Herb Grinders

Justpassedu

You gotta buy the entire Solid Body Grinder, then buy the storage puck, then you're set. Since you have the GR8TR already, you could just buy the storage puck and be good to go, but only with the fine plate.

Kannastor were supposed to sell the plates separately, but it never materialized.
Ehh to much work , i am fine the way it is , just a minor pain .

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
Hi y'all, I'm looking for some grinder advice. I am in the market for a grinder that is:
  • 2"+ in diameter
  • Collects kief
  • Fine grind
  • High quality, etc.
I have a 2" SCS that is a few years old and I am not the biggest fan at this point. I am in Canada if anyone has good suggestions for places to buy the suggested grinder. The best prices that I have seen for the SLX and Kannastors is zoneutopia.com. I don't know if this is the best place for me to purchase from, nor do I know which grinder would be best for me. Thanks in advance for the advice.

little maggie

I have the gr8tr and the slx. I've removed the screens from both- I really prefer 3 part grinders but those seem pretty rare. Anyway I like both of them but prefer the depth of the gr8tr since I only grind what I'm going to use in a couple of days and don't store ground herb separately.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
seROeUR.jpg

I found this in my mailbox an hour or two ago. It's a matte black Interplanetary Development Super Weapon II. First impressions:
  • Nice packaging.
  • Looks nice.
  • Feels nice.
  • Turns smoothly.
  • Fairly fine screen.
  • Nice threading. Threading and unthreading requires much less work than probably every other grinder I've owned.
  • Deep, large capacity hopper.
  • Tall. It's a couple millimeters taller than my small/medium SCS.
  • Magnet does what it's supposed to do.
  • The loading area is nice, especially since my manual dexterity keeps going downhill.
I have only put one nug through it so far, so I don't feel like I have enough experience yet to say much about its performance. I'll do that once I get to know it a little better.

Anyone familiar with my posting history in this thread knows I have owned several Santa Cruz Shredders (7). Although I am quite a fan of SCS grinders, I'm not a fanboy. The SWII is comparable to SCS in all the areas listed above, and has a more useful screen and knurling than my current SCS. Also, the screen is easily removable.

Pleasant surprise(s).

od1

I have the gr8tr and the slx. I've removed the screens from both- I really prefer 3 part grinders but those seem pretty rare. Anyway I like both of them but prefer the depth of the gr8tr since I only grind what I'm going to use in a couple of days and don't store ground herb separately.

The Gr8tr has more options, so I may end up going for that. By depth do you mean the length of the grinding chamber, or the fact that it has built-in storage?

How do you feel about the grind between the Gr8tr and the SLX? There are differing accounts on the last page.

And have you used an Herbalizer with them?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Is there more than a size difference between the 2" and the 2.4" SLX? Could just .4" difference account for a doubling of the teeth between them?

"With 55 razor-sharp teeth in the standard size, and 27 in the pocket size"

cybrguy,

little maggie

The Gr8tr has more options, so I may end up going for that. By depth do you mean the length of the grinding chamber, or the fact that it has built-in storage?

How do you feel about the grind between the Gr8tr and the SLX? There are differing accounts on the last page.

And have you used an Herbalizer with them?
The SLX is very shallow even with the screen removed. It would work better for someone who grinds and then moves the herb to a different container or someone who was going to use the herb right away. I started with a smaller SLX and even though I've had no problems with small grinders the slx was just too limited.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Is there more than a size difference between the 2" and the 2.4" SLX? Could just .4" difference account for a doubling of the teeth between them?

"With 55 razor-sharp teeth in the standard size, and 27 in the pocket size"

Some here say the smaller isn't as good. I'd go with the big, I don't grind a lot at a time normally, but it's nice to have all those teeth.

I actually find the slx working very well for grinding a small amount to use over a couple days @little maggie it may be shallow but it is wide which is nice, and again the nonstick is just lovely. Ground up some purple clementine in it last night, a little more upside down and it's did quite well.

I feel the same way about three pieces and doing a little at a time, often letting it sit in the grinder for a few days as I use it (depending on strain, though now I have so many grinders I can't separate that way).

My GR8TR has a shallower pan than my SLX actually, but that's because it's the solid body and I removed he middle sifter section

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
a bunch of sealed plastic bags, a button with the logo and some square little silver thing.

The sealed bags are smellproof bags that ID also sells. They're neat but I had no use for em either.

The button with the logo is a kief coin or whatever. I don't use it.

The silver thing is a kief scraper. I don't use that either, and opt for a guitar pick instead.

abcd5432

seROeUR.jpg

I found this in my mailbox an hour or two ago. It's a matte black Interplanetary Development Super Weapon II. First impressions:
  • Nice packaging.
  • Looks nice.
  • Feels nice.
  • Turns smoothly.
  • Fairly fine screen.
  • Nice threading. Threading and unthreading requires much less work than probably every other grinder I've owned.
  • Deep, large capacity hopper.
  • Tall. It's a couple millimeters taller than my small/medium SCS.
  • Magnet does what it's supposed to do.
  • The loading area is nice, especially since my manual dexterity keeps going downhill.
I have only put one nug through it so far, so I don't feel like I have enough experience yet to say much about its performance. I'll do that once I get to know it a little better.

Anyone familiar with my posting history in this thread knows I have owned several Santa Cruz Shredders (7). Although I am quite a fan of SCS grinders, I'm not a fanboy. The SWII is comparable to SCS in all the areas listed above, and has a more useful screen and knurling than my current SCS. Also, the screen is easily removable.

Pleasant surprise(s).

Like I've been saying.
There is no reason why the SCS is that price other than brand name recognition. There is no way I can recommend it when there are better grinders available that offer more, or comparable grinders to the SCS for less.

Hi y'all, I'm looking for some grinder advice. I am in the market for a grinder that is:
  • 2"+ in diameter
  • Collects kief
  • Fine grind
  • High quality, etc.
I have a 2" SCS that is a few years old and I am not the biggest fan at this point. I am in Canada if anyone has good suggestions for places to buy the suggested grinder. The best prices that I have seen for the SLX and Kannastors is zoneutopia.com. I don't know if this is the best place for me to purchase from, nor do I know which grinder would be best for me. Thanks in advance for the advice.

On the fine grind aspect, you can just turn the grinder upside. I turn the grinding section upside everytime when grinding to get a fine grind.

I like my SLX because it doesn't gunk up as much but unless you're trying to split hairs, you aren't going to get much better than the SCS you have. It's still a good grinder. If you're in the market for a new grinder, I'm not recommending the SCS, but if you have one, I'd only recommend replacing it for specific features you want.
For me, I couldn't STAND the small amounts of bud that would get caked onto the SCS I have.

That's a small thing to spend $50+ just because.

My 2 cents on getting a new grinder when you have the SCS already.

Last edited by a moderator:

od1

I may end up getting a Gr8tr just because I'm borrowing a grinder, and I've never owned a good one myself. The Gr8tr looks like it has just about all the options possible, except for that nice coating, so it should give me an idea of what I do and don't like.

I don't know if I'll want to collect kief, but it looks like the SLX doesn't offer different sized screens, correct?

Seems like the warranties for both products are about equivalent, and both companies offer good customer service from what I've read here.

Opinions on whether to go for the Solid Body or Jar Gr8tr?

Thanks.

od1,

little maggie

I tried a short experiment grinding a bit of banana kush in the gr8tr (solid body), slx and super weapon. One thing I noticed is that it was difficult starting the slx which would not be a problem for someone with normal motor strength. To me the grind on the super weapon was comparable to the slx with the gr8tr being fluffier than the other 2. All 3 were ok though.

I like that the super weapon is modular like the gr8tr- all the parts come apart. It was easy to convert it into a 3 piece. And, for me the most positive aspect, it turned very easily. Almost as easily as the lift. If that continues the lift may end up in my discard pile.

I don't know how long the half price sale will last but I think the super weapon 2 is high quality and comparable to both the slx and gr8tr. For $25 on sale I'd probably choose this over the other 2. My second choice is the gr8tr although I never change the size of the grind so would probably get the one that only has 1 grinder plate.

InterplanetaryTanner

Interplanetary Development
Manufacturer
So far my only complaint is all the useless stuff that came in the

The sealed bags are smellproof bags that ID also sells. They're neat but I had no use for em either.

The button with the logo is a kief coin or whatever. I don't use it.

The silver thing is a kief scraper. I don't use that either, and opt for a guitar pick instead.

Yep. You nailed all 3 of them muunch.

The metal pick contours to the bottom piece. And I've heard good things about the coin. Might be worth giving them a try? For science of course.

Aimless Ryan

Wow. I never thought to do that lmao. I can't believe I didn't think to do that...

You can totally just turn the sw2 into a 3pc by just removing the section with the screen. Hot damn.

Thanks maggie! :tup:
Don't remove the section with the screen. Remove the screen itself and leave all the other parts there. That way you have a huge hopper.

Unless that's what you meant. If so, disregard me.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I was doing that at first (actually never used it like that, but I guess I DID that first) but the little ledge from where the screen goes will catch some herb and stuff.

I should have realized the threading was the same but... :shrug::doh:

It makes it nice and small if you remove the screen section (easily pocketable)and I'm sure it could fit around 1.5g~ still.

Just figured I'd mention it since a lot of people are not interested in sifting kif. Removing the screen will give you a huge chamber but there will be little crevices to loose trichomes to!

Aimless Ryan

Like I've been saying.
There is no reason why the SCS is that price other than brand name recognition. There is no way I can recommend it when there are better grinders available that offer more, or comparable grinders to the SCS for less.

The thing that really bugs me about Santa Cruz Shredder is that if you buy the same SCS model every three months or so, you will probably never have two identical grinders. And their changes usually are not improvements. Like when they started putting vertical grooves all around the outside of the male part of the lid, which only makes it sound and feel like metal on metal abrasion. And other things like that.

As much as I like their stuff, I will probably never buy another one because: 1) SCS never stops updating; and 2) The updates usually suck. Particularly the slight change in their knurling. SCS used to produce by far the best knurling of any grinder I'd ever used. Now it's useless. Literally.

That probably doesn't matter to most people, but my hands are very weak and damn near feelingless.

verdampersweats

Some time ago I heard a lot about the grinders -> space case, http://www.spacecasegrinders.com/, I still look for some reference for FC of these grinders...

I understand that it does not appeal to yous ?? :hmm:

I have the biggest sizes in both 4 and 2 pc in titanium and thinking about selling both actually. They work like beasts i hardly clean it and it is immaculate but the grind dammit the holes are 5mm wide i recently got supposed dutch dragon and this stuff is done green in my herbo because it is a lumpy strain.

It doesnt work well it needs to be finer for vaping but still collecting pollen, So i am seriouisly thinking of investing in a quality 150 micron mesh and grind in the two peice over that for a few bounces and voila. You control the grind there is no grinder race to buy and re-sell it is what i see a timeless thing like the wheel.

So if i can find or build a high quality system for doing this, They will be replaced and i will never spend money again on grinders.

Whissmu

I finally read some criticism of that grinder,thank of @rodders83 :clap: Many thanks for your comments! :tup:
time ago I was about to buy one... But not decided on none :hmm:, later I fell in love with the gr8tr :love:

health!!

Whissmu,
Reactions: Prolusio

od1

I tried a short experiment grinding a bit of banana kush in the gr8tr (solid body), slx and super weapon. One thing I noticed is that it was difficult starting the slx which would not be a problem for someone with normal motor strength. To me the grind on the super weapon was comparable to the slx with the gr8tr being fluffier than the other 2. All 3 were ok though.

I like that the super weapon is modular like the gr8tr- all the parts come apart. It was easy to convert it into a 3 piece. And, for me the most positive aspect, it turned very easily. Almost as easily as the lift. If that continues the lift may end up in my discard pile.

I don't know how long the half price sale will last but I think the super weapon 2 is high quality and comparable to both the slx and gr8tr. For $25 on sale I'd probably choose this over the other 2. My second choice is the gr8tr although I never change the size of the grind so would probably get the one that only has 1 grinder plate.

Thanks for doing this review. If the Gr8tr gives the fluffiest results, I'll go with that one. They all have lifetime warranties, so I'd like to do it right the first time, even if the Gr8tr's pricier. I'm assuming they'll have a 4/20 sale. Is the Kannastor site the best place to get one? I live in the US if that makes a difference.

Right now I'm thinking about getting the Solid Body one, since cannabis should be kept out of the light if you store some in the chamber. I guess the advantage of the Jar one is that it should be easier to see when the grind is done without removing the lid.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Some time ago I heard a lot about the grinders -> space case, http://www.spacecasegrinders.com/, I still look for some reference for FC of these grinders...

I understand that it does not appeal to yous ?? :hmm:
Space Case makes great grinders but the grind isn't fine enough for a lot of vapes. It's perfect grind for smoking, large and chunky, which is the opposite of what I need for a vape. Chunks don't completely vape to the core which is no good. I want to see every flower broken when I look in the bottom tray so that more surface area is exposed.

SoDelicious

Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Thanks for doing this review. If the Gr8tr gives the fluffiest results, I'll go with that one. They all have lifetime warranties, so I'd like to do it right the first time, even if the Gr8tr's pricier. I'm assuming they'll have a 4/20 sale. Is the Kannastor site the best place to get one? I live in the US if that makes a difference.

Right now I'm thinking about getting the Solid Body one, since cannabis should be kept out of the light if you store some in the chamber. I guess the advantage of the Jar one is that it should be easier to see when the grind is done without removing the lid.

I will be purchasing the solid body kannastor for basically the same reasons on 4/20. I think it's best to purchase from the official site since you get free shipping in USA.

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
On the fine grind aspect, you can just turn the grinder upside. I turn the grinding section upside everytime when grinding to get a fine grind.

I like my SLX because it doesn't gunk up as much but unless you're trying to split hairs, you aren't going to get much better than the SCS you have. It's still a good grinder. If you're in the market for a new grinder, I'm not recommending the SCS, but if you have one, I'd only recommend replacing it for specific features you want.
For me, I couldn't STAND the small amounts of bud that would get caked onto the SCS I have.

That's a small thing to spend $50+ just because.

My 2 cents on getting a new grinder when you have the SCS already.
Thank you for this response. I have had the SCS for a few years using it upside m down mostly and it is showing its age. Even after a cleaning it doesn't get fully clean. Then again, I don't clean it for very long periods of time. :uhoh: But I agree that I don't like the amount that gets caked on there, and the kief sticks a lot to the top piece of the grinder. At this point I can't even screw the whole thing closed properly and I don't think I have been able to for a long time.

The grinder that I am leaning towards right now is the super weapon II. For those that have one, I like a fine grind, does it get caked with herb and kief if I were to do some turns upside down? Do the different colours have a different feel for their finish/impact on kief sticking to the grinder?

Top Bottom