Get Hammered

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I had some screens that were just a tiny bit small in diameter. I thought if I hammered it flatter, it would also get bigger in diameter. It worked great. The fit was very nice. The screen is a lot stiffer.
The surface of the screen was now very shiny and more of a weave than a screen. The holes between the wires are still the same size so the airflow is not affected. I also noticed that plant material wasn't sticking to the shiny screen and it stays very clean all the time.
The two screens in the photo are identical. The one on the right has been hammered smooth.
A smooth anvil would be ideal for making them, but 2 hammers will also work. Just use one of the hammers as an anvil.
Has anyone else ever tried this?

hammeredscreen.jpg

Alan,

Bluesman

Cool idea. The only drawback I see is that the airflow might be lessened because the process of pounding the wires should flatten them out somewhat. I dunno...I have a small screen I want to install in my woodeez that's too loose right now. I'll give it a try!

Bluesman,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well i've tried it few times with my magic wand screens.. for my hookah bowl. I've noticed it reduces the screen's life significantly cause it has happen more than once, i've teared up few hammered screens when i trie adjusting them or putting/removing them.. Anyway screens are cheap and if you do it for yourself and not planning to sell those.. there is nothing wrong with hammering generaly :lol: we do it to our heads all the time..

Abysmal Vapor,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I have wanted to use fine screens in my roasting tubes to limit the particulate, but they always clogged too quickly which resulted in poor airflow. I tried hammering some fine screens tonight and it is working very good so far. The airflow is not affected and much less (if anything) sticks to the screen. Must perform more testing.

Alan,

weedemon

enthusiast
i think it's cool that you started a topic on this rather than keeping the info to yourself as a trade secret in one of your upcoming innovations/inventions.

i can't admit to playing around with screens too often anymore myself though.

weedemon,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Easiest way to keep a screen unclogged when you don't want to rinse or soak it is to just scrape it between bowls with a stainless steel 7thfloor poker imo.

Perhaps you could just add a similar tool to your vape accessories?

OhTheAgony,

max

Out to lunch
Easiest way to keep a screen unclogged when you don't want to rinse or soak it is to just scrape it between bowls with a stainless steel 7thfloor poker imo.
According to Alan the hammered screen stays clean quite a bit longer. I'm going to try this with my SSV screen. Hopefully it'll install just as easily.

max,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have tried the hammered screens.
They make a difference in two areas.
They restrict draw slightly, allowing lower heat setting when using a variable temp SSV type situation....
and they do catch less particualtes.
It installs into the SSV easily, but is stiffer, and can crimp a small amount when making sure it is in there "dome up".
I tried the hammered screen in a number of vapes.
-In the SSV I did not care for it... I preferred the free feeling draw and the hammered screen in the SSV could allow combustion if one is not "aware".
+In the Glass Sherlock VaporGenie, it improved performance and allowed some THICK hits.
+It reduced the draw, therefore made the MagikWand Vape hit thicker hits.
-I attempted the Hammered screen in a Zap stem (with MUCH effort!!!) and the draw was too restricted for my taste.
-The Hammered screen was then tried in the Incognito Vape.. and made the ABV come out way too dark, and the flavor was harsher due to restricted draw.

I enjoyed experimenting with the hammered screen technique, and found it to be beneficial with;
Glass Sherlock VaporGenie and MagikWand Vaporizer.

Vitolo,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Interesting that you are getting improved performance from some vaporizers Vito. Thanks for experimenting. Have you tried it with both fine and regular screens? I don't care for it as much with the fine screens.

Alan,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Yes... I tried with both. The finer screens wound up with the holes being almost non existant... and the screen becoming almost too "empowered" with memory, due to the structural support from the increased number of crosswires in the "chainmail scheme of life"!

Vitolo,
Top Bottom