Horrible tasting bud... what can I do?

HSIHP

I live in a non-medical state and am at mercy of what every I can find at what ever time. I usually have two go to people who generally have pretty good bud but since they were out I had to try someone new. I bought my usual amount, enough for a month, only to find that while it looks pretty good and smells only OK, it tastes worse than anything I have ever had before (and thats saying something). Never in my smoking or vaping "career" have I ever had to stop a session because of taste until a few days ago.

My question is, what can I do about it? I have already checked for mold as it was pretty moist when I got it but found none. I also dried it out as much as I could and let it sit in a jar in my closet for a few days to give it a bit more cure time but today when I opened to smell it it literally made me gag. I even tried combusting to try to hide the flavor but it was still unbareble. Ideally I would like to be able to vape it and not have to cook with it. Anyone have any ideas to loose this taste?

mod note: Opened in wrong forum, moved.

HSIHP,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
A shame your not in a position (so it sounds), to just get some more elsewhere which would allow you to attempt a longer dry, and a cure with jar burping (at least a few weeks), to see if it flavors up with what you've got.

Only things I can think of from a money crop is a bad flush, mold or mite shit, or just rushed to market without a decent cure.

We've all been there at some point ;)

smokum,

HyDroid

Riding on a cloud...
What does it smell like?

Rotting, meat, and carrion smells can be caused by bacteria, which might be invisible to the eye. Smoking such herb could be unsafe under certain conditions; not sure about vaping.

Is it a strain that is bitter and astringent? I've had a strain whose terpenes smelled like mosquito repellent, totally nasty, but I know it was uncontaminated. If this is the case, you can put it in the oven at 200 F for 20 minutes or so to get rid of the non-active volatiles. You could even try 150 F first to minimize losses. I've done this and it makes the scent of bud totally neutral.

HyDroid,

darkrom

Great Scott!
iso wash it or BHO. Turn that shit into hash so it is tolerable. Or dry ice sift it, bubble hash etc. The point is you should make it into hash.

darkrom,
Reactions: OF

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
You could completely kill all taste by doing a water cure.

I'd figure any hash will still contain trace amount of the terrapins, if that's what is causing the taste.

Tweak,

HSIHP

ITYM terpenoids. Terrapins are turtles. I sure hope they're not causing the bad taste.

Pak, this just about made me piss my pants laughing. I think I will try the oven method since this I was already thinking about turning it into butter anyway. If that doesn't work I will have already decarbed it.

The funny thing about the smell/taste is that I have never experienced anything like it. I can't place it for the life of me.

Thanks for the move mods! I reek of noob as much as my shitty buds. :p

HSIHP,
Reactions: Kief

HSIHP

If this is the case, you can put it in the oven at 200 F for 20 minutes or so to get rid of the non-active volatiles. You could even try 150 F first to minimize losses. I've done this and it makes the scent of bud totally neutral.

So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try this. I'll start around 175 just to see if that takes away enough awful taste. If this does not work though, would I need to decarb it more before I cook with it?

HSIHP,

djonkoman

it could also be the drying location, once some of my friends had a jar full of weed that tasted bad since it was dried in a barn, so it had that typical barn-smell, no taste or smell of weed remaining. I think that jar is still wandering around somewhere halffull, we didn't pay anything for it so it was just a jar of free weed, so we just bought other bettertasting weed(the barn-weed came from one of their familymembers who had grown a few plants)

djonkoman,

dannkk

I think I would try a water cure in that situation. Takes a week, but the water should leech out the taste.

dannkk,

smokum

Here is an article on the subject...... http://www.hailmaryjane.com/wisdom-wednesday-water-curing-your-weed/

Noteworthy mention in that link:

"What about already dried buds/shwag/moldy buds?
Many have reported success in re-curing nasty buds of one kind or another. Dry schwag that is still in a nugg-ish form can be water-cured. DO NOT USE MOLDY BUDS! Make bubble hash with moldy buds."

I've never tried water curing myself, but many have.

smokum,

OF

iso wash it or BHO. Turn that shit into hash so it is tolerable. Or dry ice sift it, bubble hash etc. The point is you should make it into hash.

A good idea if it's naturally bad tasting. OTOH, it could also be chemicals best avoided like insecticides. I tend to think conversion to hash won't do anything to protect the user in such cases.

The dark side of the Black Market for sure (not sure there's a bright side short of 'better than noting'). The best 'fix' is of course legal access to tested herb. Once out of the shadows, the free market takes over and Capitalism gives us good choices at competitive prices. My condolences to those reduced to the street.

ITYM terpenoids. Terrapins are turtles. I sure hope they're not causing the bad taste.

Come on, Pak, admit it, you're only guessing here. I mean exactly how many turtles have you smoked, let alone vaped? I understand the kiddie stunt of turtle licking is to be avoided (bad infections happen, a real problem....), likewise kissing is to be discouraged, unless they're the large pastel colored Ninja kind......

OF

Well put OF. although I have access to good quality meds, I will occasionally pick up from a 'street' level dealer I've known since HS - when his prices are good.

kingofnull,

HSIHP

So I have asked a few of my friends who have grown to take a look at it. They said that the smell is nothing they remember that resembles bacteria or mold. Like I thought, they concluded it was a curing problem so there is really nothing that can be done for taste (I don't think I am courageous to try a water cure).

I'm probably gonna make those coconut capsules from the "cooking with" section of the forum. I've made them before with ABV so hopefully this time they will have a bigger kick. On a side note, after much hunting I found a new supplier who even lives 5 mins away! I finally have decent bud to enjoy my Pax with on a trip I'm taking tomorrow. :D

HSIHP,

smokum

If that's the case HSIHP, then try drying the first batch out more and start your jar cure. You'd be surprised what a long decent cure can do for flavor (just remember to be doing it in a dark/cool area) ;)

smokum,

HSIHP

If that's the case HSIHP, then try drying the first batch out more and start your jar cure. You'd be surprised what a long decent cure can do for flavor (just remember to be doing it in a dark/cool area) ;)

I did dry it out pretty well. I just put it on a tray and had a fan blow over it for about 2 days. Its pretty dry now and I probably will just leave it in a jar in my closet until the next time I make a batch of brownies in about 3 weeks. If it smells/tastes any better I'll probably just keep it for vaping, otherwise into the brownies they go.

HSIHP,
Top Bottom