Herb Grinders

Screwdriver

heartvapor said:
Can anyone recommend a grinder that will grind extremely fine? I need it finely ground for use in the Magic-Flight Launch Box. I got a 4-piece aluminum CNC grinder free with my Launch Box, but it only grinds my bud to tiny pieces, but they're still pieces. I want almost powder.

From everything I've heard, 2-piece grinders will always get a finer grind. I don't want to spend more than about $25-$30

I found this: http://www.mixnball.com/shop/herb-grinders/classics/magnetic-metal-herb-grinder.html

Mix'n'Ball 2.2" 2-piece grinder for $16.50 + $5.25 shipping, so about $22 total.

Anyone have this grinder? Will it grind it extremely finely? Or are there other grinders that will grind more finely

thanks
I got the same grinder with my LB....if you got it from puffitup. I tossed mine in the trash. Where the surfaces rubbed, the aluminum started galling. I ended up buying a 2pc Cosmic from a local head shop for $22. It's a beautiful grinder and works perfect with the LB.

Screwdriver,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
heartvapor: I just purchased a Rosewood 2-piece, 3-inch grinder from EdsTNT.com This is a wood grinder but a very high quality grinder. It's capable of grinding to almost a powder and looks good while doing it. This grinder also comes in a 4-inch, which I thought a bit large. The price is right at $8.89 for the 3-inch, and $10.89 for the 4-inch and that includes shipping. I'm not really that fond of the sterile clinical industrial appearance of the metal grinders, so I prefer wood. Iv'e read good reviews on this grinder. If it doesn't work out for you, or don't like it for some reason you havn't spent allot of $$

Good vaping and good luck with finding a suitable grinder.

Lycanthrope,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
glad you like ed's grinder - i have both the 3 and 4" so dirt cheap it's not much of a decision and very high quality.
the 4" works with the PD stem for straw like inhalation by the way.

jeffp,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
jeffp
Thanks for the information concerning the 4-inch working with the stems; I wouldn't have thought of that. The 3-inch is so nice I think that I'll get the 4-inch and see how it works with my stems and at $10 why not. Youre past comments and reviews on Ed's wood grinders are what convinced me to get one.

heartvapor, I highly recommend that you get one and try it out. I think that jeffp would agree with that. How can you go wrong?

Lycanthrope,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Like I said before, if it jams a little when you turn it the easy fix is to rub a little buzz butter or something like that along the rim; it smooths it out fine.
Sometimes less is more.

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
panasonic said:
Believe it or not, the Mix n Ball grinder came. I don't have a camera but I'll post pictures later. I'm not super impressed for the money, the coating has several scratches and blemishes, there's no magnets, and the screen appears to be held in place with adhesive. Ah well. at least it came.
I don't have the Classic Screen, which I believe is the one you said you ordered, but I do have every model but that and the Combat. The removable screens on mine are bonded on with some kind of adhesive, but the grinder design requires that method to be used. Years of use, including using a dime or other object to knock loose kief, have not caused any problems with screens. I suspect any scratches or blemishes were a result of the anodizing process, since the coating is scratch proof, unless you'd like to try actually digging into the metal as if you wanted to carve your initials. I've never tried to dig into the coating. That's not real world use.

Screwdriver said:
I am pretty sure Mix N Ball is DOA. Their 818 phone number is disconnected.
I believe panasonic ordered direct, so apparently they're shipping product. Dealing with them directly is still an iffy proposition though IMO.

max,

panasonic

I mean, it works alright, I guess I was just expecting a little better for the price. Especially the lack of magnets, and the poor fit and finish. Also, it has a plastic O-ring which I specifically tried to avoid. I'll shoot Dan an email and see what he says.

panasonic,

max

Out to lunch
The only MB model that's not supposed to have magnets is the Nano-too small. The magnets are two small ones in the rim. It locks when they line up. The only model with an o-ring is supposed to be the Combat. I have every model but the Classic Screen and Combat, and they all have magnets (Nano excepted) and no o-rings. They sell replacement o-rings, but only for the Combat. I'm really surprised you'd have one on a Classic. :hmm:

As for fit and finish, I've had no complaints and have owned or handled quite a few. The top of my Triple Screen appears to have some scratches, but they're actually a result of an imperfect anodizing job. Should have been redone (don't know if you can re-anodize or not-probably not), or rejected in QC, but it doesn't really bother me. Otherwise I've had no complaint with fit or finish. The looks hold up better, due to the coating, than any other grinder I've used, including Space Case. Certainly everything fits like it should.

turns extremely poorly if you get any material whatsoever in between the inside of the 'female' portion and outside of the 'male' portion
I have to get quite a bit of plant material on a rim side to impede turning. The screen models I have are designed to load in the lower section (with the center post), so getting herb between the sections isn't a problem. I only have that issue with the two piece Nano, where design has to be compromised to get the small size, and the 2 pc. Classic.

Sorry you're not happy with your grinder. Some don't like the MB design for the screen models-it is different, but I like the versatility and anodized coating. Put it up for sale and see if you get any bites.

jeffp said:
glad you like ed's grinder - i have both the 3 and 4" so dirt cheap it's not much of a decision and very high quality.
the 4" works with the PD stem for straw like inhalation by the way.
I may have to get one of these. I do like his wood and don't smoke, so that limits my product selection.

max,

panasonic

Yeah I'm not really super unhappy, just kinda disappointed that the product doesn't seem to match what was listed on the site at all. It's like the teeth are the same and that's about it.

panasonic,

heartvapor

Lycanthrope said:
heartvapor: I just purchased a Rosewood 2-piece, 3-inch grinder from EdsTNT.com This is a wood grinder but a very high quality grinder. It's capable of grinding to almost a powder and looks good while doing it. This grinder also comes in a 4-inch, which I thought a bit large. The price is right at $8.89 for the 3-inch, and $10.89 for the 4-inch and that includes shipping. I'm not really that fond of the sterile clinical industrial appearance of the metal grinders, so I prefer wood. Iv'e read good reviews on this grinder. If it doesn't work out for you, or don't like it for some reason you havn't spent allot of $$

Good vaping and good luck with finding a suitable grinder.
Actually, I already have a wooden grinder, looks just about the same as the one on EdsTNT, but it definitely doesn't grind finely enough for use with the Launch Box. The 4-piece CNC grinder that I got free does a way better job, it's just still not fine enough. It's still just small pieces, but I need a near-powder consistency.

The Mix-N-Ball I was considering is the classic 2-piece. It looks like a really good grinder. Why are people so against it? I get that their customer service hasn't been good lately, but should I just try to find it on a retailer's website?

If someone could recommend another grinder that's under $30, that can grind extremely fine, I'd really appreciate it. So far the best I could find was the 2-piece MnB, and it looks pretty good to me. The complaints I've read in this thread seem to be either about their customer service, or the 4-piece grinders. Has anyone used the 2-piece classic?

Here's what it looks like:

classic-v3-grinder-in-hand_1.jpg

classic-v3-magnets_1.jpg

heartvapor,

jimbo

winterize
If someone could recommend another grinder that's under $30, that can grind extremely fine, I'd really appreciate it.
I picked up a small mendo mulcher (1.75" 2pc.) off of ebay from roxndave for $17.00, gets the herb pretty fine.. Here's mendos web
site if you don't wanna bother with ebay..http://www.mendomulchers.com/

jimbo,

max

Out to lunch
The Mix-N-Ball I was considering is the classic 2-piece. It looks like a really good grinder. Why are people so against it? I get that their customer service hasn't been good lately, but should I just try to find it on a retailer's website?
I've seen no negative comments on the MB 2 pc. grinders. I have the Classic and MegaLeaf, which is 1/2" larger and has an interior wall to keep the bud in place. I use 'em both and like 'em both. The MegaLeaf sells for $35-40, which is just too damn much for any 2 pc. IMO. But smokestop419 on eBay has multiple MegaLeafs for $20 delivered, which makes it a better buy than the Classic, which AFAIK is only in stock at MB, and is $21.75 w/shipping. The Mega grinds as fine as the Classic.

You should also consider the small 2 pc. Space Case. With 15% FC discount, it's about the same $ as the MB Classic, maybe a buck or two cheaper.

max,

heartvapor

They have such a professional looking website, and really well known grinders. What happened to them?

Can I trust their 2-piece grinders (bought from someone else)? Or should I try to find something else...

Again, my main/only criteria is a very very fine grind. As close to powder as possible.

heartvapor,

panasonic

I personally would not trust MixNBall directly having received a completely different product than what I thought I ordered. If a third party vendor can assure you by sending a photo of the product prior to ordering, then I'd go for it. But the current "generation" of his products appear to be 'prototypes' from switching production to a different manufacturer. Or at least, he basically told me I should be happy with what I got because it's an 'improved product' even though it's clearly worse.

panasonic,

Cappella Sistina

The MnB name was purchased from the original owner. The new line coming out, is noticiably lower in quality.

I was able to review 7 samples, and ended up tossing out all 7 units.(Normally when I would get sample's, if they were at minimum descent, I would give them to friends or what have you)

Cappella Sistina,

heartvapor

So then why would it be any better ordering from a retailer? Aren't they likely to have the same bad grinders?

heartvapor,

stinkmeaner

heartvapor said:
So then why would it be any better ordering from a retailer? Aren't they likely to have the same bad grinders?
Panasonic already answered this but I will explain again. The reason is because they could have old stock so only order if you can confirm ithe grinder is of the old generation by having the vender show you a picture of the actual Mix N Ball grinder he/she is going to send.

stinkmeaner,

heartvapor

stinkmeaner said:
heartvapor said:
Panasonic already answered this but I will explain again. The reason is because they could have old stock so only order if you can confirm ithe grinder is of the old generation by having the vender show you a picture of the actual Mix N Ball grinder he/she is going to send.
I have no idea what the difference is between the old/good grinder and the new/bad one. Can someone post pictures of each so I can tell the difference?

Or can someone recommend another good grinder? The only other recommendation someone posted was the 2-piece Space Case, but the one within my price range is kind of small. I'm still considering it (or paying more for the medium), but are there any other good 2-piece grinders? As I posted before, all I'm looking for is whatever grinder will give me an incredibly fine grind. The grinder I have now (4-piece CNC aluminum) grinds my bud to a light and fluffy texture, but it's far from powder. They're just very small pieces, but I want a much more fine grind. If the Space Case is known to give the finest grind, I'll get that. But if there are any other brands you guys can recommend, I'd really appreciate it.

thanks

heartvapor,

lwien

If you're looking to grind to powder, maybe a look at an electric grinder would be a better choice.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
i think an electric coffee grinder will be way too aggressive and uncontrollable and the powder will clog the air path for vaporizing.
i use the coffee grinder for brownie preparation and that's it.
for what you want - a very fine grind from an inexpensive grinder - the answer in my opinion is simple and it's a good answer -
get either the 3 or 4" rosewood grinder from ed's tnt - about ten bucks. believe me, problem SOLVED and you will enjoy it.

jeffp,

heartvapor

Someone (maybe it was you) suggested that to me earlier, and I said that I have a wooden grinder that I got at a headshop for $5 or $10. It looks exactly like that one. But it doesn't grind anywhere close to powder. It gets close to what my 4-piece does, pretty light and fluffy but it's still "pieces". It's just small enough to roll good joints.

Maybe those are good if you put in a decent amount of bud, like 2 grams or something. But unless it's stuffed, it doesn't grind fine enough because the pegs aren't that close together. That's why I'm looking for a 2-piece metal one, where the teeth are sharp, and very close together.

Anyway, I'm about to get a quarter ounce, so maybe I can try out the wooden grinder again, but putting more bud in this time. Do you think that'll do the trick? I feel like if it's stuffed, it might be better at getting a finer consistency.

heartvapor,
Top Bottom