IOLITE 2.0 issues

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have a 9 year old one that still works on one or at worst 2 clicks..... I use it once a day.
I also have the beta model that I acquired from @stickstones a couple of years later (before they named it Iolite, it was "iInhale".. It still fires on a single click!
DSC05215.jpg

I also still use my WispR and my WispR-E (electronic version!)

OF

I have a 9 year old one that still works on one or at worst 2 clicks..... I use it once a day.

I too have one (not as old, maybe 4 or 5 years?) that doesn't see much use anymore but has 'used' a couple cans of gas (Vector, my preferred brand, they make premium lighters). No issues. The backup (small use) and loaner units (always with a can of Vector) which has unknown treatment also still fine.

FWIW I think the 'dump the gas' advice is dangerous. Granted it's the only way to purge junk gas should it be introduced, but if at all possible one shouldn't ever let vacuum or gas systems 'up to air'. Zero pressure invited dirt and more importantly water in. Just like your refrigerator or air conditioner (which are vacuum pumped thoroughly before charging specifically to remove water vapor) the tiniest bit of water will collect ('oil and water don't mix') and freeze in the port where the gas goes from liquid to vapor and really gum up the works. You can, if you're not careful, make things worse this way.

I weigh mine to ensure full fills. Therefore I also know when it's getting low on gas and refill before it runs out in use. The tank in mine has been at 'full pressure' since I got it. As long as any liquid remains, the pressure is the same, set by temperature. Weight tells the tale.

Inside the unit, your lighter, propane torch, camp lantern or whatever there's an aperture, tiny hole, where the gas is liquid at say 60 psi on one side of the hole, vapor at 'zero' (sea level) on the other. The flow is set by the pressure (to a minor degree) but mostly by the physical size of the hole. Any restriction here cuts the flow, unlike elsewhere like in the tank or tube. This means the system is very vulnerable to contamination. Far more than top end lighter since it's smaller.

An interesting and fun product IMO. Treated with respect (never run 'dry' and fed only clean fuel) it should last a very long time. And in the end, IMO, it's not that expensive given what you get, I'd replace mine should it fail and I had to break out the backup.

While it has a lot of naysayers, and there are better choices for 'daily drivers' and first vapes, IMO it's a useful device for those who appreciate such things.

Regards to all.

OF

Top Bottom