Discontinued Hopper io

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
@Hopper Labs sorry to bug but it feels like its been a minute since your last post in here, any news on batteries or anything of note? :)
Two weeks and a day by my account. And we’re two days away from May and I’m wondering too when batteries will be sent to those who ordered them and need replacements for the ones shipped out before the HL fire - the same ones HL recommended we NOT use and dispose of properly.

Batteries, batteries, batteries... :bang::bang: Likely the one reason I won’t order an io yet even though I really want one (and money is no object at the moment but it’s the principle, just saying) :peace:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I’m wondering where you got this information from. Did you measure this temp yourself? Every piece of hopper IO literature says the max temp is 430 F. Additionally you say 20 degree increments, which I agree, but 302 doesn’t factor into 446 by 20. Really confused by this claim.
It’s in the user manual, the third pic on my initial post after receiving the Hopper io. It is hard to read because the hosting site compresses it quite a bit. Your manual should say the same thing. I don’t usually read the manual but sometimes it helps. :lol:

If you read closely you will notice I said 20°C increments, as in Celsius.

Here is a close up pic of both manuals for those without an io:
111-AA8-C9-22-F4-4-E7-C-9729-9-E3173-AED0-A6.jpg

ssrrosey

It’s in the user manual, the third pic on my initial post after receiving the Hopper io. It is hard to read because the hosting site compresses it quite a bit. Your manual should say the same thing. I don’t usually read the manual but sometimes it helps. :lol:

If you read closely you will notice I said 20°C increments, as in Celsius.

Here is a close up pic of both manuals for those without an io:
111-AA8-C9-22-F4-4-E7-C-9729-9-E3173-AED0-A6.jpg
Very interesting. First off I did just misread the 20 degree increments as being F. Interestingly though on the thehopper.io it does say explicitly 430 degrees F, but you’re also correct that 230 C is 446 F and 230 C was stated several times. Essentially they’ve just stated the max temp to be two different temperatures. @Hopper Labs what is the real max temp?

hopperhead

Does anyone know the purpose of the 3 raised prongs on the back end of the unit where the batter contact is? Does it float over the center and the battery touches the 3 points?

JCat

Accessory Maker
Does anyone know the purpose of the 3 raised prongs on the back end of the unit where the batter contact is? Does it float over the center and the battery touches the 3 points?
You got it. It's the "self-cleaning" back-end (I assume these 3 contacts cause enough friction to keep the points and the battery contact clean ...)

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Yes, the 3 points make contact with the battery. Hopper Labs has mentioned that they are self-cleaning.
• New battery contact with self-cleaning prongs
Raised bumps with squared-off edges scrape the surface between the contact and battery when you turn the dial or unscrew the backend. The many Grasshopper units we saw after use showed build up in this area. Any amount of debris or gunk in this area will drastically affect performance and battery life. The new contacts greatly reduce the prevalence of this problem.

Last edited:

Guest399

I pre-ordered a hopper and it is my first hopper. I will definitely never vape with a bong just pure.

My question to all the old Grasshopper users, has anyone ever used a silicone mouthpiece because the front end gets too hot, or is the money for the $ 20 wasted on the 5 pieces I ordered?
then I take a leather sleeve for the money?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
My question to all the old Grasshopper users, has anyone ever used a silicone mouthpiece because the front end gets too hot, or is the money for the $ 20 wasted on the 5 pieces I ordered?
I think 5 pieces is probably overkill. At most I would say try one to see if you like it. Most people do find the need for extra cooling with the Grasshopper, but most don’t like the silicone tip. It doesn’t help that much with the heat and it gets sticky quickly. Some people like to use the PFE with a drip tip from an e-cig store.

I’m unusual because I use my Grasshopper with no extra cooling most of the time. I have experienced a very hot frontend for several reasons; malfunctioning hoppers, loose screens, dirty front end threads, etc. When that happens I find it impossible to use natively, it gets scorching hot almost instantly. I wonder if some people received a malfunctioning device and assumed that’s how they all worked.

With all of the refinements made to the Hopper io, the mouthpiece does seem to stay cooler. I’ve only had the io for a day so take that with a grain of salt. I have a feeling a lot more people will be able to use the io natively and I’m looking forward to hearing more reports once more devices and hopefully batteries make it out there.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Interestingly though on the thehopper.io it does say explicitly 430 degrees F, but you’re also correct that 230 C is 446 F and 230 C was stated several times.
You have a good point, I looked at the website and they are all over the place.

DAD4-AE62-6216-4-A9-E-A1-D2-24-CEF71748-BB.jpg
In this first picture there are two completely different temperature ranges listed:
130-230C = 266-446F
104-221C = 220-430F

180-230C = 356-446F
And then just a little further down the page, we have a new temp range:
3-E8-A3-D6-F-80-D6-4471-965-C-5-EC36-F0-D8-DAC.jpg

The one constant is that when the temperature is listed in Celsius on the website and manual the maximum is always 230°C. I’m guessing that is the true max temp and the rest are typos. It would be nice to get some official confirmation. I don’t want to make it more confusing but we also have this statement to contend with:
Hopper io --- io = instant on
  • Zero heat-up time. Click it, and it is ready to use right away
  • Temp high end is now 430f/221c

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yes, all over the place.
I just ordered an instant-on, on-demand dry herb convection vape slightly larger than a pen. I just learned about it today and had to try it.
I paid just under $56 US, new, out the door, shipped.
Other members are saying some good things about it.
VLEAF Go is the name

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
(using new "China" batt from last Fall)
from full to blinking low: 4 chambers

Went native for this test, at 4 on dial
Three sets of 12-15 second draws per chamber

This afternoon I began an io battery life test
One 35 second draw, at 4 on dial... Um... WTF!?... Was not expecting this... 11th chamber... HL, please explain. Did you tune it for long draws? Or some pact with the devil?
This almost makes sense, 12 draws vs. 11 draws per battery. What doesn’t make sense is that the total runtime is roughly twice as long and the total number of chambers has nearly tripled!

So far this has lined up very closely with my own experience. The Hopper io really seems like it’s tuned for longer draws. The only difference is my batteries are 20 months old, but who’s counting anyways. :lol:

I tested my best battery at temp 4 with a single 25-30 second draw per chamber. I finished 6 chambers and the io entered low power mode during the last chamber. I still got full extraction. I could have probably got at least one more chamber before the battery died but I’m not trying to push these old batteries too far.

With the OG Grasshopper I swapped my battery after 2 chambers. With a fresh battery I could almost squeeze 3 chambers but not quite. That was with 3-4 draws per chamber at 15-20 seconds each. My OG with the old battery can just barely squeeze out 2 chambers before the blinking reds. I tried the io the same way for the first 2 chambers with slightly improved performance. Then I embraced one-hitter mode and the full potential is now apparent. Six chambers is beyond what I ever expected and that is with sub-par batteries.

I like the new low power mode too. It’s nice to have some warning when your battery is getting low. It also seems like it will help diagnose battery health. It says in the manual it enters low power mode if the battery is low, old, or if the air temperature is cold. I have 4 batteries, one of which I took out of rotation because it didn’t seem to extract fully. When I put it in my io fully charged it entered low power mode almost as soon as I started to draw. I didn’t even bother trying to use it at that point but I plan on revisiting it, maybe it can fully extract at least one chamber which it can’t do in my OG.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
They replied to my request on the 26 as well but no hopper yet :(
I’ve had very inconsistent performance from the post office since this virus hit, don’t worry, you should hopefully get it soon. I never received a shipping notice or tracking number, just the email from Hopper Labs on 4/26 saying they would ship it right away. Then I checked the mail a couple days later and found a pleasant surprise!

ssrrosey

I’ve had very inconsistent performance from the post office since this virus hit, don’t worry, you should hopefully get it soon. I never received a shipping notice or tracking number, just the email from Hopper Labs on 4/26 saying they would ship it right away. Then I checked the mail a couple days later and found a pleasant surprise!
I found my tracking number under my order info. It was never emailed to me

also just for comparison my battery life hasn’t been nearly that good, maybe 8 pulls/charge which is about 4 bowls for me

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I found my tracking number under my order info. It was never emailed to me

also just for comparison my battery life hasn’t been nearly that good, maybe 8 pulls/charge which is about 4 bowls for me
It looks like your battery life is better, you just have to embrace one hit per chamber to fully realize it. I would love to get 4 bowls with the OG, even that is a large improvement for most people and you did that on the io with old batteries.

In my best test I only got 6 pulls/charge although I suspect I could get 7. That’s one hitter mode so I got 6 chambers. My initial two temp-step tests gave me 2 chambers before low power mode at which point I changed batteries. That was also 6 hits, 3 per chamber. The difference was I was temp stepping and taking shorter hits instead of one long hit.

ChooChooCharlie

@Vapor_Eyes - Looks like you also are getting a roughly 40% increase in run time with the new io. Swapping batteries like this and timing draws makes it easy to verify HopperLabs' claim

I originally thought the io was "tuned" for longer draws with my 11 chamber result, but after running same test on an older unit with same batt I got 8. (I believe the io lasts longer with less current loss through better contacts and more accurate/consistent power/temp mgmt chip)

Long one-hitter draws are like better gas mileage on highway vs stop 'n go traffic? Takes extra juice every time you click on -- one hitter draws only need one click on thruster. How's that for stoner logic

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I originally thought the io was "tuned" for longer draws with my 11 chamber result, but after running same test on an older unit with same batt I got 8. (I believe the io lasts longer with less current loss through better contacts and more accurate/consistent power/temp mgmt chip)
That was going to be my next test, thanks for saving me the trouble. :tup:

I remember people posting similar results back in the day with the OG Grasshopper but I was set in my ways and perhaps a bit skeptical as well. I’m no longer skeptical and I’m excited to run the same test with some fresh GHB3s.

hopperhead

That was going to be my next test, thanks for saving me the trouble. :tup:

I remember people posting similar results back in the day with the OG Grasshopper but I was set in my ways and perhaps a bit skeptical as well. I’m no longer skeptical and I’m excited to run the same test with some fresh GHB3s.
Wanna take one for the team? lol

Have you tried clicking it on while holding onto the backend to see if it shocks you or gives a quick hot flash to it?

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Is this the device they should've released in the first place? :D Mostly playing, I like my original I've only had two replacements!
Honestly yes. It’s perfect so far, no hot back end battery last longer, and the airflow is better.

Have you tried clicking it on while holding onto the backend to see if it shocks you or gives a quick hot flash to it?
There’s no heat in the backend at all for me.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

I don’t get a shock or hot flash on the backend when turning on my SS Hopper io. I tried the same with my Ti Grasshopper with the same results. I’ve been told I have a hot backend but luckily I’ve never experienced that issue with my Grasshoppers. :dog:

Top Bottom