Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
Evil1 said:
I posted in the wrong section - its a kief box Im waiting for not a grinder.
I figured that from the EZ site reference. I don't think there's a thread for sifters/kief boxes. I think there's a few posts on 'em in this thread. Those Zombie boxes are nice. I may end up getting one of the 4x7's.

max,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
At the moment I have a medium two piece titanium plated Space Case, which is as big of a grinder as I can ever see me really needing. Like I mentioned earlier though, I really want a multi-chamber grinder, and Space Case's small one seems appealing. What do you people think of it being only two inches in diameter and thus having one less row of teeth? The part mentioned about how tedious loading the bud in seems to say this may not be the best option, but I do like how compact the small model is. The measurements make the larger multi-chamber models seem gigantic.

Pseudonymous,

lwien

I have the small ti SpaceCase. Great little grinder, but being that I'm grinding all my bud for my PD, I cut up all my bud in a shot glass, and then pour the fine grind back into the grinder for kief collection. The SC just doesn't grind it fine enough, and even though I can turn it upside down for a finer grind, I feel that I get better consistency using a good pair of stainless steel scissors and a shot glass.

lwien,

kalinga

lwien said:
It's been my experience that the SpaceCases and Cosmics are mechined and finished better than any grinder on the market
I think the SCs edge is in finishing/coating since most machined grinders(even cheap ones) on the market are made using CNC mills. Materials used could also play a part. There are different grades of aluminum out there. Has anyone encountered broken/snapped grinder teeths on well known brands like SC?

kalinga,

max

Out to lunch
The SC just doesn't grind it fine enough
Even the small SC has 5mm holes. The 4 pc. scout, with 3mm holes, seems best suited for PD grinding, although I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger on a small grinder where the best price I can get is $52.

I've used both the 1.5" and 2" Cosmic screen grinders, and that brand uses the fewer teeth and large holes design. And I mean LARGE holes. The 1.5" has the biggest hole to metal ratio I've ever seen-not what I expected in such a small model. Makes for a very fast grind, but depending on the particular herb you're grinding, a fine grind is best achieved with the upside down method, to keep the herb in the teeth longer.

kalinga said:
most machined grinders(even cheap ones) on the market are made using CNC mills
I don't know about most. The original Chromium Crusher isn't all CNC, and a lot of the generic cheaper grinders are partially CNC'd.

Has anyone encountered broken/snapped grinder teeths on well known brands like SC?
I suspect that CNC'd teeth are very difficult to break or bend. Never heard of any problems with higher priced brands like SC, Mendo, MixnBall, Cosmic. I also suspect that broken/bent teeth, even on cheap aluminum grinders, are the result of users trying to grind herb with large diameter stems. I've used some very cheap grinders with no problems, but I break up the buds well enough to make sure I'm not trying to grind lumber.

max,

UrDoinItWrong

I really like my 4pc Spacecase Scout, I got it on Max's recommendation because of the small diameter holes. At first I thought it was tedious loading in the bud because of the small size of the grinder, but now I just smash it all in there and reduce it to a fine grind pronto. The holes themselves have sharp enough edges to contribute to the shredding and I always get a nice consistent grind.

I agree that the SC has a superior finish/coating. There have been a few times when I overloaded it and was grinding away only to accidentally cock the lid to much to the side and collided the teeth to the side making a harsh noise. I thoughroughly checked the edges and the teeth each time and found NO scratches every time. At that point, I feel most other grinders would have been dropping some metal shavings. My buddy's sharpstone has visible scratches all over the teeth.

UrDoinItWrong,

vaporlicious

I currently have two grinders:

- A brand-less 4pc aerospace aluminum grinder [1]
- Storz & Bickel acrylic grinder [2]

I really like the pollen sifter and magnetic top on the aluminum grinder. It seems to be well made, but I've found it very difficult to get a truly fine grind out of the thing even if I grind it upside down for several minutes. Seems like the culprit is the large holes and sparse tooth configuration.

The acrylic creates, hands down, the finest ground substance of any grinder I've used, but has minimal storage and no pollen sifter (being, for all intents and purposes, a 2 piece grinder). I get some of the best vaping experiences if I use this grinder on some nice, dry herb.

My primary vaporizers (IOLite and Volcano) both seem to function best with a very fine, almost dusty, grind. Can anyone recommend a high quality grinder with sifter that will get me a nice fine grind without requiring gigantic forearms and incantations to $deity?

The Spacecase Scout looks promising, but is it going to give me the fine grind I desire?

[1] http://www.vapeworld.com/herb-grind...ders/aerospace-pollen-herb-grinder-large-84mm
[2] http://www.vapeworld.com/herb-grind...rs/volcano-vaporizer-oem-acrylic-herb-grinder

vaporlicious,

chucku

Charles Urbane
HiC said:
KeepCalm said:
Relax, you're fine!
Thanks, man. This kinda shit seriously drives me crazy. I realize silicosis only comes from long-term cumulative exposure but I just wanna kick my own ass for doing this to myself. :mad: I actually found another old ashtray I'd used and that one had more significant scratching on it. I chopped my weed like that for over a year. I'd been using a bong until recently, though, so I assume the water would have filtered out the glass if it even made it through the screen and stem. Anyway, I'll definitely not be chopping weed on glass anymore. It's amazing what a dumbass I can be sometimes.
HiC,

Instead of chopping in an ashtray, consider using a mortar and pestle. I use one when guests bring party favors and my 4 layer space case contains a different variety. You should be able to get a mortar and pestle at your local scientific/lab supply shop. They are usually made of ceramic (unglazed where the grinding is done) stone or brass and they are fairly inexpensive. I got my ceramic mortar and pestle for $6.75 from American Science and Surplus (http://www.sciplus.com).

chucku,

lwien

chucku said:
HiC said:
KeepCalm said:
Relax, you're fine!
Thanks, man. This kinda shit seriously drives me crazy. I realize silicosis only comes from long-term cumulative exposure but I just wanna kick my own ass for doing this to myself. :mad: I actually found another old ashtray I'd used and that one had more significant scratching on it. I chopped my weed like that for over a year. I'd been using a bong until recently, though, so I assume the water would have filtered out the glass if it even made it through the screen and stem. Anyway, I'll definitely not be chopping weed on glass anymore. It's amazing what a dumbass I can be sometimes.
HiC,

Instead of chopping in an ashtray, consider using a mortar and pestle. I use one when guests bring party favors and my 4 layer space case contains a different variety. You should be able to get a mortar and pestle at your local scientific/lab supply shop. They are usually made of ceramic (unglazed where the grinding is done) stone or brass and they are fairly inexpensive. I got my ceramic mortar and pestle for $6.75 from American Science and Surplus (http://www.sciplus.com).
Or just a good pair of stainless steel scissors and a shot glass.

lwien,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Does anyone know of any companies that make a comparable product to the space case scout type grinders/storage containers?

stonemonkey55,

max

Out to lunch
stonemonkey55 said:
Does anyone know of any companies that make a comparable product to the space case scout type grinders/storage containers?
Just a few generics, and the 4 pc. SC scout is the only one with a screen I've found.

max,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Max, could you link me to one? I don't need a screen, just a container that has a built in shredder like the scout but without the high price. I've been looking for a good container to haul my herbs around. I guess it doesn't even have to had a shredder, but after seeing the scout, I figured, why not have both?

Any help would be much appreciated, or links to the generics...

stonemonkey55,

vaporlicious

Hey all,

I believe I've narrowed my grinder selection down to the following grinders:

- Cosmic Mini
- Spacecase Scout

The most discernible differences are:

- Cosmic is hard anodized
- Cosmic is ~.25" larger
- Spacecase has a track record of finely ground herb (~3mm holes apparently)
- Spacecase is available from my preferred vendor

Does anyone have experience with these grinders? Anyone familiar enough to answer the following questions?

- Is the anodized surface on the Cosmic a clear win on durability? [1]
- Does the Cosmic have similar mulching qualities to the mythically fine output of the Scout?
- What is the approximate hole size on the Cosmic Mini?

I'm open to larger grinders, but I'd prefer if they produced a nice fine grind, similar to what I've heard the Scout produces. In reality, I'd be happy with any grinder that:

- Has a pollen sifter/catcher
- Magnetic top
- Durable, not going to flake when grinding
- Produces very finely ground herb

Appreciate any hints or tips you guys have to offer :)

[1] Someone claimed that his anodized Spacecase was *less* durable than the Scout which is not anodized. This is purely anecdotal, and I'm not sure what model he had or if it was actually anodized. I have anodized pots and pans and swear by them.

vaporlicious,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
stonemonkey55 said:
cosmic is comparable if not better designed, and you can find it much cheaper if you shop around

edit: ok i didnt completely read the post i was replying to the first time, but cosmic makes a 1.5" 4 pc grinder that looks nice, my cosmic 2.5 will grind very fine even with very small amounts being ground at one time

Acolyte of Zinglon,

max

Out to lunch
I have the Cosmic 1.5" and it has the largest holes I've ever seen on a grinder. I'd call it one big hole separated by some thin bits of aluminum. Makes for a very fast grind but not a fine grind unless your herb is extremely dry. Even then you can get some big chunks going through.

In comparison, the SC 4 pc. scout has 3mm holes. It's the only SC model with holes smaller than 5mm. If you want a really fine grind a two piece does it best. Grind some, open it up, take a look, and if you want it finer grind some more. You can always separate the herb that's fine enough from the herb that needs some more grinding and give that part a 2nd run through.

vaporlicious said:
Cosmic is hard anodized
I've had two (1.5 and 2") and neither is anodized.

Someone claimed that his anodized Spacecase was *less* durable than the Scout which is not anodized.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about scratches. Durability problems aren't gonna come into play with quality grinders like these. Here's a quote from SC seller Gratefulbuys.com-

"The Titanium version offers some non-stick properties, and uses an anodizing process that changes the viscosity of the aluminum, increasing it's strength by about 100% and making it dark in color. The original polished version should last a lifetime though. If you're particularly hard on things or plan to live more than one lifetime go with the titanium. Otherwise it's a matter of aesthetic preference."

My favorite overall grinder is the MixnBall, which uses organic anodizing. It's extremely scratch resistant but the biggest advantage is the non-stick property. It needs cleaning less often and doesn't get the black, ground on plant matter that's so hard to get off.

max,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
i'm not too worried about the fineness of the grind but wanted something that could double as a storage container on the go....I just don't want to spend the extra cheeze on a spacecase scout. Are there any generic knock off companies that sell container/shredder like the scout?

stonemonkey55,

runner

Basshead
A 2pc grinder can't be used as for storage on the go?

Also, what size SC would provide the best size ground bud for the LB?

runner,

max

Out to lunch
stonemonkey55 said:
Are there any generic knock off companies that sell container/shredder like the scout?
Warehouse Goods and Kelly's Great Products on eBay-$10-12.

runner said:

You can store what you've ground. The only storage space in a 2 pc. is between the teeth. The LB works best with fine ground, so the 4 pc. Scout would be the best option.

max,

vaporlicious

max said:
My favorite overall grinder is the MixnBall, which uses organic anodizing. It's extremely scratch resistant but the biggest advantage is the non-stick property. It needs cleaning less often and doesn't get the black, ground on plant matter that's so hard to get off.
You happy with the size of substance you get out of the MixnBall? Is it comparable to the SC Scout that you've recommended for its grind quality?

vaporlicious,

runner

Basshead
max said:
stonemonkey55 said:
Are there any generic knock off companies that sell container/shredder like the scout?
Warehouse Goods and Kelly's Great Products on eBay-$10-12.

runner said:

You can store what you've ground. The only storage space in a 2 pc. is between the teeth. The LB works best with fine ground, so the 4 pc. Scout would be the best option.
Aw I understand, and thanks.

runner,

max

Out to lunch
Actually, the LB is most efficient with a really fine grind, so I'd have to recommend a two piece as best for that vape.

vaporlicious said:
You happy with the size of substance you get out of the MixnBall?
For the most part and with most herb. I have a MB two piece as well, so if I want a finer grind for the LB, I use that. I haven't used the SC Scout. I just know it has 3mm holes. I do have a 1.75" grinder with 3mm holes, which gives a little finer grind than the MB, which has 4.5mm I believe. No screen grinder can compete with a good two piece for a really fine grind though.

max,

owin

max said:
Actually, the LB is most efficient with a really fine grind, so I'd have to recommend a two piece as best for that vape.

vaporlicious said:
For the most part and with most herb. I have a MB two piece as well, so if I want a finer grind for the LB, I use that. I haven't used the SC Scout. I just know it has 3mm holes. I do have a 1.75" grinder with 3mm holes, which gives a little finer grind than the MB, which has 4.5mm I believe. No screen grinder can compete with a good two piece for a really fine grind though.
What do you use for your PD? The 1.75" grinder with 3mm holes or the 2 piece?

owin,

runner

Basshead
max said:

vaporlicious said:
I planned on getting a 2pc anyway lol. I don't need to collect kief.

runner,

rayski

runner said:
max said:

vaporlicious said:
I planned on getting a 2pc anyway lol. I don't need to collect kief.
mb has the Combat(stash box herb grinder) for $25.http://www.mixnball.com/shop/herb-grinders/classics/combat-herb-grinder.html

rayski,
Top Bottom