Herb Grinders

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
max said:
aesthyrian said:
No metal ever touches my herb
What's your point? No plastic touches my herb during the grinding process, but what would it matter if it did?

Well, clearly if you don't care then it does not matter, to you. To me it might matter because of impurities from the grinder ending up in my herb, like plastics or metals from a cheaper grinder that I would end up vaping. I figure since people are always so paranoid about what metals are used and what tubing is safe that having flakes of metal or plastic in your bud would be of concern. Buy a quality grinder and you'll have no problems I'm sure, but I've used many cheaper (though not priced cheap) grinders of my own and friends and have seen little metal shavings mix in with the herb on occasion.

So yeah, I'm slightly paranoid and since I found a way to completely bypass that danger, I am now worry free.

aesthyrian,

stuey

The mendo's are supposed to be good grinders.

You cant get them in the UK so I have never used one but they are supposed to be good.

You cant beat a space case, but thats not to say it cant be equaled.

At the end of the day, the SC is a well made, sturdy grinder than grinds well and could last someone a lifetime.. or certainly many many years.. that's pretty much what I have heard about Mendos too!

stuey,

stuey

aesthyrian said:
max said:
aesthyrian said:
What's your point? No plastic touches my herb during the grinding process, but what would it matter if it did?

Well, clearly if you don't care then it does not matter, to you. To me it might matter because of impurities from the grinder ending up in my herb, like plastics or metals from a cheaper grinder that I would end up vaping. I figure since people are always so paranoid about what metals are used and what tubing is safe that having flakes of metal or plastic in your bud would be of concern. Buy a quality grinder and you'll have no problems I'm sure, but I've used many cheaper (though not priced cheap) grinders of my own and friends and have seen little metal shavings mix in with the herb on occasion.

So yeah, I'm slightly paranoid and since I found a way to completely bypass that danger, I am now worry free.

Plastic breaks easy, you are more likely to get plastic shavings in the mix than metal. Think about it, which material scrapes off easier? and as it scratches it holds the dirt more than metal.

Cheap metal are not good as they often have metal grinding directly on metal due to poor manufacturing, but a quality metal piece is infinitely superior to plastic. (cost a lot too!)

stuey,

max

Out to lunch
aesthyrian said:
max said:
aesthyrian said:

I was responding to your statement that no metal touches your herb. You didn't mention plastic, nor did you answer the question of why it matters that metal touches herb. You seem to be implying that metal contact itself is somehow harmful, and clearly it's not. I've used some cheap generic grinders, although not anything purchased in a gas station, and I've not seen any metal flakes from any grinder that I've used so far. It doesn't cost much these days to get an all CNC made grinder that's made from quality aluminum. Plant material isn't going to be that tough on grinder teeth. I've even taken large diameter stems to teeth and tried to create some shavings. All I've seen is wood shavings. I'm sure there are some crappy grinders out there, but you can get a high quality, medium size 4 pc. for as little as $15 now. You don't need to spend a lot to get a good grinder.

stuey said:
Cheap metal are not good as they often have metal grinding directly on metal due to poor manufacturing, but a quality metal piece is infinitely superior to plastic. (cost a lot too!)
Metal on metal shouldn't happen. Any QC at all should prevent it. I did get a TrueBlendz one time where the top teeth scraped on the floor of the bottom section- again, no QC at all, or it would have been caught before it shipped. If a grinder is designed to use an o-ring, and one isn't installed, something like that may happen in that case. Teeth hitting other teeth shouldn't happen. If it does, then the design is bad and it seems like every unit would have the same problem.

max,

stuey

max said:
Metal on metal shouldn't happen. Any QC at all should prevent it. I did get a TrueBlendz one time where the top teeth scraped on the floor of the bottom section- again, no QC at all, or it would have been caught before it shipped. If a grinder is designed to use an o-ring, and one isn't installed, something like that may happen in that case. Teeth hitting other teeth shouldn't happen. If it does, then the design is bad and it seems like every unit would have the same problem.

It depends on the manufacturing tollerences.

In order to grind the teeth have to pass extremely close to eachother, otherwise it just stirs the herb.

Poor tollerences can have have metal scraping against metal.

You have to remember that many of the cheaper products are literally knocked up in someone's shed. We aren't talking multi million dollar companies with world wide factories, we are literally talking about someone with a lathe .. which is where the majority of the cheap stuff comes from.

stuey,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
max said:
I was responding to your statement that no metal touches your herb. You didn't mention plastic, nor did you answer the question of why it matters that metal touches herb. You seem to be implying that metal contact itself is somehow harmful, and clearly it's not. I've used some cheap generic grinders, although not anything purchased in a gas station, and I've not seen any metal flakes from any grinder that I've used so far. It doesn't cost much these days to get an all CNC made grinder that's made from quality aluminum. Plant material isn't going to be that tough on grinder teeth. I've even taken large diameter stems to teeth and tried to create some shavings. All I've seen is wood shavings. I'm sure there are some crappy grinders out there, but you can get a high quality, medium size 4 pc. for as little as $15 now. You don't need to spend a lot to get a good grinder.

stuey said:

Like I said, if you don't care then it does not matter to you. It's a personal preference and I do not feel like I stated it as the end all truth to bud grinding, those were not my intentions. Next time I can write that after every sentence if needed.

I used to store my bud in a plastic jar and it would taste like plastic eventually after being in the container for a few weeks. In food safety, aluminum is pretty controversial and cans need a coating to avoid leeching, and awhile I very highly doubt any contaminants get into your bud by just having it sit in the grinder, I will easily just avoid any chance and all personal worries since It's unnecessary for my personal needs. I have used and still own a CNC aluminum grinder that has given me plenty of metal shavings upon the first few uses. And yes, it's not of high quality clearly as a high quality grinder would not have these problems, I could have bough a quality space case for an extra 10 bucks most likely, and of course this problem has been worse with plastic grinders.

So given the fact that a grinder is not entirely necessary to own, and I have wasted more money than I like to admit on them, I have decided I do not like to use them, and won't. Hence the sifter box fills my needs of storage without affecting the taste, drying my herb out and collecting keif.

All I'm suggesting is people should just buy quality grinders the first time if they plan to use one or feel the need to own one, do some research and don't just buy any grinder they have at your local headshop. And preferably store bud in glass or a wooden box to avoid any unwanted taste if that matters to you, It's made a huge difference to me.

once again, my :2c:, my opinion. That's all.

Happy grinding:lol:

aesthyrian,

stinkmeaner

aesthyrian said:
I used to store my bud in a plastic jar and it would taste like plastic eventually after being in the container for a few weeks. In food safety, aluminum is pretty controversial and cans need a coating to avoid leeching, and awhile I very highly doubt any contaminants get into your bud by just having it sit in the grinder, I will easily just avoid any chance and all personal worries since It's unnecessary for my personal needs. I have used and still own a CNC aluminum grinder that has given me plenty of metal shavings upon the first few uses. And yes, it's not of high quality clearly as a high quality grinder would not have these problems,:

I wonder what you would have done before the internet where you can look up all of these health concerns, surely you have more to worry about in your life than storing bud in a plastic jar, I have done this for years and have never noticed a smell.

I have never seen a grinder (even cheap ones) give aluminum shavings, are you sure it is not the anodizing?

If this is really happening it is because there CNC program design is wrong, not just because it is a cheap grinder, frankly I am tired of hearing this debate. Even if there were aluminum shavings in your bud they will not hurt you since vaping temperatures are not thigh enough, heck people have been smoking from aluminum at much higher temps for years and if this was a problem then they could just use a different metal and probably save money as well since aluminum can be higher than many metals.

If you can afford it the Space Case or Mendo Mulcher is what to go for since they are made in the USA but cheap grinders can be just as good as long as they are CNC from aluminum alloy, only thing I have noticed different from the cheapies is the fit & finish is less than a Space Case but that doesn't mean it doesn't do the same thing.

stinkmeaner,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
my 2pc small space case is wearing off (chipping) on the inside. i thought spacecases don't do this???!

Elluzion,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
stinkmeaner said:
I have never seen a grinder (even cheap ones) give aluminum shavings, are you sure it is not the anodizing?
Not sure. I have very little understanding about anodizing, but can you explain? I can tell you that whatever metallic flakes I have found in the past where sharp and pointy at the ends and I was able to pick them out with tweezers, though some where really tiny. The worst was the free grinder I got from puff it up with my MFLB, I saw metallic flakes in my herb after the first grind.

stinkmeaner said:
heck people have been smoking from aluminum at much higher temps for years and if this was a problem then they could just use a different metal and probably save money as well since aluminum can be higher than many metals.

People do a lot of stupid things. I hope you aren't actually condoning smoking from aluminum. We all know vaping is different and can be debated, but combustion and aluminum is, at least I always thought, just a horrible idea. Especially when apples are cheap. :lol:

aesthyrian,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i don't use a grinder, as most of the herbs i get are still soft and gooey.
i use a knife or scalpel and a cutting board, and i get it pretty fine.

OO,

PuffItUp

Retailer
Screwdriver said:
heartvapor said:
Can anyone recommend a grinder that will grind extremely fine? I need it finely ground for use in the Magic-Flight Launch Box. I got a 4-piece aluminum CNC grinder free with my Launch Box, but it only grinds my bud to tiny pieces, but they're still pieces. I want almost powder.

From everything I've heard, 2-piece grinders will always get a finer grind. I don't want to spend more than about $25-$30

I found this: http://www.mixnball.com/shop/herb-grinders/classics/magnetic-metal-herb-grinder.html

Mix'n'Ball 2.2" 2-piece grinder for $16.50 + $5.25 shipping, so about $22 total.

Anyone have this grinder? Will it grind it extremely finely? Or are there other grinders that will grind more finely

thanks
I got the same grinder with my LB....if you got it from puffitup. I tossed mine in the trash. Where the surfaces rubbed, the aluminum started galling. I ended up buying a 2pc Cosmic from a local head shop for $22. It's a beautiful grinder and works perfect with the LB.

If you want ultra fine herbs, Hold the grinder upside down and grind all you want. Then when it is fine enough, turn it back and let the herbs fall through the holes.

We have a new version of the PuffItUp grinder, It now has a nylon ring to keep the metal from grinding. We also added a stronger magnet, a new design, and stronger teeth. if you email me at Randy@puffitup.com I'll send you one.

PuffItUp,

stinkmeaner

PuffItUp said:
We have a new version of the PuffItUp grinder, It now has a nylon ring to keep the metal from grinding. We also added a stronger magnet, a new design, and stronger teeth..
It the picture must not be current on the site because I don't see Nylon O'rings but will the teeth have the same shape? Just curious because they have an interesting and almost conical shape.

stinkmeaner,
PuffItUp said:
Screwdriver said:
heartvapor said:
Can anyone recommend a grinder that will grind extremely fine? I need it finely ground for use in the Magic-Flight Launch Box. I got a 4-piece aluminum CNC grinder free with my Launch Box, but it only grinds my bud to tiny pieces, but they're still pieces. I want almost powder.

From everything I've heard, 2-piece grinders will always get a finer grind. I don't want to spend more than about $25-$30

I found this: http://www.mixnball.com/shop/herb-grinders/classics/magnetic-metal-herb-grinder.html

Mix'n'Ball 2.2" 2-piece grinder for $16.50 + $5.25 shipping, so about $22 total.

Anyone have this grinder? Will it grind it extremely finely? Or are there other grinders that will grind more finely

thanks
I got the same grinder with my LB....if you got it from puffitup. I tossed mine in the trash. Where the surfaces rubbed, the aluminum started galling. I ended up buying a 2pc Cosmic from a local head shop for $22. It's a beautiful grinder and works perfect with the LB.

If you want ultra fine herbs, Hold the grinder upside down and grind all you want. Then when it is fine enough, turn it back and let the herbs fall through the holes.

We have a new version of the PuffItUp grinder, It now has a nylon ring to keep the metal from grinding. We also added a stronger magnet, a new design, and stronger teeth. if you email me at Randy@puffitup.com I'll send you one.

Worth noting this down as example one million of excellent puffitup service.

charliedontsurf,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
PuffItUp said:
Screwdriver said:
heartvapor said:

thanks

That's good to hear since the free grinder I received from you guys with my MFLB produces some questionable things, but since it was a free gift with my MFLB which I already got a great price on, I didn't care. Really surprising for you to be replacing free gifts though, that's some good customer service!

aesthyrian,
My mflb just came with a little red acrylic grinder, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I actually am fond of that little red guy though.

charliedontsurf,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I'm looking for a new grinder (2 maybe), and I hate to say it, but price isn't an object. I used to have a 3 inch Sharpstone with a little handle on top to help turn it. I got it as a present from GF because of bad Arthritis. Welllllll....stupidity set in, and I loaded way too much herb in the grinder and stripped the gears that would allow the handle to turn the grinder. So now I keep this grinder in the freezer for kief generation.

I bought a 1.5 inch Sharpstone without handle, and I've got nothing but dislike for it. It's manual, hard as hell for me to turn (I've got trouble opening ziplock bags about half the time), holds only a small amount of herb, and doesn't produce a uniform grind (at the moment I'm using an Extreme .v3 primarily and anSSV/Launchbox secondarily).

Is there anything out there that a) can grind larger quantities, b) is almost zero effort to turn and c) produce a uniform and fine grind? I've read, but am not sure if it is true, that an all titanium construction can allo for easier turning.

And seeing as how I am dreaming, what about one where the threads on the storage/kief compartment are for a lefty (threads reversed)? Ah you know....righty tighty left loosey but the other way.

Thanks for any pointers.

Tom

tdavie,
i like mr coffee electric grinder with the removeable bowl, i kinda break up bud 1st into little pieces then fill up gram or 11 grams & a few second pulses later its gr8 fine grind for mflb or eQ or myrtle zap

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

stinkmeaner

charliedontsurf said:
My mflb just came with a little red acrylic grinder, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I actually am fond of that little red guy though.
Sounds just like me, I have a 3pc Mendo & 2pc Space Case, but I still find myself reaching for the orange colored acrylic grinder that came with the Volcano, it stays cleaner, but when it needs cleaning, it is much easier.

stinkmeaner,

SmokingElectricity

This is my first post. Hope you enjoy :)

Vaporizers and grinders go hand and hand, like peas and carrots. i've been doin alot of research on grinders the past few weeks, reading how some aluminum grinders due to friction can cause aluminum dust to possibly mix with your blend of choice. This made me a little concerned, i have a 3 pcs non-aluminum chromium crusher that came with my da buddha. Its almost usless due to the fact the kief builds up and gets caught in the holes. Also the screen in it is shot. my normal stand-by was a 2.5 inch, 4pcs diamond grind. Works great, it's just aluminum and it doesn't spin smooth on the threads. So last week i upgraded to the 2.5 inch 5pcs non-aluminum chromium crusher for $29.99 shipped on amazon. She is a beauty. Only concern though is the friction ring seems flimsy a bit. I've seen others made of titanium. Pretty expensive.

What grinder do you use and what do you think about aluminum vs. non-aluminum grinders???

5pcscrusher.jpg

4pcsdiamond.jpg

3pcscrusher.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I have an aluminum grinder with a "Dr Puffer" logo on the front. I like it, but if I can sell it to a friend I plan to get titanium just because it will give me piece of mind and it should be the last grinder I'll EVER need.

darkrom,

VB-MFLB

Greetings everyone -

I am in the process of looking at grinders that resemble the spacecase scout. I love spacecase, as I currently own a 4 piece large titanium, but was wondering if any other manufactures sell a similar product. I saw knockoffs on ebay and I think aerospace also makes one. Any one have any scout like grinders? If so, which ones and what do you think of them. Thanks. Also, Ive seen scout look-a-likes but they are sifter grinders and I dont want that.

with much peace and love vapor brother and sisters

VB-MFLB,

max

Out to lunch
Aluminum dust? I've never heard of that, even with cheap grinders. Bent/broken teeth and even aluminum shavings have been reported, but never dust. Anyone producing grinders would be dumb to use aluminum that's so low grade as to disintegrate with friction from grinding (if that's even possible). These days it's quite affordable to use quality aluminum and a 100% CNC process to avoid broken or bent teeth.

SmokingElectricity said:
i have a 3 pcs non-aluminum chromium crusher that came with my da buddha. Its almost usless due to the fact the kief builds up and gets caught in the holes.
Personally, I don't see the point to a grinder with holes and no screen, but grinder holes are big, so if you clean it on a regular basis, seems like you'd avoid getting the holes clogged.

Chromium Crusher is the only metal grinder on the market, to my knowledge, that's not aluminum. It's an alloy- zinc and steel, or black chrome, aluminum, and nickel. Who knows? Different sellers list different alloys. And good luck contacting the company that actually makes 'em. But the alloy CC is much heavier than aluminum grinders. CC has also had an aluminum version in the past. Don't know if that's still available or not. I've owned both the alloy CC and the aluminum, and much preferred the aluminum, mainly due to the lighter weight and fewer number of teeth.

There are no grinders made of titanium. Space Case supposedly uses a titanium coating (anodized) on some of their grinders, but as a protective coating, it doesn't hold up as well as the anodized coating on MixnBall grinders.

max,

SmokingElectricity

max said:
Aluminum dust? I've never heard of that, even with cheap grinders. Bent/broken teeth and even aluminum shavings have been reported, but never dust. Anyone producing grinders would be dumb to use aluminum that's so low grade as to disintegrate with friction from grinding (if that's even possible). These days it's quite affordable to use quality aluminum and a 100% CNC process to avoid broken or bent teeth.

SmokingElectricity said:
i have a 3 pcs non-aluminum chromium crusher that came with my da buddha. Its almost usless due to the fact the kief builds up and gets caught in the holes.
Personally, I don't see the point to a grinder with holes and no screen, but grinder holes are big, so if you clean it on a regular basis, seems like you'd avoid getting the holes clogged.

Chromium Crusher is the only metal grinder on the market, to my knowledge, that's not aluminum. It's an alloy- zinc and steel, or black chrome, aluminum, and nickel. Who knows? Different sellers list different alloys. And good luck contacting the company that actually makes 'em. But the alloy CC is much heavier than aluminum grinders. CC has also had an aluminum version in the past. Don't know if that's still available or not. I've owned both the alloy CC and the aluminum, and much preferred the aluminum, mainly due to the lighter weight and fewer number of teeth.

There are no grinders made of titanium. Space Case supposedly uses a titanium coating (anodized) on some of their grinders, but as a protective coating, it doesn't hold up as well as the anodized coating on MixnBall grinders.

Their are titanium coated grinders and there are solid titanium grinders [yeah the 4pcs ones that go for 90-110 bucks] I also like the weight of the crusher. holds up well in the freezer. The 3pcs crusher works fine, but is no good for the freezer trick. I don't need to clean it. this started after first use. stick to 4pcs grinders for the freezer trick.

SmokingElectricity,

lwien

SmokingElectricity said:
Their are titanium coated grinders and there are solid titanium grinders [yeah the 4pcs ones that go for 90-110 bucks]

Solid ti grinders? I've never seen one. Can you post up a link?

lwien,

SmokingElectricity

lwien said:
SmokingElectricity said:
Their are titanium coated grinders and there are solid titanium grinders [yeah the 4pcs ones that go for 90-110 bucks]

Solid ti grinders? I've never seen one. Can you post up a link?

my mistake. i did not know that the space case were only titanium coating.

nice avi :)

SmokingElectricity,
Top Bottom