success giving it a couple pre-puffs to get some air in the chamber like people are fond of doing with the PD.

My brother had his NO2 at the cottage a few weeks ago and while it was definitely easier for friends who didn't have the practice with the Iolite that I did to get big cloud from the NO2, I could easily match them using the above techniques. Maybe it's just the elitist in me, but I find the steeper learning curve very satisfying.

Also, my MFLB is on it's way so I'll be sure to post my own comparisons between those two as well :)

nr-cole,

EMaC

Technique, from what I've seen so far, is definitely important. I can get to the same place with an IO as I can with the SSV, just takes a little longer and is a little more work. The heavy hits aren't as important to me as the efficiency of the vape and it being able to get me where I want to be. The IO is just too much work for me to use on a daily basis. I want to get something that's going to be easier to use daily. The IO will still be my vape of choice for portables (unless this new wispr is able to outshine the IO). I'm going to have to try covering the air-intake vents and the pre-puffs, those are new to me!

EMaC,

nr-cole

EMaC said:
I'm going to have to try covering the air-intake vents and the pre-puffs, those are new to me!

Take care, it will get HOT in your hand when you do this. I guess what you change is the vapour - air ratio, which I've found leads to much thicker, more satisfying hits.

nr-cole,

HydroGOD

Ok, I just got my Iolite and some really good butane, maybe they will design a "flip up" mouth piece someday? I have used a vapor brothers for the last 11 years so needless to say I am used to thick heavy steam vapor pulls. I noticed by the 190 degree max temp I probably will never get that with this machine (unless you guys tell me how!) So I tried it out, it did get buzzed however, I seem to only be able to get one good hit per chamber. I have tried filling fuller and emptier, same condition. I have tried dense buds and airy buds, I have ground up real fine and left it in bud state, I have tried really moist bud, and really dry bud. I just seem to only get one good pull and then the chamber seems all vaped up. I am going thru bud much faster (i think) than using the brothers.

Is this just a one hit device?

This site ROCKS !!

hydroGOD.

HydroGOD,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
^^^ not at all buddy. Mine bowls can last for around half an hour (or more) of fairly regular puffs, depending on quality of the weed of course. Give it a good long time to heat up- like 15-20 mins to get optimal vapor. And maybe give it a minute or three between each hit to recover temps hit- that's generally how I hit mine- not consciously, rather just because I'm nnormally doing other things as well when I'm using this vape. But I do think it improves the hit quality. I also find that I can get much bigger, and apparently thicker, hits when using a whip (tube) with this vape- it's generally the only way I use it. I think the cooler temp with a whip allows a bigger inhale

Try the technique in the post above as well. Sounds good

WatTyler,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
HydroGOD said:
Ok, I just got my Iolite and some really good butane, maybe they will design a "flip up" mouth piece someday? I have used a vapor brothers for the last 11 years so needless to say I am used to thick heavy steam vapor pulls. I noticed by the 190 degree max temp I probably will never get that with this machine (unless you guys tell me how!) So I tried it out, it did get buzzed however, I seem to only be able to get one good hit per chamber. I have tried filling fuller and emptier, same condition. I have tried dense buds and airy buds, I have ground up real fine and left it in bud state, I have tried really moist bud, and really dry bud. I just seem to only get one good pull and then the chamber seems all vaped up. I am going thru bud much faster (i think) than using the brothers.

This site ROCKS !!

hydroGOD.
Its not that you are only getting one hit per bowl, ita just that you only get one or 2 nice tasty hits per bowl, after that its usually still good for somewhere in between 10 and 20 more hits, the hits just get weaker as you go

SF Giant,

nr-cole

SF Giant said:
HydroGOD said:

This site ROCKS !!

hydroGOD.
Its not that you are only getting one hit per bowl, ita just that you only get one or 2 nice tasty hits per bowl, after that its usually still good for somewhere in between 10 and 20 more hits, the hits just get weaker as you go

Bingo. The first couple hits are much easier to get solid ones out of but as you keep going technique (especially drawing very slowly and for a long time) becomes essential if you want clouds. You'll still be able to feel the stream of hot air hitting your tongue as you pull. Also as has been mentioned, if you're pulling constantly you will cool the bowl down, so it's best to give it some time between hits. Some people have reported that it is very effective to only pull when the machine is hissing as that it when heat is being applied to the bowl. Eventually you won't be getting much visible vapour at all. Some things you can try after ten minutes are to take the bowl out and stir your load up, or even put it back in the grinder and mash it up some more.

Like I've said, with technique and patience it is possible to get big rips out of the Iolite. However in general, it's better to think of the Iolite as a vape that you constantly have a thin stream of vapour coming from, as opposed to whip vapes or bags where you take a few massive hits to get stoned. After twenty minutes of sipping, you'll be messed up :)

nr-cole,

HydroGOD

"Give it a good long time to heat up- like 15-20 mins to get optimal vapor. "

do you mean with the chamber full or empty?

I have been a stoner for over 30 years, so please bare with me.

Once you turn the unit on, and push in the button, is the heat reaching the herb? or does it reach the herb after you suck and pull the heat to the herb like a vapor doc? I cant imagine leaving this unit on if the heat reaches the herb right away, that just makes it seem like it bakes away in there.

I can understand the theory of many small hits as opposed to one or two large ones. I am just trying to understand it all, I have only been using the unit for 6 hours, I feel quite medicated, but I think I went threw more herb than usual.

I love the concept. I am sure I will get it eventually.

HydroGOD,

max

Out to lunch
The iolite is producing vapor in a couple of minutes. Waiting 10 min. or more will get you a hotter temp (and bigger hits), just from ambient heat buildup, but you'll also be wasting herb, since conduction is going to be doing its thing during all that wait time. IMO waiting that long, to get bigger hits, is trying to make this model into something it isn't. If you load large, you'll still have herb to vape 15 min. or so down the road (and get those bigger hits), but I certainly wouldn't wait that long to hit it.

max,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Hydro,

Try this...start with making sure it is filled with butane. Loosely fill the cavity with the heat pin with finely ground herb (use dry herb) up to near the top, put the mouthpiece back on. I also like to use a foot of silicone tubing. Start the unit and watch for the glow to change from blue to orange. Once the initial heating cycle completes start taking sssssllllloooowwwwwww, llllooonnnnggggg draws. So slow it seems your not drawing at all. After a while when it seems spent give it a shake and a few taps and you shoud get a few more hits. My IO sessions last at least 20 minutes and get me royally ripped.

chucku,

HydroGOD

chucku said:
Hydro,

Try this...start with making sure it is filled with butane. Loosely fill the cavity with the heat pin with finely ground herb (use dry herb) up to near the top, put the mouthpiece back on. I also like to use a foot of silicone tubing. Start the unit and watch for the glow to change from blue to orange. Once the initial heating cycle completes start taking sssssllllloooowwwwwww, llllooonnnnggggg draws. So slow it seems your not drawing at all. After a while when it seems spent give it a shake and a few taps and you shoud get a few more hits. My IO sessions last at least 20 minutes and get me royally ripped.

On my way to the store for some tubing. Vaping is a major part of my life, in 1999 I was 80 lbs over weight, After vaping i got my life back was able to breath and now I am very athletic. However I am still a major stoner and require lots of vape in my brain. I will remain positive and not give up hope, thanks to this forum ima gonna get it, thank god herbs are free or I might of throw this thing out the window already,lol.

Thanks everyone for the help !

HydroGOD,

Heywilson

Hello everyone proud new Iolite owner. I must say this is a great device and it keeps me on the couch :ko: but i have a few questions

!. When my Iolite is going to through heating cycles it smells like the butane is being used but rather heavier than i thought. Is this normal?

2. How exactly do I use the hand tool to remove the screen and half circle thing?

Heywilson,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Heywison,
1. Probably, although I don't quite get what you mean. What is heavier- the smell? or the use? of what? But if it's cycling with the orange light it should be fine. No smell of butane (IMO), although the smell of the chamber heating is a bit stinky.

2. Take of the mouth piece and insert the small end of the tool in that hole on the chamber to push the screen down, out of the end. It's easier to do when warmed, ad you might need to push the open end of the chamber against the table or something at first to dislodge the screen it if it's caked in there. The metal part of the herb chamber may come lose from the plastic & ceramic part- that's not a problem and will happen eventually anyway IME. It only feels fixed in place when new.

WatTyler,
On #1: I've used two Iolites, an older model with removable bowl pin and a newer model in better shape with a permanent bowl pin. The older model always reeked of butane when it vented, but the newer white model always smelled very clean, just the tiniest scent of it and only if it was really right in your face - it also worked better generally than the first one. It might be a difference between Iolite generations, or general health of the unit, or something else. Some butane brands also smell more than other ones.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom