Discontinued Hopper io

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
https://verdampftnochmal.de/products/de/Grasshopper-Akku

If Someone needs batteries, i just ordered 3... will see how well they perform

Edit: GHB 2
I believe these are most likely just batteries that have been sitting on a shelf for too long. I believe these were discussed back in October but the shop was never named, I assumed at the time that it was this shop.

About that.... just recently bought a pair of new batteries which make me wonder if they're the right thing... they are more shiny than all previous 8 batts I have here, which all are more of a matte finish. Also, they nearly weigh a gram less (like all my previous batts are 20 - 20.1 gr, these new ones are like 19.2 and 19.3) and they act just like very old batteries. One let the bar graph in my XTAR VC2 be spinning up and down for a minute before it really started charging, both don't keep half the load all my other batts do. The hopper would start showing batt life lights after one bowl, when I put it in the charger it would show like 70% power while it doesn't heat up shit and the hoppers backend gets hot to touch, as I said, just like old, shitty batteries What gives, any idea?

A german retailer who seemingly always had them in store for the last couple months. As I'm actually in doubt what the deal is here, I'm hesitant to announce the shop name, but there aren't that many in the market anyway. It's a pretty well-known shop so I don't actually think they're screwing customers, but could image they'd been screwed. Have there been problems with a certain batch of batteries? Have there been counterfeit batteries in the market?

Was hoping to get some input from @Hopper Labs ...

The batteries are likely from an older batch that the retailer seems to have in stock. We have sold them all over the world, so it is not unlikely that someone has a few in a retail store. None of the new ones are available at this time, none have been shipped to any retailers.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Batteries arriving this week, who's excited?:brow::love::wave:
I’ll believe it when I see them. I’ve been waiting effectively an entire year for new ones though, honestly, I’ve been using 2 out of 5 I received and used (no issues) just prior to the fire in which HL recommended we not use them and dispose of them properly. Legacy and io units alike could use this battery infusion soon (like yesterday). Keep the io reviews and comments coming - I’m lurking ;):peace:.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
but that's strange that the German retailer suddenly has batteries and even Hopper Labs doesn't have any. I know that the German store had no Hopper batteries for sale recently
We think the batteries may be pretty old stock. I agree maybe not good practice (if this is the case) on the part of the retailer, but on the other hand, as batteries have been virtually unobtainable, the old stock batteries I got a few months ago when HL was offering to some folks (recent warranty recipients) have served me very adequately. My repaired og would not even reach temp with my older "okay" batteries --even while older og's were functional with the older batts.

I'm afraid there may be a couple of folks in for temporary disappointment upon getting their sans-battery io and finding their 'good' batteries aren't quite enough.

Edit;
Just looked back a liitle and see that @abracadaver already finds himself in this pickle! Sucks.

With good luck, we may be out of the woods on this whole issue soon!

ssrrosey

The whole no-battery IO thing is frustrating me. They said batteries would arrive in 7-10 days, but if we wanted our IO right away without waiting we could forfeit our battery. I agreed to that but the vape wasn’t shipped until yesterday. If they had said I could wait 6 days and get no battery or 7 days and get a GH3 I obviously would have waited an extra day. Feel a bit scammed here, especially when I’ve been charged an extra $160 on my iO purchase and they have yet to fix it and ignore that portion of any email I’ve sent. Love the GH but hopper labs is frustrating to work with

Michel

Seeing they're STILL selling those buggers, I believe I can confirm it's actually the very same. They immediately gave me my money back which is fairly unusual for batteries and didn't even offer me a replacement. By now they really should know somethings wrong with those batteries.

Would be to good to be true, I’ll keep everyone updated when the batteries arrives.

freshly baked

Speaking on batteries... I have 2. 1 is an og and 1 I received recently with a warranty hopper. There's been a few times I took them both off the charger when finished only to have 1 show blue for 5 sec then go to red. I take out the battery, cuss a little then replace it and try it again in disbelief it could be dead. On the 2nd try it works normally as if it needed a little warm up. I'll get 6 or 8 good rips through the orbiter with it afterwards. If your battery is cold but fully charged and shows red earlier than it should, give it a try. I started with 5 batteries in 2016 and now down to 2. If the hopper hadn't been in warranty off and on for 3 1/2 years I'm sure I'd been without any myself by now.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Speaking on batteries... I have 2. 1 is an og and 1 I received recently with a warranty hopper. There's been a few times I took them both off the charger when finished only to have 1 show blue for 5 sec then go to red. I take out the battery, cuss a little then replace it and try it again in disbelief it could be dead. On the 2nd try it works normally as if it needed a little warm up. I'll get 6 or 8 good rips through the orbiter with it afterwards. If your battery is cold but fully charged and shows red earlier than it should, give it a try. I started with 5 batteries in 2016 and now down to 2. If the hopper hadn't been in warranty off and on for 3 1/2 years I'm sure I'd been without any myself by now.
Yes, removal/replacement of back end can be a "quick fix" to get to blue instead of early red. Or the ol' spin the temp dial a couple of times, but I do find the r/r to help get it back hopping some more. Yes, this can happen with a freshly charged battery or with a partially spent one.
We do a lot of screwing and unscrewing with hoppers A lot.
But this is og lore and maybe should be in that thread...

Vaporific

Speaking of threads, and perhaps too soon with the io and a dearth of fresh batteries and mainly older ones, how are the backend threads doing on the io? I read the frontend threads were improved and fewer than OG Hopper, fewer turns to tighten. What about the io backend? Anyone notice residue buildup on the backend threads or different threading? :peace:

EDIT: perhaps since batts are scarce at the moment, folks aren’t removing the backend as often and charging the batt in the Hopper itself? Just curious to see what the overall experience is with the backend on the io. Cheers.

Last edited:

fogbank

Honestly the grasshopper isn't stealthy in a way that matters. Could it pass as a pen, sure? But a lot of people would see a pen like that and immediately ask about it. It looks more like a "conversation starter" pen, not a bic you use everyday. Secondly, after use, it reeks. If you're using this thing in public, people can smell it on you. They might be polite, but they can smell it.

The click is loud, the lights are bright. On top of that if you use the standard tip without the silicone cover it's unbearably hot after a couple hits, so you either use the silicone or the PFE, both of which make it look like it's not a pen.

People have seen my grasshopper and said "Oh wow is that a vape?" Nobody has assumed it's actually a pen.

I really could not disagree more with the statement "the grasshopper isn't stealthy in a way that matters". For me it is easily the most stealthy of all vapes that I've owned over the last 10 years.

I keep it in a leather sleeve when not in use:

https://www.amazon.com/Aston-Leather-Single-Holder-Sleeve/dp/B0038I25IQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=4QB6GXGVNBZ1&dchild=1&keywords=aston+leather+pen+case&qid=1587593149&sprefix=Ashton+leat,aps,220&sr=8-2

The small and slim form factor makes it easy to carry around in my pocket. It produces zero odor when in use (not counting the odor of your exhaled vapor). It has never combusted on me. It heats up in 4-5 seconds and produces plenty of vapor during an 8-10 second draw. It does not "reek" at all for me (keeping it in the leather sleeve probably helps with odor too). Even outside of the leather case my Hoppers don' "reek".

All of these things make it very stealthy for me. They just don't make it stealthy for you I guess.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I really could not disagree more with the statement "the grasshopper isn't stealthy in a way that matters". For me it is easily the most stealthy of all vapes that I've owned over the last 10 years.

I keep it in a leather sleeve when not in use:

https://www.amazon.com/Aston-Leather-Single-Holder-Sleeve/dp/B0038I25IQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=4QB6GXGVNBZ1&dchild=1&keywords=aston+leather+pen+case&qid=1587593149&sprefix=Ashton+leat,aps,220&sr=8-2

The small and slim form factor makes it easy to carry around in my pocket. It produces zero odor when in use (not counting the odor of your exhaled vapor). It has never combusted on me. It heats up in 4-5 seconds and produces plenty of vapor during an 8-10 second draw. It does not "reek" at all for me (keeping it in the leather sleeve probably helps with odor too). Even outside of the leather case my Hoppers don' "reek".

All of these things make it very stealthy for me. They just don't make it stealthy for you I guess.
You raise an interesting point. Stealth isn’t necessarily just about form factor. To be honest I don’t care at all that the Grasshopper/io looks like a pen. It’s kind of a nice bonus but I don’t need that. I do like the small size and wouldn’t want it any larger, it just doesn’t necessarily have to look like a pen. The PFE takes care of this too...

My idea of a stealthy vaporizer is one that is small and discreet, yes, but more importantly it has to be fast and powerful enough to sneak away for one or two quick strong hits, and it has to cool fast enough to put it back in my pocket immediately after hitting it. It has to be regulated and have no risk of combustion, once there is smoke all stealth is gone.

Even a very stealthy vaporizer can be figured out upon close inspection. I’m looking for the vaporizer that allows me to medicate in a stealthy fashion and so far the Grasshopper has done that job the best. The quicker heat up of the Hopper io should help a tiny bit with that, but if it can extract significantly faster I could get by with fewer draws and cut my stealth session time in half from 40 seconds to 20 seconds. :hmm: :sherlock:

Michel

Got the batteries yesterday. They are obviously from an old batch. I would estimate they are same age like the originals I got some years ago with the OG hopper. GHB 2 for sure and the wrapping doesn’t look shiny any more.

Uridium

I feel we are so close now I can taste the vapour.
I have some OG Cush finishing off nicely so I can’t wait.

@Grasshopper Vape can we please have an update on the ETA for colour versions.

I ordered a blue one.

have been waiting for my grasshopper for over a year now!!!
Sep 8 2018 it was sent off for RMA!

I just want my healthy bong rips back please!

Lahey

Cruisin'
Those who want to get their Hopper io shipped out now without a battery see below. If you requested an "early shipping unit" via PM you must also now do this:

1. You must have a completed order for a hopper io Stainless Steel or Titanium. Order one as normal now if you want to do this but don't have an order.
2. Compose an email to support@thehopper.io with the subject "Hopper io - early shipping"
3. In the body have the email address of your Hopper account and your order number
4. If you choose to have it shipped now we won't ship you a battery later.

Batteries are on track to arrive in 7-12 days. Will keep you updated. Hopper io's are sitting ready to ship!

That was on April 14th, and my main takeaways were “[t]hose who want to get their Hopper io shipped out now...” and “[h]opper io's are sitting ready to ship!

So I took the bait and requested early shipping that same day, April 14th, thinking it was going to fly out the door. I didn’t feel great about forfeiting the battery, but I was ok with it if it meant my unit would be expedited.

On April 16th I got this response from HL: “Thanks for contacting us. Okay we will add you to the shipping list.” Haven’t heard anything since, so I emailed them for follow up just now (April 23rd):

Did this ship? Batteries were “on track to arrive in 7-12 days” 9 days ago. If it hasn’t shipped yet, and if batteries are still on track to arrive in that timeframe, then please cancel my early shipping request.

Are batteries still on track to arrive in that timeframe?
It could be that it shipped and was never scanned by USPS, though I think there still would have been a notification when the label was created. More likely it slipped through the cracks, an honest mistake. We’ll see what they say.

I am very curious to see if the batteries really do arrive this week or if delays are announced.

Vaporific

Quick Update:

Sorry I have been swamped with a ton of stuff this last week.

A small batch of batteries is complete and is being set to us. Shipping has been difficult because none of the flights out of CN/HK want to accept anything but medical goods right now (a good thing). We are in line to get them over here but it is taking longer than normal. Still should be enough time for the April shipping. We are ready to ship, just need the batteries.

Glad those with the io are enjoying it and giving feedback. We are listening.

img_8917.c682dd9362f5.jpeg
So where are these anyway? And why isn’t GBH3 not proudly and prominently displayed? Kinda odd to me not showing this. For all I know these are GBH2s. This was weeks ago and your last post to the thread was at least a week ago.

I’m not necessarily Peter pessimistic but April is coming to a close quick and nary any further update on batteries for the many, much less the lucky few early io adopters. The batteries are killing me and a constant thorn in my side :2c::peace:

Lahey

Cruisin'
That was on April 14th, and my main takeaways were “[t]hose who want to get their Hopper io shipped out now...” and “[h]opper io's are sitting ready to ship!

So I took the bait and requested early shipping that same day, April 14th, thinking it was going to fly out the door. I didn’t feel great about forfeiting the battery, but I was ok with it if it meant my unit would be expedited.

On April 16th I got this response from HL: “Thanks for contacting us. Okay we will add you to the shipping list.” Haven’t heard anything since, so I emailed them for follow up just now (April 23rd):

Did this ship? Batteries were “on track to arrive in 7-12 days” 9 days ago. If it hasn’t shipped yet, and if batteries are still on track to arrive in that timeframe, then please cancel my early shipping request.

Are batteries still on track to arrive in that timeframe?
It could be that it shipped and was never scanned by USPS, though I think there still would have been a notification when the label was created. More likely it slipped through the cracks, an honest mistake. We’ll see what they say.

I am very curious to see if the batteries really do arrive this week or if delays are announced.

Response from HL this morning (April 23rd):

"Thanks for contacting us. We are expecting the batteries to arrive within the net 7 days. I will hold your unit [sic]"

That's what she said! :rofl:

Response was quick, but it looks like they spent all of ten seconds drafting this email. That's fine; I'm sure they are needed in the shop, but a better CS response would have started with "we're sorry we forgot (?) to ship your order," and ended with "here's what we are doing to make it up to you." In reality, HL doesn't owe me anything other than an IO on their timeline and an honest estimate of what that timeline is. We were told and then reassured that pre-orders would ship in April. Given that the batteries are now expected to arrive "within the next 7 days" (that's by April 30th), that seems unlikely.

Top Bottom