Holes in the Vap Market

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
There is no best vaporizer? :lol: :p. I beg to differ...there are many best vaporizers (it's just subjective ;) ).

This thread was created in hopes of generating ideas from the community of knowledgeable/experienced vaporists about what areas of the vaporizer market have not yet been filled. What modifications would you like to see with current vaporizers? What new products would you like to see produced? What prevents you from getting various models that (at least) have features that interest you? What are your ideas of the best (but realistic) vaporizer?

*note: This topic was inspired by an ongoing conversation about the current, evolving vaporizer market. I have ideas of my own which I will share at some point. I look foreword to hearing your ideas about what areas of the vaporizer market have not yet been filled. Who knows, maybe variations of some of the features you desire will be incorporated into future designs and make that dream vap available? :D

edit: KingCrimson, maybe those cheap conduction globe units have a purpose after all (I recall one with a plate with a rim around it in the center of the globe)<---if interested, feel free to edit this and any other ideas you generate into your post :cool: (I will delete this edit, or replace it with another idea :brow: , if you do so ;) )

Progress,

kingcrimson

I'd love a way to vape hash oil that doesn't require heating a glass nail by hand or a torch. lol. Don't get me wrong Its super efficient, and hella fun to do and I like pretending I'm a glass blower, lol, but once I get impared the vape globe is just too dangerous and powerful hitting to go on after two or three hits. It'd be nice to have a simpler way of doing it or perhaps a portable one, because as it is I'd have to lug my bong and vape globe and torch, fuck that.

kingcrimson,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
im still waiting for a portable that wows me. i like the LB, but dont want a piece of wood with a battery sticking out of it in public. i like the iolite, but it seems that you need to fill it with butane far too often. i want a portable that looks like a small technological device but does not need too much attention as far as power goes. adj temp would be nice but i don't even need that. i just want a consistent temp with a stealthy look. :brow:

illadelph,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
I think we need better bongs, vapor specific bongs.

I personally want some small, VERY high quality bongs.

You don't need 2 foot+ for a vapor bong, hell, even over 1 foot isn't needed. The vapor doesn't need to be cooled that much, its harder to handle bigger bongs while holding whips/heat guns/PD's etc. and by blowing a larger bong you either, A. increase the price over a smaller bong or B. get lesser quality glass for the same money as a smaller bong. I can never seem to get a good (skim) milkshot out of my large bong, not as fun for having a session. I have a 100ml EHLE coming atm, that will be produce some nice (skim) milk.

I would LOVE to have something like a 1 foot / 9mm bong... does this sound appealing to anyone at all?

I can only dream :(

Hopefully this post can stay, it's vape related :ninja:

Chubba,

max

Out to lunch
illadelph said:
im still waiting for a portable that wows me. i like the LB, but dont want a piece of wood with a battery sticking out of it in public. i like the iolite, but it seems that you need to fill it with butane far too often. i want a portable that looks like a small technological device but does not need too much attention as far as power goes. adj temp would be nice but i don't even need that. i just want a consistent temp with a stealthy look. :brow:
VM3, only $450. :/

max,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
wow max, you just showed me my dream vape. now if only i couldn't get 3 PD's for that price i would surely get a VM3 right now. i wasnt even aware that they existed. beautiful. perfect. :o

illadelph,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
illadelph said:
i like the iolite, but it seems that you need to fill it with butane far too often.
How do you figure?

~1 hour per fill is good if you ask me, and it only takes 5 seconds to refill.

wow max, you just showed me my dream vape. now if only i couldn't get 3 PD's for that price i would surely get a VM3 right now. i wasnt even aware that they existed. beautiful. perfect.
But you'd be happy with a less proven, battery powered vape of a similar appearance? Those batteries would definitely take longer than 5 seconds to recharge and I'd be surprised if the consistently provided ~1 hour of usage.

Now to get back on topic lest we piss off Progress, I'm surprised we haven't seen more solutions that make it easy to vape with existing glassware. Got a feeling we will soon. ;)

vtac,

Alpha

In the next gen vapes, I would love to see an all glass vaporizer using heat AND back pressure to release the active compounds (think of a pressure cooker). The Herbal Aire is the closest vap I've seen that uses some back pressure to increase efficiency. (EDIT: I added a bit more detail below)

1.) All glass, 3mm thickness or greater for the body. Artistic yet simple design.

2.) Smaller size. Chubba has the right idea, a huge bong is way too big for personal use. I don't think its necessary to cool the vap down that much below room temp. Both Hot AND Cold air are irritating to the lungs.

3.) High efficiency using back pressure and heat. Perhaps you could use a pump and valve system that opens and releases the vap at a certain PSI. This would allow you to use less herb and probably a lower temp due to the extra heat soak. (keep the PSI on the low side. Pressure and glass is a bad combo lol).

4.) Modular design. Open architecture for accessories.

5.) A killer web page with TONS of detail and options.

6.) A new $1k and up ultra high end market offerings.

Alpha,

lwien

Hennessy1414 said:
more halogen powered vapes...
Yeah, like the Aromed. Another thing about that vape is that it monitors the temp from WITHIN the bud, and constantly adjusts itself to the predetermined temp. It's the ONLY vape that does this, to my knowledge.

lwien,

gak hater

illadelph said:
you took the words right out of my mouth
the only thing i would add is affordable also..
i looked at the vm3 before and all of the batterys that are there made it
seem a bit too much keeping up with them all..

gak hater,

willywagtail

Great thread Progress

I'm basing this on tobacco smoking needs:-

- Not easily broken - A vaporizer with no glass!

- Larger bowl (than the PD) ...... so you dont have to fill it up as often (perhaps takes as much tobacco as a cigarette)

- 24/7 operation .... because i dont think waiting a couple of minutes for something to warm up is going to cut it when you want a nicotine hit (so a vaporizer that you can plug into AC and have a car adaptor as well)

- Stand alone ... so you dont have to order parts all the time like you do for electronic cigarettes

- Adjustable temperature .... because apparently tobacco should be smoked at a lower temperature, and I havent found out yet if vaporizing flavoured tobacco at a higher temperature will mask the bad taste

- Ease of use (which involves warm up time, larger bowl size) to suit those that are chain smokers who are going to be taking a hit all the time. Which is obviously a different kettle of fish to mj users who only need one cone/bowl to do them for hours.

p.s If anyone reads this, I think the SSV has a larger bowl compared to the DBV? And so if the flavoured tobacco doesent work in the PD, I think the SSV might suit, and the glass is minimal, whip just needs to be stored in a bag so it doesent roll off the table ... and the unit cant be knocked over. I know I've knocked the PD over a couple of times, and so that is definitely a good feature, but if you know you have to be careful, well maybe you'd never knock it over

willywagtail,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
willywagtail said:
p.s If anyone reads this, I think the SSV has a larger bowl compared to the DBV?
I asked 7th floor this a while ago in an email and they said the bowl sizes were the same for dbv and ssv.

Happycamper,

willywagtail

thanks Happycamper thats good to know, the bowl looks huge in this video at 43s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-cmrZr20Bo

Sundaddy, i think that would definitely work!!. I made a bong out of a small water bottle to fit the PD, and it worked, just didnt solve the problem. I'd give your idea a try and get some steam built up in the bottle before taking a hit but on second thoughts its going to be too much trouble to keep refilling the bottle with hot water. Great for a mj smoker though. Your definitely onto something!

sundaddy said:
I think vapes deliver a lot of dry air. My dream vape would mix some steam with the vapor so it would reach some sort of balance. Just enough to normalize the humidity. I've already made a ghetto model that works pretty good. I described it in detail here. http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1230

willywagtail,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
Well, thats what 7th floor said. They also said the main difference between the two is the price, and that is because the SSV is much more customisable, which i know already isnt strictly the only difference.

The SSV has slightly more vapor to air ratio due to a smaller air stream that passes the
through the heater cover, thats why its good to turn the wand a little on the ssv for more even cooking. Ive always wondered though, can you tell the difference using them?

Happycamper,

sundaddy

willywagtail said:
Sundaddy, i think that would definitely work!!. I made a bong out of a small water bottle to fit the PD, and it worked, just didnt solve the problem. I'd give your idea a try and get some steam built up in the bottle before taking a hit but on second thoughts its going to be too much trouble to keep refilling the bottle with hot water. Great for a mj smoker though. Your definitely onto something!
If I was still single with no kids and had the time, I think I could rig something that made steam off of the same heating element that the vape uses.

sundaddy,

WesWeed

1. portable vape made to look like a cell phone. i know the iolite kind of does, but...not really.

2. multi-setting vape with different settings for different herbs. let's say, 420 (call it "general purpose" to avoid paraphernalia laws), "tobacco", "salvia", "hops", etc....maybe with a couple programmable buttons. think presets on a radio, only different temps for different herbs.

WesWeed,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
what i would really like to see is a small variable speed fan/pump that attaches to the end of a whip and pumps the vapor into a bag, effectively converting your whip/direct draw vape of choice into a bag blower

Acolyte of Zinglon,

standaloneshell

I have to agree with both Acolyte and Alpha, I need a vape that has some kind of self generated hit delivery like either back pressure or a fan. I don't have much of a problem but my wife has very limited lung capacity and its always hard for her to move so sufficient air. I def. think some kind of pressure driving air through automatically would help.

standaloneshell,

Purple-Days

I think somebody hooked a small duster / vacuum, like for cleaning keyboards to a whip. Not a bad idea for a start.

If you need an assisted hit I think the vapezilla might a good fit.(not the super vapezilla) I envisioned a mask attached to the whip and strapping Billy down till he submitted. The air speed with a clean screen and a good load, and the right temp... is about perfect. There are reasons we don't use the zilla, but for that purpose (assisted hits) it was pretty near perfect. :2c:

Purple-Days,

sundaddy

How about something that could rotate inside the bowl and stir the bowl very slowly while you're vaping to keep max vapor coming.

sundaddy,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i was thinking about making a heat activated stirrer using nitinol wire ... only just thinking about it at this point.

but then there's non-glass in the vapor path ... a no-no during vaporizing ... would have to be inserted/removed.

Hippie Dickie,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
A portable vaporizer that employs a flame, but is oriented so the flame is not in the vapor path, (So not the VG or VS). The flame heats an element that in turn uses conduction to vaporizer, but is fully enclosed, (So no the Supreme or Vapman). And for the love of god, I want a portable vape with a bowl big enough for multiple people. One handed would be a plus too.

hmm...while writing this I actually started making a design for it in my head...

sneezyjesus,
Top Bottom