How many times did you try MJ before you started getting off on it? I

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I ask because in the old days it took a few attempts before us guys experienced any effects, in my case it took about seven or eight tries, with reportedly good weed. This was back in '69.
I remember being asked, "are you sure you don't feel anything, this is pretty good shit."
Wonder if things are different today.
Yeah we used to call it "shit." It's still called shit, right?

jeffp,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
first time is hard to say...everything started spinning, but the alcohol poisoning that night probably helped a lot with that.

2nd time was pretty sweet, played N64 wave racer and couldn't keep track of the game at all.

rabblerouser,

Vapenstien's Monster

pretty certain first time was in the womb,....I can't remember, it was a long time ago.
MJ has pretty much always been a part of my life,.... I do remember possibly the "first time", My older brother couldn't have been more than 16 and me 9. He smoked one with me and I recall a picture of a old farmhouse on the wall. I kept asking who built the first house. Then laughter..

Vapenstien's Monster,

TerrorTurkey

yeah my group of friends says shit even if its the dank nugs

i remember getting pretty high my first time. i smoked 2 doobies of some nugs(unsure how good they really were, but later when i got a little more savvy i knew this guy always had good green) with some foreign exchange students from spain, and went in the house and i ate some frosted flakes, while using my laptop as a TV tray and spilled some milk on the laptop and ruined a few buttons. we were watching Ali G Indahouse and i thought it was the funniest thing i had ever seen.
kinda offtopic if anyone liked Borat, Ali G is the same guy, but IMO is much better. (he also did Bruno, but IMO that was bad)
"Jezzy, iz you wearing green? I knew it - you iz defected to the Iver Heath posse, innit? Come on - let's stab him! "
"No, no - wait! Me mum put me yellow top in the wash with me brother's blue football socks even though they ain't colourfast."
"All right. But you tell your mum, that in the ghetto, washing non-colourfast synthetics at 60 degrees could cost you your life... "

TerrorTurkey,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
The point is, it was KNOWN that you would not feel anything the first few times, that it takes a while for it to "hit you."
Shows you how times have changed, how the potency level has increased.
Yet because a nickel bag actually cost $5 and was enough to roll 10 healthy joints things were essentially in the same proportion that they are today.

jeffp,

vapirtoo

It was back in the 70's as a college freshman that the guys had
a small water pipe called Gerty. We would sit on this hill and toke and
toke , and I just couldn't feel the high , very poor mexican, mid level columbian.
Took me almost a month before some moldy alcupulco gold showed me the light.
For a while there my friends thought I was immune to the effects. :lol:

vapirtoo,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
At the same time MJ advocates proclaimed it was mild, similar to a glass of wine, nothing to get alarmed about. Well it's always been stronger than a glass of wine but MJ was less potent than it is now. I guess that is the reason it took many of us several attempts to feel anything but that can't be the whole story because once you felt it, from that point on you would feel it with a few hits just like we do now.

Why is this subject so infinitely interesting to us?

jeffp,

Purple-Days

Had to have been 1970 for my first few tries, nothing. :/ Several different episodes, different episodes different settings different shit.

1972 - Concert, couple of tokes as a joint passed, had to be good shit... got me in a world of trouble, as my narco cousins were right there, and were freaking out, but I didn't give a damn, I had the car keys... :D Aerosmith was warming up for Foghat in a theater with velvet seats. 3rd row... NOTHING . . . :mad:

1973 - It finally hit. :cool: :party:

I'm sure it was all good stuff, but it didn't activate my receptors. :2c:

I suppose MJ was weaker as an average, but I long for some (not all of the Columbian) and Panamanian and Thai and Gold we used to run into. Once in a while you got something special, rare, but it happened.

Purple-Days,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
My first time was a little initiation party. It was 1969. There were six of us who had been talking about trying it and we'd all done a lot of research because we were all super-paranoid. We talked about it a long time before we convinced each other it was safe and worth trying.

We contacted this long-haired hippy guy we knew and bought a quarter oz of Moroccan hash. Where I was in those days, grass was impossible to get but hash was common. I think I'd been smoking hash for over a year before I saw my first joint.

We cut off little chunks with a razor blade, put them on a pin, lit them with a lighter, and inhaled through the barrel of a ballpoint pen. Everybody got ripped. The only other time I ever saw six people laugh so much was the time a buddy of mine slipped some shrooms into the stew when we were camping, but that's another story.

Two things that probably influenced our outcome: the hash was really potent, and we had all done our homework so we were prepared and knew exactly what effects to expect. I've only busted a couple of other weed cherries, but each time I prepped the virgin with my copy of "A Child's Garden of Grass", and each time the newbie reported feeling quite stoned. I think knowing exactly what to look for makes a big difference, and then psychological feedback takes care of the rest.

pakalolo,

george

I took me until my second try until i felt the actual "high" that we all know.

First time i smoked, i was sitting on a bed in my friends room while smoking, then when i got up i was really dizzy. That was the only thing i really felt.

Mind you this was only 4 or 5 years ago, and i believe the weed was atleast of decent quality.

george,

Egzoset

Banned
This topic takes many of us way back in their past, for me it's the college years.

At first i didn't begin by smoking MJ, one could say i've always had a love affair with hashish instead but i guess that's close enough.

What's peculiar about my story is that i was looking for a sedative in order to relax for the exam period. It took a while until i attempted to stay awake after smoking, a dozen times perhaps. Once there i was hooked though.

Egzoset,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
First time I didn't feel anything because no one told me what the hell a rush or carb was and how to use it, so yeah...

After that I tried a steamroller with some white widow. Needless to say I was so stoned I actually thought Family Guy was funny :o

aesthyrian,

Nycdeisel

yea we still use the term 'shit' even for good stuff, I just hope some people are not offended by that.
I only needed to try it once or twice(via smoking) before I really felt a high break through.

Nycdeisel,

Pappy

shmaporist
First try! Can still smell the Panama Red and Acapulco Gold I smoked as a kid. People underestimate how good pot was in the 60s.

Pappy,

djonkoman

I think it was my 6th time or so that I first noticed an effect, and still I didn't notice it at first(I thought I was just havng a good time because 2 of the 3 friends I was with, both stoned, were acting so goofy, only on my way home on my bike I realized i was high, not really high, but definatly high)
and after that had a reverse tolerance(over time I needed less to get high, untill it stabilized)
my first time high was btw also from my first joint that I rolled myself, it was from weed I grew myself and it was y first pure joint(here, in the netherlands, it's common to roll joints witgh tobacco and weed mixed in it)

djonkoman,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Took me good half a dozen tries. After first try had no effect i thought "this is stupid, waste of time and money." and went off and chugged my vodka and rum lol. a few years passed and i started hanging out with a friend who had a bunch of stoner friends so i kept getting continually offered it. I would take them up on it sometimes, pass it up others because i still hadnt got any effect. At first they were all insisting that i was smoking it wrong, so we used different methods like dry/wet pipes and joints and blunts, and they watched me take big hits the proper way and still not feel anything. I could light up a cigarette or a cigar (something i was really into back then because they went hand and hand with my rum) and get a nic buzz just about any time of day though.

Then, late on xmas night that year, i did a couple of them a favor and drove them to a town about 30 miles away in the middle of a blizzard so that they could spend their xmas money on a bag. It ended up that the dude had sold out of bags already and rolled up what he had left because it was his personal, but he sold us half a dozen of them. I remember we didnt want to spark them until we got home because of how bad the storm was and the fact that we passed multiple cops and were followed by at least one for a while. I remember being able to smell them from in the bag in my friends pocket. The stuff i had smoked previous was all supposedly good stuff, and it sure got my friends retarded, but this was the first that had any effect on me. We got inside from that blizzard, poured some holiday spiced rum and coke drinks, and the rest just good times. I remember we had the door shut to the one room we were in and my cat was sticking his arm under the door and waving it around wildly, with his stiff, awkward, cat elbow, and we all were laughing so hard about it that we nearly passed out.

So, even though i'm an atheist and perhaps a bit of a scrooge, i still have fond memories attached to the holiday season. Thanks largely, if not exclusively, to MJ :lol:

steiner666,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If it took many of us several tries to feel anything and we did so because of the promise of "getting off" from our friends, then how did pot smoking begin and what do you think was the motivation of the original pioneers who determined that cannabis was something to smoke even though they probably also didn't feel anything?

jeffp,

SmokingElectricity

@ steiner666

LOL. I agree with you on the religious aspect. but as i get older i appreciate spending time with my family during the holidays. [only 31] nice to get blazed out with some cousins i rarely see.

SmokingElectricity,

RichRas

Took me 6 days, 2 edibles/day, before they finally kicked in. It took my brother two days, and my sister only one time to feel it from the same batch. Each edible contained active ingredient from an equivalent .03g bowl.

RichRas,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
masbanji92 said:
Took me like 3 months, who knows what I was doing wrong.... >_>

did you inhale? kidding..

i'm interested in knowing if those who got off the first time had their first MJ experience in recent years, or if any got off the first time in the sixties or seventies.

jeffp,

crawdad

floatin
first time i inhaled was when i knew this was something i would be making a ritual of, it clicked pretty quick for me. started out feeling very much aware of all around me, very focused on anything that i thought of or discussions around me. i was very fluid in my discussions and quite to the point, no rambling or taking long to think about what i was going to say which is normal for me when down. the overall feeling was that of "being connected".

after that i started really taking my time when getting high and paying special care to the situation and setup of what is around me so that i can let my mind wonder uncontrolled or undisturbed and ive had some of the most memorable personal moments this way.

now that i've tried different strains i can tell you that the very first herb i tried and continue to use now is pretty potent sativa, i think that has made a bit of a difference.

crawdad,
Top Bottom