Herb Grinders

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
I'm very happy with my Medium titanium 2-piece space case. It grinds pretty much like a coffee grinder, but is much easier, as I don't grind that often and so put the coffee grinder away in the cabinet (it's dedicated to mj). So having the 2 piece Space Case handy makes it the go to grinder for me.

MoeOnTheMoon,

dkbs

stinkmeaner said:
dkbs- is your old Space Case the titanium coated version? if so how is the finish holding up after all that time?
no, it is the standard shiny, back when i bought the old 2 pc space case ((6 yrs plus)) i dont remember titanium being a option.. mine has been used and abused and is still in very good shape, but there are scrathes on it.. i opted for the standard shiny finish again, since i dont care if it gets some road wear..

dkbs,

Frickr

well i got my chromium crusher in. dont have any good mj to put through it right this second. just some shwag. but even on this tough brick it slices right through it. my only complaint is the shallow chamber for your herb. i dont see this being much of a problem as i usually only grind smaller amounts at a time.

the machining seems to be pretty good quality. i got the blue version and in some places already from twisting the top, the coating has worn away. this is on the outside and i assume this would be normal wear. overall im impressed with what 20 dollars can get you.

Frickr,

greenmachinexlt

NoFuxLeft
I have a 2.5" CC 4pcs. It's the steel one. It grinds smoothly and I like the weight. It reminds me of an old sweatleaf metal grinder I had years ago.

I wanted to talk about the screen chamber for a minute. Before I bought this grinder, I read the reviews found on here and there are a lot of complaints about the screen chamber being too small, and that almost turned me off to getting a CC. I decided that for less than 20 bucks shipped, I'd try one.

The CC chamber is 3/8" deep, while the chamber of a no name 4pcs grinder I have measures 1/2" in depth. While the CC chamber is obviously more shallow, it still suits my needs well. I normally grind about .5 to 1 gram at a time and have no spillage.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

greenmachinexlt,

Qbit

cannabanana
So I've been using one of these:

04-15958_sm.jpg

I'm a PD user, and this seems to do a reasonable job, at least if I run the herb through it two or three times.

So how superior are the purpose built weed grinders to one of these? Do you think I would be well served in investing in one? For the PD in particular?

Qbit,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
I would end up grinding my finger tips off with that thing, also it looks huge?. Definitely buy a nice 2pc for your PD. Lots of good recommendations in this thread.

DeepFried,

max

Out to lunch
freeman dyson said:
I have never used a grinder before and need one for the iolite I just ordered. I am thinking about getting this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-25-4PCS-CHROM...6QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101

What do you guys think? I dont really want to spend more than $20.
That's the original Chromium Crusher-steel and nickel. It's got quality machining, it's very heavy (compared to aluminum), and has lots of teeth and holes. Good deal for the money. The newer style is all CNC, lightweight, has fewer teeth (much easier loading and no noticeable difference in the grind), and 4 colors are available. Either one is an excellent buy IMO. The original has Space Case style teeth and holes, and the all CNC has the SC aircraft quality aluminum. I've got both and prefer the new aluminum for the all CNC machining and the easier loading.

New style:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-25-4PC-CNC-CH...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a70e08ba

Qbit said:
So how superior are the purpose built weed grinders to one of these? Do you think I would be well served in investing in one? For the PD in particular?
I don't know how fine a grind you're getting with the crank grinder, but a two piece herb grinder will give you a hell of a fine grind in a hurry. It's not perfect-somewhat uneven. But you can always separate out the finely ground herb and put the rest back in for another run through. You can also get a fine grind from a 4 pc. by turning it over so the herb stays in the grinding chamber. For the PD I usually use a 4 pc. if I want to screen out kief, then run it through the 2 pc. for a finer grind. I think I just like playing with grinders. :/

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
for every issue there's a tissue.
i like the cc and use it with the pd - if i want a finer grind or a more consistent grind i give it an after ground once over with a manicuring scissor. also if you want a consistent fine grind a cheap mortar and pestle works well. the upside or downside to that, however you look at it, is that there's no kief separation meaning that it retains itself to the bud moreso.

jeffp,

Keyser Soze

Kevin
Retailer
stinkmeaner said:
dkbs- is your old Space Case the titanium coated version? if so how is the finish holding up after all that time?
The titanium Space Case grinders, are anodized. As long as you never wash your S.C in a dishwaher, or scrape it with metal objects...the finish should last forever.

Normally, when you hear of Anodized finishing coming off, or wearing off with time....it is because the material anodized was Aluminum(the S.C you're refering to is titanium). This is also a commonly heard problem with kithcen utencils, which are constantly heated and cooled, washed improperly or taken care of improperly.

Keyser Soze,

Qbit

cannabanana
DeepFried said:
I would end up grinding my finger tips off with that thing, also it looks huge?. Definitely buy a nice 2pc for your PD. Lots of good recommendations in this thread.
Grind off your fingertips? Um, no. You hold the main handle in your left hand and you turn the grinder with the small handle in your right. No danger to fingertips anywhere. Although at about 20cm/8' long, it's obviously bigger than your standard weed grinder - but space isn't an issue for me.

I was hoping that someone here might have actually had experience using one of these grinders, so that they might be able to make a comparison. These grinders are used for pot very commonly here in Australia, as they have been available in kitchen supply stores as parsley grinders. And while I understand that people here like their grinders, I'm yet to be convinced that they would do any better a job for my needs than this one.

Mind you, I think I would like a nice, top-shelf weed grinder at some point (probably an SC), but I guess I'm not feeling any urgency at the moment. The parsley grinder obviously won't quite reduce the herb to a powder (I also have an electric spice grinder if I want to do that), but it seems like a good consistency for the PD (since PD's don't like powder).

So I might put the new grinder purchase on the backburner for now, although I'm all ears for any killer arguments for why I should get one immediately.

Qbit,

Keyser Soze

Kevin
Retailer
Qbit said:
I was hoping that someone here might have actually had experience using one of these grinders, so that they might be able to make a comparison. These grinders are used for pot very commonly here in Australia, as they have been available in kitchen supply stores as parsley grinders. And while I understand that people here like their grinders, I'm yet to be convinced that they would do any better a job for my needs than this one.
I know these grinder's(you talk about) are great for speariment/parsley and other herbs. As are the standard, hand held one's mentioned in this forum. However, I dont think its a case of one kind being better than the other...at least not when talking about a hand held one VS a larger kitchen one like your showing. It's just one type, might be more practical for everday use.

In some case's with people who use Vaporizer's, there may be a medical condition which could effect there mobility and/or dexterity. So to hold on to a large item with one hand, while cranking a handle with the other, would be a bit more hard/tiresome VS someone with the same ailment using a hand held/portable device.

A lot of time, it's just like wine/music/life......different strokes for different folks.

I.M.O

Keyser Soze,

Qbit

cannabanana
VaporStar said:
Qbit said:
I know these grinder's(you talk about) are great for speariment/parsley and other herbs. As are the standard, hand held one's mentioned in this forum. However, I dont think its a case of one kind being better than the other...at least not when talking about a hand held one VS a larger kitchen one like your showing. It's just one type, might be more practical for everday use.

In some case's with people who use Vaporizer's, there may be a medical condition which could effect there mobility and/or dexterity. So to hold on to a large item with one hand, while cranking a handle with the other, would be a bit more hard/tiresome VS someone with the same ailment using a hand held/portable device.

A lot of time, it's just like wine/music/life......different strokes for different folks.

I.M.O
Thanks VS. So the real advantage of the conventional weed grinders is that they're compact and enclosed, and easy to use. Fair enough. Yeah, I'll probably invest in one eventually, but it's not a high priority at the moment.

Qbit,

Frickr

DONT BUY THE COLORED CHROMIUM CRUSHER.

washed mine out with some iso to clean it off, and my paint started to come off. needless to say im not to happy.

Frickr,

aero18

vaporist
Qbit said:
Thanks VS. So the real advantage of the conventional weed grinders is that they're compact and enclosed, and easy to use. Fair enough. Yeah, I'll probably invest in one eventually, but it's not a high priority at the moment.
How's cleaning? I would imagine that conventional grinders are easier to clean and would require less time and less ISO. That grinder looks like it has lots of crevices for kief to accumulate (I've never seen one so I don't really know).

Also, are tobacco grinders banned in Australia? I know that water pipes are.:/

aero18,

max

Out to lunch
Frickr said:

washed mine out with some iso to clean it off, and my paint started to come off. needless to say im not to happy.
I always wondered about colored grinders. The only one I ever owned was a black TrueBlendz. It was my first brand name brand grinder purchase, and it was defective. It was easy to tell since it was colored. The problem was that the teeth in the top section made contact with the bottom of the other section and scraped the color off. I was pissed on two fronts. #1- a simple turn or two for QC purposes would have prevented this grinder from ever being shipped. #2-TrueBlendz has no warranty, so I had to not only pay return shipping, but pay a $6 restocking fee. I think I got about half my money back. Needless to say, I warned people away from that brand, and was hesitant to purchase another colored grinder of any brand.

It seems to me that if the color comes off with ISO cleaning, manufacturers would have creased producing colored grinders a long time ago. :/ At least two CC sellers, vaporizerdealer.com and 'save$4you' (eBay) have at least a one year warranty on these grinders. If you bought from either seller, I'd suggest contacting them for a warranty return.

max,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I received a freebie colored metal grinder with a purchase... Looked black but I went to wash it prior to use and blue'ish color came off in the sink, on paper towels... It was kind of gross and after several washes it was still bleeding.... I never used that 'free' grinder!!

Lo,

Frickr

max said:
Frickr said:

I always wondered about colored grinders. The only one I ever owned was a black TrueBlendz. It was my first brand name brand grinder purchase, and it was defective. It was easy to tell since it was colored. The problem was that the teeth in the top section made contact with the bottom of the other section and scraped the color off. I was pissed on two fronts. #1- a simple turn or two for QC purposes would have prevented this grinder from ever being shipped. #2-TrueBlendz has no warranty, so I had to not only pay return shipping, but pay a $6 restocking fee. I think I got about half my money back. Needless to say, I warned people away from that brand, and was hesitant to purchase another colored grinder of any brand.

It seems to me that if the color comes off with ISO cleaning, manufacturers would have creased producing colored grinders a long time ago. :/ At least two CC sellers, vaporizerdealer.com and 'save$4you' (eBay) have at least a one year warranty on these grinders. If you bought from either seller, I'd suggest contacting them for a warranty return.
well the good news is the color only came off on the screen section of the grinder. the rest of the grinder stood up to the soak in iso. i sent an email to the company i bought it from as soon as i seen it happen and offered to send pictures of the damage. and im still wating on their reply back. had one yesterdayt that only asked if i had used the grinder and if i washed it out before i used it. i made it clear that if this is a common problem then there should be a disclaimer saying not to wash with iso. as everything ive read said that this is one of the best ways to clean grinders. i asked for alternative methods of cleaning as they did not give instructions at all. so just have to wait and see. i asked them to replace the unit for health reasons as i dont really want the paint coming off in my grind and having me ingest it.

Frickr,

Portability

supreme thru sovereignty
my grinder and my herb was stolen out of my backpack by some fuck head. :mad:
so im back in the grinder market. can anybody recommend a good grinder?

Portability,

Ash

vaporist
I love my 2 pc titanium Space Case (size - small). With the FC discount at Grateful Buys I think it was about $25. The only downside is no keif collection. But, I'm not such a heavy toker that I would collect a whole lot of keif anyway. I partake more days than not, but usually in small amounts. If you have to have a 4 piece, then the Space Case grinders start getting prohibitably expensive. But that's just my budget.

The smoky dark purple color of the titanim finish is very slick, and I appreciate not having to worry about metal flakes, or paint rubbing off on my herbs.

Vaporoutlet is also now selling Space Case, and also has good FC discounts. My only other recommendation is to stay away from Mix'n Ball. I can't comment on the quality of the product, which is said to be excellent, because I never received what I ordered. :mad:

:2c: :peace:

Ash,

Portability

supreme thru sovereignty
Whats up guys,
Just recently got back into the grinder market because mine was stolen along with all my herb. :mad: question is, which should i go with, a 2 pc. titanium space case or a 4 pc. 2.5'' chromium crusher? (my budget is $40)
:peace:

Portability,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
2 piece grinder can easily give you a finer grind that some people find ideal for many vapes. A 4 piece grinder has a keif catcher though and is also very convenient. 4 piece grinders also provide the perfect grind for rolling with IMO

bluntfaced,

Qbit

cannabanana
aero18 said:
Qbit said:
How's cleaning? I would imagine that conventional grinders are easier to clean and would require less time and less ISO. That grinder looks like it has lots of crevices for kief to accumulate (I've never seen one so I don't really know).
Well I only grind dry crumbly weed, so I don't really get build-up.

Also, are tobacco grinders banned in Australia? I know that water pipes are.:/
No, that's just Queensland - they're weird there. ;)

Qbit,

Frickr

well great news. they will be replacing my chromium crusher. i love this grinder, but didnt like the fact that i couldnt clean it with alcohol. so i am trading for a gunmetal version. so far im very impressed with http://www.chromiumcrusherherbgrinders.com/ costumer service. they have been very helpful and respectful.

Frickr,
Top Bottom