Herb Grinders

SquirrelMaster

It is actually called Old Mate Designs, OMD, for the company and "Aroma-3" for the actual grinder btw I just call it OMD grinder personally lol easy mistake I think at least

Also the latest designs have improved the top opening in a few ways and perhaps further finalized if you check in thread for anyone else who sees this... I am really loving mine as well and have been using my BCGs (I have too many now lol) much less
I'll blame that on a little Saturday evening flower/live resin/gin 😆. I totally knew the name I swear :ko:

If the new Aroma-3 is able to be opened one handed then it's a win.
I really like my OMD but I've basically gone back to using my BCGs full time now. It's just more comfortable for me to use. Feels nnatural.
I like opening and closing the BCG. It's effortless, you can't mess it up. Once loaded though, there seems to be a little less resistance with the Aroma-3. It's also bigger though which can be good or bad. They are both such good grinders honestly.

I will say, I haven't judged the performance of the Aroma-3 if left uncleaned. We already know the BCG kills it in that department. That's an area where I find other stainless grinders like the Herb Ripper or UMG fall behind if left unmaintained. With the cooler weather my bud isn't as sticky either and it's just warming up here.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'll blame that on a little Saturday evening flower/live resin/gin 😆. I totally knew the name I swear :ko:

If the new Aroma-3 is able to be opened one handed then it's a win.

I like opening and closing the BCG. It's effortless, you can't mess it up. Once loaded though, there seems to be a little less resistance with the Aroma-3. It's also bigger though which can be good or bad. They are both such good grinders honestly.

I will say, I haven't judged the performance of the Aroma-3 if left uncleaned. We already know the BCG kills it in that department. That's an area where I find other stainless grinders like the Herb Ripper or UMG fall behind if left unmaintained. With the cooler weather my bud isn't as sticky either and it's just warming up here.

Haha I believed in you! Honestly I cannot open either of them one-handed regardless... :shrug:

IONIX99

Hello fellows, I am new to the game and like to get a decent grinder right on the start.
What are the best grinder Deald Atm? And what good Stainless Steel grinder are there besides the BCG and the Aroma 3 for around 100 bucks or less? I welcome anny suggestions and Opinions.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I still feel like the BCG is the best grinder out there, but the SS version is pricey and significantly over $100. Don't know if they have a 420 sale...

Just checked and they do, and it brings the price down to $114.75. Pretty close, but you have to wait a little while for it...

SquirrelMaster

Hello fellows, I am new to the game and like to get a decent grinder right on the start.
What are the best grinder Deald Atm? And what good Stainless Steel grinder are there besides the BCG and the Aroma 3 for around 100 bucks or less? I welcome anny suggestions and Opinions.
I would only go for an OMD Aroma-3 or BCG for a stainless option. If cost is an issue then an aluminum BCG.

There are a few other stainless grinders like the Iaso, Herb Ripper, ss Lift, ZAM, and United Maching Grinder (possibly not made anymore) to name a few. Some are better than others, but there's a reason the BCG is regarded as the best grinder by many,and the Aroma-3 is nearly on par, depending on who you ask.

I would avoid the Flowermill because of the dust issues.

All BCG's are on sale currently (code on website).

BuzzDanklin

I am also going to recommend the BCG, I have at least a few dozen different grinders and whenever I get done testing a new one, the BCG always finds its way right back into being the main grinder again. They currently have the 15% off sale with coupon code: "420SALE2023"

IONIX99

I still feel like the BCG is the best grinder out there

but there's a reason the BCG is regarded as the best grinder by many

I am also going to recommend the BCG
Id love to get a BCG but the shiping cost to Europe are 80 USD and thats more than what the Grinder itself would cost.

There are a few other stainless grinders like the Iaso, Herb Ripper, ss Lift, ZAM, and United Maching Grinder (possibly not made anymore) to name a few
Do you think the OMD would be a Better Option than these you listed? And what do you Guys think about the Santa Cruz Shredder?

Besides that I am very sorry for my English skills haha

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Do you think the OMD would be a Better Option than these you listed? And what do you Guys think about the Santa Cruz Shredder?
I like the OMD better than all those. It's second only to the BCG for me. The SCS is fine but jams often for me and needs frequent cleaning. The Herb Ripper was one of my most disappointing cannabis purchases. It is basically just a stainless steel SCS.

So yeah, if I could not get a BCG, I would grab an OMD. It's a little awkward to take around with you but it's a great grinder to have at home. Also I know that he has made improvements since I got my founder's edition.

SquirrelMaster

Id love to get a BCG but the shiping cost to Europe are 80 USD and thats more than what the Grinder itself would cost.

Besides that I am very sorry for my English skills haha
The Aroma-3 is better than the Herb Ripper and UMG. The OMD grinds effortlessly.
I haven't tried the others but I feel safe saying it's a better option. I don't like the labyrinth (iirc) design of the Iaso as it takes up grinder space. The Lift is over engineered imo, plus it's way more expensive. ZAM may be ok but it doesn't stand out to me.

I wouldn't go for a Santa Cruz based on what other have said in this thread.

The OMD Aroma-3 is a very very nice.

@Grass Yes
Yeah the Herb Ripper jams up too easily and performance drops off when it isn't cleaned. It "works" i.e. I won't throw it out, but the OMD and BCG are in another league.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
d love to get a BCG but the shiping cost to Europe are 80 USD and thats more than what the Grinder itself would cost.
Yeah, that shipping is a little nuts. Too bad if they don't have a distributor in the EU. :( I haven't seen it but if the OMD is available reasonably it seems to be second choice of most at this point. I took a look at their site and I like the "grippiness" of their design, tho I didn't see a stainless one there, so if stainless is important I think you might be stuck paying the money or compromising...

Shit Snacks

haven't seen it but if the OMD is available reasonably it seems to be second choice of most at this point. I took a look at their site and I like the "grippiness" of their design, tho I didn't see a stainless one there, so if stainless is important I think you might be stuck paying the money or compromising.

I'd suggest checking out the thread for Old Mate, it has become my first choice and I am a huge BCG advocate too! They're very different, you don't really grip the OMD in the same way like a normal grinder, because you can spin it instead, it is very grippy though especially the latest design and yes stainless steel is the default actually!

Shit Snacks

I guess I'll have to. I think you told me the BCG was gonna be my last grinder. :suspicious:

Ooooop well I do have six of them so I am obviously crazy and you were a fool to listen regardless! ;):lol::mental:seriously though I think the BCG is more versatile and perhaps more useful overall, I think the OMD is a bit more effortless, although I don't have as much control over the grind, it is easier to use...

LesPlenty

Company Rep
How does OMD hold up in terms of not needing to be cleaned like a BCG?
After just cleaning my Old Mate (and GFL BCG for the first time in 2 years) I noticed that someone smarter than myself noted that cleaning the teeth makes grinding easier.
Both of the premium grinders I have spun fine but had build-up on the cutters. Since cleaning it is quite noticeable the grinders are much easier to start moving as they cut rather than smash/grind (like an old wooden grinder with nails for cutters). Also, the ground material is much fluffier with both grinders and the material seems to fall thru to the catch area more quickly.
So the short story for myself is that I will be ultrasonic cleaning my grinders more often...like myself, they will get a good clean once a month whether I think the cleaning needs to be done or not.:tup:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
it's time to give it a bath. I don't have a sonic cleaner, but I do have ISO.
Some like to use iso in a zip-lock bag or iso agitated with a toothbrush (glasses recommended:science:) if in a hurry but I recommend a glass jar as you can sit it on a speaker and ramp up the volume...or just soak the grinder with vaping the reclaim eventually if needed/wanted (I save mine in a mason jar).
1681545063126-jpg.45681

Only 25ml needed

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
My current GrAS stash, a little bit of everything.

Big Chief was a head shop item, my first real grinder, 4 piece and did a solid enough job.

Had several BCG’s (I’ve had 5 grinders stolen from me :(), currently just a regular with coarse and medium plates. BCG is legit, although I don’t like that they eliminated the faceted bottom, part of what makes a BCG so great is how it feels in your hand!

Picked up the CH two piece when I got my B2 because a pint of VAS needs a GrAS chaser; not a huge fan of the two piece ritual but if you’re into that it’s a fantastic piece.

And finally got my OM, it’s another fantastic piece. It’s hefty, feels great in the hand, effortless to grind and impossible to put down when you’re high. I would like to see a coarse plate option from OM, it does suffer from needing to coax the last few bits down the chute now and again.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Three were a “break in” (exactly the weekend after my landlord let workers into my unit without me there) where the only things taken were my weed, my grinders, and my guns. The other 2 were the first FC specials from OM, stolen off my porch before I even got to see them!!!

All in the last 18 months, two different states and no I don’t live in either now!

Top Bottom