High potency edibles

strech

Interesting!
can you say how much quicker? My homemade edibles kick in reliably after 35 minutes (provided I take them on an empty stomach)
I normally start feeling effects from edibles within 15-25 minutes. The fast acting ones was more like 5-10.

I usually use edibles before a show. It will last well after the concert ends. With the fast acting I noticed they started to phase off during the headliner. So instead of the normal 4 or more hours of effects it lasted 3. But both times I've taken them it did seem they where stronger for the first hour or so then fell off fast. Wife said same thing. I can see where they would come in handy for some situations.

sickmanfraud

you can assume that 1 gram of high-quality cannabis flower contains around 100mg of THC. if you're using this amount to infuse into a teaspoon of oil, you would have around 7mg of THC per teaspoon. if you're infusing into a tablespoon, you would have around 21mg of THC per tablespoon.

1 gram at 20% THC gives you 200mg

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I am extremely pleased with my infused Agave syrup. I much prefer it over infused honey. Honey has dilution issues whereas agave readily combines with liquids. I'm going to make a batch for family at 30 mg THC per tablespoon, or 10 mg THC per teaspoon (3 teaspoons=tablespoon). I've often wondered if, over time, concentrate oil rises to the top even while combined with emulsifying lecithin. With agave it's easy to give a shake to the bottle to re-combine. It would be easy to place the syrup under the tongue for quick absorption.

Last edited:

Nina

The fast acting ones was more like 5-10.
blimey, how can that be?
Also the fact that it wears off quickly suggests that it's not been converted to the longer acting cannabinoid by the liver, as is the case with 'normal' edibles? I dont know, I cant keep up with all these new fangled things, all very interesting though and the research is such fun:D

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
For those interested in natural, sugar-free options, has anyone tried or considered using a stevia solution to mix/infuse? Is it even possible somehow?

Edit: or should I read all 15 pages..?:rolleyes: heh

Last edited:
Bologna,
Reactions: shredder

DrJynx86

Since I've switched from infused honey to infused agave syrup, I've noticed some clumping of the sunflower lecithin in my solution over time even though I combine well . So I decided to look for other emulsifiers and I found one called food grade polysorbate 80. I ordered some and will give it a try.
Sounds amazing but have you read about effects on digestion? I can get it very cheaply in my country but they seem to only promote it for beauty products.

Polysorbate 80 is used as an emulsifier in foods, though research[6] suggests it may "profoundly impact intestinal microbiota in a manner that promotes gut inflammation and associated disease states."

shredder

Since I've switched from infused honey to infused agave syrup, I've noticed some clumping of the sunflower lecithin in my solution over time even though I combine well . So I decided to look for other emulsifiers and I found one called food grade polysorbate 80. I ordered some and will give it a try.
Are you using powdered or liquid lecithin? I’ve never had that problem using liquid lecithin.

shredder,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I use sunflower liquid lecithin. I use a battery powered mixer that I use to combine with my decarbed concentrate, and I use an immersion blender to combine with the agave. Clumping never occurred with my infused honey. I have no idea even how it clumps (over time).
Clumping.jpg

Last edited:

bulllee

Agent Provocateur
I use sunflower liquid lecithin. I use a battery powered mixer that I use to combine with my decarbed concentrate, and I use an immersion blender to combine with the agave. Clumping never occurred with my infused honey. I have no idea even how it clumps (over time).
Clumping.jpg
Liquid lecithin is suitable when the mixture is oil and fat-based. The lipophilic lecithin will infuse the fat molecules, creating a soluble oil and water mixture. Adding liquid lecithin to a water-based mixture will repel the various components leading to clumps and separation of particles.

Idk , Agave has a higher moisture content 22.7% vs Honey @ 16.5%. Maybe that's your issue ? I hope this answers your problem :tup:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I bought some polysorbate 80 when I found it 8 days ago, and I made a new batch of infused agave syrup. So far, it looks good: no clumping (so far). I haven't tried any yet, so time will tell. Hopefully, I won't experience intestinal woes.
NewAgave.jpg

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
For those interested, not me atm... sweet deal from a good vendor, free shipping... still plenty of time:
IMG-2341.jpg

:peace:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I'm making my 3rd batch of infused agave syrup utilizing food grade polysorbate 80. I really like it. I use half the amount of concentrate to emulsify. For example, for 7 grams of decarbed concentrate I add 3.5 grams of polysorbate 80 and mix well prior to adding to my heated agave syrup. It results in approx 100 mg THC per tablespoon of agave, and I mix 1/4 cup syrup to 2 liters water and add a packet of Crystal Light for a pitcher of pleasure. I have a high (teehee) tolerance.

There is no clumping, and I've not experienced any gastrointestinal upsets.

Agave.jpg

Last edited:

MrSpicoli

My process for edibles (until I got a Levo 2):

Decarb: Put chopped-up weed (I use these small scissors because I find that grinders leave more THC behind) on tin foil or parchment paper. 240 F oven for 30-40 minutes.

Infusion: 1 gram of weed to 1 tbsp coconut oil, inside a mason jar. (If you want to go the extra, spray the weed with Everclear beforehand as this helps release thc from the flower.) Heat crockpot on low (could take over an hour to heat up). Pour in boiling water, enough to cover most of the glass. Put a small bowl in the water so the jar doesn't touch the crockpot. Then put the jar in the bowl. This also keeps it from falling over. Leave in crockpot for 4 hours with cover on. Every hour or so, give the jar a little shake. Once it's finished, take out and leave on counter to cool off for 15-30 minutes. You don't want open a hot pressurized jar. Then open and pour it from the jar into another jar, holding a fine mesh over it such as a French Press screen. Do it slow or else the oil will pool up on the screen. Give it a squeeze to wring out as much oil as possible. Then mix in 1/6 tsp of soy or sunflower lecithin. Done. *1/4 tsp lecithin for 2 grams of weed, 1/2 for 3 grams, and so on.

I have capsules, so I just place the jar in hot water for a few minutes whenever I feel like taking one. Then I use a syringe to extract the liquid oil and fill a capsule.

PRO TIP: Take a tums or alka-seltzer a few minutes before taking a capsule. Don't eat a full meal beforehand. Stomach should be relatively empty. Additionally, roll the capsule in oil or spray with Pam so the outside is coated. I find this helps shield it from being demolished by stomach acid or the drink you swallow it with, because capsules easily fall apart when water or any non-oil liquid touches them. It also adds extra fat which aids in absorption. Then don't eat or drink anything until the effects kick in, which could be 2-3 hours. This tip has come from much experimentation.

Last edited:

shredder

My process for edibles (until I got a Levo 2):

Decarb: Put chopped-up weed (I use these small scissors because I find that grinders leave more THC behind) on tin foil or parchment paper. 240 F oven for 30-40 minutes.

Infusion: 1 gram of weed to 1 tbsp coconut oil, inside a mason jar. (If you want to go the extra, spray the weed with Everclear beforehand as this helps release thc from the flower.) Heat crockpot on low (could take over an hour to heat up). Pour in boiling water, enough to cover most of the glass. Put a small bowl in the water so the jar doesn't touch the crockpot. Then put the jar in the bowl. This also keeps it from falling over. Leave in crockpot for 4 hours with cover on. Every hour or so, give the jar a little shake. Once it's finished, take out and leave on counter to cool off for 15-30 minutes. You don't want open a hot pressurized jar. Then open and pour it from the jar into another jar, holding a fine mesh over it such as a French Press screen. Do it slow or else the oil will pool up on the screen. Give it a squeeze to wring out as much oil as possible. Then mix in 1/6 tsp of soy or sunflower lecithin. Done. *1/4 tsp lecithin for 2 grams of weed, 1/2 for 3 grams, and so on.

I have capsules, so I just place the jar in hot water for a few minutes whenever I feel like taking one. Then I use a syringe to extract the liquid oil and fill a capsule.

PRO TIP: Take a tums or alka-seltzer a few minutes before taking a capsule. Don't eat a full meal beforehand. Stomach should be relatively empty. Additionally, roll the capsule in oil or spray with Pam so the outside is coated. I find this helps shield it from being demolished by stomach acid or the drink you swallow it with, because capsules easily fall apart when water or any non-oil liquid touches them. It also adds extra fat which aids in absorption. Then don't eat or drink anything until the effects kick in, which could be 2-3 hours. This tip has come from much experimentation.

Since you’re making capsules from infused oil, why not include the weed in the capsules? I’ve been making weed capsules for years now, it’s my favorite way to medicate. I’ve found it’s the closest to vaping/smoking for effects in a edible.

MrSpicoli

Since you’re making capsules from infused oil, why not include the weed in the capsules? I’ve been making weed capsules for years now, it’s my favorite way to medicate. I’ve found it’s the closest to vaping/smoking for effects in a edible.
Because the actual weed left its goodies in the oil during the infusion. I once kept the leftover grinds after straining and mixed them with peanut butter. Didn't feel a thing as expected since the THC and terpenes are infused in the oil. Some people also have trouble digesting plant matter.

Last edited:
MrSpicoli,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Because the actual weed left its goodies in the oil during the infusion. I once kept the leftover grinds after straining and mixed them with peanut butter. Didn't feel a thing as expected since the THC and terpenes are infused in the oil. Some people also have trouble digesting plant matter.
Yes, maybe I'm wrong, but isn't the point that because the grind that's being strained is still somewhat saturated with oil when you're done, you might as well just not bother straining it at all so as not to potentially lose anything...? IE: you can wring out a wet sponge, but it's still damp when you're done, no...? The plant matter not agreeing with someone is another issue, and of course should be addressed by whatever means necessary...

Bologna,

MrSpicoli

Yes, maybe I'm wrong, but isn't the point that because the grind that's being strained is still somewhat saturated with oil when you're done, you might as well just not bother straining it at all so as not to potentially lose anything...? IE: you can wring out a wet sponge, but it's still damp when you're done, no...? The plant matter not agreeing with someone is another issue, and of course should be addressed by whatever means necessary...

You're correct. Although the amount of oil left over clinging to the weed is very minimal. I would include it but I think that infused oil lasts longer without plant matter in it. Well at least for me as I don't refrigerate it. Then again, I never really experimented since I only make about 3.5 oz of oil to be used within a few months. Maybe next batch I'll leave it in...see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
MrSpicoli,
Reactions: Bologna

shredder

I’ve tried capsules with and without the plant material and beg to differ with your assessment. I know making capsules can be easier without plant material but to me the results are worth using it. Plus I hate straining weed, lol. When I make butter for edibles, or chocolates, I use concentrates, but our favorite edibles are weed capsules. Mostly because of the varietal effects. Our sativa caps act like vaping sativas, same for indicas, rather than that generic buzz from dispensary edibles.

Top Bottom