Firewood Vaporizer

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Is it normal to not want to close my battery lid? Even if I ensure it's flush, when I close til the click, it takes so much effort to get off.

This thing is sweet though. It seems so tiny compared to my Milaana. Can easily see how this would be more favorable for situations where more stealth/discretion would be necessary than my Milaana can afford me.

I also quite like how the mouthpiece functions as a WPA. Works great dry with and without cooling unit at no sacrifice of flavor.

Very happy. Too bad I have exams today, will be a bit before a proper sit down

BadDog No

muunch asked:Is it normal to not want to close my battery lid? Even if I ensure it's flush, when I close til the click, it takes so much effort to get off.

It becomes easier as it wears in and you also become more familiar with it. Or, and I'm not necessarily recommending this although I'm not sure how it could do any harm, you could put a smidgeon of beeswax on the mating surfaces and let it work in through use. It still takes a bit of skillfully applied force to open it, but action is overall much smoother. I have the same conclusion you have. Millie Milaana may be my top transportable (like to a garden party), but Firewood the fourth is tops for walkabout. My any hour it will arrive now Grasshopper is really going to have to fight for a spot in the lineup. Oh good luck with exams!

trenchkato

Is it normal to not want to close my battery lid? Even if I ensure it's flush, when I close til the click, it takes so much effort to get off.

This thing is sweet though. It seems so tiny compared to my Milaana. Can easily see how this would be more favorable for situations where more stealth/discretion would be necessary than my Milaana can afford me.

I also quite like how the mouthpiece functions as a WPA. Works great dry with and without cooling unit at no sacrifice of flavor.

Very happy. Too bad I have exams today, will be a bit before a proper sit down

Try the gun cock method recommend by mmj

trenchkato,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Link? Can't find it. I actually don't think my thumbs can handle pushing it off again so I'm waiting til I get some beeswax which'll hopefully fix it.

Really enjoying it otherwise. The design and craftsmanship are really beautiful.

Edit:
I sanded the tiny hump on the battery door and its perfect now.

Last edited:
muunch,
Reactions: ZC

hippogriff

Think for once I'm going to follow the instructions and NOT soak the silicone. Dip it maybe if I don't want to dig the screen out, but must be some reason for Marc to say not to soak. OTOH the mouthpieces are cheap enough (especially compared to the value of the weed that passes through them) that they can be considered as a consumable; disposable if need be. My :2c:. I'm down to using one screen at home anyway since I use Woodie upside down. Like others have expressed, a glass screen would be nice. If I post a link to an OGB J hook, would you guys tell me if you think it's as much "the cat's meow" as I do? It's very small, and not at all shaped like a J hook. :) Ok I'll go ahead and post this, but promise you'll come back and do the link after I get it...
EDIT:
http://oregonglassblower.com/14mm-GLASS-J-HOOK-Female-Curved-14jhfc.htm

I think I could put a rubber band or 2 around it and Woody and I could do walkabouts with a little hydration. What you think?

EDIT 2: Oh, and great post Zenryder. I've had good luck with the same "pulling heat into the capsule" technique you use. I'm not technically combusting since I haven't seen flames or smelled smoke, but I can get my ABV as black as coal. It's a problem going through water; greed is pretty much the norm. I find that like the Milaana I need to do a count if I don't want to char the "biomass".
Hey I have that piece! Ask him to make it w/ a Milaana-spec male and it's a nice one-handed setup. Loved mine, sadly dropped while installed onto concrete, warranty repair for Pascal and I'll get another OGB stem someday.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Any urge I had to get a GH just got murdered. With this and my UD arriving monday I actually worry about the fate of my Milaana. I love it but this device is a lot more refined.

I guess if I was in a more lenient state, I wouldn't care, but the ease of use (lack of need for stealth in any aspect with preloaded capsules+mouthpieces) and battery life of this thing are quite nice.

There is almost no flavor difference compared to Milaana. Mil is definitely stronger and more free flowing but this is nice. It's good for when I want to kick back and get a cloudy low temp hit without effort.

I'm definitely "honeymooning" right now but first impressions tend to stick

ohmygodimsohigh

Link? Can't find it. I actually don't think my thumbs can handle pushing it off again so I'm waiting til I get some beeswax which'll hopefully fix it.

Really enjoying it otherwise. The design and craftsmanship are really beautiful.

Edit:

I need to sand mine down too. I couldn't get it open the other night and it really REALLLLLY frustrated me. But then the next morning it came off after a little bit more struggle. I think humidity must affect it or something.

ohmygodimsohigh,

trenchkato

Edit:

I see you already sanded yours. But for others of your door is hard to get off, hold the fw in the one hand and use the other to slide the door off like using a pistol. After a couple days it week get easier.

trenchkato,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I need to sand mine down too. I couldn't get it open the other night and it really REALLLLLY frustrated me. But then the next morning it came off after a little bit more struggle. I think humidity must affect it or something.

I really hurt my thumbs earlier trying lol. Sanding def works and it's still quite secure. Not sure if good advice but worked fine in my case

Edit:

7byOr3r

7byOr3r.jpg

Please tell me I don't need to send this back

..... Tried to glue it back on... Now the button doesn't work. Great.

Last edited:
muunch,

Alegre

Pobre payaso
I end up having to take a few cigar puffs (3-4) on my FW3 every time just to start getting some visible vapor. I start at 2 then move to 3 after a few hits (temp adjusted to 3) and the firewood gets pretty hot in the front.. This is my first convection, I own a flowermate 5s and a solo, and I really like the fw3 so far but I really need to get this technic (sp?) right.

Is it normal for the FW3 to get pretty hot? What about the cigar puffs.....am I doing this right?

Alegre,

ZC

Yeah you gotta send it back in. You can't just glue it, that's an electrical connection and needs to be soldered into place.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Yeah you gotta send it back in. You can't just glue it, that's an electrical connection and needs to be soldered into place.

I thought so but even with the spring completely loose it would turn on sometimes.

Well. Hopefully the glue didn't fuck anything up too bad. I feel like a dumbass but I really didn't want to send it back. I didn't even have it 12hrs and all I did was take the battery out :(

muunch,

BadDog No

muunch wrote:
Edit:

Last edited: Yesterday at 2:30 PM
Strange how we all approach our stuff differently. I figure Marc must have put endless hours into calculating just how big to make that hump so it wouldn't wear out prematurely, and you just decided to eliminate it. Hell I wouldn't even put wax right there because I was afraid to change it's function. Well let's hope your unit comes back all tidied up (and that your battery cover door stays in place).

sk8man121

Frozen_Vaporent
As I continue to determine where the firewood fits in my lineup, I'm happy to report a "mod" that has taken my FW4 to an entirely new level as an at-home vape. It dawned on me that one of the tapered 14mm DDave Adaptor wands for my Arizer EQ might be a perfect fit for the firewood's opening, and indeed it is. It fits snug and sits right above the heater.

I don't have any of the basket screens that came with the DDave kit, so I used one of the FW4's screens and jammed it about 1/2 inch up the base of the wand. This allows for about maybe .2g or so to be packed tightly into the wand so that it doesn't fall onto the heater (this concern could be mitigated by adding a custom-cut screen between the wand and the heater, sitting in the unit itself.

Here are some pics:

20ppt0j.jpg

2330w0.jpg

155ghgm.jpg

So, what does this do?
  1. It widens the airpath and makes drawing at a "normal" speed much more acceptable to the unit.
  2. It allows for longer pulls without "running out of air" the way the tiny cooling unit mouthpiece affects airflow.
  3. It cools the vapor extremely well, allowing for native use at temps 3-4 without issue.
  4. It looks and feels sturdy and overall pretty rad.

The .2g or so pack yielded me 4 massive hits on temp level 3—the biggest and most satisfying I've gotten out of the FW4 since it arrived. Obviously, this is more of an at-home solution than takeaway, as it adds significantly to the vape's profile. It feels like hitting a convection arizer solo to me, though, which I think rules. The Grasshopper I've added to my lineup is hands down a better on-the-go unit IMO, so this is not a problem for me. If it were, I would simply swap the DDave wand out for capsules/mouthpieces for on-the-go use.

I'm not saying "do this." I'm saying this is how I'll be using my FW4 for the foreseeable future unless my hopper is out of commission for on-the-go use.

Office_Printer

As I continue to determine where the firewood fits in my lineup, I'm happy to report a "mod" that has taken my FW4 to an entirely new level as an at-home vape. It dawned on me that one of the tapered 14mm DDave Adaptor wands for my Arizer EQ might be a perfect fit for the firewood's opening, and indeed it is. It fits snug and sits right above the heater.

I don't have any of the basket screens that came with the DDave kit, so I used one of the FW4's screens and jammed it about 1/2 inch up the base of the wand. This allows for about maybe .2g or so to be packed tightly into the wand so that it doesn't fall onto the heater (this concern could be mitigated by adding a custom-cut screen between the wand and the heater, sitting in the unit itself.

Here are some pics:

20ppt0j.jpg

2330w0.jpg

155ghgm.jpg

So, what does this do?
  1. It widens the airpath and makes drawing at a "normal" speed much more acceptable to the unit.
  2. It allows for longer pulls without "running out of air" the way the tiny cooling unit mouthpiece affects airflow.
  3. It cools the vapor extremely well, allowing for native use at temps 3-4 without issue.
  4. It looks and feels sturdy and overall pretty rad.

The .2g or so pack yielded me 4 massive hits on temp level 3—the biggest and most satisfying I've gotten out of the FW4 since it arrived. Obviously, this is more of an at-home solution than takeaway, as it adds significantly to the vape's profile. It feels like hitting a convection arizer solo to me, though, which I think rules. The Grasshopper I've added to my lineup is hands down a better on-the-go unit IMO, so this is not a problem for me. If it were, I would simply swap the DDave wand out for capsules/mouthpieces for on-the-go use.

I'm not saying "do this." I'm saying this is how I'll be using my FW4 for the foreseeable future unless my hopper is out of commission for on-the-go use.
Can these be purchased somewhere?

Office_Printer,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
muunch wrote:
Edit:

Last edited: Yesterday at 2:30 PM
Strange how we all approach our stuff differently. I figure Marc must have put endless hours into calculating just how big to make that hump so it wouldn't wear out prematurely, and you just decided to eliminate it. Hell I wouldn't even put wax right there because I was afraid to change it's function. Well let's hope your unit comes back all tidied up (and that your battery cover door stays in place).

Honestly it took a superhuman amount of effort to get it off after closing it. I didn't really do much. It still clicks but I can slide it off without using both hands and multiple attempts.

It's on its way back now though so we'll see what happens.

Edit: whatever happens is my own fault. Except the spring. Did seem like it was glued on tbh. Solder must have been weak. Idk. I really liked it and can't wait to have it back

Last edited:
muunch,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I couldn't figure out a good way to do it. Maybe with the cooling unit? But that'd be a bit goofy.

Anyway. Imagine the spring damage was caused by my messing with the door... I'd feel even worse. x_x

muunch,

Jimmer144

Sargeant REG
There's finished Firewoods available on the website right now for anyone who's looking to purchase, I would be but VAS was too strong for me over Black Friday weekend so I went ahead and picked up a CF with a free Wpa!

BadDog No

On the 14mm DDave wand guys? Although the DDave rimmed basket adds just a smidgeon to the overall length, I'd use it with an internal screen for now. Seems perfect to me with no basket, but only a "B" fit with it inserted. I do tend to err on the side of caution (I'm old), but it would be nice if one of the principals could weigh in (with product in hand). Or maybe someone could do a "14 mm wands and the FW4" on Youtube. :2c:

EDIT: My 14 mm stem is from the Eq kit, so maybe the Milaana 14 would be fine. The DDave "water wand attatchment" (obviously I don't know what it's called) in 14mm is shorter and seems to fit fine with the basket, but so far I've only done a dry run. This is the piece with tapered glass on one end designed to fit to silicone tubing, it's much shorter than the stem. Hook some silicone tubing on it and you can use it as you wish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom