***Gamers*** What are you playing?

florduh

Is Todd Howard like 3 feet tall? All of his promises over the years would've hit different if I knew he was some sort of woodland gnome.

image.png

GILGfAbXUAAjTMF

hd_rider

"In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream"

Back to some old-school gaming!

Just added another pinball machine to my little home arcade. This one is Alien - Ellen Ripley Edition.

Based on the first two movies in the Alien franchise, Alien and Aliens, I am up against all of the creepy critters, including face-huggers, xenomorphs, and the Alien Queen.

At the beginning of each game, I can choose whether the theme is based on the first movie (finding the derelict spaceship, getting attacked by a face-hugger, finding the Alien, etc.), or I can choose to base the game on the second movie (going back to LV-429 as part of a elite marine squad to rescue Newt and the rest of the colonists from an Alien infestation). All of the call-outs, music, and video will correspond to theme you're playing. The large Xenomorph at the back of the playfield opens it's jaw to reveal an inner jaw that comes out and grabs your ball!

A very fun, immersive, and very challenging game!

Alien_01.jpg

Alien_01a.jpg

Alien_02.jpg

Alien_03.jpg

Alien_04.jpg

Alien_05.jpg

Alien_06.jpg

SinfulRoad

"In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream"

Back to some old-school gaming!

Just added another pinball machine to my little home arcade. This one is Alien - Ellen Ripley Edition.

Based on the first two movies in the Alien franchise, Alien and Aliens, I am up against all of the creepy critters, including face-huggers, xenomorphs, and the Alien Queen.

At the beginning of each game, I can choose whether the theme is based on the first movie (finding the derelict spaceship, getting attacked by a face-hugger, finding the Alien, etc.), or I can choose to base the game on the second movie (going back to LV-429 as part of a elite marine squad to rescue Newt and the rest of the colonists from an Alien infestation). All of the call-outs, music, and video will correspond to theme you're playing. The large Xenomorph at the back of the playfield opens it's jaw to reveal an inner jaw that comes out and grabs your ball!

A very fun, immersive, and very challenging game!

Alien_01.jpg

Alien_01a.jpg

Alien_02.jpg

Alien_03.jpg

Alien_04.jpg

Alien_05.jpg

Alien_06.jpg
Damn that's some expensive arcade machines.

SinfulRoad,

florduh

We are on the last episode. I have never played the games before, but the show got me wanting to play them now.

May have to pick it up.

You'll appreciate how well the showrunners captured the essence of the games!

New Vegas is phenomenal, but a little dated at this point. I installed a mod list that works really well though. The characters don't look much worse than Starfield :shrug:

Fallout 4 was my first Fallout. It's probably the most accessible in 2024. I still love that game, even though it has a lot of haters. I saw someone joke "Fallout 4 is really fun when you don't have a bitch New Vegas fan in your ear telling you it sucks" and I agree :tup:

8511f0314ac396bdaf4b7a380f0820da.jpg

EarthworldTim

New Vegas is phenomenal, but a little dated at this point. I installed a mod list that works really well though. The characters don't look much worse than Starfield :shrug:

Fallout 4 was my first Fallout. It's probably the most accessible in 2024. I still love that game, even though it has a lot of haters. I saw someone joke "Fallout 4 is really fun when you don't have a bitch New Vegas fan in your ear telling you it sucks" and I agree :tup:

I'm not an OG fallout fan as I picked it up at fallout 3 but from a writing perspective New Vegas is way better and Obsidian(New Vegas dev) was actually founded by Interplay employees who actually worked on fallout 1 and 2. As far as I know Bethesda didn't have anyone from the originals working on their fallout 3 and 4 and it shows. I enjoyed them all but there's good reason why New Vegas is considered the best by a considerable margin. Fallout 4 is fine but I also enjoyed 3 quite a bit more because it was fresh to me but I think the vibes were a lot better. The whole build a settlement aspect in 4 was a mistake imo and should have been scrapped for attention in other areas but that's just my opinion.

If New Vegas isn't an option or if you find it too dated to play through then you might check out The Outer Worlds also developed by Obsidian. A little like New Vegas in space and I found it to be much better and more approachable than Starfield but that's a low bar.

Last edited:

florduh

I'm almost done with my New Vegas playthrough and am savoring every moment. The writing is phenomenal. It's more "adult" than any of the Bethesda games. And better overall. But it's also better than 99% of all video games, IME.

I'll have to give FO3 a whirl too. My New Vegas run has reminded me: graphics are one of the least important things in games.

I have a soft spot for FO4. It was my first Fallout and my first playthrough was in VR. So I feel like I've lived in the Massachusetts Wasteland for 30+ hours. Completely agree about the settlements. I totally skipped that entire mechanic.

Also a huge Outer Worlds fan! Very fun and very funny! I am nervous for Obsidian's future though. Big round of MicroDick layoffs yesterday:

Obsidian has a big release planned for later this year: Avowed. My fear is if it isn't immediately a major hit, MicroDick will kill them.

EarthworldTim

Obsidian has a big release planned for later this year: Avowed. My fear is if it isn't immediately a major hit, MicroDick will kill them.
I'd like to believe that Obsidian would have a much longer leash than most studios they've acquired but yeah that's always a concern. Their track record with the Pillars of Eternity series has me more at ease since this game is picking up in that universe and again, low bar, but it has to be better than Starfield and the disaster that was Redfall. Closing the Hi-fi rush studio is a bit of a surprise but Bethesda has been slowly trending downward for a while imo overall. I honestly don't want another fallout from them and hope they let someone else take a crack at it but I won't hold my breath.

EarthworldTim,
Reactions: florduh

Madtater

I'm almost done with my New Vegas playthrough and am savoring every moment. The writing is phenomenal. It's more "adult" than any of the Bethesda games. And better overall. But it's also better than 99% of all video games, IME.

I'll have to give FO3 a whirl too. My New Vegas run has reminded me: graphics are one of the least important things in games.

I have a soft spot for FO4. It was my first Fallout and my first playthrough was in VR. So I feel like I've lived in the Massachusetts Wasteland for 30+ hours. Completely agree about the settlements. I totally skipped that entire mechanic.

Also a huge Outer Worlds fan! Very fun and very funny! I am nervous for Obsidian's future though. Big round of MicroDick layoffs yesterday:

I wonder if they’re gonna close blizzard too after the acquisition last year.

It’s all about gaming rights and copyright ownership.

Only reason why these companies swallow up smaller ones.

Madtater,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

I honestly don't want another fallout from them and hope they let someone else take a crack at it but I won't hold my breath

Maybe they should get into the TV business instead because the Fallout series is fantastic!

I think Avowed looks good. Only big studio release on my radar for the rest of the year.

I wonder if they’re gonna close blizzard too after the acquisition last year.

I don't remember that fuckin guys name. But the old Activision CEO was given a 9 figure golden parachute payout. Enough money to cover the payroll for all the employees they shitcanned yesterday for a few years.

I dunno. I don't like this model where every game you release needs to be an immediate massive financial success otherwise everyone gets fired. It discourages risks and innovation imo.

Madtater

Maybe they should get into the TV business instead because the Fallout series is fantastic!

I think Avowed looks good. Only big studio release on my radar for the rest of the year.

I don't remember that fuckin guys name. But the old Activision CEO was given a 9 figure golden parachute payout. Enough money to cover the payroll for all the employees they shitcanned yesterday for a few years.

I dunno. I don't like this model where every game you release needs to be a massive financial success otherwise everyone gets fired. It discourages risks and innovation imo.
He didnt get fired. It was part of the transition. After the acquisition was final, the 8 month clock started ticking . That was the agreement in the buyout.

He got a SHIT ton of money too.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
His name is Bobby Kotick and folks were already demanding his ouster due to a string of sexual/emotional abuses which he and his buddies took part in which included harassing one or more employees into suicide and stealing a different employee’s breast milk from the fridge. Also the whole Bill Cosby suite kerfuffle.

Edit: found the article I was thinking of, looks like I was misremembering his involvement, sounds like Afrasabi was the one who was directly named (and the dozens of npcs and items he put his name on were all renamed as a result): https://www.wowhead.com/news/activi...nia-over-discrimination-against-female-323503

Last edited:

Rodney

Anyone mess with retro handhelds? I have this arriving tomorrow and I’m pretty stoked.

yes i do and have several. i love retro gams and watching youtube retro gaming channels.

I have a DATA FROG SF2000 and Rayinblue 4.3'' RG300 and a few others as well as a PlayStation classic and all the PlayStation 1 games on usb homebrew usb sticks.

I also have several tv box that play all the retro games upto and including PlayStation 1.

The handheld you have arriving is the upgrade of one of mine and is really good with lots of good reviews

Madtater

His name is Bobby Kotick and folks were already demanding his ouster due to a string of sexual/emotional abuses which he and his buddies took part in which included harassing one or more employees into suicide and stealing a different employee’s breast milk from the fridge. Also the whole Bill Cosby suite kerfuffle.

Edit: found the article I was thinking of, looks like I was misremembering his involvement, sounds like Afrasabi was the one who was directly named (and the dozens of npcs and items he put his name on were all renamed as a result): https://www.wowhead.com/news/activi...nia-over-discrimination-against-female-323503
Ya….apparently he knew MS was gonna buyout activision/blizzard and started treating his employees like trash.

Lot of talent left that company.

I honestly think he did it on purpose so he didnt have to pay out in the buyout.

Then they rushed diablo4 before the buyout so they could keep that money.

Kotick was a douchebag.

florduh

Didn't know any of that. Jesus fucking Christ. Well. I'm sure he's learned his lesson after getting a several hundred-million-dollar payout.

Anyone mess with retro handhelds? I have this arriving tomorrow and I’m pretty stoked.

No, but I recently saw how cheap non-OLED Steam Decks have gotten and it sort of seems like I should :shrug:

delta hotel

It's me. I'm the NV fan. NV was the last good Fallout game, and a better Fallout 3 than Fallout 3 was.

Happy to see others coming around and enjoying it though!

Rodney

I already had Fallout 4 but got the GOTY edition key cheap here

I never buy steam games on steam only from the key sites as much cheaper.

Not played it recently again yet as been playing Banished and be playing Victoria 3 soon as i got that from humble monthly.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Didn't know any of that. Jesus fucking Christ. Well. I'm sure he's learned his lesson after getting a several hundred-million-dollar payout.
Yeah, it was BAD, main reason I deleted my blizzard account. He really reminds me of the Fyre Festival guy who started scamming for a Fyre 2 pretty much immediately after his probation ended.

Ya….apparently he knew MS was gonna buyout activision/blizzard and started treating his employees like trash.

Lot of talent left that company.

I honestly think he did it on purpose so he didnt have to pay out in the buyout.

Then they rushed diablo4 before the buyout so they could keep that money.

Kotick was a douchebag.
I believe it, definitely felt like he was courting a buyout for years, I miss Blizzard before the merger but sounds like the rot was always there and just became more public over time.

florduh

It's me. I'm the NV fan. NV was the last good Fallout game, and a better Fallout 3 than Fallout 3 was.

Happy to see others coming around and enjoying it though!

I meant no offense! FNV is truly fantastic. I’ve lost sleep over the past few weeks over some of the decisions I have to make in the game.

Also RIP to Matthew Perry/Benny. Both IRL and in my play through.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
2024-05-08-12-14-00-Steam.png

I've been eating time with a diet of these 3 games the last month. I put in a new gpu last month so I could play a game like Cyberpunk with all the goodies on. I wind up playing these low demand games. So typical for me.

Top Bottom