Firewood Vaporizer

trenchkato

It looks to me that the 3 capsules with holder dont include the mouthpieces, so you would just swap out the capsule into the mouthpice you're already using.
The mouthpieces with holder seem to include mouthpieces AND capsules.

I think having spare mouthpieces and capsules, which is what I have, is better.
The capsule itself does get hot so if you wanted to swap out a capsule you just used you would be handling hot glass.
To swap out the whole mouthpiece and capsule is easier because you can grab the mouthpiece by the silicone bit.

The 3 piece capsule and holder do include mouthpieces

trenchkato,
Reactions: KeroZen

Alegre

Pobre payaso
My first try with the FW3. Some green, some brown and some black. I feel like I combusted a little....not sure.

I mostly vaped on temp 2 (+4 clicks) but for my last hit I bumped it up to 3 and that's when I feel it got too hot.

XuB7wHU.jpg

Alegre,

Hagbard Celine

AFAIK the only difference between I and D are the screen. Get the D2.

edit: here is a link to a D2 sold and fulfilled by Amazon. Much less likely to be fake, and should be the latest model.

I was thinking the D might mean display, but the 2 middle ones I linked to are call i2 and still have displays.

I wonder if there is a newer (2016) D2 model? It says on these ads that the newer 2016 12 version charges faster. Maybe the same is true of a newer model D2?

Hagbard Celine,

Office_Printer

I was thinking the D might mean display, but the 2 middle ones I linked to are call i2 and still have displays.

I wonder if there is a newer (2016) D2 model? It says on these ads that the newer 2016 12 version charges faster. Maybe the same is true of a newer model D2?
I didn't realize the D2 only did .5A charging. If I was you I would consider XTAR. They make great chargers as well and this one does 1A.

Office_Printer,
Reactions: KeroZen

Hagbard Celine

I didn't realize the D2 only did .5A charging. If I was you I would consider XTAR. They make great chargers as well and this one does 1A.

Thanks for that. Now I see that the newer 2016 Nitecore charger can only charge a single battery at 1A. Its either 2 batteries at 0.5A, or 1 battery at 1A.

Maybe the XTAR you linked to is better after all (charges 2 batteries both at 1A).

Hagbard Celine,

BadDog No

Got a nice workaround for how to clear the heat. Since the heater is going to stay on as long as you're inhaling, the safe way to clouds is simply to pull the mouthpiece at the end of a hit, and then clear it for 5 or so seconds. I'm using an improvised 18/14 glass mouthpiece and I just yank the whole thing out after a good pull and then pull some more. I'm probably not explaining this very well which is testament to its effectiveness...;) It has transformed the experience for me. OK I'm a bit of a glutton so while I talk a good "low temperature terpene goodness" story I really like big hits. Not that I'm a cloudchaser, but wispy won't do. It sounds more work than it is and is a much better solution than turning it off. Really pretty easy to jam the silicone hard into the 18/14 and then gently insert it into Woody. As long as there is a positive seal, it's all you need and then it's easy to take out. I know I should get a camera...:(
EDIT: And if you use a clip (Keck, Kleck, something like that) to fasten your mouthpiece to the 14 F bubbler and then simply lift Woody away from his mouthpiece while continuing to clear the heat for a few seconds. Maybe this is the Holy Grail of vapes after all (and maybe I'm a little amazed I can still type)...;)

Last edited:

aphidii

Have had a good chance to get to know the fw4 now, and I think I'm definitely getting the best clouds with a 1/3 full capsule, sucking it up vacuum style so it stays nice and loose.
I use the capsule attached to the cu to suck up the herb out of my grinder, gives a bit better access.

I temp step from 2 to 4 through a session (it is definitely more satisfying as a session vape than an on demand one hitter), and I never get combustion at level 4.

One other thing I do now when I'm almost finished at level 4 is take the cu/cap out of the unit and give it a good tap and shake and there'll be one more good cloud and more even avb.

Overall it's now my favorite vape for at home unless I want an instant monster hit, in which case I'll use the Brick, and definitely my fave for out at the park

ZC

If there's one thing I wish @firewood would do is use bigger screens for the basket screen in the capsule. Almost all of mine are slightly off center presses, so the screen tends to want to slip diagonally. If the screens started as bigger circles they would have more "grab" all the way around and this would be a non-issue. But as is these screens barely want to hold and I'm spending a lot more time fiddling with them then I should.

BadDog No

@ZC: I hear you buddy. Hate 'em too. I'm not sure if I should post that a 14mm DDave wand fits and eliminates the fiddly screens for a sturdier basket. Of course there is now no screen between your weed and the heater. It works fine for me because I pack little budlets pretty hard so I'm not worried about weed falling down on the unscreened heater. Nah, I better not post it. Somebody will do a loose pack, dump the whole load down on the heater, burn it up and it will be all my fault...Probably void the warranty too. Don't do it. ;)

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I use my capsules upside down all the time and haven't had more than a few flakes of bud fall down on the heater, works pretty much the same as a glass stem with a Log for me.

I still just have the FW3 and not the 4 yet as I'm still on the fence when it comes to needing to use an external battery charger... still i gotta say that the FW4 is looking better and better to me but my fw3 is serving me so well I just don't see the need to up-grade for now.

:peace:

Last edited:

BadDog No

If you use FW4 upside down with the mouthpiece inserted into a F 14 bubbler, then you don't need a screen in the capsule since gravity becomes your friend. I know, Duh... but hey, it took me two days to figure that out, someone might benefit. :lol: I load with the capsule in the mouthpiece, and insert it into the glass and then drop the FW on top. Unloading is simple. Pull the mouthpiece. Wait for the capsule to cool, and run a dowel through to remove the ABV. So much faster and easier than dealing with the second screen. Research continues...
Oh random thoughts. Love how you can use the sound of your inhale through the intake port to gauge correct draw speed. Had doubts about the timing of the auto shutoff, but it seems to kick in when I'm off in a reverie so probably a good reminder that further medication is not immediately necessary. ;)

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
You using this in a bubbler over Milaana? Compare if you don't mind.

My fw should be arriving this week and I've been using my Milaana a ton thru 14mm female glass since I cleaned the screen. Not easy to milk but getting huge hits.

ZC

I find the FW4 harder to get good results with on water. The whole thing hinges on draw speed and it's hard to keep a consistent speed with no feedback etc.

BadDog No

Guys I'm still in the honeymoon phase with "Woody" so I'm just exploring all possibilities. I have a 14 stem from DDave for the EQ which works great, but is a pain to have to wait to warm up for a short session. I don't yet have an adaptor to use a 14 with Milaana so if I just want a quick session, Woody is my convenient choice. Mostly though I'm just fooling around...;) Of course my grasshopper is due to be shipped so we'll throw that in the mix and I'm starting to miss the cool elegance of my Fireflys. Sure it's not cheap keeping VAS in check but it's a LOT more fun than therapy, and probably cheaper too! :)

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I find the FW4 harder to get good results with on water. The whole thing hinges on draw speed and it's hard to keep a consistent speed with no feedback etc.

This is what I thought. Of course I'll put my FW thru the tests when I get it :)

Been compulsively checking tracking info hoping it'll show up early somehow lol

muunch,

StonerSloth

cui bono?
I think the Crafty cooling unit is the perfect companion for the FW4. It is the perfect size and adds exactly the right amount of draw restriction (very little.) It is really helping me on my quest for quick extraction. The flavor is better than through water and it is easier to control.

Second favorite = dry Orbiter.

Haven't tried the upside down capsule yet...

StonerSloth,
Reactions: ZC

Zenryder

Hello everyone. I’ve had the FW4 for about 2 weeks now and I think I’ve had it long enough to get a good feel for it. This is going to be a long one so please skip to the 3rd paragraph if you just want my review of the FW4. Just as a quick background on me, I’m a medical user and usually 1-2 hits is all I need once or twice a day, and occasionally more depending on how the day goes. I was a long time daily appreciator of herb from my late teens through late twenties then took an 8 year break until medical reasons led me back as a way to reduce other prescribed medications.

I was really looking for the FW4 to fill a specific function, that of a relatively quick and discrete (size, and smell) on-demand convection unit for use both at home and for carrying around for irregular use in public. I already have the SBJ (which is very different, but fantastic in its own right), an E-nano, and a Pax 2. With the latter two having been untouched since I got the SBJ. While the SBJ is truly great at what it does, for me it didn’t meet all of the specific situational and functional needs I was looking to fill with the FW4.

I had followed this forum and put my name down on the initial waitlist, though close to the end of the sign up period. I got my unit after others had already had some time with theirs and posted pictures and initial reviews, so I had an idea of what to expect. That being said, the unit really is small, and it is a work of art. I still appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it every time I use it. The smell of the finish was a little strong for me at first but it has definitely mellowed out and the taste has almost completely gone away after 2 weeks of 1-2 times daily use, though I didn’t mind it much at its strongest. It is easy and straightforward to power up, change heat levels, and change out the battery. In either quick start or normal mode (I really don’t see a difference in time, to me the only change is the order of presses) I can begin pulling at about 11-12 seconds depending on the heat level and battery charge level (more buzzes).

The capsule/mouthpiece design doesn’t bother me at all, I find it easy to both fill them and empty them and have yet to need to clean them (though I got the full package so I have 4 to switch around). So far I have not had the issues with the screens slipping that others report, though I do occasionally use a toothpick or the end of an incense stick to push the screen back snug in place if it looks a little off. As for filling them I just pour some herb in my hand and scoop it up with a capsule, quick and easy. To empty the spent ABV I wait for it to cool (30 seconds or so when removed from unit) and then invert the capsule and blow hard out the bottom. I do the same for the mouthpiece screen. This is the method I use with both the SBJ and used previously with the e-nano mp and it always keeps the various screens very clean for me with the screens going weeks or longer for me without needing to be cleaned.

As far as the vape experience itself, I have to say that I was a bit disappointed initially as I couldn’t figure out how to get the on-demand 1 or 2 big hits I was looking for. However, my opinion on this has changed significantly after more use and experimentation. Now I can say that I am super impressed with the versatility of the FW4, both as a session vape (well established by others) but also as a quick 1-2 hit big cloud machine. As others have described in detail, the FW4 is a great low-temp session vape with great flavor for me through the whole capsule, though it does of course decline after the first 3-4 hits, for me it never gets that toasted over roasted taste.

However, where the FW4 really shines for me, and where it meets or exceeds my initial functional and situational needs, is when I’m wanting a quick and discrete 1-2 big hits. For this method I usually set it to heat level 4 though it works nearly as well on level 3. I pack the capsules full with the above method though I don’t tamp it all so there is plenty of space for air movement. I start with a normal pull (keeping it right at where it begins to audibly whistle subtlety at the intake) for 2-3 seconds, then I take a series of 3-4 quick (.5 seconds) hard pulls to really draw heat into the capsule, I then just finish my hit with a normal pull speed/intensity until I feel my lungs full. For me this method results in a pull duration that is the same duration or slightly less than a low-temp steady session style pull while producing large clouds (surprising even to me) and extracting a full capsule in about 4 hits depending on the herb.

I have also been taking it with me lately when walking the dog and using it native without the mouthpiece. It has been in the thirties and forties here lately and I had no issues generating big clouds using the above method even in colder temps. I also have to say that I haven’t found it too harsh using it native either, though I’ve only done so outside in cooler temps so YMMV.

All in all I am very impressed and satisfied with the FW4, even the battery life has been greater than expected and I’m getting on average 5-6 capsules before recharging and that’s usually at 1-2 buzzes.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Thanks for the detailed write up.

Mine is sitting at a post office in my city right now and you managed to make me more excited.

Tomorrow can't come fast enough

muunch,
Reactions: vapen00b

trenchkato

Does the silicone come off the mouthpiece? There looks to be a red o-ring holding it on pretty tightly. I am bit weary of putting it in iso. I need to clean the screen inside of them as they are pretty caked up now.

I would also like to see a switch to glass screened capsules. I've had too many problems with screens not staying. It basically makes the device inoperable if it happens while out and about.

Last edited:
trenchkato,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Does the silicone come off the mouthpiece? There looks to be a red o-ring holding it on pretty tightly. I am bit weary of putting it in iso. I need to clean the screen inside of them as they are pretty caked up now.
I normally just torch my screen and run a qtip through the empty glass and silicone that was exposed. I don't take it entirely apart to clean.

I have soaked it before as well. Nothing bad seems to have happened to any of my FW mouthpieces.

Mr Mellish

I would also like to see a switch to glass screened capsules. I've had too many problems with screens not staying. It basically makes the device inoperable if it happens while out and about.

I ISO the FW3 and FW4 silicone, screen and capsule weekly. No issues so far.

BadDog No

Think for once I'm going to follow the instructions and NOT soak the silicone. Dip it maybe if I don't want to dig the screen out, but must be some reason for Marc to say not to soak. OTOH the mouthpieces are cheap enough (especially compared to the value of the weed that passes through them) that they can be considered as a consumable; disposable if need be. My :2c:. I'm down to using one screen at home anyway since I use Woodie upside down. Like others have expressed, a glass screen would be nice. If I post a link to an OGB J hook, would you guys tell me if you think it's as much "the cat's meow" as I do? It's very small, and not at all shaped like a J hook. :) Ok I'll go ahead and post this, but promise you'll come back and do the link after I get it...
EDIT:
http://oregonglassblower.com/14mm-GLASS-J-HOOK-Female-Curved-14jhfc.htm

I think I could put a rubber band or 2 around it and Woody and I could do walkabouts with a little hydration. What you think?

EDIT 2: Oh, and great post Zenryder. I've had good luck with the same "pulling heat into the capsule" technique you use. I'm not technically combusting since I haven't seen flames or smelled smoke, but I can get my ABV as black as coal. It's a problem going through water; greed is pretty much the norm. I find that like the Milaana I need to do a count if I don't want to char the "biomass".

Last edited:
Top Bottom