hard life decision..input?

Jeremy Driscoll

I'm 29 and I've learned two things in all these years. Education is a joke, and security is everything.

Let me give you an example so that you have an idea of where I'm coming from and hopefully after reading you can apply it to your own life.

When I was 19 I went to this thing called Job Corp for Culinary Arts. The Career counselor there asked me what trades I would like to go into as a temporary place until the waiting list would open up for me to go into the Culinary trade. I told her I would write down every single trade in order of best to worst.

Well I made sure to let her know that Cement Masonry was the one trade I would never have passion for.

So to be funny she put me in the Cement Masonry one.

5 Months later after waiting to get into Culinary I am then told that a new batch of suckers aka students were on their way and that all the temps would be forced to graduate to make room for them. You see the more students the more money each center would get I guess.

So I went home as a graduate of Cement Masonry. Well finally after years of asking and more asking. I finally got my certification in the mail. And of course the envelope had my name spelt right. And the transcripts that came with it had my name spelt right. The certificate had my first and my last name spelt wrong. Finally after making a huge deal about it they sent me a new one years later, and they messed up on it again.

So I went to the next passion I had which is bar tending. I graduated bar tending college with a 97% and got my certificate. But employers couldn't care. All they want is a hot women with big you know behind the bar, so in my experience, education does you nothing, and never will.

I'm going stop now. I have many more stores to say but that is enough for now.

Jeremy Driscoll,

lwien

I'm 29 and I've learned two things in all these years. Education is a joke, and security is everything.

Let me give you an example so that you have an idea of where I'm coming from and hopefully after reading you can apply it to your own life.

What I can apply to my own life after reading your post is.............."I forgot how little I knew at 29" :hmm:

Your conclusion that "education does you nothing and never will" based upon your VERY limited experience above really needs a lot more time to marinate but it also just comes from a bit of naivety from one who thinks that a piece of paper guarantees anything, but hey, you're still a kid, so I'll cut ya some slack. ;)

A more accurate statement would be that education, in and of itself, does not guarantee any kind of success, but it sure as hell increases your odds.

Besides formal education, you'll need some street smarts, some talent, some charisma, a lot of tenacity, a strong work ethic, a willingness to fail, and a bit (sometimes a lot) of luck.

In your case, tending bar is not just about your ability to mix drinks, but it's also about entertaining their customers. If a bar has a primarily male demographic, then I totally understand why they would want an attractive female behind that bar. But if the bar has a mixed demo, than you should be able to convince the owner/manager, that you have what it takes to get those females coming back for more. A lot of establishments just need a bartender who can listen and be part "shrink". And some need none of the above. Just gotta find what a particular bar needs BEFORE applying for a job, eh?

But what's even a bit more odd is that you spent the time necessary to become a Cement Mason but gave up on that because they spelled your name wrong on the certificate, or was that Culinary School? :shrug:

You're asking people to read your thread and apply it to their own life. I would suggest that they do nothing of the kind.

"I'm 29 and I've learned two things in all these years. Education is a joke, and security is everything."
------Jeremy Driscoll

You have much to learn grasshopper, in that education is far from a joke and security is just an illusion or at best, a temporary state of being. :cool:

Last edited:

Hoof Hearted

Vapesallday Industries
Have you thought about applying to one of the large super market chains? They usually provide fairly good health insurance once you've been with them for a short while, and wage is at minimum for a while but raises steadily. Also, like Publix supermarkets, company stock may be offered and that builds up quickly when acquired regularly. Management position opportunities can open up, and that's pretty good money with more room to grow. It could be a decent stop in the road along the way. You will probably have to make some lifestyle changes, and even a change in abode, but could work out to be the best change in direction you ever make. Keep us posted!

:nod:

One word: COSTCO

Jeremy Driscoll

I probably didn't apply Masonry to a job because it's the one thing I hate more than anything in this world and I know nothing about the subject. I just showed up and did same everyone. Which is nothing. I just waited to get into the culinary trade like everyone else who waited to get in their trades. So I never spent anytime learning anything. The instructor just laughed. And all we did was stand out side smoking.

Jeremy Driscoll,

olivianewtonjohn

I have no idea what interests you have in life or even if what im saying will apply to you, but I will give you my perspective.

I know many people say you dont need to goto school and they are right for many careers. But for other careers its obviously necessary. You would have to work really fucking hard (school and work) but the benefit is you would know what your working towards; the goal is not abstract, in fact it is laid out in a structured way for you.

Medical careers for example:
-Job security
-Good pay (and im not talking surgeon, doctor, pharmacist, or dentist)
-Get to learn some bio/chem which depending on your interests might be a positive

One example I can think of off the top of my head is a dental hygenist. One of my friends is in a similar situation and started talking about becoming a dental hygenist. He kept saying how he was worried about the science courses and blah blah blah. So I looked at the requirements to apply to a dental hygine school and was shocked at how little schooling you need in contrast to the pay. About 70K a year. There are many other careers like this.

Regardless good luck

Last edited:

Jeremy Driscoll

I'm not a pimp. A pimp I think is someone who is a professional in the companionship trade, and I'm no professional.

Last edited:
Jeremy Driscoll,

olivianewtonjohn

/facepalm

Please take it to another thread guys. @Jeremy Driscoll based on your limited experience with college you make sweeping claims that college is a joke. Wonder what my friends in med school and pharmacy school would say about that? Now in another thread I see that you were thinking about wasting gallons and gallons of water to get back at your HOA? Reminds me of an episode of trailer park boys, not sure if you should be giving advise

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
/facepalm

Please take it to another thread guys. @Jeremy Driscoll based on your limited experience with college you make sweeping claims that college is a joke. Wonder what my friends in med school and pharmacy school would say about that? Now in another thread I see that you were thinking about wasting gallons and gallons of water to get back at your HOA? Reminds me of an episode of trailer park boys, not sure if you should be giving advise
In response to Jeremy Driscoll's posts:
Because of our good nature and desire to be helpful to strangers needing experienced advice, sometimes the wisest most helpful thing to do is to say and do nothing in response to their call for help. A series of good hard knocks along the way can be the best teacher of all. As a wise Beatle once sang..."Let it Be".
:myday:

Last edited:

honorface

vape weed; eat yogurt
Find a smaller chain hotel and prove your worth. Once you are indispensable it is very "easy" to rise in ranks. Starting pay is most often above min wage and managers pay is great for someone under 30 with no kids. They rarely ever test for drugs as well. After proving yourself as manager you can go district, life career right there.

Jeremy Driscoll

It's almost as if your intention is to make things so personal? I have no beef with you or anyone here, after all I'm assuming that we are all here as friends or at least to keep things "friendly". Have I insulted you somehow? If so I apologize my friend, it was never my intention to hurt your feelings are make you feel upset about anything.

Jeremy Driscoll,

lwien

It's almost as if your intention is to make things so personal? I have no beef with you or anyone here, after all I'm assuming that we are all here as friends or at least to keep things "friendly". Have I insulted you somehow? If so I apologize my friend, it was never my intention to hurt your feelings are make you feel upset about anything.

My feelings are not hurt, Jeremy, nor is there any reason to apologize. It's just that, after reading your previous posts in the threads I mentioned above, I realize that we are on two totally opposite sides of whatever spectrum we inhabit, and any discussion from me would be an exercise in futility. Nothing personal though.......... ;)

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Though here in this post you present yourself as mild mannered and conciliatory, in other threads you admit to being spiteful, vengeful, and vindictive (ungodly water waste) at least in thought. Do we have here a wolf in sheep's clothing or what?!

Last edited:

Jeremy Driscoll

Well I don't believe in turning the other cheek. I never start trouble, I believe however in finishing it.

Jeremy Driscoll,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Well I don't believe in turning the other cheek. I never start trouble, I believe however in finishing it.
Well I'm a mother nature loving wiccan so I wish no harm to you nor the earth. I find your post offensive. I do not know why it is your intention to offend me. I have no idea where this attitude is coming from. If I have somehow accidentally offended you however then I apologize, it was never my intention to hurt you or anyone else here on the forum, I just believe in justice, when someone starts trouble, alls fair in love and war to get them back. That's all.
Once again, you are the innocent victim. Beginning to see a pattern here? I hope for your sake, revenge will be more trouble than it's worth. You need to learn other ways of dealing. Look up "external locus of control" in a search engine and you may find where your troubles start. Good luck. Live and learn (the hard way).

SalamiCity

@jeremy, I don't get it, you wanted to be in culinary arts, but they made you go into Cement masonry? I Don't get how that works out, or what exactly happened, I'm a bit confused.

Also "Education" isn't a joke, SCHOOLS are a joke.

Education is something you are always a part of, the journey of knowledge.

In my particular case I have wanted to be a Computer Programmer my entire life.

In HS I took one class in 11th grade that was a joke, an didn't learn anything.

First year of college I figured I would learn all about comp sci, but I had 1 class in comp sci per semester.

My second semester I had this dude who basically gave everyone an A if they did the work(didn't matter if it was right or wrong) Some dude I knew got great grades on everything, missed 3 labs, and bam B-.

On the second test if you got at least a 25 you got an A, people were flipping when they got 20's HAHAAH....

In labs after 5 mins the TA's did all the work for us, and we submitted it, not learning anything.

It was sad....

His wife came to the midterm with a battleaxe... Wuut.

So no one learned anything, and then third semester comes, no help from anyone, you did it all on your own, and this dude was difficult. I did okay, but half of the people failed, then transferred out.

It was an overall shitty situation so I left, took a semester off, and then finished up at another school.

These institutions are all about money, they don't care about an education, it's all about "Liberal Arts" "Well rounded kids"

I learned how to program on my own, and I work in software now.

SalamiCity,

Jeremy Driscoll

@jeremy, I don't get it, you wanted to be in culinary arts, but they made you go into Cement masonry? I Don't get how that works out, or what exactly happened, I'm a bit confused.

I learned how to program on my own, and I work in software now.
I was told along with other students that the trade I wanted had a waiting list. I had to go pick a temporary trade to go in to until the list was gone. But that would never happen. I was lied to. I was asked to write down on a paper out of all the trades they had which ones I wanted to go in to. I rated every trade from best to worse. After I made it clear that Cement Masonry was the one trade I would never do in real life for a job she laughed. And she put me in. She made it clear it was only a temporary trade. And that it would only be a couple of weeks. After 5 months of waiting I along with other students were told that it was time to graduate on November 3 2004. So we had 24 hours to arrange where we wanted to be sent. So I called home and told everyone it was time for me to go home and that they should expect me there on November 4. And if I did not cooperate by the 4. Then by the 5 I would be homeless. So I went home. When I got home I at least wanted my certificate even though it was for something that I learned nothing about. So after years of complaining I finally got my certificate. (Spelt wrong). Then finally sometime after meeting my current love I got the real deal after complaining again. I met my love after April of 2010.

Jeremy Driscoll,

olivianewtonjohn

^That sucks and would be a crummy experience but it sounds like you went to a crappy trade school. There are many other trade schools, community colleges, and universities that are nothing like that.

olivianewtonjohn,

Jeremy Driscoll

The worst part is. That everyone tells me to use that certificate to do the job. I don't even know anything about Cement Masonry. Duh.

Jeremy Driscoll,

SalamiCity

Yeah, didn't realize it was a trade school, that's some bunk ass shit, I would report them mofos.

It's basically you need to pay for a piece of paper that tries to tell people that you can do things, without actually displaying any type of skill. Besides the fact you learn so much bullshit.

Experience should be the factor, but they say you either get experience from school, or work, and no one hires if you don't have experience.

Someone said they would pay a business 60k a year to teach their kid the trade, and give him experience/a job at the end of it all.

Best idea ever, you pay a business to teach your kid, and to then give a job where he would be earning a lot of that back.

Instead of paying into the 1.2+trillion student loan debts we have going on from students who WILL NEVER pay it back.

SalamiCity,
Top Bottom