1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Pen Focus Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by PPN, Jan 10, 2016.

1. His_Highness

His_Highness In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

You said two of the three holes so we gotta be talking about the external air intake holes that pull air into the oven right? I'm with @djurodjakovic .... how are they getting clogged? From the inside would be my guess since getting them clogged from the outside would be near impossible.

Reclaim and/or small herb particles could clog it from the inside I guess. Reclaim sounds more likely but you'd have to allow it to cook, right side up and drip into the bottom a lot. The bottom of my oven gets gunked up but no where near enough to clog it like that. I just pull the screen and clean it and I'm all good. Are you using any concentrates with it? Maybe concentrate could drip/overflow into the bottom.

If I'm reading this right burn off's wouldn't have helped much since the maximum heat would not be flowing down into the holes past the oven. Heck...a burn off with enough reclaim built up on the bottom might even cause the reclaim to liquefy more and drip into the bottom and exacerbate the problem.

I can't think of any way to unlcog those holes other than trying to heat to max temp until that oven and the unit in general is as hot as it can get and then blowing INTO the mouthpiece to see if you can blow the clog outward with the hot air. Unfortunately this could make it even worse.

I'm stumped.....

2. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

My review of the Focus Pro S.

Since the first iteration of the Focus vape pen I was a tester/reviewer and the S I recently received was sent to me for free for a review. Thanks to the manufacturer, FocusVaporizer, to the retailer Lacentralevapeur and to this forum (for giving us a place to share!) to gave me the opportunity to test this vape and a lot of others, one of my favorite hobby, for sure!

This version of the Focus vape pen is the best in term of design, I personnaly find this body sleeker than for the previous versions but it rest a very solid vaporizer in hands. The battery cap is now with a venting hole in case of battery incident.It's slightly smaller in size (1mm shorter). Here a pic of the battery cap:
    [​IMG]

The adjustable airflow seems to work a lot better, you feel the difference! The ring seems more secure and doesn't move too easily which is nice.

Bowl is exactly the same, the mouthpiece too. It came with the usual accessories (loading tool, brush, tweezers, usb cord, replacement glass mouthpiece). The included water tool adapter is very bad.

Here a pic with a 18650 for size comparison and the Focus original (not the pro version):
    [​IMG]

Now about performances, it rest a conduction vaporizer.... but a powerfull one!
    The wide t° range (160°C-240°C) give you the opportunity to taste your meds at lower temp and to bump the t° to get very thick clouds.

The adjustable airflow makes more difference in vapor quality than for the previous versions. The restricted airflow produce bigger clouds and quicker extraction and the larger airflow is nice for a better taste and smoother hits.

The provided battery is not the best but will give you decent performances. It's a shame they didn't continue to include the LG HE2 they sent me with the first version.

All in all it's a solid choice to start in dry herb vaporization or to get a on the go device with replacable battery and nearly indestructible (the first version is my go to vape when going out under the worst conditions, using it with dirty hands, let it on the floor, in a bag or a car and even under the rain, fall a ton of times and it still works!). Performances are very decent and will make happy a lot of users, the unit come free of any factory smell&taste but it's better to do a short burn-off at max temp).

Here some links:

http://www.puffitup.com/Focus-Pro-S-Vape-p/fcv.pro-s.htm

https://lacentralevapeur.com/vapori...vaporisateur-portable-vape-pen-focusvape.html

Don't hesitate to ask if you have some questions, thanks for looking at my humble review.

3. kbrown5523

kbrown5523 Hopping in Washington

I just broke down and ordered a Focus Pro S. It's on sale at PIU for only $79.00. I just couldn't resist with the airflow so down on my existing Pro. I also really like the idea of the battery compartment vent hole. I really toyed around with the idea of getting a plug in tabletop unit, but in the end I simply couldn't afford it. Merry Christmas to me! :)

His_Highness, PPN and MonkeyTime like this.
  4. kbrown5523

I got my Focus Pro S yesterday. I was so excited, I couldn't believe how fast it got here. I wish I could say my excitement lasted once I started using it.

The Focus Pro S I got definitely does not heat up as hot, not nearly as hot as my old Focus Pro. Even setting it up ten degrees Celsius higher it doesn't give the same amount of vape as the old one set much lower. Not only that, but the exterior gets REALLY hot. Right now I have rubber bands wrapped around it to protect me from the heat.

Good thing I bought it from PIU. Now I just have to decide if I want to get my money back or throw in the extra $30.00 for an Arizer V-Tower.

PPN and Jill NYC like this.
  5. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

To be honnest I got exactly the same feeling.... twice, first when I got the Pro and now again, but I can only compare it to my original version which produces serious clouds even at 170-180.

Although if you use the lowest airflow setting, start at 190-200, pack it and let it some time for a heat soak you will get pretty nice clouds and a very good taste (only for a few pulls since it's a conduction unit). I agree this recommendations get me back 2 years ago when full conduction portables vaporizers was the norm....

His_Highness and kbrown5523 like this.
  6. Elac

Elac Silly rabbit trips are for kids

After 16 months my original focus is no longer working.
    To many falls on the cement workshop floor.
    But what a run we had 3-5 bowls every day, no exaggeration. This thing was so durable and dependable, still worked great right up to the last bowl.
    Rest in pieces my friend. :rip:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. kbrown5523

Sorry your friend passed, but thanks for sharing the autopsy pics. I'm the most curious about seeing the airpath, since that seems to be where mine always fails.

PPN and Elac like this.
  8. Elac

@kbrown5523 Thanks.
    Heres some pics of that area.
    When I pulled it apart there was a hard puck of herb dust almost completely filling the center of that silicone washer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FlyingDane, His_Highness, PPN and 2 others like this.
  9. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Thanks for this autopsy (idk if it's the good word)!

Do you see a way to open it to remove this dust to renew the airflow? without to break it , for sure?

kbrown5523 and His_Highness like this.
  10. Elac

@PPN It would be hard to without stressing the solder points and wires that attach to the heater. That section of the unit is just pressed together so disassembly should not damage the body. But the force needed is what could damage the connections.
    The failure of mine was that one of the thermistor wires came off the heating unit. To much a pain in the ass to repair in that small space.

His_Highness and PPN like this.
  11. kbrown5523

I was hoping the new Focus Pro S wouldn't plug as easily since they said they made some changes to the airflow. Seems like the weakest elements of most vapes is not having a way to clean out the airpath. It was one of the reasons I invested in the Elevape Smart Vape. It can be completely disassembled and the airway can be completely cleaned. Too bad it didn't work out, especially since I spent the most money on it.

His_Highness and Elac like this.
  12. His_Highness

His_Highness In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

If you want a vape where the air-path is least likely to clog and can be easily cleaned .... Arizer Solo, Solo2, Arizer Air, Air2.

If you want to keep it to a reasonable price....Solo.

Meach, kbrown5523 and Elac like this.
  13. kbrown5523

Thanks for the suggestions, I really am looking for any help I can get. I thought I remember reading that the Solo had pretty poor airflow in the first place, but maybe I'm thinking of another vape? Are any of them easy to use with a bong, because I'm pretty much strictly a with water user.

His_Highness and Meach like this.
  14. Meach

Meach Well-Known Member

There are niche vapes and daily driver vapes..the focus is not a daily driver for me..it fits the niche of an on the go vape or one you would take hiking or fishing with you....the solo is a portable that can be used easily at home and is a heavy hitter for a single person or up-to 2 people....for a vape that does both and is easy to clean the boundless offerings with the vape exhale screens are a good choice. I own 4 vapes had the focus before an accident killed it..lol and it's a great on the go vape for yourself..very discreet and surprisingly efficient for a conduction vape

His_Highness likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors