EZ Vape vs. Magic Flight Launch Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClownBaby

Cat Enthusiast
Hey guys, I'm a noob to vaporizing, this is my first time posting here, sorry if I'm a bit new to all the proper etiquette :) I've been reading FC for a while now and I really enjoy what you guys have to say here.

After years of wishing I had a vaporizer of my own, I'm finally in the market for one! I want to start small and simple, and get something that will fit my needs. I'm not a big smoker, maybe once a week or less and only when I'm out with friends or at a party, but I've gotten to the point where I have enough free time and privacy to start smoking solo, and I want a piece of my own.

I'd been considering the Vapor Genie for a really long time, but more recently I've become really enamored with the Magic Flight Launch Box...I've never used a vaporizer before, but I think it would be perfect for me. I'm a college student and am afraid about vaping in my dorm room because of the smell (however faint it may be), so something like the MFLB that would allow me to slip it in my pocket, go outside and take a few puffs with no fear of being seen sounds pretty great to me.

However, I've also just come across the EZ Vape, which is more of a traditional vaporizer (probably more effective than the MFLB) and for only half the price. The problem here is obviously the fact that it's not portable and I would have to use it in my room and keep it hidden from my roommate, but that's a risk I'm willing to take for the sake of something so cheap and convenient; after all, I can just spray some air freshener and hopefully no one will notice.

So what I'd like to know is, judging from your experience, which is the better buy for a beginner like me? A portable and stealthy vape for $100, or a more traditional vape for $50?

For reference, here are links to the two sites I was thinking of ordering from:
MFLB: http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Flight-...OMDGK/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header#productPromotions

EZ Vape: http://cgi.ebay.com/EASY-VAPE-DIGIT...ltDomain_0&hash=item2eb08fa65e#ht_2835wt_1135

Sorry for the wall of text, I don't mean to bore you guys to death but I figured a little explanation would be better than just asking "Which one should I get, this or this?" as my first post. Any comments, advice or experiences will be appreciated :)

ClownBaby,

SmokingElectricity

MFLB. all the way.

Do not buy a easy vape. Plastic garbage.

Also. ask all the questions you want. Thats what this place is for.

SmokingElectricity,

eeetripl

My first vape purchase was the MFLB. Its presently the only vaporizer I own. I use it heavily on a daily basis. I eventually will graduate to a log vape but IMO MFLB FTW.

eeetripl,

ClownBaby

Cat Enthusiast
SmokingElectricity said:

Really? I was reading on a forum where people were talking about it and the general consensus was that it works well and gets you baked. Good to know though.

ClownBaby,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Based on your stated requirements, it's not even a contest: MFLB.

I have never seen an EZ-Vape but I wouldn't consider it especially at that price. Count on a good desktop vaporizer costing you at least three times that much, although sometimes there are bargains to be had. Whatever you decide, don't buy something that you can't find information about. FC is a great source, and if it is a unit worthy of consideration then it probably has a thread here. Review it to make sure the device meets your requirements and delivers value for your dollar.

Happy vaping!

pakalolo,

SmokingElectricity

ClownBaby said:
SmokingElectricity said:

Really? I was reading on a forum where people were talking about it and the generally consensus was that it works well and gets you baked. Good to know though.

I had one. Yes it works and it works pretty good. But its made of plastic, the airflow is not separate from the electronics and it eats buds like nothing.

MFLB will save you money on bud because you use less of it. It's also a great quality product that is safe.

SmokingElectricity,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Launch Box no contest. Efficient ( more so than the other vape you mention); standard loads seem to be about 50-100 mg (yeah a 1/10-1/20 gram). Very small and stealthy. And a *LIFETIME* warranty that covers user fuck ups. Can't get any better than that.

And the plugin adapter is close to being released.

More $, but you will see a savings, in my opinion.

Tom

tdavie,

steiner666

Serial vapist
You usually get what you pay for, if a vape has a price tag that makes it seem too good to be true, it probably is.

I was going to buy an easyvape until i found this forum over a year ago, thankfully i avoided that purchase. Look into the Da Buddha, Vaporbrothers, or every a nice Silver Surfer vape. They are similar style as easy vape, only they're from reputable manufacturers with clean air paths. You dont want to be sucking on a plastic chinese made box at up to 400F every day. Your health is worth the price difference.

The MFLB is a nice vape, the best portable by far IMO. But i personally dont think that its that great of a beginner vape, but thats just me. It takes a while to get the technique down so that you're getting enjoyable and even extraction of vapor. It would definitely help if you had some experience with a desktop model so that you know what vapor is supposed to feel/taste like. Everyones different i know, but i'm just saying if the LB would have been my first vape i dont think i would have liked it or vaporization in general, at least at first.

Also, with a convection-based desktop model you'll be able to extract higher temp compounds out of your LB abv without scorching parts of it like the LB sometimes will if you stray too high into the temp range. So it's a good idea to own one in addition to your LB anyways.

steiner666,

spooky

I can't comment on the ez vape, but I would strongly suggest staying away from the lunchbox. It's a really useless product. I own one and use it as a paper weight only.. Any positive comments about that thing leave me wondering "what have they been smoking?"

My advice: save up and get something better!

mod note: You've been warned about attacking this model. It's clearly not a useless product and your claim that it is would only scare away those who know nothing about it and don't care to investigate it at all. We're not going to tolerate any more of your MF attacks, so I stongly suggest you refrain and move on.

spooky,

aero18

vaporist
spooky said:
I can't comment on the ez vape, but I would strongly suggest staying away from the lunchbox. It's a really useless product. I own one and use it as a paper weight only.. Any positive comments about that thing leave me wondering "what have they been smoking?"

My advice: save up and get something better!

There are like a hundred pages of positive reviews for the Launch Box.

EDIT: Nearing 300...

aero18,

Zot

Vaping Phool
I don't know anything about the EZ Vape, but I absolutely recommend the Launch Box. My wife and I each have one. My LB has been mostly within arms length of me for the last 7 months; I love it to pieces! When the power adapter goes into full production mode the LB will have hit '11' IMHO.

Zot,

ClownBaby

Cat Enthusiast
Sounds like I can't really go wrong with the launch box!

I had no idea they were coming out with a power adapter model for it...still, i dont know if i can wait. i dont think ill have a problem with the rechargeable batteries, I found a listing on eBay thats selling it with a free 4-piece chromium grinder and an extra 2-pack of batteries, seems like a pretty good deal.

ClownBaby,

Nycdeisel

MF LB ftw! :lol:
I have one myself, great portable and the best low priced vape that is of good quality and safe.

Nycdeisel,

Zot

Vaping Phool
ClownBaby said:

I had no idea they were coming out with a power adapter model for it...still, i dont know if i can wait. i dont think ill have a problem with the rechargeable batteries, I found a listing on eBay thats selling it with a free 4-piece chromium grinder and an extra 2-pack of batteries, seems like a pretty good deal.

Before you go on a buying spree, I'd recommend reading the Launch Box thread; or at least start towards the end of the thread and read as much as you can. There is a ton of information there, and if you read it first you'll probably save yourself some money in the long run. On edit - read this instead: http://vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magic-Flight_Launch_Box This has everything you need to know to get going with a LB. It's basically an organized 'best of' the official thread.

Here's my #1 tip: All batteries are not created equal. There are some that are definitely recommended, and some that are definitely not. I prefer Maha Powerex 2700 HSD NiMH. They don't keep a charge super long (weeks), but vape a bit hotter than Low Self Discharge (LSD) batteries that can hold a charge for months.

My #2 tip (IMHO) is not to bother with the type of grinder you mention, but to use a coffee grinder instead. The LB really shines with the fine grind you can achieve in a few seconds with a coffee grinder that you can get for around $13.

Zot,

max

Out to lunch
SmokingElectricity said:
The Easy Vape is not garbage. Nobody produces a garbage vape and then offers a 5 yr. warranty. Of the ultra cheap box vapes this one is a fairly safe buy.

"it works pretty good" (your statement) doesn't equate to garbage. The fact that it has a plastic housing means nothing, since the shell isn't exposed to vaping temps.

the airflow is not separate from the electronics
This isn't uncommon. You could say the same for the Extreme, and I don't recall anyone calling that model garbage because of it.

it eats buds like nothing.
How can it do this and also work pretty good? Going through bud quickly is a result of the hit size and temp used. The Easy Vape has no flaw that makes it worse than similar designs in this area.

I suggest you refrain from calling vapes garbage when you have no real basis for the comment. It can be taken as attacking a company/vape, vs. legit criticism.

max,

steiner666

Serial vapist
ClownBaby said:

You should see if they has 2-piece versions of the grinder to offer instead. The LB works best with a powdery-fine grind, which 4 piece grinders arent capable of achieving since the herb falls through the holes as soon as its small enough to fit. You can, of course, use a 3/4 piece grinding up-side-down to prevent the herb form falling into the collection area too soon, but, in my experience, this can cause bud powder to fall out around the grinder lid, and it also get stuck in between the lid and grinder, and as you grind it will build up into a hard green residue that will eventually cause your grinder to seize up while you are trying to grind. Again, this is just based on my experience with convenience-store bought 3 piece and 4 piece grinders, as well as teh vapeworld.com 4 piece grinder that comes with most orders over X amount of $.

also, im not sure what sort of deal you're lookin at on ebay, but you should email Chris with vapeworld.com (chris@vapeworld.com) and see about getting the FC-2010 promo discount on the LB through them. Last i checked, you cant just use the promo for the LB on the website like you used to.

steiner666,

ClownBaby

Cat Enthusiast
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm definitely not rushing into buying the launch box immediately, it will probably be a few more weeks before I've saved enough money, but all the info is definitely helping!

Zot said:
My #2 tip (IMHO) is not to bother with the type of grinder you mention, but to use a coffee grinder instead. The LB really shines with the fine grind you can achieve in a few seconds with a coffee grinder that you can get for around $13.

That actually makes a lot of sense, I would have never thought of that...I'll definitely invest in a coffee grinder next time I'm out shopping. Thanks for the tip!

steiner666 said:
im not sure what sort of deal you're lookin at on ebay, but you should email Chris with vapeworld.com (chris@vapeworld.com) and see about getting the FC-2010 promo discount on the LB through them. Last i checked, you cant just use the promo for the LB on the website like you used to.

Hmm, thats a good heads-up too...do you know how much the discount is? I'll shoot him an email when I get the chance, that would be really nice of him if he's willing to apply it for me. The eBay listing I was looking at is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Magic-Fligh...ultDomain_0&hash=item51960c2fe9#ht_9201wt_901
the extra pack of batteries was the thing that really drew my interest, of course the grinder looks really nice as well, but after reading Zot's post as mentioned above, it makes more sense to get a coffee grinder anyway. It would be really nice to have extra batteries, but it's hard to decide if I should go for it...oh well, I guess I've got plenty of time to shop around for the perfect order.

I'll definitely give Chris an email though...thanks for letting me know!

ClownBaby,

OO

Technical Skeptical
if you're worried about smells, exhale through a diffuser.

to make a diffuser, get a gatorade bottle, and cut some holes in the bottom of it, then stuff a couple dryer sheets in there, and you won't smell anything.

OO,

Zot

Vaping Phool
I don't even worry about odor with the LB. I've used it in some of the most outrageous places with absolutely zero fear that someone would smell it. Of course, I'm a semi-conservative looking old-fart that no one would expect of doing anything subversive. :brow:

As far as odors in your dorm room - you'll get more stink off of your raw herb than you do off of the LB. Seriously.

Zot,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
SmokingElectricity said:
ClownBaby said:
SmokingElectricity said:

Really? I was reading on a forum where people were talking about it and the generally consensus was that it works well and gets you baked. Good to know though.

I had one. Yes it works and it works pretty good. But its made of plastic, the airflow is not separate from the electronics and it eats buds like nothing.

MFLB will save you money on bud because you use less of it. It's also a great quality product that is safe.

My MFLB has never worked and is getting replaced and I'm still going to recommend it over the Easy Vape . I bought 2 of Easy Vapes and if you get it dialed in they can work great. do use a bit of bud. Two problems...

1. took a lot of burn it to get the fumes out of them
2. The temp is a joke it just sets the heater. If you leave it on even at a low setting it keeps getting warmer and warmer over time, its never a consistent temp it seems. I was always having issue with burning after being on too long and sometimes too low. After a few months of usage it seemed it took much longer to heat up on of the two units.

I paid $59 at a place in venice beach and $60 with 4 whips and a grinder included from ebay. I can't recommend spending over that on these devices. They are cheap and hard to get right. before that I spent like $150 on a vapolution at a local shop and it never worked well for me at all either.

On the other hand. I finally bit the bullet and bought a more premium vape for home the ExtremeQ 4.0 and couldn't be happier. That thing heats fast. has a good stable temperature. never burning anything and you can use a whip or balloons.

I might have had some bad luck but if you add up the $150+60+60 I spent in crappy vape's I could have bought a real one (which I finally did) and been really happy in the first place.

I look forward to getting my replacement MFLB and joining the happy group of owners. The EQ has got me stoked about vaping again... Great service from blissville on the MFLB

Happy Holidays
Frothy

ru_frothi,

ClownBaby

Cat Enthusiast
OO said:
if you're worried about smells, exhale through a diffuser.

to make a diffuser, get a gatorade bottle, and cut some holes in the bottom of it, then stuff a couple dryer sheets in there, and you won't smell anything.

damn, thats a great idea...i completely forgot about being able to just do that. back in the day, I used to just take an empty toilet paper roll, stuff a dryer sheet in there and exhale through that...feels like so long ago haha.

this has gotten me so excited about finally having a LB of my own...can't wait to join the party :)

ClownBaby,

max

Out to lunch
do you know how much the discount is? I'll shoot him an email when I get the chance, that would be really nice of him if he's willing to apply it for me. The eBay listing I was looking at is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Magic-Flight-La 9201wt_901
the extra pack of batteries was the thing that really drew my interest
You have to contact the dealer to get the discount price. Your price from Vapeworld or Puffitup is going to be better than the eBay deal, even with a couple of extra batteries.

max,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Zot said:
I don't even worry about odor with the LB. I've used it in some of the most outrageous places with absolutely zero fear that someone would smell it. Of course, I'm a semi-conservative looking old-fart that no one would expect of doing anything subversive. :brow:

As far as odors in your dorm room - you'll get more stink off of your raw herb than you do off of the LB. Seriously.

Yeah i used to hit my LB right in the office at work. Have had people come in literally seconds after i exhale, or once even BEFORE i could exhale and they didnt smell a thing. I know because some of them were friends and i asked them if it smelled like I was up to anything and they said no every time. As long as you dont scorch anything, the smell is almost non existent. If you blow a hit directly at someones face they will be able to smell it just like they would be able to smell what you had for lunch probably. It doesnt linger any longer than that.

steiner666,

SmokingElectricity

@max

i'm not attacking nothing. i'm giving the man my opinion.

let me rephrase it...

the unit i owned did the job it was meant to do, but i felt the product was unsafe. the wire of the unit is was very frail and thin. the electronics were not separate from the airflow, this bothers me. so did the plastic housing. the temp gauge was very inaccurate. the highest i could go on the unit without it combusting was 222F.

so in the end i can only comment on the unit i owned. did the product work. yes it did. not too well but it somewhat did the job it claimed, and if effeciency does not matter, then by all means this might be the vape for you. but sadly this was not the right vape for me. if this was my first vape, i may have been put off vaporizers all together. i'm not knocking the maker either. everybody is different and everybody likes different things.but in the long run [and i'm pretty sure you agree with me on this]

MFLB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Easy Vape

SmokingElectricity,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom