hard life decision..input?

clukx

A little background info. Im a early mid 20 male in the Midwest i currently work in an office in an automotive factory in the quality department. My whole life ive always told myself i wouldn't do this exact thing but my lack of education i feel has kept me here.i was pretty lucky and worked pretty hard to get out of the factory and into the office.

As far as crappy jobs that people hate go, i have a pretty good one. All my co workers hate their job also you can tell and i feel like if i dont do something now ill be stuck here forever.

By magic i was offered a job in a local headshop that is opening soon and glass art and obviously vapes are something i care about greatly and feel passion from on all levels.

Now im torn between quitting my "secure" job that i dont love for something possibly a little riskier. .sorry for the book FC but i would appreciate your input

clukx

Just normal stuff, apartment and car payment but i could probably swing that off any job

clukx,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Since you are still young, you are still in a position to find what makes you happy in life, work wise. But know that as we age, we sometimes come to the realization that we don't have to love our work. It's a means to an end. It buys what keeps us secure and happy.

My thoughts are that if this is as high as you can go in the company you are currently employed with, with no hope of moving up any higher in the company, there is nothing keeping you there. Where you choose to work form here is up to you. And perhaps you just need a change of pace for a bit so you can sort out what you really want.

Good luck. :D

clukx

I could possibly go one step harder in my current position but i would never take it i hate my bosses job

clukx,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Tweek

Your younger years are the best time to take risks and explore all possibilities. By the time you get older, you may have kids, a house, even unfortunate illnesses or accidents. That's not to say that once you hit a certain age your life stops...but it gets harder and there is more to consider.

So if it's just you in this equation, and you are ok sacrificing some income and the comforts that go with it, go for it. There are no guarantees of a tomorrow, so make yourself happy in the here and now.

Tweek

Thanks for the replies guys, i think im gonna try it out i asked to meet up with him first and ask a lot of questions

Don't be a chicken, clukx...sorry, didn't really mean that, I just couldn't resist :D

One last thing I wanted to add...don't sell yourself short just because you don't have a traditional education. Life is the best classroom...and there are many successful people who did not even go to University.

And with the plethora of info available out there, you can teach yourself anything...classrooms no longer have walls.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Very true Tweek. I never attended college or university, although I did a few years at art school after high school. My business education started with being a temporary receptionist which evolved into a job as the corporate Comptroller overseeing the main manufacturing firm and it's 3 spin off rep firms.

From there I became a self taught florist.

And from there, worked with children with Autism.

Every step of the way was self taught or working my way up the ladder. Remember, there are tons of educated derelicts out there. It's all about your initiative and drive. And how willing you are to learn and take advantage of opportunities that come your way.

Tweek

I am a fan of education, but I think too many kids are forced into thinking College or University is the only way to be a success in life. To be honest, I wish I never went to College..in my case, I feel it just put a bunch of preconceived notions into my head, especially about limitations that were in the end, my professors experiences and not necessarily what would happen to all of us who graduated.

Sometimes it's best to head into life with a clean slate that you fill with your own experiences. Obviously this all depends on what you want to pursue in life, and I had a blast in College despite that...but getting that piece of paper holds no guarantees, and does not necessarily make you smarter than the person who went straight into the work world, or who decided to taste life rather than sit in a classroom.

I learned more moving to a big city on my own, and working a bunch of different jobs, than I did in College.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Sometimes I wish I could do something I truly find fun. Listen to us old people, now's the time to do it. Someday your responsibilities may change, our's have and now we don't have that freedom. And by freedom I mean enough money to retain a divorce lawyer.

Plus, if you get discounts on glass then it should be a no brainer. And also, if you get those said discounts please keep in mind that I'm currently looking for new friends.

FrogBoy138

I think it's a safe bet to say that 33% of all business fail in the first year. As default looms over our country King Dollar slips, inflation skyrockets. Keep your job!

clukx

I think it's a safe bet to say that 33% of all business fail in the first year. As default looms over our country King Dollar slips, inflation skyrockets. Keep your job!
I do agree with you here, But i dont think this business will go under.
Hes had a headshop here already but he sold it and opened one up in another state, found out hes having a baby so hes coming back home and opening it back up.
I set up a meeting with him tomorrow

clukx,
Reactions: mvapes

clukx

oh yes forsure i told the other guy if we agree'd that i would work for him i would put in a formal two weeks notice

clukx,
Reactions: mvapes

Tweek

I understand what you are saying, but the world is not going to really improve anytime soon, so even though it's a risk, he will be waiting till he is old and grey if he sits around and waits for that perfect moment. I've left/lost a couple of jobs during low periods in the economy/industry and even though it hasn't always been easy, I am still happy and in one piece.

The last job I left was very stable, good pension and all that...but I was miserable and abused by the manager. My health was going downhill fast...I said screw this shit and went my own way, started my own business and slowly, but surely, am making contacts and getting interest in my work.

Sometimes you have to take a leap into the unknown to be happy in life, and make your dreams come true. As long as you understand the risks going in, and are prepared to sacrifice, you can only stand to learn something new about yourself and the world around you.

clukx

Man, you guys have a lot of great words. I know i wont DIE if if something doesnt work it..just feels like it sometimes LOL.
I would love to start my own business one day, and I know if i stay in that office in the factory Ill just end up like everyone else there, and my parents, and most other people.
Usually a mix of this: Alcoholism, Disability, Depression, Regret.
I really don't want to waste my life "working" it isnt work if you love it right? Im by no means a "Lazy pothead" or I wouldnt be where im at now! I just know that all my days of perfect attendance and tucked in dress shirts is not going to fulfill my life..

Top Bottom