Discontinued Hopper io

ChooChooCharlie

... Stealth isn’t necessarily just about form factor... it has to be fast and powerful enough to sneak away for one or two quick strong hits... and so far the Grasshopper has done that job the best. The quicker heat up of the Hopper io should help a tiny bit with that... :hmm: :sherlock:

I agree

io lets you click 'n draw, or draw 'n click

No stopping at the red light

kilo

Thought I'd mention these "Ranger Bands" I purchased for my Hopper batteries.

8BlJ8LQ.jpg

They're thick, rugged bands and allow me to safely carry a bunch of spare batteries in my pocket. I know there are many alternatives available but these were a step up for me and should last forever. I got them through Amazon, twenty for eight bucks.

vapeverythingnyc

8BlJ8LQ.jpg

They're thick, rugged bands and allow me to safely carry a bunch of spare batteries in my pocket. I know there are many alternatives available but these were a step up for me and should last forever. I got them through Amazon, twenty for eight bucks.
Pretty genius. I’m just prepping for a hike and I have the old delta3D 3 battery tube. It leaves one end of the batteries exposed which freaks me out (so I usually put them inside one of those waterproof electronics baggies just to be safe). I just ordered from amazon. Thanks for the tip!

vapeverythingnyc,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

hopperhead

Can anyone with an IO share a pic of the unscrewed back end? I wanted to see the threads and the self cleaning bumps.

Please and thank you. :)

Also anyone with an IO..after having it for some time now have you noticed the back end start to feel hot yet? Or has it stayed cool this whole time? If you hold onto the back and and click it on will it shock you or has it shocked you? Trying to see if they in fact fixed the front end. My OG hopper back end seems to be getting hot again quicker than before.

ssrrosey

Hopper HT000001 checking in here
https://imgur.com/gallery/oZUGcnV

So far I've been really enjoying the IO, granted I've only had it several days. Some of the improvements are readily apparent, the back-end being one. I haven't noticed any back-end heat at all during use, and threading it onto the body is much, much smoother on the Ti model (SS was always pretty smooth for me).

Performance has been great*. Admittedly it doesn't white-wall pieces as well as some of the OG hoppers, that said, I think this is a good thing. As much as I loved getting the pieces milky I always suspected some of the OG hoppers were running too hot. For example, I owned an EQ for a while and to get the same bud to the same color the EQ would have to be at like 450-460 while those grasshoppers were supposed to max out at what, 410?? While having the option to get hotter was nice I think such wide variability was tightly tied to all the reliability issues.
Despite all this the hopper performance is still excellent. A bowl is still easily finish-able in 2 hits through a water piece if desired. While the pieces aren't fully "milked" the exhale is still quite satisfying and, like I said, the power is clearly still there. My preferred method hasn't changed from the OG, 1-2 direct hits at temp two-three and another 1-2 hits through water at temp five. Flavor is great and terpy at low temp albeit a bit dry, flavor still okay at full heat and quite a strong vape signature.

Battery life is okay. I received at GBH2 with my IO and get 3-4 bowls/charge I think, I can keep track more carefully if people are interested. In the best of my old batteries, which are 2 years old at the newest, I'd estimate I'm getting two bowls per charge. I haven't tried it with my oldest batteries yet. Hopefully the GBH3's will be better. HL said they will have new chemistry as well as just being new cells so hopefully that works out, they still owe me 3 from like 2 years ago so I'll be looking to grab those!

Although its far to early to say for certain I do get a feeling this will be much more reliable. The backend does feel like its been improved, and although the heater isn't getting as hot, which is unfortunate, I feel that this is likely an improvement in the long run as well.

Overall I'm quite happy with this hopper, if performance maintains for another 6 months I'll finally be comfortable recommending it again. Unfortunately I do have to mention one, admittedly minor, issue. The heater's screen inside the chamber keeps falling out, as in repeatedly. I've replaced it maybe 6 times over 2 days now. If this continues I'll have to follow up with HL for a solution. Its just not okay for this to happen on a brand new, top-tier vape. In their defense it would be almost impossible to detect in QA because it only falls out after several uses, but regardless its a bad look. Maybe they could have considered a design where the screen is able to lock into place? I believe the mouthpiece screen does something like that.

Happy with the vape, performance is good, battery life is decent. Outperforms anything I'm aware of on the market but it wouldn't be HL without the signature hold-up like the screen falling out. Check back in 6 months for reliability and to see if I'm still recommending it!

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Admittedly it doesn't white-wall pieces as well as some of the OG hoppers, that said, I think this is a good thing. As much as I loved getting the pieces milky I always suspected some of the OG hoppers were running too hot. For example, I owned an EQ for a while and to get the same bud to the same color the EQ would have to be at like 450-460 while those grasshoppers were supposed to max out at what, 410?? While having the option to get hotter was nice I think such wide variability was tightly tied to all the reliability issues.
Despite all this the hopper performance is still excellent. A bowl is still easily finish-able in 2 hits through a water piece if desired. While the pieces aren't fully "milked" the exhale is still quite satisfying and, like I said, the power is clearly still there.
I think the only Hoppers that ran too hot were the one's that combusted :2c:
. . . And your EQ experience is not really comparable imo, because the heat in these two devices is harnessed & delivered in very different ways. I think the Hopper definitely uses it's heat more efficiently & can therefore 'milk' at lower temps than the years old tech in the EQ ever could. Apples & oranges as people like to say.

What you are experiencing must (hopefully!) be a power source issue that will improve when the new GHB3 batteries become available.

If, when it arrives, I feel my Ti io does not produce vapor to at least the same level as my preorder OG Ti Hopper, I will not be at all happy. By rights, the io should surpass the Grasshopper in vapor production and in almost every other way (barring form factor).

I will reassure myself by remembering that from the outset @Hopper Labs have stated pre-release adopters may receive subpar peformace from their io until the new batteries are available.

Anyway, it's certainly good to see another io out in the wild (especially#1! :cool:) - pleased you are enjoying it & thanks for posting your initial thoughts @ssrrosey :tup:

8BlJ8LQ.jpg

Ranger bands are great, and even better when they are free. If you've got an old bicycle innertube laying around you can go the traditional route & get cutting custom sizes . . .

17l05pmjo2wwpjpg.jpg

:peace:

ssrrosey

I think the only Hoppers that ran too hot were the one's that combusted :2c:
. . . And your EQ experience is not really comparable imo, because the heat in these two devices is harnessed & delivered in very different ways. I think the Hopper definitely uses it's heat more efficiently & can therefore 'milk' at lower temps than the years old tech in the EQ ever could. Apples & oranges as people like to say.

That may be your opinion on what the max temp should be set to; In reality though, any temp above what they claim to be the max temp is “too hot.” Whether you agree with what they decided to be the max temp is a different question. *note they did raise the max temp 20 degrees on the IO

I also somewhat disagree with your claim about harnessing heat. The hopper is extremely efficient in harnessing Power, but once that power is converted to heat, well heat is heat. Although the EQ isn’t 100% convection it’s pretty close. Unless your arguing the bowl temp on the EQ isn’t accurate than comparing two essentially pure convection devices is completely reasonable imo. And I’ve had other vapes that required similar temps to the EQ to get hopper ABV coloring, that was just the one I referenced.

I do agree about the new batteries. I hope they do bring up performance a notch although I am already enjoying the IO. Keeping my fingers crossed although I’m somewhat unconfident they will make that big of a difference.

What happened with the batteries anyway? Didn’t they say like 7-12 days about two weeks ago?

Uridium

Well, I can’t wait!
I’m so excited I keep checking this thread every day.
I didn’t know they raised the max temp 20* on the IO - that’s good news! Not that I really need it but it does make me think the IO should have even more horsepower over the OG.

about batteries, if slightly weak batteries that are freshly charged cause underperformance then that is concerning, it means we will all be buying fresh batteries a lot more!

I usually dose at home so I might look into the plug in adapter thingy once it’s confined working perfectly on the IO.

@Hopper Labs - perhaps sleek all in one plug in rear end that replaced the battery would be a big seller, I would jump at that for my home rig!

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
That may be your opinion on what the max temp should be set to; In reality though, any temp above what they claim to be the max temp is “too hot.” Whether you agree with what they decided to be the max temp is a different question. *note they did raise the max temp 20 degrees on the IO

I also somewhat disagree with your claim about harnessing heat. The hopper is extremely efficient in harnessing Power, but once that power is converted to heat, well heat is heat. Although the EQ isn’t 100% convection it’s pretty close. Unless your arguing the bowl temp on the EQ isn’t accurate than comparing two essentially pure convection devices is completely reasonable imo. And I’ve had other vapes that required similar temps to the EQ to get hopper ABV coloring, that was just the one I referenced.

I do agree about the new batteries. I hope they do bring up performance a notch although I am already enjoying the IO. Keeping my fingers crossed although I’m somewhat unconfident they will make that big of a difference.

What happened with the batteries anyway? Didn’t they say like 7-12 days about two weeks ago?

Hey totally man, sorry, I guess I just meant when my OG was running perfectly and delivering all of it's heat without any failings such as backend heat loss, on full power, I think it was probably white-walling my glass at around 410°F as Hopper Labs states - and imo, the almost coffee grind avb it produced would pretty much confirm that for me.

It may be necessary to run higher temperatures & produce darker avb to see similar vapor production in other (less efficient/effective?) devices.
While they are both convection vaporizers, they are both very different - and the technology in the Hopper vapes is in another league, imo.

And yeah, bloody good question dude, just where IS that battery update? @Hopper Labs? Give us some good news!

Please.

And finally, just because . . .
Adafruit-IO-Logo.png

ssrrosey

Hey totally man, sorry, I guess I just meant when my OG was running perfectly and delivering all of it's heat without any failings such as backend heat loss, on full power, I think it was probably white-walling my glass at around 410°F as Hopper Labs states - and imo, the almost coffee grind avb it produced would pretty much confirm that for me.

It may be necessary to run higher temperatures & produce darker avb to see similar vapor production in other (less efficient/effective?) devices.

While they are both convection vaporizers, they are both very different - and the technology in the Hopper vapes is in another league, imo.

And yeah, bloody good question dude, just where IS that battery update? @Hopper Labs? Give us some good news!

Please.

And finally, just because . . .
Adafruit-IO-Logo.png

Hey no reason to be sorry. There’s nothing wrong with disagreement as long as it’s civil, in fact it can be good!

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I was just going to wait for the new batteries and then I changed my mind. One of the first things I noticed about my new Hopper io is that the max temp is actually 446°F/230°C. The temps are still separated in 20°C increments, starting at 302°F/150°C instead of 266°F/130°C.

What that means in practical terms is temp 1 on the Hopper io is a direct equivalent of temp 2 on the Grasshopper, and temp 5 on the Hopper io is essentially temp 6 for the OG Grasshopper.

2-AFB24-FE-6-A5-E-4-CA4-AC4-A-AB007471-E451.jpg

E65899-B9-F728-48-C5-B0-E6-CD4-BB1-CD10-AD.jpg
C8-DF623-D-6-A22-41-D5-AD87-C91-D0-AEE0-B7-A.jpg

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
And "these go to eleven" :lol::tup:
And just as you would expect, eleven seems a bit superfluous. In my preliminary testing I’ve found I can fully extract a chamber of .08 grams of 19.8% THC cannabis with a single 25-30 second draw at temp 4. If I go for another hit at temp 5 I get minimal vapor and the flavor is noticeably worse at this temperature.

The OG Grasshopper was tuned for fast extraction and the Hopper io seems to excel even more in that arena. I feel the need for more testing... :science:

And just as you would expect, eleven seems a bit superfluous. In my preliminary testing I’ve found I can fully extract a chamber of .08 grams of 19.8% THC cannabis with a single 25-30 second draw at temp 4. If I go for another hit at temp 5 I get minimal vapor and the flavor is noticeably worse at this temperature.

The OG Grasshopper was tuned for fast extraction and the Hopper io seems to excel even more in that arena. I feel the need for more testing... :science:

Did your io come with a GHB2 battery or no battery at all?

Also, thanks for the pics. I'm so excited to get it.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Did your io come with a GHB2 battery or no battery at all?
I made arrangements for them to ship the Hopper io with no battery, I prefer to wait for the GHB3s and I still have a few decent GHB2s. I decided to buy another leather case so they are going to ship my batteries with it when they arrive. I think the main concern is just paying for the additional shipping required.

Another difference I’ve noticed in the manual is that they no longer recommend cleaning the chamber with isopropyl alcohol.
8-A33-A439-004-B-4297-9-F73-5-AC1-CA9321-FE.jpg

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Is that the default arrangement when you opt in for the early shipment of the io or a custom arrangement? I started to think that maybe they weren't sending early shipment io's with a GHB2 battery.
I suppose a custom arrangement? I contacted Hopper Labs directly with my proposal, I’m not sure what the default arrangement would be. It seems @ssrrosey received a GHB2 with his, so who knows? :shrug:
Battery life is okay. I received at GBH2 with my IO

dac13

I suppose a custom arrangement? I contacted Hopper Labs directly with my proposal, I’m not sure what the default arrangement would be. It seems @ssrrosey received a GHB2 with his, so who knows? :shrug:
I received an io last week with no battery. I also ordered an extra battery along with my order, so I'm sure they'll ship that when it arrives since I was already shorted one battery that I paid for

MoltenTiger

Man am I sick of waiting on my io.

It's either lost or stuck in San Francisco. One month to the day without a tracking update.

So far these 35 days of transit have been the most annoying wait for a hopper for me, I can handle the 13 month odd wait for HL but checking tracking multiple times a day for over a month might be insane. Why do I do it haha?! Never-ending disappointment. I guess it's stacking with my wait for warranty reply on top, and the general precarious nature I suspect these things still have. And how much I spent to get in early, just to have to wait and watch the conversion rate fall more into favour.

Can't really complain, it's far from a necessity, really a meaningless purchase and aquisition anyway. But fair to say I want to complain. Fuckin USPS. How hard is it to handball a box across the world in these times, I'm so unrighteous.

mac_47

Is this the device they should've released in the first place? :D Mostly playing, I like my original I've only had two replacements!

ssrrosey

new Hopper io is that the max temp is actually 446°F/230°C. The temps are still separated in 20°C increments, starting at 302°F/150°C instead of 266°F/130°C.
I’m wondering where you got this information from. Did you measure this temp yourself? Every piece of hopper IO literature says the max temp is 430 F. Additionally you say 20 degree increments, which I agree, but 302 doesn’t factor into 446 by 20. Really confused by this claim.

Top Bottom