Firewood Vaporizer

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
This is an interesting device with a lot of potential, especially at that price, but that warranty is puzzling.

It looked to me like the load in that video was pretty small, probably under .1 g, and it sure was done when he finished. That was a lot of battery-on time though. I wish it had removable batteries. I'm pretty sure you can't use it during charging and the specs say 2600 mAh capacity so it will take a while. Actually, the specs also say 4.8V nominal which puzzles me, since that doesn't match any 18650 battery I know. I'm not a battery guru though, so perhaps there's a simple explanation.

I don't see how you would carry it loaded.

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
This is an interesting device with a lot of potential, especially at that price, but that warranty is puzzling.

It looked to me like the load in that video was pretty small, probably under .1 g, and it sure was done when he finished. That was a lot of battery-on time though. I wish it had removable batteries. I'm pretty sure you can't use it during charging and the specs say 2600 mAh capacity so it will take a while. Actually, the specs also say 4.8V nominal which puzzles me, since that doesn't match any 18650 battery I know. I'm not a battery guru though, so perhaps there's a simple explanation.

I don't see how you would carry it loaded.

The warranty is short but for a (seemingly) small start-up, I can't say I'm surprised. Removable batteries may be available on future versions if enough interest is made known to the maker ;). If the mouthpiece is secured onto the device, I think this could easily be transported without worry.

As I'd said earlier, it might arrive today. I'll give all of the FC community an eyeful... after I've had my lungful. :brow:

I was watching when he posted his first ones on reddit and I plan on buying one soon. Looking forward to reviews.

Simon Raye,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
You know, I was going to give a whole big spiel about this firewood vaporizer, and you were going to read it... instead...

GO BUY THE DAMN THING! :rockon:

Here is an actual review:

First things first, if you are hoping to use this right out of the box, I regret to inform you, that ain't happening. The unit is to be fully charged before use(4-6 hr charge period)(mine took ~4 1/2 hours). Proper charge and discharge procedure is in manual.

Onto the aesthetics while I wait for the green light(This light is on the charger, not the unit). The seams on this are immaculate, I don't even see how it opens(I do, but still, very impressed :lol:) . More wood species definitely need to be available in the future ;) . Mouthpiece is held in place by magnets embedded in the main body and the wood "tongue depressor". Alignment on everything is good. Surface is smooth; all edges rounded off. Size and weight of this vape is most comparable to a smartphone. Window is easy to see through so you can see the progress of your vaping session(load can be below window). This window is also your air intake so don't cover it!(warning in manual about this area being hot too).

The switch between the two LEDs is the master switch. No need to fear this turning on in your pocket. The switch takes a good push to move. The Firewood has a rather large chamber that can hold as much(within it's capacity) or as little(within usability) in it. How much you can have depends more-so on your "straw" depth. You don't want the tip of it within your herbs. I recommend placing a piece of 3/16th silicone tubing over the user end to safeguard your lips since the "straw" can get very hot with some inhalation techniques. That silicone can be rather hard to get on but it's a perfect fit.

Speaking of inhale techniques, This is a convection dominant vape, but conduction is occurring as well. Need to be mindful of this. The switch that heats the Firewood is at the very bottom(the separation). This is to be held for 20 second before first draw. As usual, the first pull wasn't much(flavorful though). I was getting visible vapor by third draw and mini-clouds by 5+. Vapor was somewhat tainted by an ever-so slight wood taste in the beginning but that had dissipated soon after. Coming back for round 2 and I taste nothing but pure herb vapor.

I think you could most certainly hit this & quit it. Exhaled vapor clears quickly and doesn't leave much odor around.... sufficient or do you need more?

Edit: I forgot to mention that it got my ABV to a perfect golden brown. No uneven heating present. I attribute this to shaking the unit lightly now and again. I could get it darker but it requires more testing.

Good stuff VaporEyes! How long to finish a .1g load?
What is the draw like?
70/30%convection/conduction?
I was thinking from the video, where he states you should draw slow and long, that it was conduction based. Maybe its just a lack of thermal mass(just nichrome), and the slow draw makes up for that?
Sorry, talking out loud, enjoy your vape(!) And keep us informed.
Thanks for being the guinea pig.

satyrday

With this kind of glowing review, this guy could have his etsy hands full filling orders! If I hadn't already spent entirely too much lately on vapestuff, I would order one.

satyrday,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
Good stuff VaporEyes! How long to finish a .1g load?
What is the draw like?
70/30%convection/conduction?
I was thinking from the video, where he states you should draw slow and long, that it was conduction based. Maybe its just a lack of thermal mass(just nichrome), and the slow draw makes up for that?
Sorry, talking out loud, enjoy your vape(!) And keep us informed.
Thanks for being the guinea pig.

I don't typically measure out any of my loads. I'd say I used .2g. Didn't really time it either. Less than 10 minutes to extract most actives, I think. Yes, the slow draw does make up for the loss of heat. The heater switch is your friend in this instance. If you think you need more heat, use it!

Also hows the battery life? When you get a chance.

40+ minutes of heat time, I think. You're not holding the heat trigger down your whole session though so "on" time will be longer. I've had 3 10minute sessions with it so far.

tepictoton

Euhm still have no idea how it works? I mean what is heating it? is it possible to combust?

really nice looking device, but still so many questions hihi

tepictoton,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
Euhm still have no idea how it works? I mean what is heating it? is it possible to combust?

really nice looking device, but still so many questions hihi

24 gauge nichrome wire wrapped around glass is the heater construction. Combustion is possible with any vaporizer if the right conditions are met. I think it'd be rather hard to do with the Firewood though since you are in control of the heat.

Herb is loaded on top down into glass chamber. Unit is powered on with master switch between two LEDs. Heat is engaged with "trigger"(small separation in wood at bottom). Hold trigger for ~20seconds(I go longer), begin slow draw(~20sec) to increase temperature, use the feel of the vapor to determine when to stop and exhale.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

tepictoton

thank you VaporEyes,

one more, hope this has not been answered before, where exactly does the air intake take place (meaning where does the fresh air get in and is then heated, although I understand it is the chamber itself that is heated mostly)?

tepictoton,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
Wanted to buy one, but they don't ship to Canada :(

I think this is a one man show currently. He needs more support so he can expand business.

thank you VaporEyes,

one more, hope this has not been answered before, where exactly does the air intake take place (meaning where does the fresh air get in and is then heated, although I understand it is the chamber itself that is heated mostly)?

The windowed area is where the air is draw into the unit.

VaporEyes,

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
So it goes in through the window, down across the nichrome wire and outside of the glass tube, then up into your loaded stem? And when inserting the stem, you are inserting it into the nichrome coil? Or is the nichrome wrapped around a different glass part?

nopartofme,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
That was a lot of battery-on time though. I wish it had removable batteries. I'm pretty sure you can't use it during charging and the specs say 2600 mAh capacity so it will take a while. Actually, the specs also say 4.8V nominal which puzzles me, since that doesn't match any 18650 battery I know. I'm not a battery guru though, so perhaps there's a simple explanation.

This puzzled me as well, so I reached out to the inventor and he was kind enough to answer my questions in detail.

It turns out that there actually isn't a lithium battery in here at all, instead the inventor decided he was going to use NiMH technology instead.

He had a couple reasons for this; first is the fact that lithium based cells have a much more jaded safety record. I personally think that this has long stopped being an issue with the last few generations of cells- but this is his design and he knows more about it than I do. Could be that the batteries are really close to the heating element.

At the same time, recent developments in NiMH technology has made it so that the batteries have a similar size/capacity ratios to lithium batteries. The weight ratio is not quite the same but all things considered weight is not much of an issue with vaporizers.

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
So it goes in through the window, down across the nichrome wire and outside of the glass tube, then up into your loaded stem? And when inserting the stem, you are inserting it into the nichrome coil? Or is the nichrome wrapped around a different glass part?

There's an outer glass tube, then nichrome wire, and an inner glass tube. Air enters from both sides of the body, down the outer glass, then up into your load. Herb is loaded into the vape itself, not the glass straw.

how do u clean the herb chamber?

Herbs are to be tapped out when sufficiently vaporized. Interior has remained relatively clean after multiple uses. It can however be cleaned with a swab and isopropyl alcohol if desired(I'd do this before first use).

Can it be used while its charging?

Marc has advised that the Firewood is not to be used while charging.

- - - - - -

Took the Firewood out into the "field" today. Carried around in my jacket pocket and the unit never powered on and mouthpiece remained in place.

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
I would like to report that the Firewood has "blazed" through 5 full sessions(10min of "constant" use) and one intermediate session(used then pocketed over several hours time. Powered down after each use). Batteries still seem to have enough power to continue further. Onward it is then!

Edit: Again I forget to mention my abv :doh:. I've been pushing the heater further each time as I grow accustom to the vape. Have achieved more browning(even coloring throughout load) and still not even close to combustion.

Top Bottom