Halo-log

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@blokenoname After some primitive drawings on paper i think i figured out a way to do it without mounting the controller inside,but it would require some extra wiring and giving up on the standart DC jack.. :)).
Those names are really hilarous.. i think they just are aiming at adding maximum ammount of popular words.. like the spambots we got here on FC ..

Abysmal Vapor

:D Today was a blast , i tested one of the 12v 90w bulb i had for the halomesh project with the Halonut.. Damn this bitch is bright as hell at full blast.. installed a SS420 foil shield.. works great. Might become a thing in the future concepts after i see how it handles time and prolonged heat exposure ,etc :).
As mentioned my grades of preference had shifted from ss316 to the low nickel 420/420a/430 grades.Now i have it as both those both in plate foil and for the wiring.
Found a local supplier of Duran glass joints,which are pricey but easy to get and i think i will stick to those for future builds :))..
So the 90w is so god damn powerful.. It heats up to vaping temps at 10-15 second from cold and by the 25th you are already scortching the load...
Managed to incorporate a boost button to one of my controllers.It works really nice. I can run the bulb really low and boost to the desired vapor densitity within seconds.
Now finally i am feeling like i am on the right concept path, also have the right materials.. Now i guess i should move to aquiring proper tooling and getting some more stuff finalized.. I am kind of sluggish in my actions and sometimes i feel like a little development is a like a lot,escpecially after a period of no development...,in the end i get very little development over a long period of time.. lol... I guess i gotta work on my motivation..,it would help me a lot if learn how to earn it each day. These days my thoughts go to a friend in need,hopefully soon enough i will be able to send him a little help as i see all these things i learned sofar come to fruition . :)

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Ah so how do you like the taste of these 4xx grades? I still have to play with my 430 wire spool (you see I'm shit slow too heh!)

Abysmal Vapor

Well i dont notice any difference in taste,but the vapor feels a little smoother with the 4xx grades. The problem with nickel is mainly when it is in contact with liquids/food which is the case with the e-cig business,where it might make a big difference in taste,but honestly in this concept i dont think it matters very much ,safety wise. SS316 has better corrosion resistance at high temps but the 4XX can handle 300 C without issue... I consider keeping the wiring in 316L simply because it isnt magneting and is more resistant to physical shock/scratching.

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Yeah since you're not using it immersed or as a heating element, it surely has less impact.

But since you warned me about the smell of that SS202 sheet I bought earlier, I thought you could comment on that aspect for your 430 too.

Abysmal Vapor

Well the 202 has a very obvious smell, compared to the other grades.,but also it was China sourced while the 316L and the 4xx i have are all locally produced.
Now i have 304 ,316,316L,420,420a,430 .They were kind to give me 15x15cm of each as a sample to another order,plenty of stuff to play with :)).
On a side note they also offer laser etched plates if those grade.. Some of them might look really good as a reflector or a body/bodycover.
311682552_105.jpg

Some of them have titianium nitride anodization which brings very nice colors.
lama.png

Also there are decorative perforated but i wont spam any further.. Both the etched,anodized and perforated plates can make awesome bodies/body covers and reflectors for the halo-logs.. :))
346.jpg

Abysmal Vapor

And perforated plates are potentially a must for HSA heaters, but hush! :p
Haha i also thought that these can make hot air,since i saw the vapefly mesh but sadly there arent cut your own size spools of it :)) .
iu

Abysmal Vapor,

Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor,

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Well the 202 has a very obvious smell, compared to the other grades.,but also it was China sourced while the 316L and the 4xx i have are all locally produced.
Now i have 304 ,316,316L,420,420a,430 .They were kind to give me 15x15cm of each as a sample to another order,plenty of stuff to play with :)).
On a side note they also offer laser etched plates if those grade.. Some of them might look really good as a reflector or a body/bodycover.
311682552_105.jpg

Some of them have titianium nitride anodization which brings very nice colors.
lama.png

Also there are decorative perforated but i wont spam any further.. Both the etched,anodized and perforated plates can make awesome bodies/body covers and reflectors for the halo-logs.. :))
346.jpg
Those Ti Nitride patterened and perforated foils are fascinating.
Do you mind sharing your source?

Abysmal Vapor

Since the heater design part is already done,there isnt much going on in that department,but i got figured out a few more bowls.
For example 14mm male joint as a bowl and it makes good fit with the inner diameter of the 19/22 joint.. So it brings feelining similar to the classic logvape stemps but also like the classic SSV cover,but you got wider heater cover and narrower bowl.
As a concentrate bowl i use arizer cup screen with XMAX FOG concentrate pad inside, put into one of the adapter like those used in the heater cover design.
Another vaporizer design has also popped up recently in my head and managed to do a working concept. It can be used both as convection and as hybrid vaporizer ,depending on where you position you load.. The big thing about it is that is all glass,heating element is separated from the airpath,i guess i will post more about it when i have time left to get back to it.
For now i am trying to get focused and get the woodbody part solved.
Bought a second hand drillpress but then returned it because it did off centered bores..guess thats why the guy sold it in the first place.. Now i am saving up for a new one. There are a lot of options in the 100-170 euro range and it is really hard to make the right choice. Currently watching videos and digging reviews of various models. For sure i want one where the rotating mechanism is metal,because there are a lot with plastic ones (ceresit) which i dont thing will last long..
Currently have my finger on one NL model with 3 year warranty and One from CZ with 2,but i might also opt for others as the search continues.. It is a must that i get a decent one,so i can recell it if/when i want to get a better one..

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Centering the bore with a large diameter Forstner bit takes a bit trial & error and fiddling even with a drill press, as the mechanical forces at work there will fuck it up quite easily for you. A mere millimeter or two off center, and the hole blank is doomed!
One way is taking a bit of the exact diameter of the blank you want to bore and slightly mark the center with that one. Then you take the bit of the size, you want the actual bore to be and hammer its tip down into the blank, the exact center of which you have just marked, till its blades get a grip in the wood. Then check all around, if it's precise enough and only then take the blank with the hammered in Forstner bit and set both into the drill chuck and fasten it. Now adjust the drill table with the vice and fasten the bottom of the blank in there. This has to be a really tight fit! The blank mustn't have any leeway to move. If you're concerned for the vice leaving marks on the wood, wrap the blank in some felt or foam rubber sheet, to protect it.
Then switch on the drill press and start drilling.
Go gentle on the pressure at first, till the bit is in about a centimeter or so. After that, you can apply full force.

Last edited:
blokenoname,
Reactions: brainiac

Abysmal Vapor

Centering the bore with a large diameter Forstner bit takes a bit trial & error and fiddling even with a drill press, as the mechanical forces at work there will fuck it up quite easily for you. A mere millimeter or two off center, and the hole blank is doomed!
One way is taking a bit of the exact diameter of the blank you want to bore and slightly mark the center with that one. Then you take the bit of the size, you want the actual bore to be and hammer its tip down into the blank, the exact center of which you have just marked, till its blades get a grip in the wood. Then check all around, if it's precise enough and only then take the blank with the hammered in Forstner bit and set both into the drill chuck and fasten it. Now adjust the drill table with the vice and fasten the bottom of the blank in there. This has to be a really tight fit! The blank mustn't have any leeway to move. If you're concerned for the vice leaving marks on the wood, wrap the blank in some felt or foam rubber sheet, to protect it.
Then switch on the drill press and start drilling.
Go gentle on the pressure at first, till the bit is in about a centimeter or so. After that, you can apply full force.
The ones i am eyeing have Laser crosshair to make things easy. I am not worrying too much about things beeing off center,i am sure that with a quality drill bit it is not an impossible task.A friend of mine gifted me a whole case of Bosch brand with forstners and other wood drill bits,so i am eagerly waiting to put those to good work :))..
There is also 30 day ""no ask" return period on both offers i am eyeing,so even if i did not manage to master this i will opt for using my friends lathe and help for a while and then probably get one somewhere in the future :)).. It seems that lathes are the best tools for logvape making but it is also doable with other pieces of equipment of course . For now not looking for perfection .
Thank you for your tips,i have already some experience with drill presses and vises ,so i am quite familiar with the basics of operation.
I noticed that most of the low price drill preses can go only 50mm deep or at least are listed as .. The ones i am looking at can travel 100mm deep and are a bit bulkier than the smallest class.
In reality how deep can you drill with yours ? can you make a 80mm hole ? Are there some kind of extentions for the forstner bits ,they all look a bit short to me.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
How deep you can go in, is defined by length of the shaft the drill press rests on and the length of the Forstner bit's shaft. That is usually only 50mm-60mm and that's why most units you get, can only go in about that deep.

You've to look for bits with an extended shaft or get some custom made. Skilled worker in a local metalware shop can extend the shafts for you, by welding a piece of ss rod to the original shaft.

Abysmal Vapor

Cool :cool:
That's about the same what you pay here locally, for having the bit's shaft expanded at a metalware shop.
Great to know, you can buy these extensions off the shelf :clap:
Тhere are a lot cheaper extensions,but i was just told by my friend who works lathes, that those are a bit dangerous to use with drill press,because they introduce and bit of play which impacts accuracy and is damaging to the high precision and can probably damage them,those are better suited for hand drills. What pro's recommend is just to get extended drill bits,there are plenty of options locally. I also read about the hex bolts flying around from the extenstion fastening,which in the drill press scenario might be like playing russian roulette,because those bolts/nuts are againts your face,so i guess this is enough to take a pass on those.
Forgot to add that i was told that if one is to use those extenders ,he best uses same brand extender and drill set,because the lock is not adjustable and even half of mm difference in diameter,which is common between the brands ,will render it useless and dangerous.

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Good to know, though I won't need longer bits anyway. 5-6cm suits me just fine, as the deepest bore for my bodies is 5cm.

Last edited:
blokenoname,

Abysmal Vapor

Blah a major setback in my DIY field... My place got robbed by some Gypsy scum,which managed not only to rob me,sell my stuff and get caught after shortly after that,but there is nothing that can be done because those people have nothing on their name and not a single penny in their pocket..
The biggest blow was my precious Laser Drill Press,i was really getting a good hang of it even ordered some exotic wood to play with... They also stole my self made omron E-nail controller and a couple of shitty pen vapes and my wismec modbox...stuff they cannot even sell easy around here..
Anyway my Halo-coconut and my glass ball vape are safe so at least i have some gear to get me going ...
Plans are to start from scratch again and rebuild my gear with second hand equipment when possible ,but for now it is going to be just a waiting game because my paychecks dont come on demand.

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: lazylathe

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Bummer! :o:cuss:

You can have my old drill-press for free, as it just sits in a corner and is collecting dust anyway, since I have the new one. Lacks the nice laser cross hairs, of course, but maybe you can get those seperatly from somewhere.

Only thing would be the postage. As the press isn't exactly a lightweight, postage will be s/th between € 30-40, when sending via DHL. But maybe we can find a less expensive service.

Shoot me a message and we can work something out maybe.

Abysmal Vapor

@KeroZen Thanks for your compassion ! I admit it was quite a blow,but from financial stand point total damage i dont think i suffered that bad ,simply because cash is always tight in the last years and i dont have many belongings or stuff worth stealing,but my laptop and my drill press alone were like 500 euro.Will take me a few months savings to come back from that but eventually i will.
I still have many of my DIYs to keep me going and my faithfull wp and head full of ideas, i dont think i need much more to get over this shitstorm :).

Goatbass

DIWhy
Blah a major setback in my DIY field... My place got robbed by some Gypsy scum,which managed not only to rob me,sell my stuff and get caught after shortly after that,but there is nothing that can be done because those people have nothing on their name and not a single penny in their pocket..
The biggest blow was my precious Laser Drill Press,i was really getting a good hang of it even ordered some exotic wood to play with... They also stole my self made omron E-nail controller and a couple of shitty pen vapes and my wismec modbox...stuff they cannot even sell easy around here..
Anyway my Halo-coconut and my glass ball vape are safe so at least i have some gear to get me going ...
Plans are to start from scratch again and rebuild my gear with second hand equipment when possible ,but for now it is going to be just a waiting game because my paychecks dont come on demand.

I'm so sorry this happened, man. You were the last person who deserved something like that to happen to them especially after helping so many make their own vapes. If there's any way to help you, please don't fret to ask.

Top Bottom