FC recommendation - quoting posts

friedricey

being human
Hi,

Would it be possible for you guys to make quoting people easier?

Have a look at this website:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

All you need to do is just highlight the words that you want quoted and press a button instead of deleting and adding /quote everytime which I think is very annoying. I think it'll make replies much more accurate and enjoyable if you can implement the quoting system similar to Whirlpool.

friedricey,

Purple-Days

"Would it be possible for you guys to make quoting people easier?", asks OhTheAgony *.

If you want to highlight and copy, why not just do it? Add quotes and attribution and there you go. Much neater than the quote box IMO.

Left click and swipe to highlight, Ctrl + C is the copy command and Ctrl + V is the paste command (Windows) .

Purple-Days,

hereatlast

Oops, it was friedricey that you quoted there Tom!

I've found it very easy to just type the commands in, whether its for quoting, italics, bold etc.

hereatlast,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
vtac updates the forum software regularly, but I'm not aware of any features like this yet.

stickstones,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Right now all you have to do is click "Quote" underneath the desired post. That is pretty damn easy and takes less steps than highlighting anything.

I wouldn't hold your breath for any change like the one you have asked for.

aesthyrian,

friedricey

being human
All good. Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

It was just a thought to consider if you're open to suggestions.

The Whirlpool uses a specific quoting system so you can specifically reply to multi points that a person makes individually without needing to locate the beginning and the end of the sentence and then press control copy for the quotation code. Then needing to go back to delete unnecessary words to make it look neat and easily read.

Well if you're open to different approaches then please give it a try and you'll see what I'm trying to say before dismissing my recommendation - it just makes things efficient. It makes quoting long posts less time consuming and painful to reply.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1505825&p=7#r123

Yea I'm not holding my breath either. :)

I never write website recommendations but because I enjoy FC so much, I felt compelled to write.

friedricey,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
A quick/multi-quote feature is useful, you're right. I'll look into it, but I really try not to modify the core too heavily as it makes updating a pain.

Have you tried the bbcode hotkeys combinations? Hovering your cursor over the bbcode icons will tell you what they are. Ctrl+Q for quote.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

vtac,

friedricey

being human
I'll look into it, but I really try not to modify the core too heavily as it makes updating a pain.

Great! Well if it's not practical then the answer is obvious.

Hovering your cursor over the bbcode icons will tell you what they are. Ctrl+Q for quote.

Thanks for this. I just learnt something new. Is there a way that I can add the names as well? Or will I need to add the name= code?

friedricey,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Is there a way that I can add the names as well? Or will I need to add the name= code?
Have to type that in manually if you want to specify, unfortunately. :/

vtac,
Top Bottom