Discontinued Hopper io

LAWTHEONE

CLOUDYWITHFOG/ZEROVISIBILITY
I have a quick question, is Hopper labs going to replace the junk batteries they sold and told everyone to dispose of? Or did everyone getting beat out of their money for that also?

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I have a quick question, is Hopper labs going to replace the junk batteries they sold and told everyone to dispose of? Or did everyone getting beat out of their money for that also?
They said replace. I’m still waiting for mine. In all honesty I’ve been using the ones they shipped before the fire without any issue, and continue to use 2 out of 5 of them in my OG Hopper battery rotation. The others remain in cat litter (no kidding). Again, no issues and I’ve been diligent about charging, storing and using the ‘bad’ ones. Fingers crossed new batteries arrive soon for EVERYONE. :peace:

dac13

I ordered an extra battery, am I screwed?
I also ordered an extra with my io which shipped without any battery. I messaged hopper asking about getting the extra battery shipped when they arrive along with a 2nd question/issue. Got a quick reply about the issue but they didn't respond about the extra battery I ordered. I only have 1 "good" 3-year old gbh2 so if he dies my new hopper io is worthless

Vaporific

I also ordered an extra with my io which shipped without any battery. I messaged hopper asking about getting the extra battery shipped when they arrive along with a 2nd question/issue. Got a quick reply about the issue but they didn't respond about the extra battery I ordered. I only have 1 "good" 3-year old gbh2 so if he dies my new hopper io is worthless
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Grasshopper and Hopper Labs. There is the limited time basis of powered backend option offered by @maxvapor710 but portability goes out the window. No doubt folks are without any batteries and many have one or few working ones. If not for working out the internal kinks, perhaps more stringent QC (TBD), HL got the hardware down with many recent repaired legacy Hoppers and the new io. Batteries and their availability are the Achilles heel, always have been and continue to be - for many. Perhaps the sole reason I don’t order an io right now as much I’d like one, not need one...:peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
March 9:
Maybe we will get a video with the io done here soon. Focus is still largely on getting warranty back on track.
We just confirmed that we will be getting some of our GHB3 order late March/Early April ...

April 14:
Batteries are on track to arrive in 7-12 days.
None of these have happened, except maybe the video, did I miss a HL video?

In consideration, one has to think that the battery fiasco has made for some very thick soup, a story that may go on for a long time yet never really be revealed.

Lawyers, liabilities, insurers, etc. and that end of of it all just sucks big-time. It also requires time, and capital until such time as things a resolved. The fact that only a "small batch" was being readied and shipped(?) -- after testing and approvals were complete, why not go-go-go with the damn batteries already? -- makes me think straightaway about $ or lack thereof. Is the small batch some kind of interim compromise before the final declaration of "Who gonna pay for this mess?"

Yes this is speculation, but yes, this is Hopper Labs; there are always questions.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
The fact that only a "small batch" was being readied and shipped(?) -- after testing and approvals were complete, why not go-go-go with the damn batteries already? -- makes me think straightaway about $ or lack thereof.
Thats certainly a valid assumption and the thought had crossed my mind as well. Since we are speculating I think it may have to do with the move to a new/additional battery manufacturer. When dealing with a new manufacturer it is common to do a small run first as a proof of production capability, before they ramp up to a full rate of production.

Vaporific

March 9:

April 14:

None of these have happened, except maybe the video, did I miss a HL video?

In consideration, one has to think that the battery fiasco has made for some very thick soup, a story that may go on for a long time yet never really be revealed.

Lawyers, liabilities, insurers, etc. and that end of of it all just sucks big-time. It also requires time, and capital until such time as things a resolved. The fact that only a "small batch" was being readied and shipped(?) -- after testing and approvals were complete, why not go-go-go with the damn batteries already? -- makes me think straightaway about $ or lack thereof. Is the small batch some kind of interim compromise before the final declaration of "Who gonna pay for this mess?"

Yes this is speculation, but yes, this is Hopper Labs; there are always questions.
It’s a real life Charlie Brown soap opera with HL. This has been historically the case. I realize geopolitical crap and now the pandemic throw more complexity into the situation, but that’s been the case for a long while. Nothing seems to go right for them. I’m still pulling for HL however with my heart, not with my wallet at this point for these reasons. :peace:

hopperhead

Well, my hopper IO no longer heats up. Not sure how great of a sign that is for everyone else. Can't seem to fix it. Will contact hopper labs to see what they can do.
damn that was fast. How many days/uses/minutes did you get out of it? Have you tried any of the old tricks to get her going again?

Tolamang

damn that was fast. How many days/uses/minutes did you get out of it? Have you tried any of the old tricks to get her going again?
Yep tried the old tricks, tried all three of my batteries. I've maybe had it two weeks. Potentially a little less? Used maybe 2-3 times a day since I've gotten it.

Edit:

Just for clarity, essentially it just doesnt get hot or heat up. The lights turn on, auto shut off works, and it sounds like it's working but it just doesn't generate any heat at any dial setting.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yep tried the old tricks, tried all three of my batteries. I've maybe had it two weeks. Potentially a little less? Used maybe 2-3 times a day since I've gotten it.

Edit:

Just for clarity, essentially it just doesnt get hot or heat up. The lights turn on, auto shut off works, and it sounds like it's working but it just doesn't generate any heat at any dial setting.
Are your batteries known for certain to be in great condition? As-in, are they new-ish?
Your issue sounds like one I had last fall with an og just back from repair. (I think it has some of the io improvements in it.) Light would come on red, ticking noise then after 15 or 17 secs, shut off. My batteries were all old, and even though they were powering older og fine they could not bring the new one to even begin heating up, just lights...
HL covered me out at that time with a "new" batt. from old-old stock.
I understand your lights are different...

Keep us posted. Good luck, we hope this is a non-issue.

Tolamang

Are your batteries known for certain to be in great condition? As-in, are they new-ish?
Your issue sounds like one I had last fall with an og just back from repair. (I think it has some of the io improvements in it.) Light would come on red, ticking noise then after 15 or 17 secs, shut off. My batteries were all old, and even though they were powering older og fine they could not bring the new one to even begin heating up, just lights...
HL covered me out at that time with a "new" batt. from old-old stock.

Keep us posted. Good luck, we hope this is a non-issue.
Thanks for the info!

I suspected batteries first, but all my batteries last a good few bowls and 2/3 are capable of powering the hopper IO at 5 on the dial. They're second hand, so I don't know how old they are at all. Your issue sounds very similar except it's just the white LED now so i cant diagnose a red to blue sorta thing. Makes it harder to troubleshoot a little bit

EDIT:

they are sending me a new one and asking me to return this one so they can look at it.

Last edited:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Thanks for the info!

I suspected batteries first, but all my batteries last a good few bowls and 2/3 are capable of powering the hopper IO at 5 on the dial. They're second hand, so I don't know how old they are at all. Your issue sounds very similar except it's just the white LED now so i cant diagnose a red to blue sorta thing. Makes it harder to troubleshoot a little bit

EDIT:

they are sending me a new one and asking me to return this one so they can look at it.
I have a feeling it may be your batteries. My old batteries don’t work on the IO, only the one GHB2, they sent me to test it out with works really well on it, and two other GHB2 I had. I have some GHB1 batteries that don’t work and that’s what happens. Powers on but no heat. You didn’t get a GHB2 from them with the IO?

Tolamang

I have a feeling it may be your batteries. My old batteries don’t work on the IO, only the one GHB2, they sent me to test it out with works really well on it, and two other GHB2 I had. I have some GHB1 batteries that don’t work and that’s what happens. Powers on but no heat. You didn’t get a GHB2 from them with the IO?

No I gave up the battery in order to get my unit early. So they didnt send me any batteries. But my three GHb2s are working splendidly with the IO with only one not being able to power it at 5 on the dial. So again I'm not sure if that matters as I don't see why they would stop working all of a sudden and do what your GHB1s did to your IO. Although the symptoms certainly match then if that's what happened with yours. I mean, I used it this morning. Super weird!

slozukimc

No I gave up the battery in order to get my unit early. So they didnt send me any batteries. But my three GHb2s are working splendidly with the IO with only one not being able to power it at 5 on the dial. So again I'm not sure if that matters as I don't see why they would stop working all of a sudden and do what your GHB1s did to your IO. Although the symptoms certainly match then if that's what happened with yours. I mean, I used it this morning. Super weird!
Doesn’t seem likely to be a battery issue in this case. All three batteries did not stop working, all in the same manner, at the same time.

Tolamang

Doesn’t seem likely to be a battery issue in this case. All three batteries did not stop working, all in the same manner, at the same time.
Right. For all my rambling this is basically my point lol. I guess we'll see when the new one comes in. Will keep this updated!

I will say I don't know if it's because its the first reported case of a failure or what,but I did not expect to have this issue fixed and resolved with hopper labs all in one day. Pleasantly surprised, and majorly bummed out at the same time. Hopefully this is just one dud lol.

slozukimc

Right. For all my rambling this is basically my point lol. I guess we'll see when the new one comes in. Will keep this updated!

I will say I don't know if it's because its the first reported case of a failure or what,but I did not expect to have this issue fixed and resolved with hopper labs all in one day. Pleasantly surprised, and majorly bummed out at the same time. Hopefully this is just one dud lol.
I do question @Hopper Labs decision to allow a higher power unit out in the wild with a questionable power source. I know some electronics are very sensitive to a good power supply, audio amplifiers for example, and will fry if driven hard with low power. What if the Hopper is the same way?

I have two. Both work but the newer Ti unit that heats up faster and has better airflow requires much more power. Some of the batteries that work well in the older SS model with slower heat and less airflow won’t even finish a bowl in the Ti model.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I do question @Hopper Labs decision to allow a higher power unit out in the wild with a questionable power source. I know some electronics are very sensitive to a good power supply, audio amplifiers for example, and will fry if driven hard with low power. What if the Hopper is the same way?

I have two. Both work but the newer Ti unit that heats up faster and has better airflow requires much more power. Some of the batteries that work well in the older SS model with slower heat and less airflow won’t even finish a bowl in the Ti model.
They did tell me that when shipping with an older GHB2 they did not guarantee that it would work as well as it’s meant to with the new battery. Also, they mentioned it might not be the final version of the IO.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
io still running great for me. This has been the best working hopper I've had in years. At least the most consistent. Been using it every day and taking it pretty much everywhere. When I first got it I did combust a bowl, but it was on 5 and probably packed a little too tight. Hasn't happened again since and nothing else negative to report.

hopperhead

io still running great for me. This has been the best working hopper I've had in years. At least the most consistent. Been using it every day and taking it pretty much everywhere. When I first got it I did combust a bowl, but it was on 5 and probably packed a little too tight. Hasn't happened again since and nothing else negative to report.
What temp is 5? Isn't it impossible to combust at the advertised temp?

hopperhead,
Top Bottom