Healthiest Portable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublimationpurist

formerly stephenking
I want to get a portable pretty soon. I want it to be discreet and as clean and good tasting as possible. I really like the way the mflb works, it's the only portable I've used. My only hesitations with the mflb are the wood isn't organic, the trench cover is made from plastic, and I suspect the trench is aluminum or something to heat up so quickly. Am I correct in these assumptions?

If there isn't a fully non-toxic portable I might just go for a log, which would probably be the epicvape since I think it's the only one with a glass airpath.

I'm just wondering what the smallest, healthiest, portable would be for a purist like myself.

sublimationpurist,

quentin123

Gnome, lighter based vaporizers are 100% glass, while I haven't used them myself I have used similar techniques for vaporizing and was incredibly surprised at how effective it was.

If you aren't wanting a lighter based vaporizer I highly recommend the Arizer solo. The m106 and m107 models are purely stainless steel and glass and taste very clean.

quentin123,
Reactions: Oly Sotto

max

Out to lunch
Organic wood? That's a new one for me. As for the other 'toxic' materials you're worried about on the MF, the screen is safe at vaping temps, and the acrylic cover isn't exposed to high temps.

As for the Epicvape, if you're concerned about the materials on the MF (you shouldn't be), then you should be concerned about the metal and plastic in the whip (you shouldn't be).

If an all glass vapor path is what you're looking for, consider the Vapolution. It's a portable not much bigger than the Epic, and with the AIW bowl (included with the 'FC special'), is all glass and only $100.

If you're looking at other vapes I'd suggest adopting a more realistic view on materials, and the temps they're actually exposed to.

max,

sublimationpurist

formerly stephenking
Cool, thanks for the feedback guys! Max, I would agree that acrylic that isn't exposed to high heat isn't a health concern. Many metals though, including impure stainless steel, has well documented unhealthy effects even without applying heat. Like drinking liquids out of aluminum. Of course, cooking with aluminum is much worse. You aren't sure the MFLB trench is stainless steel?

I realize my views are not mainstream. After all, dentists used to put mercury into people's mouths and that vaporizes at room temperature. They've quietly stopped doing that now, and the mainstream media will never talk about how the FDA now claims mercury amalgam fillings are dangerous and advises they never be used.

The vapolution looks the best to me so far.
Thanks for the help!

sublimationpurist,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I want to get a portable pretty soon. I want it to be discreet and as clean and good tasting as possible. I really like the way the mflb works, it's the only portable I've used. My only hesitations with the mflb are the wood isn't organic, the trench cover is made from plastic, and I suspect the trench is aluminum or something to heat up so quickly. Am I correct in these assumptions?

If there isn't a fully non-toxic portable I might just go for a log, which would probably be the epicvape since I think it's the only one with a glass airpath.

I'm just wondering what the smallest, healthiest, portable would be for a purist like myself.

Organic: I don't think that word means what you think it means. The LB is made from wood. Wood is, by definition, organic.

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys! Max, I would agree that acrylic that isn't exposed to high heat isn't a health concern. Many metals though, including impure stainless steel, has well documented unhealthy effects even without applying heat. Like drinking liquids out of aluminum. Of course, cooking with aluminum is much worse. You aren't sure the MFLB trench is stainless steel?

I realize my views are not mainstream. After all, dentists used to put mercury into people's mouths and that vaporizes at room temperature. They've quietly stopped doing that now, and the mainstream media will never talk about how the FDA now claims mercury amalgam fillings are dangerous and advises they never be used.

The vapolution looks the best to me so far.
Thanks for the help!
The LB uses stainless steel mesh for the screen. It is the same stainless steel used to make cooking pans. See 4.2 What materials are used to make the Launch Box? If vapourizing through stainless steel mesh were really a health hazard (which it is not) most of us would be in deep, deep doodoo.

pakalolo,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
ThermoVape FTW! Best tasting portable - and can be cleaned completely!

Also, there is a "Palm" vaporizer coming out which boasts all glass...

Other than that, an all glass pipe as mentioned, but you'llhave to be a bit more careful...unlike the ThermoVape, you can't run over them with a car, and use them as a dogs fetch toy. :D

sessnet,
Reactions: darkrom

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
the Vapbong might fit your bill. Mainly glass, with the exception of the metal screen and a tiny silicone carb. No butane fumes, no heated element, just hot glass, herb and screen.

WatTyler,

weedemon

enthusiast
Gnome, lighter based vaporizers are 100% glass.

if you are going for healthiest then the gn0me wins imo... cant beat an all glass airpath with no fumes of any kind.

the vapolution is the same idea if you use the AIW bowl a good option for a home unit.

the Cloud is right up there with em except is uses a SS bowl to hold the herbs.

weedemon,

sublimationpurist

formerly stephenking
Organic: I don't think that word means what you think it means. The LB is made from wood. Wood is, by definition, organic.
Thanks for pointing that out, what I meant is wood grown on land that never had pesticides used on it or wild-harvested. The definition of Certified Organic for food in US is no pesticides used on the land for around 7 years. Plants and trees uptake the chemicals like Agent Orange and MSG that are now sprayed on them.

Lots of cool vapes to look at, thanks so much! I haven't heard about most of these, so I'll do some research on them. I'm thinking I don't want a butane based vape even if there aren't any fumes because a flame draws more visual attention than something like the MFLB.

WatTyler That Vapbong looks really cool. It's too bad it's disguised as a pen but says "VAPBONG" in huge letters, that could have been extremely discreet. Still, the most interesting portable I've seen probably. And holy crap you have a lot of vapes! Looks like you own or have owned lots of portables.

sublimationpurist,
Totally off topic but it is funny how some food is marketed "organic" when in reality ALL plants an animals are organic. All it means is that it contains crabon and isn't a mineral.

SpaceKracker,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
The gnome doesn't get my vote for stealth, but despite from that, it is one of my favourite vapes.
It is however the cleanest, purest portable I own/am aware of. (I guess the vapocane is very similar, but ive never used it or looked to thoroughly into it.)

It has an all glass air & vapor path (I've seen some vapes claim an all glass "vapor" path, meaning it's only all glass after the herb...)

Using a torch will draw some attention, and with a small pocket torch, the heatup time is 30-60 seconds.
Have fun looking, let us know what you decide on :tup:

Frederick McGuire,

djonkoman

Totally off topic but it is funny how some food is marketed "organic" when in reality ALL plants an animals are organic. All it means is that it contains crabon and isn't a mineral.
I think it's deduced from the fertilizer, fed with mineral fertilizer vs. organic fertilizer.
if you take organic as the chemistry term, indeed all food is organic, but lots of terms are used in different fields with varying meanings.

but I don't think you'll ever find wood advertised as organic, since no fertilizers are used and, as faer as I know. no pesticides or herbicides either. just some trees are cut down and new ones planted
so I think all wood is organic, altpugh there is a slight chance they planted old farmland with trees and pesticides were used on that farmland, but by the time those trees are big enough that it's worth harvesting them, the 7 year period mentioned by the OP has already passed.
so only under unlikely/exceptional circumstances wood won't be organic in this terminology I think.
what you CAN look at with wood is if it has certifications with regards to proper harvesting, maintaining forests etc

djonkoman,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
WatTyler That Vapbong looks really cool. It's too bad it's disguised as a pen but says "VAPBONG" in huge letters, that could have been extremely discreet. Still, the most interesting portable I've seen probably. And holy crap you have a lot of vapes! Looks like you own or have owned lots of portables.
Yeah, the label is daft IMO. It does peel off though, and then it's just a blank black marker. Pretty stealthy for storing and carrying.

WatTyler,

max

Out to lunch
stephenking said:
dentists used to put mercury into people's mouths and that vaporizes at room temperature. They've quietly stopped doing that now, and the mainstream media will never talk about how the FDA now claims mercury amalgam fillings are dangerous and advises they never be used.
Some dentists have stopped using amalgam (mercury alloy), but certainly not all. Mine, who had his own amalgam fillings removed, still recommends it to his patients for a more durable filling.

I seriously doubt that any wood used in vapes can be verified to be organic, as per your definition. And you may find that some of your concerns, materials wise, are very minor in comparison to real world exposure to various toxins, where your only choice to avoid them is to go to such extremes that your caution becomes an obsession that interferes with a normal life.

Although the Vapolution requires the optional battery pack to be fully portable, and it certainly isn't a pocket vape, it does come the closest to meeting your needs for a really clean vapor path, and $100 inlcluding the AIW is hard to beat. Lots of other possibilities available though, if you decide to loosen up your requirements.

max,
Reactions: Morty
but I don't think you'll ever find wood advertised as organic, since no fertilizers are used and, as faer as I know. no pesticides or herbicides either. just some trees are cut down and new ones planted
so I think all wood is organic, altpugh there is a slight chance they planted old farmland with trees and pesticides were used on that farmland, but by the time those trees are big enough that it's worth harvesting them, the 7 year period mentioned by the OP has already passed.
so only under unlikely/exceptional circumstances wood won't be organic in this terminology I think.
what you CAN look at with wood is if it has certifications with regards to proper harvesting, maintaining forests etc

Tree farms don't generally fertalize, but they do use pesticides and herbicides. The beattles that eat pine trees are a huge problem all over the country.

SpaceKracker,

hogleg

Yes the pesticide they use in the pines is injected into the trees cambium layer

hogleg,

sublimationpurist

formerly stephenking
I should have specified originally that I'm looking for the healthiest pocket vape that's also as discreet as possible, definitely no open flames. But I'm glad I didn't, because after seeing the gn0me I definitely need one of those in addition to a portable pocket vape with no flames involved.:lol:

Not considering the Vapolution because it needs to fit in a pocket, but thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah, the label is daft IMO. It does peel off though, and then it's just a blank black marker. Pretty stealthy for storing and carrying.
Very nice! It must taste very clean with those materials then right?

About the LB:

Originally the Boxes were made from select birch wood, stainless steel (ie, same as used in high end cooking pans) for the mesh screen, copper plated steel (electrical) for the battery coil, acrylic (brand name Plexiglas) for the cover, and a stainless steel spring clip, used for the cover hinge.
In November 2010, Magic-Flight revealed that a transition to maple from birch was underway, and that the battery coil was now re-formulated and no longer requires a copper plating.
It doesn't seem to mention the trench. What metal does the material sit on?

If the trench is made of stainless steel and the acrylic actually doesn't get hot, then I'm still considering this for a discreet pocket vape. People have touched the acrylic right after using it and it isn't hot?

So, I want a Kn0me and either a LB or the Vapbong.

sublimationpurist,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
About the LB:

It doesn't seem to mention the trench. What metal does the material sit on?

If the trench is made of stainless steel and the acrylic actually doesn't get hot, then I'm still considering this for a discreet pocket vape. People have touched the acrylic right after using it and it isn't hot?

It doesn't mention what the trench is made of because the trench is actually a hole. It's not made of anything. :p

The trench is lined with a stainless steel screen, which is mentioned several times. The screen sits on wood and the two stainless steel rods that make the connection to the battery. Except for early models, the screen is secured in the trench with a rubber O-ring. The design of the box is such that nothing above the shoulders of the trench (where the screen attaches to the connecting rods) gets too hot to touch, so the O-ring never reaches a temperature that would release undesirable fumes. The acrylic cover barely gets warm.

pakalolo,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
If your set on getting the gn0me I wouldn't bother with the Vapbong but go for the MF imo. The gn0me and Vapbong are too similar in function, so the MFLB will give you more variety. Plus you just can't beat the MF for stealth imo.

J.R.R.Tokin',

darkrom

Great Scott!
Themovape and gnome sound like exactly what you are looking for. I found the gnome to be too much of a hassle so I traded it personally. The TV and gnome both fit exactly what you are looking for.

darkrom,
Reactions: sessnet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom