Firewood Vaporizer

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
v2UzHes.jpg

This is our 420EDC OTG Stashcase, watertight and airtight. Underneath everything shown is a Mendo Mulcher 1.75" two piece Doublethick.

Should have an update this week on glass screened capsules for the FW4. Not 100% sure it is going to work but I'm sure we'll come up with something if this prototype run doesn't cut it. Imagine the mouthpiece glass as a capsule with a glass screened bottom, that's what is in the works. The question is the thin glass and connecting the glass screen, the holes may close or the integrity of the thin wall may not hold up. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Hagbard Celine

Mine arrived today. As others have reported, it has an artisan look and feel. Very comfortable to handle. Slightly smaller than expected (which is good). How does it work?....

Not sure yet as the battery is on the charger. I'll try to report some thoughts soon. I'm hopeful that this is the right sort of portable for me.

Hagbard Celine

Anxiously waiting to hear what the damage is on mine :(

I was thinking about you when I unboxed it today. Luckily, no issues at all with the battery cover like you had. And I was careful inspecting the spring inside the battery compartment :)

Hagbard Celine,
Reactions: muunch

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I'm sure mine was an isolated incident. Everything was fine really. I could have dealt with the battery door. The spring I believe was weakly soldered.

Either way, definitely enjoy. I'm missing mine. I was saving some Gorilla Scout cookies for when I got mine back, but had to bust into it. I really liked the flavor thru the cooling unit on lv1/2.

I think my only REAL gripe with this device is the lack of a screen over the heater. But that's not the biggest deal with the capsule system and clearly why it's there.

muunch,

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
My tracking number says it's at the local hub but that delivery should be today. Think the mail is going to fuck me

XiolaOne,

Hagbard Celine

I have a question about battery usage in the FW4. I'm very new to 18650 batteries, so bear with me. I've read a few things recently, such as it's better not to let them fully discharge (I even read that it is also better to not let them fully charge to absolute full capacity either? to maximize battery life?) but I'm not sure what to believe or even what others typically do.

In order to get the best usage from one of these 18650 batteries, when do most users of the FW4 charge up their battery again? The unit buzzes how full the battery is when you turn it on (1-5 buzzes, to indicate low to full). It also is supposed to do a different sequence of buzzes (3 quick buzzes a few times) to indicate when the battery is too low to even use in the device. Do users typically wait until the FW4 buzzes one time that the battery is low and then put it on the charger? Is it better to just keep using it and wait until the unit buzzes the 3-quick buzz sequence indicating that it needs to be charged again?

BadDog No

My knowledge of the 18650 comes from owning a Milaana for a few months, so no expert here, but battery care has been the subject of many posts over there and I've read, sigh, all of them. For really long term storage it's apparently best, if counter intuitive, not to fully charge them. No long term storage in my house...:). My 4 (2 25rs and 2 LG "brownies") all get cycled pretty regularly so I charge them until my Nitecore D2 says they're done. It's so easy to change batteries that it makes no sense to run them all the way down. My understanding is that running them down is kind of hard on them, and while there are overload circuits and such, they also tend to run hotter as they discharge. So it's one session, or one chamber and I put in a new battery. I'm probably being overcautious, but then I won't carry Milaana (unregulated unlike FW4) around with a battery in her either. So do some research, make some forum searches, and don't take anything I say for gospel until you've confirmed it elsewhere, but that's how I roll. ;) What a little sweetheart the FW4 is though, eh?

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I end up having to take a few cigar puffs (3-4) on my FW3 every time just to start getting some visible vapor. I start at 2 then move to 3 after a few hits (temp adjusted to 3) and the firewood gets pretty hot in the front.. This is my first convection, I own a flowermate 5s and a solo, and I really like the fw3 so far but I really need to get this technic (sp?) right.

Is it normal for the FW3 to get pretty hot? What about the cigar puffs.....am I doing this right?

Sounds about right. Mine gets hot too, just on the side where the heater is though. But yeah, really fucking hot!

Sounds like your cigar puff method is working when you factor in the temps you using. I use Temp setting 4, temp stepped up 4 settings too. I do one primer puff, wait 5-10 seconds. Then do my draw. First hit is nice cloud big flavor. Then I get like 3-5 more massive clouds with flavor diminishing each time. Then it's about kicked.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
So I apparently killed my little guy trying to revive him. Man I feel like a dumbass :doh:

The good news is, I'm getting a unit that has a new finishing process Marc is working on.

How many people mess with the temp boosting feature? Was debating knocking it up 1 or 2 levels for temps 1 and 2 specifically

Last edited:

BadDog No

@muunch: Tell us more about the new finish. The tung oil/limonene certainly has it's fans here, but I'm not really one of them. Hope the smell eventually goes away on mine. It doesn't add much to the flavor profile, but it's there.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I believe it's the same materials, just with an added step?

Not too sure. I'll post pics when I get it back. Will be neat since my CU is unfinished

BadDog No

Ah, probably just a refinement then. Something on his site about a hot carnuba wax and oil final coat maybe? Oh well, next one I'll try to finish myself...

BadDog No,

xlr8shun

earlier in the thread marc explains his current process.. i wonder what he's changing..

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/firewood-vaporizer.9306/page-117#post-1040723

The final coat is around 2 or 3 parts Tung oil to 1 part limonene to to part carnauba wax flakes mixed on low heat then cooled to form a waxy paste. I'm thinking about packaging small quantities of that paste for firewood touch ups but I need to get caught up on some orders first.

and i will deff be getting some extra, i'd like (eventually) for my capsule holder to match

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Yeah, I will for sure post pics when i get it back likely next week.

I'll also say, even tho my unit is RIP he's replacing it for free bc this unit has some small cosmetic dmg and was used as a test for the new buffing process.

I thought this was an extremely kind gesture and figured I'd detail it here. I don't regret continuing to recommend it even after what happened and hope people just learn from my dumbass mistake lol

Edit: shipping label created! :drool:

Last edited:

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
My order showed up 1 day late thanks to the post office but just got through testing it out and so far so good

XiolaOne,

BadDog No

Hagbard asked:Have you noticed any functional differences between the 25rs and the LG HG2s?

The LG seems to be a touch more powerful, but if you were to blindfold and test me, I probably couldn't tell the difference. One of my LGs is at least a hundred cycles newer than the others though and even that is barely noticeable. Of course I usually change my batteries well before necessary so I can't speak to comparative life.

BadDog No,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
HG2s seem to be the best overall. I'll be ordering another so I have a full set of 4.

Probably overkill but I also switch mine out after a session or two.

Scheduled to arrive Friday OHMY I'm even more excited than last week since I already know how sweet it is

muunch,

Aristosseur

Which of the recommended batteries on the site would you say is the best? I see some mentions of LG HG2.
  • LG HE2, HE4, HG2
  • Efest IMR 18650 3000mah 35A Flat Top
  • Samsung 25R
  • Sony VCT4, VCT5, VCT6

Aristosseur,

ZC

I'm finding the glass on the cooling mouthpiece gets dirty pretty quickly. Don't some people put glass stems like this in hot chocolate to reclaim a bit?

As for batteries, I see no reason to use a battery other than the HG2. Any minor, barely noticeable performance difference between other batteries is trumped by extra capacity. EDIT: And I have VCT5's and HE4's to compare it to.

Top Bottom