Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Tip/Bonus Feature: Your Flux Deluxe as a plug-in desktop IH!

This is how to use the Flux Deluxe with an external power supply, for whatever reasons you may have.

Parts needed: 12V / 10A / 120W Power Supply similar to this one (unaffiliated link): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9X4GLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steps:
  1. REMOVE YOUR BATTERIES!
  2. No, seriously, you have to pull 'em out before continuing, or you might damage them. That's what makes this a "bonus" feature. If it were a planned feature, you wouldn't have to do that. ;)
  3. Plug in the above 10A PSU or similar*.
  4. Turn on your Flux Deluxe and enjoy!
Cheers,
:leaf:

* If your Flux Deluxe has a 16mm coil, you may be able to get away with the $10 Kastar 6A model, but the 14mm coil units will require a 10A PSU like the one above.

JibbsIsMe

What is the difference in the 14 and 16 in lamens terms. So even newbies can understand ‍♂️
I asked about this via email yesterday, and I received this very helpful answer:

Yes. You can go through more heating cycles and/or leave the vapcap in the heater another 1-2 seconds post-click for a slightly darker roast. If you adjust the temp control towards the minimum, you can also a little heat longer post-click with less fear of combusting, though less heat = well, less heat. ;)

I think the sports car analogy I used in one of my posts is still pretty apt:
  • 16mm coil: Very predictable, like a family car. You will get many good hits from each load, and it is a lot harder to combust vs the 14mm coil.
  • 14mm coil: Reacts quickly to input, like a sports car. It heats quickly (and deeply - more deeply than the 16mm), but it will also combust more quickly, so you need to stay on top of it. My ABV is darker with the 14mm coil, but I probably combust about once per evening w/the 14mm coil, vs. never combusting w/the 16mm coil.

mario

Combusting once a night doesn't seem right. That makes the coil sound a lot more unpredictable. I wonder if turning the pot down would take care of that in the 14mm version. I hate combusting my vapcaps. It basically means I have to clean everything I was using at the time since it tastes horrible to me. Combusting by accident once a night would be infuriating for me.

That doesn't make it sound like a sports car. That makes it sound like a crotch rocket that would eventually kill you. If that was the case, I don't see Jeff using that in that way. It seems far too unpredictable.

Like I said, I wonder if this is taken care of by dropping the heat on the pot while using the 14mm coil.

JibbsIsMe

Combusting once a night doesn't seem right. That makes the coil sound a lot more unpredictable. I wonder if turning the pot down would take care of that in the 14mm version. I hate combusting my vapcaps. It basically means I have to clean everything I was using at the time since it tastes horrible to me. Combusting by accident once a night would be infuriating for me.

Yeah I agree completely. I trust that if anyone knows how to use the heater, it's the creator, and if he says he's combusting then the 14mm is definitely not for me.

mario

I just watched the YouTube video again and the 16mm could abv doesn’t look cooked at all. It would take a lot more than 4 cycles to vape that bowl.

The 14mm looks more like I would expect, but again it didn’t look close to combustion. I have a LucidCustoms IH and it has a 16mm coil. I do have to leave my caps in there for an extra second to get good hits on my water pieces. So the 14mm sounded good for hard fast hits, but combusting is the opposite of what I’m going for.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
On reflection, saying I combusted once per night w/the 14mm coil was an overstatement. Sorry. It is easier to combust if you aren’t paying attention, but its behavior is consistent. I could have stated what I meant a bit better.

Will post more when I have time.

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
I chose 14 for mine. I do like hotter hits but I'm planning on experimenting with the dial. Slowing it down a bit seems like it might be a good idea. I'm looking forward to my research!

I'm hoping the cold weather doesn't delay my shipment too much. Local post offices are closed today but my tracking # still says delivery by tomorrow! We'll see. New toy to play with for Super Bowl Sunday?

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
On reflection, saying I combusted once per night w/the 14mm coil was an overstatement. Sorry. It is easier to combust if you aren’t paying attention, but its behavior is consistent. I could have stated what I meant a bit better.

Will post more when I have time.
What are you considering as combustion? Actual ash? I've been using VC's for a long time and never produced ash, however, there is a point at which pyrolysis happens and the load will taste like crap and come out very dark [black?] and off-putting. I like to tred close to that line and the IH makes that much easier than a torch. I'm watching these discusisons of the 14mm coil with some interest.

mario

When I combust for real, yes the inside turns to ash.

I have gotten my ABV black a number of times, I consider that to be when i hit 'max extraction' and I dump it. That level is much easier to hit with IH, but I usually can do it with the torch too.

When you combust you know it, the smoke turns yellow and tastes like satans ass.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
The 14mm coil heats more quickly than the 16mm coil. Not so quickly that things spontaneously combust, but quickly enough that you want to be on your toes when you use it.

If you are a person that sometimes confuses the second click with the first click - or if you have a wonky vapcap that doesn't click sometimes, as I have - the quicker heating cycle means you are going to be more likely to combust with the 14mm coil than you would with the 16mm coil.

Thanks for adding your description, @bizwaxzion ! My 'combustion' experiences sound exactly like your description of pyrolysis, rather than actual ash. Black, dark, bitter tasting, kinda smoldering - yep! :nod: Actual smoke and ash? Nope.

I am very sorry for creating some unnecessary confusion about this feature. The 14mm coil is safe and works very well, but it may not be a good choice for a newbie, or for someone with a vapcap that is inconsistent, or someone who with a strong preference for more/smaller hits (16mm) vs fewer/bigger hits (14mm).

I look forward to getting more of these units into the hands of more of you so you can relate your actual experience instead of having to rely on my 'word salad' descriptions. ;)

Last edited:

mario

hahaha. I think being part of this is half the fun of being part of this project. We all get to discuss WITH you about things that we are thinking and questions we have. That's something you don't normally get, 'word salad' or no.

I've been tuning in my Vapcap skills for over a year, I feel I know my pieces well enough to be able to handle the 14mm coil without a problem. Getting my abv to that dark color is how I know I'm done. If the thing lights on fire in the bowl, well that has only happened when I got a bit too toasted and tried to use a lighter while I had noise canceling headphones on...know what you can't hear with noise cancelling headphones on? Clicks....In any case, that kind of combustion turns everything to literal ash. If the 14mm coil is only getting things super dark, that is 100% fine with me. Like I said, I've dialed in my caps pretty well know know when and how to heat them so I'm confident that I can figure out the sports car model without an issue. :)

I only jumped in with more questions because it sounded like there was literal ash making every night. Thank you for checking in with us crazy people here and letting us know what's going on. Like I said, I think this is part of the fun! :)

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
Tip/Bonus Feature: Your Flux Deluxe as a plug-in desktop IH!

This is how to use the Flux Deluxe with an external power supply, for whatever reasons you may have.

Parts needed: 12V / 10A / 120W Power Supply similar to this one (unaffiliated link): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9X4GLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steps:
  1. REMOVE YOUR BATTERIES!
  2. No, seriously, you have to pull 'em out before continuing, or you might damage them. That's what makes this a "bonus" feature. If it were a planned feature, you wouldn't have to do that. ;)
  3. Plug in the above 10A PSU or similar*.
  4. Turn on your Flux Deluxe and enjoy!
Cheers,
:leaf:

* If your Flux Deluxe has a 16mm coil, you may be able to get away with the $10 Kastar 6A model, but the 14mm coil units will require a 10A PSU like the one above.

This is so cool! It was mentioned in a wish-list earlier in the thread, I always thought this would be a great feature, and here it is! Thanks, mr_c!

Edit add - Post office is closed again tomorrow. Looks like my delivery is going to be delayed. :huh:

Last edited:

D_tokes

The tactile switch .
I do not need a ceramic disk.Neither a tactile switch .
:freak:

I used the stainless steel stem (or is it "bar" ? ) of a tattoo needle .
Some solder flux for SS and lead -free solder (starts to melt beyond 215 C ) .
Used some small pieces of the tattoo needle bar and solder them to serve as bare contacts .
The cap is actually the ...switching media !

Cheers!

This seems like a good idea to me, are their any disadvantages other than the possibility of a bad connection? Has anyone measured the current draw to the mosfet gate?

D_tokes,

slozukimc

This seems like a good idea to me, are their any disadvantages other than the possibility of a bad connection? Has anyone measured the current draw to the mosfet gate?
If you read on I believe it says there was a problem with it robbing heat and not working right so the switch was replaced.

slozukimc,
Reactions: AtomicPB

mario

Yeah the top of the cap becomes too much of a heatsink and it messes with the clicking I think. The button press is still the best option I think.

Top Bottom