1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

I vaped moldy weed...

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by HappySam, Aug 16, 2014.

1. HappySam

HappySam New Member

So, yesterday I vaped moldy weed with my Indica 2. My friend and I were sharing a stash, and unbeknownst to me he had it stored in an airtight pill bottle with a wet paper towel stuffed on top of it - he claims after the fact that he thought the moisture would keep it 'dank'. It was stored in a cabinet in complete darkness, of course...

So he fills the vape. I take the first hit, and breathe it out pretty quickly. I remember thinking, "That's odd, the weed tastes a little funky today." I took one more hit to be sure that it wasn't my imagination, and then smelled our stash - had an ammonia-like smell, and upon further inspection mold was growing all over it. How my friend didn't notice this while grabbing/packing is beyond me.

So, I took two medium-size hits on a low heat setting. It is now the next morning and I feel fine for the most part, except for a little coughing + mucus - which may be just because I smoked with a bowl from another uncontaminated stash for the first time in a while after vaping. I do wonder, though, if the coughing could be due to the mold.

Obviously I didn't have an allergic reaction, but I wanted to know if there is anything else I should watch for in the next few days. Anyone vape moldy weed with negative effects? I'd don't want to hear any urban legends, or "I heard from my friend that blah blah blah happened" - just first-hand accounts. If I'm feeling relatively okay, would it be safe to say that I'm out of the danger zone?

Edit: The stash was apparently stored in the cabinet for a LONG TIME - like weeks.

Edit #2: Follow-up question: How would you guys recommend I clean my vape?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. lwien

lwien Well-Known Member

Considering all the shit that I put into my body and lungs over the years, you should be fine, but don't do that again.

3. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

I've probably done it a dozen times. An allergist even told me I had a mold allergy. Haven't had any kind of respiratory/bronchial infection in a very long time.

@HappySam

CarolKing and smokum like this.
  4. chris 71

chris 71 Well-Known Member

im a little Embarrassed to say this , but i once bought a half ounce of moldy weed knowing full well it was moldy, it was covered with it but it was dirt cheap lol.
    i smoked the whole thing. that was a long time ago maybe 14 years, i dont remember having any ill effects but i would never do this now smoke or vape, i cant belive some of the stupid things i used to do.
    anyway ya i think you will be ok but i wouldnt vape any more of it !! lol

5. OF

OF Well-Known Member

In the dark ages, I had a Chicano from LA as a college roomie. He claimed 'the cousins' back in Mexico called the mold 'the black death' (in Spanish of course). They would intentionally grow it as it made a more potent (condensed) final product. I didn't care for it, and didn't like sucking in a lot of concentrated spores (as must happen) but it didn't seem fatal, despite the name.

In those days all you could get was 'brick weed' for the most part, hash was rare, this was the substitute for his bunch. They'd sit up late passing the pipe filled with it around and around and saying nice things about Caesar Chavez. I'd join them, just to be polite.....

OF

steama, nopartofme and RUDE BOY like this.
  6. HillaryClinton

HillaryClinton Future ruler of earth

Yeah....when I think "The Black Death" I think of this:

[​IMG]

No thanks...You should never keep a wet tissue in it directly, I mean I have used a orange peel in the past, a couple hours only, thats if its way to dry. If you use moist paper, best way of going about it is multiple bags with the paper outside the herb bag if that makes sense.

[​IMG]

KidFated. likes this.
  7. al bundy

al bundy Vaporist

If it's in an airtight container I scrunch a Baggie on top of bud to keep as much air out as possible. My friend uses borito/soft taco shells to add moisture.or keep from drying out.
    I've used humidifier pack for loose tabaco or cigars with no problem.

8. slick

slick Nu member

Maybe a stupid question, but how obvious is it that thers mold? My stash has been smelling kind of off lately. But as far as a quick inspection reversals there's nothing new there. Is it as obvious as moldy fruit?

9. HillaryClinton

Most probably has a little bit, almost unavoidable, its an issue when you can see it because that means a large quantity.

nopartofme and OF like this.
  10. slick

slick Nu member

ew.... never thought of this but does vaping introduce more mold to your lungs then burning? I have to imagine that the higher temps in combustion are more likely to kill any mold vs vapping. Disclamer: I'm at work so I haven't gotten the chance to Google/ fact check.

11. HillaryClinton

Actually I think burning certain types of mold make it release even more toxins...if I remember correctly, gonna have to look into that again...

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors