1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Gear HE Carb Cap method

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by DabComa, Jan 16, 2014.

1. DabComa

DabComa Stuck in Dab Coma

Anyone tried using a carb cap?

Well for anyone interested in maximizing not only the flavor but also the longevity of their medicine should absolutely invest the $35 it costs for Highly Educated's Carb Cap.

For those unfamiliar its a metal cap that sits over the top of a domeless nail that has a small hole bored in the side for air flow. Traditionally this cap was intended for electric nails, or was meant to be placed on the nail after the nail was heated to ensure even heating.

But, I have come across a new extremely efficient method of using the carb cap. I take A normal sized dab and place it in the nail while it's cool, then I place the cap on top and heat the nail with the cap on until smoke starts to come out of the hole on the cap. At that point you can hit it untill you get blue in the face, you can draw as long as you want, and then heat it for another second, and continue to hit it,three, four times, all from one dab. One dab can be used to smoke up three people, it's unbelievable.

Anyone out there with a cap give this method a try, since your vaping at the lowest temp and never over burning, the flavor is intense, and the reclaim very nice, almost like reg oil.

darkrom, steama, Bob Loblaw and 4 others like this.
  2. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

I don't use a special domeless carb cap,
    but I absolutely plug most of the top of my dome & nail setup with my finger.
    It definitely works well.

[​IMG]

Roger D, Galactus, Bob Loblaw and 4 others like this.
  3. Bouldorado

Bouldorado Well-Known Member

Carb caps are awesome. I don't have one myself but I've used my friends setup a decent bit. What we do is heat the nail to about 85% (by that I mean the middle hollow piece and edges of the outer ring are starting to glow orange; 100% would have the whole nail glowing). After that we wait ~35 seconds and then dab and cap it ( 1 dab/person).

Finger method as @SD_haze mentioned works very well also.

Quetzalcoatl, SD_haze and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  4. BHOMG

BHOMG Member

yeah, I'd be interested in, uh, more home-brew methods for achieving this... HE Carb Caps are backordered for months... super hard to get... in fact, anyone know any other manufactuerers of something similar... or, like I said, a way to mcgeyver it? I think I could balance the head of an indentical nail, upside down, on my normal nail... hhhhmmmmmm

5. Detonator

Detonator Well-Known Member

can we get some video of this? 3 people hitting 1 dab seems like exageration...

The Sublimator is kinda like a covered domeless nail, and it is true there a smaller dab will do me, so maybe you got something....

If there is a way to McGuiver it ...I will think of it

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. DabComa

Its 6:30 in the morning this sounds the perfect way to start my day. I'll even keep the tv rolling in the background so you'll know it isn't stopped and restarted ever.

As for something else working, it would be hard to throw something together, because your heating you will want grade 2 Ti.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  7. DabComa

Took long enough but here it is

8. BHOMG

BHOMG Member

Thank you for the vid / demo

Uh... that's a "normal" sized dab?!?! That thing was huge! It didn't seem too far off from either of our avatars actually... in any case, yeah, I could see where a dab that size could sizzle for 4+ puffs.

Still cool shit though, and I do bet it's hella tasty... seems like an easier-than-most method to getting a low temp dab, well, several low temp "dabs" :p

9. DabComa

Lol maybe I smoke too much cuz that was a normal dab to me, I even dropped one little peice that never got put in I just overlooked it. But all in all with this method my oil lasts me twice as long now it's amazing.

10. Galactus

Galactus Active Member

With this method do you think its necessary to season the carb cap?

11. DabComa

I didn't but I don't see how it could harm it , it would probably hit like a champion the next go around afterwards, it has a large interior surface area as compared to the Ti domeless.

12. Galactus

Galactus Active Member

Could you season it and see if theres a difference? Has anyone else tried this?

13. DabComa

I'll ty it out, but I think it would be more a waste of product then anything.

steama and Galactus like this.
  14. Galactus

Galactus Active Member

thank you, use reclaim then if you want to save product

15. DabComa

Good idea I'll let you know when I'm home how it goes.

Galactus likes this.
  16. thesoloman

thesoloman Well-Known Member

I would like to point out that the Arizer Solo oil bowl, which is basically useless with the solo, happens to work as a carb cap very well:worms::spliff:
    IM talking about this bowl
    [​IMG]

EDit I have seen HE carbcaps that look like they get seasoned from use, the cap is cooler than the nail. and so the oil condences

17. DabComa

Like I thought it just made the next hit extreme lol, heating it this way makes everything heat evenly and therefore run uniformly away from the heat, the resin build up in my peice is almost like reg oil again especially in the way that it's solidly clumping back together down the stem and showerhead.

18. aesthyrian

aesthyrian Blaaaaah

No. Why would you need to season a surface that your are not directly placing your concentrate onto?

THIS! I have been doing this for a few weeks now. Works PERFECT with my K.O. Domeless, plus I have three of these fucking useless things. Plus it's glass so you get to watch the vapor cyclone around and you know when it's all done vaping.

Maybe I can resell these as carb caps and charge $20? Seems to work for task..

19. Mynameismud

Mynameismud But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie.

If you guys are looking for carb caps, try contacting Lsdgallery theyre on kik with that name or email is galeriadelsd@gmail.com

They seem to get regular shipments.

SSVUN~YAH, P666R and steama like this.
  20. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Got my HE Mini Cap yesterday with the flat-end extension dabber. I am using it with my infiniti nail and the small cup. What is really the most impressive to me so far is a more powerful effect. If I chill for a moment I can be done after only one dab where I usually do about three. Better taste and effect — I say the HE carb cap is a winner fo sho.
    :brow:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    pigfoot, SSVUN~YAH and Buildozer like this.
  21. tennstrong

tennstrong Well-Known Member

Got one the other day, loving it. used the technique above of heating with the carb cap on, and now although it looks a bit funny from overheating, well worth getting 2-3 dabs out of what was normally one, amazing flavor out of meh oil

SSVUN~YAH and steama like this.
  22. gvape

gvape Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the He carb cap will work on an Omni nail or vapenwiser?

Def want to get one just don't want to shell out 55 bucks and it not work on it.

steama likes this.
  23. thesoloman

thesoloman Well-Known Member

it will work, however i don't know if it will fit perfectly,
    but it will create a cover that traps the heat in with the oil. so in that aspect it should work.

steama likes this.
  24. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I have had the HE carb cap for 2 days and I have used 1, 2, 3, awesome oil saving low temp techniques so far.

1) Heat your carb cap until hot but not red. Then heat your Ti nail like a hot hit — only not to red. Finger testing is holding your finger right above your nail but never touching (ouch). Finger test the nail until the 'blazing heat' has left right before you can touch the actual nail. Then let a glob drop off your dabber or rub off onto the nail while drawing (oil will be vaping) and place the hot carb cap on top the nail to finish off in a slow draw. This method saved me a little material but not much, however, I feel this method produces the optimum overall hit.

2) First warm the nail only to the point it will melt the material but not vape it. Then lightly warm the carb cap and place on top the nail. Then apply the torch to the nail cup only while drawing and when vapor begins remove the heat. Add heat as vapor wanes until material is gone. You can double your oil saving using this method.

3) Place about 1/4 the amount of a normal dab in a cold unheated nail cup. Heat your carb cap until hot, but not too hot, keep it warm in the warm/hot range and place on top of the nail. Now gently heat the carb cap while softly drawing until vapor begins. Add heat as vapor wanes until material is gone. This method makes your material go on and on. In fact if your goal is not to save oil this may become tedious. This is the most efficient way to save your material I have ever heard of. It blew my mind but I grew bored of it quickly. Should use even less....hehe.

:science:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    SSVUN~YAH, Buildozer and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  25. Detonator

Detonator Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video. Anyone know if there is a carb cap that will fit a dab essentials domeless 14mm ?

Since I been using the Sublimator for dabs I noticed they have gotten a lot smaller and now taste better, the Sublimator is covered kind of like a carb cab so I wonder if I getting the same benefit, since it's covered?

steama and thesoloman like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors