Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Xom1fcz.png

yxqj4Wo.png

I haven't visited on my switch. I don't think there's a web browser for it yet actually lol. The 3ds probably wouldn't work but I can try later once I'm home just for fun

Justpassedu

Nope and nope. I am hardwired though.

I had to disable the firewall and DMZ the hexnail to get it to work on either, but the display just would not budge on the DD-WRT firmware. Also interesting to note - you cannot use a hidden network with this. It won't see it. Even after you connect it, you can't go back to hiding it.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. Just taking notes. It worked well the first day I got it, I just couldn't see what the heck was going on (which I feel like is probably the entire reason I bought this thing lol) but I guess user-error.

The good thing is I don't have to buy a new router!

Now if we can just get some flowerpot tunings... I'm actually finding I like standard med better @Justpassedu - I can set lower nail temps this way. I had it at 710 in heavy mode and still got pooling with a fairly small (glob mode'd) dab. I think I'm liking 680 for standard med but I need to play more.
I’ll try it out , I always been around 600-640 standard heavy with the Sic halo and wrap around , I was getting allot of pooling that low with certain concentrate and bumped to 674 now with very little .

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I’ll try it out , I always been around 600-640 standard heavy with the Sic halo and wrap around , I was getting allot of pooling that low with certain concentrate and bumped to 674 now with very little .

I need another coil cover and maybe to fix my coil then, since it doesn't fit perfectly but I'm actually up over 700 now after some testing.

edit: Just took a decent dab at 780 (nail temp just over 600) with 20/20 glob mode and got annihilated holy crap :ko:

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
ok after being pissed and annoyed and also pretty high I have some good info.

Dual connection fucks everything up for me right now. Also the app... while nice that it's in my app drawer, also fucks everything up.

I'm pretty sure the app being there is by error. I think they said they weren't fully releasing it yet, which would explain a lot of my fucking problems holy shit. (nvm it stopped working while i was typing this)

Last edited:

anrchy666

Dual connection fucks everything up for me right now. Also the app... while nice that it's in my app drawer, also fucks everything up.

I'm pretty sure the app being there is by error. I think they said they weren't fully releasing it yet, which would explain a lot of my fucking problems holy shit. (nvm it stopped working while i was typing this)

Does the webui through your phone browser work im not on os2 yet but works flawless on the version prior to os2. Maybe use that method until the app is publicly released.

anrchy666,

JigMelon

Anyone know how to soft-reset the HN-02? My unit turned on, flashed blue, and then went solid blue. It's not connected to any of my networks, and I don't see it's AP network. I'm emailing them now, just asking here, too.

Sucks that I can't even connect to the device after thinking about it all day. And I'm very surprised there isn't a single button on the unit. Could be used for resets, turning heater on or off, as a WPS button for connecting to a network without connecting to it's AP first or for connecting to its AP from another device. So much functionality stunted by not having a single button.

Edit: Resolved. Got it connected after numerous power cycles.

Last edited:
JigMelon,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Anyone know how to soft-reset the HN-02? My unit turned on, flashed blue, and then went solid blue. It's not connected to any of my networks, and I don't see it's AP network. I'm emailing them now, just asking here, too.

Sucks that I can't even connect to the device after thinking about it all day. And I'm very surprised there isn't a single button on the unit. Could be used for resets, turning heater on or off, as a WPS button for connecting to a network without connecting to it's AP first or for connecting to its AP from another device. So much functionality stunted by not having a single button.

Edit: Resolved. Got it connected after numerous power cycles.
So we're still trying to get a run through video together but this has to do with the AWS provisioning (and it'll be a good thing to mention so...thanks). It takes a few minutes after the device first connects sometimes to get everything going through the series of tubes.

Glad it got smoothed out but we're checking things on our end too.

Don't worry we'll get it ironed out. The last text I got from you seemed positive but let me know and we'll run it down again. The router seems to be pretty touchy...

Does the webui through your phone browser work im not on os2 yet but works flawless on the version prior to os2. Maybe use that method until the app is publicly released.

We use it primarily through my phones (I use Apple, Liz uses Android), just as a reference.

Another small note: You can add a 'Hex-Nail' app to your home screen on both Android & Apple mobile platforms. Apple must be done via Safari. Both platforms will be outlined in the run through coming soon.

Last edited:

JigMelon

Thanks for the info @HexNailAva - Glad that it's a known situation that's being addressed. Please also add a breakdown of the app to the to-do list. I have no idea what number is the coil and what number is the insert, I'm not sure what UPTEMP mode is but it seems like it actually goes DOWN 10 degrees, etc. The interface looks excellent, it just isn't intuitive; that's not an issue as long as there's documentation.

Edit - Now that I've figured out how to get to the realtime graph, I know what's what. Perhaps there should be an arrow showing that we can swipe, or a dot indicator of the pages beneath the panel.

Edit 2 - Regardless, none of this affects the actual performance. I've been testing this pretty thoroughly and right now have it at 590 w/ the obsidian insert reading 465 on an IR thermo, and it has been very consistent with various amounts of concentrate. This controller absolutely does what they advertise and it does it well. The difference in the quality of the dab, overall, is very noticeable. Absolutely worth the money to me, and I can't wait to show this thing off haha

Edit 3 - Set at 555, thermo has insert at 450 - will go lower tomorrow during the Eleague Major finals

Edit 4 - Now that I'm properly medicated, I understand the difference between uptemp and glob mode. Uptemp is perfect for lowering the temp to spread around your concentrate. Really, really cool.

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Edit 4 - Now that I'm properly medicated, I understand the difference between uptemp and glob mode. Uptemp is perfect for lowering the temp to spread around your concentrate. Really, really cool.

Yeah uptemp is supposed to lower the temp, that way you drop your concentrate in and then the dish gets back up to heat with the dab already applied to the dish. People like it for better taste? I'm not sure of the other benefits. I haven't messed with the uptemp mode on mine much yet.

@HexNailAva ya sometimes things will work fine on the stock TP Link firmware, but it was on and off last night, without me even touching things it'd change/stop working. I'd stop monitoring my PC screen, and look at my phone and it'd stop updating.

I redid everything before sleeping last night, and this morning it works, but last night, I could actually just walk over to my bed to put my phone on the charger, and in those 10 seconds, the display would stop?

I'll keep an eye on it today, but my plan is to ONLY use the web client on my PC for now and I hope that will make things more stable. I think I would fuck things up by trying to connect on my phone when my PC already worked.

Even if it's still buggy, as long as I am actually getting visual info from one source, I'm happy.
Don't mean to sound like a party pooper! Just trying to document my experiences here, I'm gonna just shutup for now though. When it works, it's quite nice. I'm not trying to detract from that at all. :)

Last edited:

JigMelon

That's interesting, since I have no issues on my phone, but on my desktop it doesn't update the display in my browser accurately. If it works on your desktop then it must be an extension I'm using

Edit for the ladies - I'm on Ubuntu 17.10 on this machine w/ Chromium up to date. Just did a fresh install of Chrome and had the same issue without any extensions. Tested by going to Presets and changing the temp on a setpoint. On the phone the upper number updates, on the desktop it does not. Have not yet tested in other browsers or environments.

Edit - Modded my 30mm Liger bucket to increase performance and decrease delta; nail set to 530 and thermo had insert at 465! Set it to 510 just now, will check thermo in a bit and then test it out.

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
At least in my case, trying to connect from my phone when I was already connected/logging on my PC (or vice versa) seems to have been causing the issue. As far as what happened on the dd-wrt firmware, I couldn't tell you... but whatever. I've been up running for like 2hours now!!! So that seems to have been the issue.

Either way, I alsoDMZ'd the hexnail's IP on my router, and also disabled the routers firewall prior to getting it to work properly. So there's that, for anyone also experiencing issues. Switching the actual HexNail on and off after messing with your network is almost pretty much required. Sometimes I had to ping it with the "devices" tab in the UI, and then disconnect it manually, because it was still somehow connecting to my old network (that didn't exist - even the IPs are different between firmwares I'm using)

Cheers and thanks Ava&Liz

edit: also I'm so fucking high. I dropped like a .3g clump of crumble and it was nicely powered through with globmode.

I do feel like I could really benefit from another coil cover though to help retain and distribute the heat a bit better to the WA/dish

Zanin

Got my hex to the blinking green state, connect to it the hex network on my phone, open up my browser to setup wifi but it gets stuck at attempting to connect and error checking connection status. I switched routers too and even changed SSID's still no luck.

Zanin,

mutten840

@Zanin My buddy had a similar issue and he left his unit on for 15 mins or so and it worked itself out. He also had network connection errors initially and those also went away. If you find it is still not working after trying the above, you will def want to send an email to support@hex-nail.com

Zanin

I got it connected but now I'm completely lost, every setting I change resets and I can't get the heater to set to on it always says off and temp is stuck at 199. It has an SSID network that I disconnected so I'm not sure why it still shows it connected...

Zanin,

mutten840

@Zanin Make sure to shoot an email to the support alias I posted. That way they can help you directly, instead of waiting for them to check FC =)

mutten840,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
I got it connected but now I'm completely lost, every setting I change resets and I can't get the heater to set to on it always says off and temp is stuck at 199.
Okay this is a weird (should be rare now) bug we're working on that we've run into sometimes but thank you (seriously) for reminding me about it because I can imagine it will be frustrating (I'll cover the temporary fix in the video we're trying to finish today).

If your nail won't heat past 200 or so degrees drag the temp. slider all the way to zero, give your nail a second, and then set it back to around 200. Once it starts to heat again you should be able to set it to desired temp just fine.

[Liz has informed me this should be fixed in the latest build (the one that shipped) so I'll contact you and make sure the install went through on your unit before it went out]

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Mine has been solid ever since I started adhering to those guidelines I devised that I probably should have been following from the get go.

It's also a massive improvement from the standard chinese PID I was using before. I really hope I did not understate that or undermine it.

Top Bottom